home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-03-2024, 01:21 PM   #1
CanadianM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Anyone come from M2?

Hey all, I’m curious if any G42 M240i XDrive owners have any experience with the N55 M2 (or S55) And how you would compare the experience

I’ve been considering swapping out my OG M2 & my daily Golf R for a 23+ XDrive with the Gen2 B58.. I quite like the interior update overall & with the large screen it seems like a very nice cabin to be in year round. It has to be Portimao blue though, non negotiable as I’m a sucker for blue!

My VW has been on a upgraded turbo for 5 years of daily driving through Canadian winters without issue and I’d be looking to do the same with the M240i.

Obviously we all know how great the B58 is so I’m sure it wouldn’t be much of an issue to work my way up in power to match my vw

I know swapping a ‘M car’ to a ‘M Lite’ may seem like I’m going backwards to some but the M240i just seems like an upgraded AWD version of my OG? As far as M branding prestige I could care less going to a ‘lesser’ model

The biggest downside I assume would be that it may be floatier & handle nothing like the M2 but we dont have tracks locally and I never find myself pushing the M2 hard on my backroads other than a quick WOT blast out of a corner.

I’ve been waiting 2 months now but no M240i’s have become available for a test drive at local dealerships so I’ve watched almost every video on YouTube. Just looking to hear some (if any) thoughts from the peanut gallery

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 01:43 PM   #2
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

the F87 and G42 were both on my list of cars I was considering but I couldn't find an M2 in the condition/spec/price I wanted and ultimately took delivery when the 240 arrived.

I imagine the g42 outperforms the f87 in every category so in terms of enjoyment I doubt you'll be disappointed. the longer wheel base will likely be noticeable.
My first car without three pedals and even then, I thoroughly enjoy driving it.
That being said, if I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the M2 and Golf, money / versatility wise. I don't know if there's a better daily than a golf and an M2 to go alongside just seems like a recipe for happiness.

I had a fbo n54 and the g42 feels quicker and more planted out the box.
Where in canada are you?
'22 m240i

Last edited by eli371; 09-03-2024 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
CanadianM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli371 View Post
I've only driven the F82 but the F87 and G42 were both on my list of cars I was considering but I couldn't find an M2 in the condition/spec/price I wanted and ultimately took delivery when the 240 arrived.

I imagine the g42 outperforms the f87 in every category so in terms of enjoyment I doubt you'll be disappointed. the longer wheel base will likely be noticeable.
My first car without three pedals and even then, I thoroughly enjoy driving it.
That being said, if I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the M2 and Golf, money / versatility wise. I don't know if there's a better daily than a golf and an M2 to go alongside just seems like a recipe for happiness.

Where in canada are you?

Hey thanks for your thoughts, I’ve ridden in a F82 M4 briefly, no experience with driving one although I’ve been lucky enough to own a few fast cars before the M2

( my wife says my m2 is slow ) I tell her straight line performance isn’t the point of the N55 M2 and it’s a ‘drivers car’ as I hide my internal tears and think of scaring her with a big turbo B58

I’m in Nova Scotia, 91 octane is the max province wide & our winters aren’t horrible but our driveway is up a decent slope and AWD is needed.

I certainly do enjoy both vehicles & really have no complaints about them, I’ve had the Golf for 7 years and the M2 for 2 now.

The golf certainly is practical and plenty quick while being under the radar and quiet even with my upgrades
It is getting older though and the idea of something new is nice + the fact I have 3 vehicles seems like a good choice to downsize a bit.
Appreciate 1
eli37151.00
      09-03-2024, 02:36 PM   #4
Mario68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

I had a F87 M2 Competition, but had to sell it for personal reasons.
And now I drive a Mini se LOL , super fun car to drive but of course not comparable at all.
My new BG M240i RWD will be delivered on Wednesday September 11th.
So I can't really compare yet, but I did take it for a test drive and it drives great.
I think it's perfect for me as a daily car.
This is the topic of my M2
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743180
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2024, 02:43 PM   #5
eli371
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianM2 View Post

I’m in Nova Scotia, 91 octane is the max province wide & our winters aren’t horrible but our driveway is up a decent slope and AWD is needed.

I certainly do enjoy both vehicles & really have no complaints about them, I’ve had the Golf for 7 years and the M2 for 2 now.

