home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #1
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

Dinan air intake

Does anybody know what the deal with adding an air intake is with your warranty? Will it void it? I called my dealerships today and they were kind of wishy-washy. Wouldn’t really answer me. My understanding is it’s there burden to prove that the intake caused any damage but I just wanna make sure I’ve only had the car not even a year so I don’t feel like voiding my warranty over an air intake
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg80 View Post
Does anybody know what the deal with adding an air intake is with your warranty? Will it void it? I called my dealerships today and they were kind of wishy-washy. Wouldn’t really answer me. My understanding is it’s there burden to prove that the intake caused any damage but I just wanna make sure I’ve only had the car not even a year so I don’t feel like voiding my warranty over an air intake
From what I’ve read, they would need evidence that the intake caused the damage to decline warranty coverage. With the intake being just a pipe with an air filter, theres really no risk.

The intake sounds awesome, I highly recommended it. I went with MST with turbo inlet.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 05:04 PM   #3
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
From what I’ve read, they would need evidence that the intake caused the damage to decline warranty coverage. With the intake being just a pipe with an air filter, theres really no risk.

The intake sounds awesome, I highly recommended it. I went with MST with turbo inlet.
That’s what I figured but just wanted to make sure I added the M performance Exhaust and was hoping this would add a bit more sound as well
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #4
MPR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That’s what I figured but just wanted to make sure I added the M performance Exhaust and was hoping this would add a bit more sound as well
The intake opens up the turbo noise significantly, I couldnt believe it at first.
Appreciate 1
koopa211.00
      09-04-2024, 05:08 PM   #5
euro3er
Rep
Drives: 2025 G42 M240i xDrive

What's everyone thoughts on the different brands of aftermarket intakes? Are they all for the most part similar in nature or are some better than others. For example, Dinan versus Eventuri.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 05:33 PM   #6
kudos
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro3er View Post
What's everyone thoughts on the different brands of aftermarket intakes? Are they all for the most part similar in nature or are some better than others. For example, Dinan versus Eventuri.
Well not one of them adds any HP so it really just comes down to whichever one has a sound you like. I've heard MST is very aggressive sounding.
      09-04-2024, 05:48 PM   #7
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

For warranty with minor mods, it really comes down to the tech and/or foreman. I've been told that straightforward by the dealer I bought from (in slightly different words). When they submit a claim, it's really under their own wording to BMW and whether they want to risk any pushback from BMW when making a warranty claim. If your tech/foreman is against mods, they're going to make it difficult, although the point of burden of proof is true. You can't point at a failed exhaust flap when installing an intake. If your air temp sensor in the intake tract goes bad, they're definitely going to point at the intake as a possible cause first. I've often heard some good dealers tell the customer to put the car back to stock and bring it back and often there is little pushback after. Blown engine, they will look at the intake, but may or may not choose to mention it when filing with BMW.

For me personally, I installed an intake but I plan to put it back to stock when it goes in for routine service, simply because I don't want to deal with any possible pushback if I have a warranty claim in the future. I brought the car in for a rattle concern and left the intake on since I expected they don't need to be going in the engine bay, I rolled the dice.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
For warranty with minor mods, it really comes down to the tech and/or foreman. I've been told that straightforward by the dealer I bought from (in slightly different words). When they submit a claim, it's really under their own wording to BMW and whether they want to risk any pushback from BMW when making a warranty claim. If your tech/foreman is against mods, they're going to make it difficult, although the point of burden of proof is true. You can't point at a failed exhaust flap when installing an intake. If your air temp sensor in the intake tract goes bad, they're definitely going to point at the intake as a possible cause first. I've often heard some good dealers tell the customer to put the car back to stock and bring it back and often there is little pushback after. Blown engine, they will look at the intake, but may or may not choose to mention it when filing with BMW.

For me personally, I installed an intake but I plan to put it back to stock when it goes in for routine service, simply because I don't want to deal with any possible pushback if I have a warranty claim in the future. I brought the car in for a rattle concern and left the intake on since I expected they don't need to be going in the engine bay, I rolled the dice.
I’m not tuning it or anything it’s purely for the sound so hopefully they leave me alone putting it on and off constantly seems like a pain so probably won’t do that but I understand why you would, a air intake causing any serious problems in its own seems unlikely to me
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 07:38 PM   #9
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro3er View Post
I only have experience with the Dinan (I bought the PEX version) and I wouldn't buy it again. For all of the praise I've seen their intakes get, it just doesn't feel very high quality to me at all. They don't include instructions in the box, the mounting hardware seemed low quality, I had alignment issues with the intake outlet, and the little plastic pop rivets for the lid are just begging to get lost whenever you remove it (which is why they give you extras). I also didn't like getting a huge box full of packing peanuts in this day and age, I can't remember the last time a company sent me a product like that.

