BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-03-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 IS500 F/24 X3 M40i/08 Z4 si

Garage List
MIG Welding DIY?

I'm of the mindset that if I can teach myself to do something without it taking too much of my time, and the ROI is definitely there, then I'd rather do it myself. Not for anything but to challenge myself, to make sure it's done perfectly (at least to my expectations), and for the convenience of doing it on my own time.

MIG welding: I've always wondered how hard can it be. I need some minor welding done on an exhaust system (very minor) and this is presenting itself as an opportunity to invest in a cheap MIG welder and do it myself. No pipe bending or flaring needed. Just straight up welding two pieces together. Again though, I can always find uses for a welder in my garage.

Cheap MIG welder would only cost <$150 from HF. Not the best of quality probably but seems like a great start for DIYer from the reviews. Add a set of gloves, helmet and welding core, still well below $250.

Question for those pro or DIY welders, how hard is it to learn on your own?
2014 550i (sold)
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619076.50
      09-03-2024, 11:43 AM   #2
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

As with any other DIY skill, it takes patience and practice. I've been DIY welding for about 45 years, with 4 different and progressively better and more capable welders. Most stuff I do is for myself, but some for others. Everything from repairing a leg on a Weber Kettle grill, to a new bucket on a front-end loader on a tractor. Buy the welder, get some scrap metal pieces and practice, practice, practice. If you have the patience and skills to do a decent job running a bead of caulk, cutting in with a paint brush, or mudding and taping drywall, you can learn to weld. I use the caulking and painting examples because to run a decent weld bead you need to control your hand movements and speed. Good luck!

Last edited by JerryW235; 09-03-2024 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 2
David701672.00
      09-03-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to MIG weld instead of stick weld? I know MIG makes for cleaner welds, but a flux core welding setup is a lot easier to get into as a hobbyist, you don't need gas or anything like that
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 02:52 PM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 IS500 F/24 X3 M40i/08 Z4 si

Garage List
Patience and practice I can do (I still hate caulking). Definitely sound advice to practice on some scrap metal, but great to hear that this can def be a DIY skill. I've watched a couple of YT videos but to your point I need a little more how-to on movement and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
As with any other DIY skill, it takes patience and practice. I've been DIY welding for about 45 years, with 4 different and progressively better and more capable welders. Most stuff I do is for myself, but some for others. Everything from repairing a leg on a Weber Kettle grill, to a new bucket on a front-end loader on a tractor. Buy the welder, get some scrap metal pieces and practice, practice, practice. If you have the patience and skills to do a decent job running a bead of caulk, cutting in with a paint brush, or mudding and taping drywall, you can learn to weld. I use the caulking and painting examples because to run a decent weld bead you need to control your hand movements and speed. Good luck!
I honestly have only heard of MIG and TIG welding from the shops I used to take my cars to. I'll definitely look into stick weld if it's easier for a beginner. Although when I was reviewing the specific MIG welder I was looking into at HF, it didn't require gas. Either way, I'm not looking for the prettiest welds, so I'll take whatever is easier and cheaper. I'll do more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to MIG weld instead of stick weld? I know MIG makes for cleaner welds, but a flux core welding setup is a lot easier to get into as a hobbyist, you don't need gas or anything like that
2014 550i (sold)
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 03:01 PM   #5
Toddbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22

Check the local Community College classes. They should have a beginners/introduction welding class. I took one, and was able to try and
learn on all the different types, along with learning safety and used their equipment and supplies to practice. It was a class, for students to start
their set of classes for a welders career, so there were tests (which I did pass).
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619076.50
      09-03-2024, 03:15 PM   #6
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
If you were looking at the Chicago Electric one, it's a flux core or MIG welder, depending on what you're welding, you have to buy the correct welding wire.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 03:50 PM   #7
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Patience and practice I can do (I still hate caulking). Definitely sound advice to practice on some scrap metal, but great to hear that this can def be a DIY skill. I've watched a couple of YT videos but to your point I need a little more how-to on movement and speed.

