BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

08-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #1
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Talking Active Autowerke Midpipe Selection Explained

Active Autowerke keeps updating its catalog, which has led to so many midpipe designs. While more options are a good thing, and im glad they keep improving this platform, it has reached a point where it can be confusing. I'm not saying this isn't good; I'm happy to see them pushing the boundaries. But it's time for a dedicated thread to clarify the differences.

Let's start first with the original designs.

1- the X-Pipe. This midpipe is offered as a straight or catted pipe. The X-pipe sound is exotic and has a high pitch. Perfect for customers wanting an aggressive sound and do not mind the rasp

2- the single midpipe. It is offered as a straight pipe or resonated. this midpipe offers the cleanest tone with a deep midrange sound and zero rasp or drone

3- The equal length. This midpipe sound is between the single and the X-pipe; it's not as clean as the single but much more aggressive with a deep midrange sound and aggressive high RPM tone. And although raspy, it's not as raspy as the X-pipe.

Gen 1 was released as a straight pipe with an excellent sound, but one drawback was the cold start (it had a metallic sound to it) and the added rasp on high RPM.

Gen 2 is released as a resonated version of Gen 1 to keep the pros of the equal length but minimize the cons.

Gen 2 with the added resonator is the same as the regular Gen 2 but adds another resonator to the midpipe to lower the tone even more and eliminate the unwanted noise.

Please note that Gen 1 and Gen 2 are available for purchase. At this time, Active Autowerke has not discontinued any of its midpipe options.

You will also notice a listing that says equal length upgrade; this listing is for customers that already have the equal length Gen 1 and want to upgrade to the Gen 2. If you are on stock midpipe, please do not select this listing thinking you will be getting the full Gen 2 midpipe for a fraction of the price. Instead, you will receive only the parts needed for the Gen 1 upgrade.

Gen 1

Gen 2

Phone number 702-494-9435
      08-27-2024, 11:05 PM   #2
Tay101
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 Oldsmobuick

Thank you for the explanation. This is very helpful.

Do you know how much the optional 100 cell cats on the x-pipe version would help with the smell if running catless down pipes? Do you know if the optional cats would hold up to track use?

Does AA offer the x-pipe for the G87? I only see it for the G80/G82,

One last question, what type of sound would you get with the ER h-pipe compared to the x, single and EL?
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2024, 06:29 AM   #3
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay101 View Post
Thank you for the explanation. This is very helpful.

Do you know how much the optional 100 cell cats on the x-pipe version would help with the smell if running catless down pipes? Do you know if the optional cats would hold up to track use?

Does AA offer the x-pipe for the G87? I only see it for the G80/G82,

One last question, what type of sound would you get with the ER h-pipe compared to the x, single and EL?
Good question on the ER (I have one NIB waiting for the car). All ER says about the “H” is:
**Reduced Exhaust Droning**: Utilizes an "H" style crossover to balance exhaust pressure, minimizing droning while improving low-end torque.
I would assume an X pipe accomplishes the same thing.
      08-28-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Good question on the ER (I have one NIB waiting for the car). All ER says about the “H” is:
**Reduced Exhaust Droning**: Utilizes an "H" style crossover to balance exhaust pressure, minimizing droning while improving low-end torque.
I would assume an X pipe accomplishes the same thing.
The X pipe gives the car a more exotic sound with a high pitch on high RPM. Unfortunately, this also leads to more rasp.

Appreciate 2
      08-28-2024, 05:22 PM   #5
gondolafanclub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

need sound clips along with the descriptions
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 05:55 PM   #6
gondolafanclub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also forgive the dumb question, but the flange spacing on the single midpipe vs the equal length- does the single mid delete that crossover pipe entirely?

I'm looking for some bang for the buck on what direction I want to go with an exhaust so I'm thinking a downpipe back midpipe with the stock muffler and a valve controller but I dont know which way I want to go. I feel like most of the clips on youtube are so bad sound quality wise and they dont tell you exactly which exhaust system or pieces they're using, they dont use the same car settings, they dont rev past 3k rpm, etc etc its really hard to decide.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 12:09 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondolafanclub View Post
need sound clips along with the descriptions
im counting on you guys to provide the sound clips with the different setups.

Quote:
Also forgive the dumb question, but the flange spacing on the single midpipe vs the equal length- does the single mid delete that crossover pipe entirely?

I'm looking for some bang for the buck on what direction I want to go with an exhaust so I'm thinking a downpipe back midpipe with the stock muffler and a valve controller but I dont know which way I want to go. I feel like most of the clips on youtube are so bad sound quality wise and they dont tell you exactly which exhaust system or pieces they're using, they dont use the same car settings, they dont rev past 3k rpm, etc etc its really hard to decide.
Yes, the single deletes the crossover pipe.

Catted downpipes + a resonated single midpipe is an excellent option to upgrade the sound of your exhaust.

and if you want more in the future, you can upgrade the axle back

Appreciate 1
      08-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

A single midpipe is definitely what you are looking for. It creates a very nice deep sound with extra volume so you you get the feel of an exhausts system without spending to much money. Adding a valve controller will only enhance the volume even more if that's what your after.

Click below for some budget friendly options.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 11:24 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
A single midpipe is definitely what you are looking for. It creates a very nice deep sound with extra volume so you you get the feel of an exhausts system without spending to much money. Adding a valve controller will only enhance the volume even more if that's what your after.

Click below for some budget friendly options.
+1

if you are looking for the cleanest sound with a deep mid range, get the single midpipe

the equal length offers a deeper and more aggressive sound, but rasp on high RPM and rattles on cold start

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 04:00 PM   #10
daddyjaxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
I feel like most of the clips on youtube are so bad sound quality wise and they dont tell you exactly which exhaust system or pieces they're using, they dont use the same car settings, they dont rev past 3k rpm
[Insert:HoldMyBeerMeme]

I've got the Gen1 AA EL with an SST controller
I'm installing the Gen 2 over the weekend and will do a comparison soon

https://youtube.com/shorts/wb5HnLdOn...fzfeHdBnCk0RUz
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2024, 04:37 PM   #11
gondolafanclub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That sounds pretty good to me