home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
asan7
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive

Paint splatter under clear coat?

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has seen anything like this. They're in a few spots on my 2024 M240i xdrive. Sorry the picture is a bit hard to see. I tried rubbing it with a clay bar, some mild degreaser and rubbing hard with a microfiber cloth, and nothing works. When I pick at it with my fingernail it glides right over top, which makes me think it's under the clear coat, but I'm not an expert. It's on a few other spots on the car, but just one or two specks at a time. This is under the driver side mirror and there's a lot of them. Car is garage kept, at home and at work. I do not think it is any drippings from a tree.

The color of the car is brooklyn grey, and the specks seem to be a darker, more concentrated brooklyn grey, which led me to believe the paint splattered somehow. I don't know if it's even possible for that to happen, but I'm out of ideas and I'm still waiting on a response from the dealer.

Any ideas? If it is under the clear coat, do you think I could get BMW to do anything to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i G42

I have a '23 BG and I have strange overspray on my rear black diffuser, on the black plastic above the rear taillights when trunk is open, and even extended to the inside panel of my driver side door. No idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
asan7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
I have a '23 BG and I have strange overspray on my rear black diffuser, on the black plastic above the rear taillights when trunk is open, and even extended to the inside panel of my driver side door. No idea.
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you ask the dealer about it at all or just have accepted it?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 05:38 PM   #4
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by asan7 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you ask the dealer about it at all or just have accepted it?
I bought the car used a couple months ago and it came like this. Haven't brought it up to the dealer. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 11:50 AM   #5
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

My 2023 is Alpine White. I have a black spec under the clearcoat at the rear of the spoiler. Maybe a 1/4 inch behind the spoiler edge. Pointed it out to BMW service and was told it was caused by my hand applying a ceramic coating. Not their problem. Basically, their professional opinion was that using a foam applicator and the speed my old hand could generate while applying the coating, in a close space behind the spoiler, heated the paint up so much that a surface piece of dirt melted into the paint. Yea, they said that.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 02:25 PM   #6
asan7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
My 2023 is Alpine White. I have a black spec under the clearcoat at the rear of the spoiler. Maybe a 1/4 inch behind the spoiler edge. Pointed it out to BMW service and was told it was caused by my hand applying a ceramic coating. Not their problem. Basically, their professional opinion was that using a foam applicator and the speed my old hand could generate while applying the coating, in a close space behind the spoiler, heated the paint up so much that a surface piece of dirt melted into the paint. Yea, they said that.
Ohhhhh boy this will be fun to deal with lol. I haven’t touched the paint other than washing by hand so I’d like to see what excuse they can come up with!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 04:38 PM   #7
asan7
Rep

Update on this, BMW dealership seemed kind of surprised, in a beneficial way for me. They didn’t speculate what it was, they didn’t seem to think it could have been something I did or came from the road. I believe they thought it could have been something that went wrong during painting.

They said they’re submitting it to BMW to see how they want to rectify, whether it’s paint correction/repaint/etc.
Appreciate 0