home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-09-2024, 09:48 AM   #1
603BlueM2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

strange happenings after wash

2024 M2, 2100 miles. Washed and detailed it yesterday. Afterwards, the driver side door would intermittently not close all the way. Thought it was a seatbelt jam. but was not. Then, once I go the door closed and car started, the driver side window would not open. These issues have now seemed to have self corrected. I do not know how or why. Has anyone else had these issues? My wife is sure the car is possessed, but I am not sure that is the issue. Looking for a little insight. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #2
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Is your wife’s name Christine?
Appreciate 1
DrewNewM2732.50
      09-11-2024, 06:21 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603BlueM2 View Post
2024 M2, 2100 miles. Washed and detailed it yesterday. Afterwards, the driver side door would intermittently not close all the way. Thought it was a seatbelt jam. but was not. Then, once I go the door closed and car started, the driver side window would not open. These issues have now seemed to have self corrected. I do not know how or why. Has anyone else had these issues? My wife is sure the car is possessed, but I am not sure that is the issue. Looking for a little insight. Thank you.
With some of my other cars there were reports of problems with water in the doors. Rain or wash water. In the case of my other cars the door's wet side was sealed with a heavy plastic membrane to keep the water out of the dry side of the door.

The dry side was where the door lock controller, window regulator, and other vital electro-mechanical hardware resided.

One sign of water in the door and on the dry side was odd door lock and window behavior.

A more obvious sign of water in the door where it didn't belong was dampness along the bottom of the door or in the carpet trim along the bottom of the door.

As a precaution I'd check the door bottoms after a wash or after the car was exposed to rain.

After some years I felt dampness and had the car in and both door membranes had failed due to age and both were replaced.

Thankfully I caught this in time.

Now some cars do not have a membrane but have seals to keep water out of the doors. Think this is the case with MINIs, of which I owned 3. Does this mean BMW uses seals rather than membranes? Who knows?

But seals can fail too. Or being a new car may just be bad due to a manufacturing defect.

So you can check for dampness along the door bottoms and even on the cabin floor carpet along side the doors. In fact check for dampness of the carpet everywhere in the cabin.

(Years ago I worked on automotive test software. I was visiting a customer's site and found a car -- Prius -- that had a leaking windshield seal and was letting water into the cabin by way of dripping down on the OBD2 connector through which the software interacted with the car's controllers.)

However, while one of my cars experienced water in the doors the time the door locks acted up and the windows acted up -- not dropping when I pulled the door handle or worse dropping normally but once the door opened then going back up -- the problem was not due to water intrusion but a failed door lock controller.

A failed door lock (or other) controller is I believe more likely the cause of the behavior you observed. You can check for dampness but absent any a controller is suspect #1. 'course this will require a visit to the service for troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0