The golf certainly is practical and plenty quick while being under the radar and quiet even with my upgrades
It is getting older though and the idea of something new is nice + the fact I have 3 vehicles seems like a good choice to downsize a bit.
If it makes sense for you logistically, do it, you won't regret it, especially based on the mindset you have going into it.

btw with ID8, m pack cars came with red calipers, so if you're like me and want m pack & port blue with blue calipers you'll have to stick with ID7 models or paint / replace the calipers
'22 m240i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
CanadianM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for your thoughts, I’ve ridden in a F82 M4 briefly, no experience with driving one although I’ve been lucky enough to own a few fast cars before the M2

( my wife says my m2 is slow ) I tell her straight line performance isn’t the point of the N55 M2 and it’s a ‘drivers car’ as I hide my internal tears and think of scaring her with a big turbo B58

The golf certainly is practical, under the radar and quiet even with my upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli371 View Post
If it makes sense for you logistically, do it, you won't regret it, especially based on the mindset you have going into it.

btw with ID8, m pack cars came with red calipers, so if you're like me and want m pack & port blue with blue calipers you'll have to stick with ID7 models or paint / replace the calipers
Appreciate all your thoughts! I quite like the blue calipers with my Long beach blue colour so that’s good to know it wouldn’t be an option for me. It could be a way to save money getting an older model but the ID8 is a big selling point for me right now.
I grew up staring at screens and loving tech so the nostalgia of having traditional analog gauges isn’t as big of a deal to me.
Appreciate 1
eli37151.00
      09-03-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
CanadianM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario68 View Post
I had a F87 M2 Competition, but had to sell it for personal reasons.
And now I drive a Mini se LOL , super fun car to drive but of course not comparable at all.
My new BG M240i RWD will be delivered on Wednesday September 11th.
So I can't really compare yet, but I did take it for a test drive and it drives great.
I think it's perfect for me as a daily car.
This is the topic of my M2
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743180
Well it sounds like I’m on a similar track to some you then, enjoy your new car! Almost time!

It seems like these days the lines between ‘m lite’ and ‘m car’ seem to be blurred and you can’t really go wrong with either.
Appreciate 3
Mario6887.50
eli37151.00
      09-03-2024, 03:09 PM   #8
Mario68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Well it sounds like I’m on a similar track to some you then, enjoy your new car! Almost time!

It seems like these days the lines between ‘m lite’ and ‘m car’ seem to be blurred and you can’t really go wrong with either.

Joe Achilles has some good videos about it on YT
He has been test riding an M240ix for 3 months and has an M2 comp himself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDc...pu24wvkIBsArpQ
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #9
eli371
Private
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate all your thoughts! I quite like the blue calipers with my Long beach blue colour so that’s good to know it wouldn’t be an option for me. It could be a way to save money getting an older model but the ID8 is a big selling point for me right now.
I grew up staring at screens and loving tech so the nostalgia of having traditional analog gauges isn’t as big of a deal to me.
Fair enough! Yea i'm the same, everyone seems to prefer the analog look but I went with the digital cockpit option on
ID7, it's just in the traditional hooded dash vs the curved screen. The tach/speedo on ID8 are too much for me. The counter clock wise digital tach in ID7 was different enough lol
happy shopping, update us when you pull the trigger.
'22 m240i
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2024, 05:08 PM   #10
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I had a M2 competition for 4 years or so, owned my 2023 m240i x drive for 18 months.
Drove over 40k in the M2c and have done over 28k in my m240i
Loved the M2c but don't miss driving it on wet days, although winter tyres helped with traction.
The x drive on the m240i gives huge confidence going through bendy roads. I love being able to accelerate through the bends whereas the M2 had to wait until the front wheels were straight.
Interior is so much better, seats are so comfy.
To me the F87 looks dated now, glad I changed to the G42.
Appreciate 2
MPR1919.00
      09-03-2024, 06:36 PM   #11
advr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3; G42 M240i; K49 S1000XR

The M240 makes for a great fast daily but I don't find it very engaging mainly as a result of the lack of steering feel and high overall weight.

For driving enjoyment I much prefer my E46 M3 but that isn't enjoyable on my occasional 100 mile (one way) highway commute to the office where the M240 is relaxing and surprisingly good on gas.