I honestly have only heard of MIG and TIG welding from the shops I used to take my cars to. I'll definitely look into stick weld if it's easier for a beginner. Although when I was reviewing the specific MIG welder I was looking into at HF, it didn't require gas. Either way, I'm not looking for the prettiest welds, so I'll take whatever is easier and cheaper. I'll do more research.
This might be more info than you want but here goes. Stick welding is done with a metal rod, covered in flux to shield the weld, held by a clamp or "stinger". The rod is 12-18" long, and can be a lot harder to control. But, it's less complicated and needs less equipment, and a plain old stick welder is usually cheaper. MIG or Metal Inert Gas uses sort of a pistol grip attached to a hose, that the wire and inert gas are fed through. The gas serves about the same shielding purpose of the flux on a stick welder. A Flux Core MIG welder does away with the bottle of inert gas, and the flux is inside the wire and serves the purpose of shielding the weld. It's kind of a combination of the two types, MIG and Stick. TIG, or Tungsten Inert Gas uses a tungsten rod in a holder as an electrode to create heat, and a metal rod to act as the filler. For most people it's more difficult to learn, more complicated, and the equipment is more expensive.

For what you want to do, get started and practice, a flux core would be fine. Or, get a MIG welder without a gas set up, and run flux core. Most MIG units can do that. It's what I've done when outside in a breeze where the gas would get blown away.
      09-03-2024, 04:10 PM   #8
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

A mig welder is a wonderful tool to have in the shop, and as you alluded to, all sorts of welding jobs will pop up once you get proficient.
I would advise not to buy that elcheapo HF welder, only an experienced welder could get a decent weld out of those machines, they are very limited and frustrating.
Have a look on Craigs for a used entry level Lincoln welder, you won't regret it and if welding isn't for you, you will get every cent back when you sell it.

Using fluxcore wire means you don't have to invest in gas tanks but be prepared for messy welds with lots of splatter.
Mig is probably the easiest to learn on, it's very forgiving and your welds will improve quickly.
      09-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to MIG weld instead of stick weld?
He wants to do welding on an exhaust system. Stick is the last type you want to do on that.
Either MIG (I wouldn't really advise flux core there, but if budget is tight....), or TIG.
TIG has a steep learning curve. MIG is quick and easy, especially if you want to weld on a car (1 hand operation).
TIG looks beautiful (if you master it), and MIG looks messy, especially fluxcore. Fluxcore welds pretty hot, so it's easy to blow through the exhaust and therefore less suitable (do short, overlapping welds)
Stainless or iron exhaust? On stainless it's better to use tig.
But exhaustwelding isn't that easy. Often thin material, backpurge, etc

For versatility, stick or MIG is the best, but it depends on what you want.
If you want to do bodywork on cars, you need MIG with gas (you make countless short stitchwelds that you grind back. You want no heat in your panels)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-03-2024 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bruuuce361.00
      09-03-2024, 04:54 PM   #10
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Flux core mig sucks! Never seen anyone succeed with that. Better off with stick.

But for versatility and ease of use, a gas mig welder wins. The more money you can put into getting a decent welder and gas setup, the easier the learning will be. And industrial gas is way cheaper than the tiny hobby gas bottles.

Personally I'd go used welder to save some £$. And get an auto darkening welding helmet. Even the cheap ones are ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 06:24 PM   #11
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
He wants to do welding on an exhaust system. Stick is the last type you want to do on that.
Either MIG (I wouldn't really advise flux core there, but if budget is tight....), or TIG.
TIG has a steep learning curve. MIG is quick and easy, especially if you want to weld on a car (1 hand operation).
TIG looks beautiful (if you master it), and MIG looks messy, especially fluxcore. Fluxcore welds pretty hot, so it's easy to blow through the exhaust and therefore less suitable (do short, overlapping welds)
Stainless or iron exhaust? On stainless it's better to use tig.
But exhaustwelding isn't that easy. Often thin material, backpurge, etc

For versatility, stick or MIG is the best, but it depends on what you want.
If you want to do bodywork on cars, you need MIG with gas (you make countless short stitchwelds that you grind back. You want no heat in your panels)
This. You are not going to weld exhaust pipes with stick rod. MiG/Tig and be done with it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 07:48 AM   #12
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Good thread, I was using stick and flux core interchangeably, because I am an idiot.

