BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-04-2024, 12:53 PM   #155
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
If I could do it over again I would use different stainless mesh, another guy on the forums found some mesh that I’d like to install at some point.
The black mesh the other member used sure looks great, but that company lists the open area of their products and that one is 48%, so the 4 small openings on the Turner skid plate are further reduced by more than half.

I think you made the right choice with the mesh 5. It's strong, provides protection against the small projectiles large enough to destroy the air cooler and will slow and deflect anything that does pass through.

I'm installing all the mesh so that the sharp edges are above the openings to avoid slicing a finger / palm.
Appreciate 1
MPR1919.00
      09-06-2024, 02:16 PM   #156
Antique-ace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Garage List
I wish Mishimoto would make a similar design skid plate for the G42 or that Turner made their G42 skid plate similar to this, then we would not have to take the time and effort to add mesh to the Turner skid plate. (This one if for the G8X M2/M3/M4 2021+).

Name:  Mishmoto skid plate .jpg
Views: 99
Size:  101.3 KB

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3 Coupe.
Appreciate 3
MPR1919.00
      09-06-2024, 02:48 PM   #157
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
I'm installing all the mesh so that the sharp edges are above the openings to avoid slicing a finger / palm.
Does this mean putting the mesh on the upper/oil cooler side?

If yes, I would buy longer bolts to prevent contact with the oil cooler.
Appreciate 1
Mike_H_285.50
      09-07-2024, 08:28 AM   #158
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Does this mean putting the mesh on the upper/oil cooler side?

If yes, I would buy longer bolts to prevent contact with the oil cooler.
Thanks, I purchased the longer bolts you used and also an assortment pack of M10 hard rubber spacers instead of metal washers. The pack has depths of 0.59” 0.39” 0.20” so I can figure out the best fit to create space.

The genuine BMW oil-cooler arrived and it's EXTREMELY light and seems very fragile. My dealer said it needed to come from Germany, but I was able to find one on the West Coast.

While I was researching replacing the oil cooler to see if it was something I wanted to do (it's a very easy, straightforward repair), there isn't any other BMW model with the oil cooler lower and more exposed and at such a high-risk for damage as the M240 ZTK, the others are unprotected but tucked up out of the way.

The only hassle will be removing the "bash blocks" that protect the brackets. I'm going to create a thread and post pics to seek advice if anyone has removed them without drilling them out, because every oil cooler repair / replace video I've watched has drilled them, but the fastener sure looks like a tri-wing bit would remove it.
Appreciate 1
MPR1919.00