bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

09-08-2024, 11:58 AM   #1
cardy
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M,G42 M240i

AliExpress Alcantara Steering Wheel

I've been really surprised at the number of G42 parts that are available on AliExpress. Reviews aren't the most reliable on there though, so I was wondering if anyone had experience or opinions on some of the alcantara steering wheels that are available? I was looking at this one specifically, but there are tons of options that are very similar.

One of my biggest gripes with my 240 is how different the texture of the wheel material is compared to my X5 M.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 12:37 PM   #2
cardy
Rep

I realize that someone is probably going to come along and ask why I don't just pick up a OEM competition wheel like this or even the one with carbon. I clearly didn't do much research on this topic before looking for non-OEM replacements, that's on me. But I am still curious for opinions on the stuff on AliExpress. I do like an alcantara wheel, and I was thinking about doing the dash and pillars in alcantara as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Yes. I’d definitely trust a non certified steering wheel knocked up in a back shop by an 8 year old from China. It’s just the reassurance I’d be looking for in a key structural component.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 01:28 PM   #4
cardy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Yes. I’d definitely trust a non certified steering wheel knocked up in a back shop by an 8 year old from China. It’s just the reassurance I’d be looking for in a key structural component.
The fact that you think that having a name brand indicates that it isn't made in the same factory by an 18 year old instead of an 8 year old is interesting.

There is always the thought about the condescending comments that will be posted in reply before hitting that post button...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 02:17 PM   #5
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardy View Post
The fact that you think that having a name brand indicates that it isn't made in the same factory by an 18 year old instead of an 8 year old is interesting.

There is always the thought about the condescending comments that will be posted in reply before hitting that post button...
The fact you think they are the same and go through the same certification process is interesting.
You do you.
Appreciate 1
SDKevin86.50
      09-08-2024, 02:34 PM   #6
cardy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
The fact you think they are the same and go through the same certification process is interesting.
You do you.
I was asking to have a conversation about issues like the certification. My Dad always said it isn't what you say it's how you say it. Thanks internet cool guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 04:06 PM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardy View Post
I was asking to have a conversation about issues like the certification. My Dad always said it isn't what you say it's how you say it. Thanks internet cool guy.
Oh the irony.
You asked for an opinion on Aliexpress steering wheels. Can’t help if you don’t like the opinion or don’t agree with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 04:18 PM   #8
cardy
Rep

Do you even know what the word irony means? I asked for an opinion and then you gave me facts and we're condescending in the way in which you went about it. Is it that I didn't like your opinion or I didn't appreciate the way that you gave it? Clearly you don't know.
Appreciate 1
viperx100674.50
      09-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #9
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

I mean, there is probably a factory in China making the steering wheels for BMW. The problem with buying on aliexpress is that the vendor can puff themselves up into whoever they want to be. You don't know if you are working with a high tier ISO manufacturer, or one of their resellers, or a shed with a dirt floor just using someone else's photos.

What type of leather does your X5M have on the wheel? I wonder what is on the G42 steering wheel. Its definitely a step up from what is on the seats and console but I doubt its BMWs finest either. I just got my 2018 GTR back on the road... if you want to appreciate your G42 steering wheel, grab ahold of a Nissan. I didn't realize I became a steering wheel material snob until driving that car again after 2 years of BMWs. I am actually looking for someone to do the wheel for that car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 10:40 AM   #10
cardy
Rep

I think that you are right about the uncertainty of the vendors on AliExpress. The end result could be something you would see on the expectation versus reality subreddit. And the fact that I was able to find an OEM G87 competition wheel for roughly the same price kind of makes it a no-brainer. My X5 has the competition wheel, the leather is quite a bit better than my g42. But you are right I'm probably spoiled at this point. My 2015 328 also had the competition wheel and that is just what I am used to.
Appreciate 0