I blame the YouTube videos of the guys testing $20 Temu welders I've been watching. They look like impact guns and take a flux core welding rod.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 08:10 AM   #13
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
MIG welding: I've always wondered how hard can it be.
Why do I have a mental picture of Jeremy Clarkson of "Top Gear" fame asking this same question?

I can solder tiny surface-mount chips onto a printed circuit board by hand, but every time that I've ever tried to lay a bead with a MIG welder has been a disaster that ended with cleanup with an angle grinder and calling a professional to re-do the weld.

Taking welding classes at the local BOCES was on my bucket list until my ticker failed and is being fired by a pacemaker, since I can't even be in the same room as an arc welder or large transformer any more.

Best of luck learning this skill that I wish I could have mastered.....
      09-04-2024, 10:25 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Why do I have a mental picture of Jeremy Clarkson of "Top Gear" fame asking this same question?

I can solder tiny surface-mount chips onto a printed circuit board by hand, but every time that I've ever tried to lay a bead with a MIG welder has been a disaster that ended with cleanup with an angle grinder and calling a professional to re-do the weld.

Taking welding classes at the local BOCES was on my bucket list until my ticker failed and is being fired by a pacemaker, since I can't even be in the same room as an arc welder or large transformer any more.

Best of luck learning this skill that I wish I could have mastered.....
You need an antique coat of armor, that's all.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619076.50
      09-06-2024, 07:40 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Over the years all exhaust welding I've seen done has been via TIG.

I did a lot of stick and MIG welding. (And some brazing, too.) The MIG welder puts down a pretty bead -- and forms a good weld joint -- but my experience was with heavier gauge steel. Same for my stick welding.

I never TIG welded.

Taking a welding class or two the local CC is a good idea. At some point you could probably arrange to weld the exhaust system as part of your school work.

For just a one off weld for an exhaust system rather than buy a MIG welder I'd just arrange to take the job to a highly regarded shop and have a professional welder do the work.

You can certainly buy a MIG (or stick or TIG) welder for home projects but no one welder suffices for all welding projects.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 08:04 AM   #16
Bc2005
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I took a welding class at a local high school and we learned the basics of everything but TIG (we even welded with a torch).

Stick welding can handle a lot of jobs, and can handle really thick metal, but it’s messy and it takes some time to understand how to properly weld thicker materials and get a good weld. The welders are often relatively cheap, but it would not be my choice for light duty welding.

MIG with gas is much easier easy to learn, and the shielding gas really improves the look and smoothness of the welds. It’s my first choice for general flexibility. However, if you plan to weld outside, consider how you will handle a windy day when the shielding gas is blowing away.

TIG works well, but requires clean metal, and it’s slower than MIG. It would work well for new work, especially if you want precision and really clean welds, but is probably not the best solution for DIY repairs of old material.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619076.50
      09-06-2024, 10:48 AM   #17
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
I'm of the mindset that if I can teach myself to do something without it taking too much of my time, and the ROI is definitely there, then I'd rather do it myself. Not for anything but to challenge myself, to make sure it's done perfectly (at least to my expectations), and for the convenience of doing it on my own time.

MIG welding: I've always wondered how hard can it be. I need some minor welding done on an exhaust system (very minor) and this is presenting itself as an opportunity to invest in a cheap MIG welder and do it myself. No pipe bending or flaring needed. Just straight up welding two pieces together. Again though, I can always find uses for a welder in my garage.

Cheap MIG welder would only cost <$150 from HF. Not the best of quality probably but seems like a great start for DIYer from the reviews. Add a set of gloves, helmet and welding core, still well below $250.