It does sound great, but I imagine the competitors also sound great. The Eventuri one does look great but I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. If I did it again, I would have bought the BMS competition cold air intake or the MST.
Appreciate 3
MPR1919.00
JoeyJoeJo213.00
      09-05-2024, 12:21 PM   #10
pg80
Private First Class
Rep

Went to one of my local dealerships today they used to partner with Dinan But has since broken the partnership with them saying that their product was causing trouble with the cars and that dinan would not back the product. Has anyone had any trouble with their products? I’m leaning towards just returning it now seems like more trouble than it’s worth well, I have a warranty at least.
Appreciate 1
NewToM1429.00
      09-06-2024, 01:58 PM   #11
Antique-ace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
I only have experience with the Dinan (I bought the PEX version) and I wouldn't buy it again. For all of the praise I've seen their intakes get, it just doesn't feel very high quality to me at all. They don't include instructions in the box, the mounting hardware seemed low quality, I had alignment issues with the intake outlet, and the little plastic pop rivets for the lid are just begging to get lost whenever you remove it (which is why they give you extras). I also didn't like getting a huge box full of packing peanuts in this day and age, I can't remember the last time a company sent me a product like that.

It does sound great, but I imagine the competitors also sound great. The Eventuri one does look great but I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. If I did it again, I would have bought the BMS competition cold air intake or the MST.
I've had the carbon fiber Dinan intake for almost a year now. I bought it shortly before they came out with the less costly PEX version or I would have probably bought that one. I found the fit and construction quality of the CF intake to be acceptable overall. I agree with the comment about the little plastic pop rivets for the lid. I lost one already during the initial installation and I'm glad Dinan provides some spares. I think Dinan should have used a better method to keep the lid closed than with these tiny little plastic pop rivets.

I'm very satisfied with the sound of the intake. IMO anything louder would start to get intrusive and annoying.

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3 Coupe.
Appreciate 1
koopa211.00
      09-10-2024, 11:12 AM   #12
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Went to one of my local dealerships today they used to partner with Dinan But has since broken the partnership with them saying that their product was causing trouble with the cars and that dinan would not back the product. Has anyone had any trouble with their products? I’m leaning towards just returning it now seems like more trouble than it’s worth well, I have a warranty at least.
Editing this post as I mixed brands/mods up lol. I have the Burger Motorsports intake so I’m offering my 2 cents on a lower priced alternative:

I have the BMS intake. I am loving it. Didn’t have any issues with the build quality, I loved that it retained the stock heat shield which none of the others seemed to do. Install was super easy and the sounds are amazing. Crazy turbo sounds when you really stab at the throttle. I highly recommend it, no issues after 1.5 years.

I noticed a very slight improvement in throttle response on the low end, mainly slightly less turbo lag when flooring it at low speeds. Nothing crazy, obviously, but an ever so slight improvement
Appreciate 3
pg80113.50
PP3121373.00
koopa211.00
      09-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #13
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

This may become my first mod ever. After watching the video on the BMS website, seems super easy for even not technical people such as myself. Thanks for the share and info.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201867.00
      09-11-2024, 11:55 AM   #14
MPR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
This may become my first mod ever. After watching the video on the BMS website, seems super easy for even not technical people such as myself. Thanks for the share and info.
Yeah, the intakes that do not include a turbo inlet can literally be installed in 5-10 minutes. Super easy. And the sound you get is well worth the cost.
Appreciate 2
apez763.50
PP3121373.00
      09-12-2024, 07:52 AM   #15
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Yeah, the intakes that do not include a turbo inlet can literally be installed in 5-10 minutes. Super easy. And the sound you get is well worth the cost.
Curious if there is any noticeable impact on fuel efficiency. I imagine it would reduce it a bit?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #16
MPR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Curious if there is any noticeable impact on fuel efficiency. I imagine it would reduce it a bit?
You lose a bit because you will want to hear turbo noise through spending more time in Sport+ and revving it out. Under normal driving I had no change, still get over 30 on highway.
Appreciate 0