So it all depends on what your primary use cases are but having a daily and a fun weekend / summer car can cover more use cases.
Appreciate 2
wb8164142.00
      09-04-2024, 09:42 AM   #12
TheStoka
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240i

Garage List
I came from an F82 Comp, below was my initial thoughts shortly after switching. 6 months on im still very happy with my decision.

To me it’s so much better of a daily car. The lower power isn’t really that noticeable unless you’re doing some pulls in Mexico.
Much more torque low down plus xDrive traction is brilliant without the drama the M4 often had getting the power to road. A far more softer ride that just seems to deal with humps and bumps far better. New iDrive and tech is awesome and a massive step from previous. Finally getting back into a ZF8 equipped car made me realise how much I disliked the DCT for anything other than spirited driving.
On the negative the S55 does feel more special, miss merino leather and its softness compared to Vernacsa (wont miss it scratching if you even look at it). The flatness and pointiness on the front end cannot be matched but the G42 is still very capable.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2024, 04:33 PM   #13
BimmerBenzorBentley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by advr6 View Post
The M240 makes for a great fast daily but I don't find it very engaging mainly as a result of the lack of steering feel and high overall weight.

For driving enjoyment I much prefer my E46 M3 but that isn't enjoyable on my occasional 100 mile (one way) highway commute to the office where the M240 is relaxing and surprisingly good on gas.

So it all depends on what your primary use cases are but having a daily and a fun weekend / summer car can cover more use cases.
Sure sounds like the 230i is a better value proposition than the M240i with its better looks, better gas mileage, less weight, and more tossability overall.

I've mentioned this in the past but I guess people take too much of a hit to their ego in spending 15k+ more for a 240 rather than the better 230i.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #14
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBenzorBentley View Post
Sure sounds like the 230i is a better value proposition than the M240i with its better looks, better gas mileage, less weight, and more tossability overall.

I've mentioned this in the past but I guess people take too much of a hit to their ego in spending 15k+ more for a 240 rather than the better 230i.
Who's taking a hit to their ego? Random imaginary people you've made up to support your statement, or (you) the guy who pops up every few months just to argue the finer points of owning a 230i over a 240i and calls himself a "street racer" who's not "hillbilly enough to go to an actual track"?

I know who I think it is.
Appreciate 6
Pentland2091.00
MPR1919.00
koopa212.50
sikotic607.50
Mike_H_287.00
      09-06-2024, 05:04 PM   #15
BimmerBenzorBentley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
Who's taking a hit to their ego? Random imaginary people you've made up to support your statement, or (you) the guy who pops up every few months just to argue the finer points of owning a 230i over a 240i and calls himself a "street racer" who's not "hillbilly enough to go to an actual track"?

I know who I think it is.
LOL you must've changed your handle, got rid of that boat M240i, and are finally on a path to righteousness with the M2, which I commend.

Don't recognize the name and the hillbilly track comment must have hit you deep cause I said that 6+ months ago lolllllllll. I stand by everything I said - going to a track you see 20 methheads in a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 07:25 PM   #16
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

Lol I remember this guy, you are relentless bud with the 230.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 08:04 PM   #17
CanadianM2
Private First Class
Rep

Very weird comments from one individual but thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 11:53 AM   #18
Ricochet48
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S (IL), 2024 X3 (FL)

The old M2 (specifically the 2018 LCI) and the Golf R were on my very short list of potential cars.

The Golf R is definitely more practical, but the egg shape just didn't really do it for me. Nor did the badge... telling everyone you own a supped up VW screams HS euro tuner kid to me. A BMW is on a different level in terms of prestige to most.

The older M2 looks very sharp on the outside, but the interior is very lacking compared to the new models. The engine gets better mpg than the new S versions, but is still worse than the B58. Additionally the ZF8 is superior to the DCT for my purposes. The suspension is rougher on the M2 as well.

The G42 seems like the perfect balance. It has modern tech/interior, the top tier B58TU, ZF8 combo, some practicality, available AWD, and some prestige. There's literally no modern competition to it if you want a AWD coupe. It's the same price as a 320hp FWD Integra Type S (which is wild to me as a RSX-S owner).

The only other option I had on my list was the M340i, but it's $7.5K more when evenly optioned, which is also wild to me for 2 more doors and a few inches. Plus the 2 series looks 10x more sporty.
Appreciate 4
MPR1919.00
jpf34010.50