Question for those pro or DIY welders, how hard is it to learn on your own?
I apprenticed under a pipe fitter for a summer. Welded all day long for most of a summer.

I wouldn’t buy a $150 welding rig. Not enough power. Power matters. You need electrical supply in the house/garage/barn to drive a proper rig.

If you are trying to ROI justify buying a welder for a small exhaust patch job, forget about it. Pay the exhaust shop $150 or $200 for the repair and be done with it.

A welding rig will be a curiosity for you, then you will lose interest or have no need for it. Like any machine tool at home for DIY use - table saw, chop saw, tile saw, drill press, jointer, etc. I have had most of them and they sat idle 95% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 11:22 AM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I'm not a welder but I do steel and structural engineering.

Welding properly is most definitely a skill and it is not as easy as you think. Learning about which fillers to use, how to setup the volts/amps/feed rate, how to prep the material, how to properly tack or reinforce so that you don't get deformation from cooling, proper technique, all the types of welds and when to use backing plates or backgouging, etc etc...

I know most of these things and I'm a terrible welder.

That being said, I suggest you learn how to stick weld over mig weld. You'll learn far more stick welding and your welds will be better. You'll spend less time worrying about argon, co2, welding wire and more time on the actual technique. We use our mig welders for high production rates on simple welds which are mostly fillets. If this is just a hobby and you're not doing any major work where porous welds and internal defects can cause major failures then do whatever. If you want to take it seriously, definitely go stick.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #19
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
^agree

MIG is for production work. Stick is for playing around for example a small exhaust patch. More power = more better

Last edited by chassis; 09-06-2024 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 01:53 PM   #20
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
That being said, I suggest you learn how to stick weld over mig weld.
He wants to weld on an exhaust system and in his garage. I assume that includes other work on cars.
There is no place for stickwelding when you talk about cars. Everything done on cars or consumer vehicles in general is done with either mig or tig.
If he has agricultural vehicles, it's a different story. That's often thick steel so stick becomes an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
More power = more better
This is nonsense when it comes to welding.
The right amount of power is where it's at. And often it's less than most people expect.

A stick welder is useful if you want to build a frame for a bench in your garden out of angle iron or so. So construction work from fairly thick iron.
Although you can also do that perfectly with MIG. But a stick welder is much cheaper, so for private use, that's usually used for that.
The applications that you have to/must use stick welding over mig welding for private use are very rare. As said, the main advantage of stick welding (for private use) is that you have less problems welding outside where the wind can blow away the shielding gas. For that, flux core mig might be an alternative for stick welding though.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-06-2024 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
NYG11585.50
      09-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #21
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm not a welder but I do steel and structural engineering.

Welding properly is most definitely a skill and it is not as easy as you think. Learning about which fillers to use, how to setup the volts/amps/feed rate, how to prep the material, how to properly tack or reinforce so that you don't get deformation from cooling, proper technique, all the types of welds and when to use backing plates or backgouging, etc etc...

I know most of these things and I'm a terrible welder.

That being said, I suggest you learn how to stick weld over mig weld. You'll learn far more stick welding and your welds will be better. You'll spend less time worrying about argon, co2, welding wire and more time on the actual technique. We use our mig welders for high production rates on simple welds which are mostly fillets. If this is just a hobby and you're not doing any major work where porous welds and internal defects can cause major failures then do whatever. If you want to take it seriously, definitely go stick.
He seems to be asking about exhaust welding. You do not want to stick weld that. MiG or tig. Also, we use MiG for 90% of the work I do which is industrial piping ( oil refineries) carbon/stainless/Chrome is all done with high frequency MiG machines. They are Not cheap!! The days of stick welding are long gone. The speed of the MiG and how nice of a weld it gives, just can’t be beat. Exhaust piping is just to thin for stick welding. Its a huge pain in the balls.
Appreciate 1
NYG11585.50