home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-28-2024, 09:14 PM   #1
goldg87
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

G87 vs g42 headlights different!

Making this post because I made the mistake of purchasing m240 headlights instead of the M2 headlights. I thought I found what was a really good deal on eBay. I was trying to upgrade my base model headlights to the signature adaptive led headlights. The eBay listing stated they were for a g87 m2 or g42 m240. I don’t blame anyone but myself but just making this post so nobody else makes the same mistake. The m240 lights don’t fit the curve of the fender and they do not have a mounting point for the small plastic piece under the headlights. Below is a picture of a standard g42 headlight versus the adaptive headlights . I attached pictures so you can see the key differences. The headlights are plug and play though. If you plan on upgrading from the base model headlight to the adaptive, you will need somebody to code them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 09:54 PM   #2
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 10:10 PM   #3
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post

I would day its just worthless (don't need pictures). One should know what part the are purchasing and what part/part number fits their car. Oh, and just my two pennies...don't buy new oem parts from ebay (personally, I wouldn't buy any car part off ebay).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 05:39 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Oh, and just my two pennies...don't buy new oem parts from ebay (personally, I wouldn't buy any car part off ebay).
Many dealer parts departments also sell on ebay (as well as Amazon), and usually have either better prices or free shipping on ebay vs buying through their website, fyi.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 06:56 AM   #5
goldg87
Registered
Rep

Why is it worthless? The Only thing worthless was your comment. Why don’t you add a bit of value to your comment by differentiating the part numbers from the base g42 lights to the adaptive headlights. While your at it go ahead and add the part numbers for the g87 base headlights vs the adaptive headlights. From my research they were the same. Just trying to help someone In the future from making the same mistake, if they ever need to replace one headlight. There is no information online about the key differences hence why I made this post. But thanks again for your worthless opinion. Dismissed!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 07:44 AM   #6
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldg87 View Post
Why is it worthless? The Only thing worthless was your comment. Why don’t you add a bit of value to your comment by differentiating the part numbers from the base g42 lights to the adaptive headlights. While your at it go ahead and add the part numbers for the g87 base headlights vs the adaptive headlights. From my research they were the same. Just trying to help someone In the future from making the same mistake, if they ever need to replace one headlight. There is no information online about the key differences hence why I made this post. But thanks again for your worthless opinion. Dismissed!

Common sense...why didnt YOU look up part numbers and verified what worked/or was compatible BEFORE wasting your money. As to your "warning" people they are different. Duh! I think most look up parts numbers/compatibility before making their purchase, no matter what type of part (and thise that are really lazy, would at least make a post here asking for part numbers).

I guess two lessons learned, 1)look up part numbers and confirm compatibility, and 2) don't believe what some idiot posts on ebay.

Last edited by M_Power Rob; 08-29-2024 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
goldg87
Registered
Rep

I see you have terrible reading comprehension. The part numbers would not be the same because I would be going from base headlights to adaptive. Again I don’t see you adding any part numbers to actual benefit this post. Go ahead and post them since you have so much knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 11:22 AM   #8
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Just for additional information re: part numbers, sometimes dealer parts departments don't know or give you the correct part number. I just ordered an M Performance flow through rear spoiler for my wife's X3MC. The dealer confirmed the part number but when it arrived, it was the wrong part. It was the spoiler for the standard X3. The dealership had to put in a request to BMW to get the correct part number because their ordering system showed it to be correct. The correct part was the same price but included two pieces instead of one.

So it's not always as simple as "do your due diligence and look up the part numbers".

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 0