BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-13-2024, 03:15 PM   #23
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra, Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
$82k must be every option - assume you are doing carbon buckets? I'm at $70k with carbon roof

Anyway, imo the S58 is the clear choice (especially modded) over the B58. You can wait for the xdrive version if awd is important - it's not for me (at least right now, that could change, I generally prefer rwd cars)

I came from a 2023 RS3, the TTRS is fun (maybe a little too "cute") but never impressed me that much on a roadcourse - before that I owned an FD RX-7 for 18 years
I need to pick your brain on the FD, and see if I'm capable of enduring that much pain/pleasure
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 03:16 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
A Trackhawk will more likely get you to your 1000hp goals. I feel like a better goal is what you want the car to do. You describe back road driving, but I would argue a lot less power is more for that type of road.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 03:33 PM   #25
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageoverflow View Post
I need to pick your brain on the FD, and see if I'm capable of enduring that much pain/pleasure
It’s the best mistake you’ll ever make.
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420832.00
      09-13-2024, 03:39 PM   #26
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
A Trackhawk will more likely get you to your 1000hp goals. I feel like a better goal is what you want the car to do. You describe back road driving, but I would argue a lot less power is more for that type of road.
Once again, the Miata is the answer. It's so often the answer. What should we do tonight? Drive the Miata. What would you like to do this weekend? Drive the Miata. I got some new lingerie today, do you like it? Drive the Miata.

Name one situation where it isn't the answer.
Appreciate 5
ZPD596.00
ourlee1357.00
LAGWAGN537.50
DrewNewM2732.50
c1pher4891.00
      09-13-2024, 03:43 PM   #27
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

I might be accused of being in the wrong forum. I get it. So flame on. But how many of you have driven a P-car? My OL Buddy told me once: ‘Don’t drive test the P-Car’. I said: ‘Why?’ He said: ‘Because you won’t want anything else.’ So I went to the dealership and drove some P-Car’s. Yeah. He was right. You gotta pay to play. But I still love all my cars. So get what you love. But prolly don’t drive the P-Cars unless you saved your pennies….🤑
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 03:48 PM   #28
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
I might be accused of being in the wrong forum. I get it. So flame on. But how many of you have driven a P-car? My OL Buddy told me once: ‘Don’t drive test the P-Car’. I said: ‘Why?’ He said: ‘Because you won’t want anything else.’ So I went to the dealership and drove some P-Car’s. Yeah. He was right. You gotta pay to play. But I still love all my cars. So get what you love. But prolly don’t drive the P-Cars unless you saved your pennies….🤑
I have quite a bit, and didn't come away with the same feeling. Thus why there isn't one in my garage. I do think they're cool, drive great, etc. Just not worth it to me for what they charge, especially the nickel & diming for every single option. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2024, 04:00 PM   #29
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yeah. They do like to charge for options that should be standard. To each thier own. But when I drive my P-Cars, it’s an event. When I drive my BMW’s it’s kinda cool. We can agree to disagree. There’s something lost in the new BMW’s. I get it. When I drove the E36 it was nice. Then the 1M, fast but numb steering. Even P-Cars have lost a bit of soul. I love my 2004 VW R32 and my 2011 Boxster Spyder. In fact, I’ve put a bunch of mods into my 987.1 Cayman S and the ‘24 GTS 4.0 seems a bit ‘digital’. I would say this: drive a Boxster Spyder. Or a Cayman R. Then see what you think. I would say if one can get a analog car (name the one) that connects driver to car…that’s the one to get. I mean if you like to be one with the car. New cars…I feel numb. But it’s cool. They are fast. Like when I was young. Wearing two rubberz..plowing a college floosie. 😆
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:02 PM   #30
fzr100098
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

Quote:
Not many rotary builders I trust anymore, IR Performance in NJ is #1 imo but they have alot of backlog (because they are good)

It's all in the build and tuning as it always is, but especially with a rotary....the main problem with the FD is it has so many cheap Mazduh parts on it and you end up replacing pretty much everything. The MkIV Supra would have been a much better investment back in '97 but I had alot of fun in the FD and it still has beautiful lines
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2024, 04:05 PM   #31
fzr100098
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

Quote:
Yeah. They do like to charge for options that should be standard. To each thier own. But when I drive my P-Cars, it’s an event. When I drive my BMW’s it’s kinda cool. We can agree to disagree. There’s something lost in the new BMW’s. I get it. When I drove the E36 it was nice. Then the 1M, fast but numb steering. Even P-Cars have lost a bit of soul. I love my 2004 VW R32 and my 2011 Boxster Spyder. In fact, I’ve put a bunch of mods into my 987.1 Cayman S and the ‘24 GTS 4.0 seems a bit ‘digital’. I would say this: drive a Boxster Spyder. Or a Cayman R. Then see what you think. I would say if one can get a analog car (name the one) that connects driver to car…that’s the one to get. I mean if you like to be one with the car. New cars…I feel numb. But it’s cool. They are fast. Like when I was young. Wearing two rubberz..plowing a college floosie. 😆
Or buy an Evora - P cars are great but way overpriced for what I really want (GT3)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #32
ednir98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, F30 328i, F15 X5, F82 M4

Quote:
Wearing two rubberz..plowing a college floosie. 😆
i'm going to wash my eyes with hot bleach
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420832.00
      09-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #33
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I can predict the OP's next 3 threads. First will be help how do you slip the clutch on an auto to do burnouts. Second thread will be how he lost a street race to a tuned Chrysler Sebring vert this car stock is so slow. The third (and final) will be help my big turbo engine threw a rod but BMW won't cover it what do I do. The circle will be complete until the next guy comes along. Bonus thread will be someone posting the car listed on copart covered in dust and warrior decals in a parking lot somewhere with 'is this a good deal, anyone know this car'.
Appreciate 2
DrJLag420832.00
mrdudley440.50
      09-13-2024, 04:11 PM   #34
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Not disagreeing they aren't great cars. I'm fortunate enough to have a supercharged Carbon Edition Z06 with Z07 ultimate performance track pkg for that analog/connected experience (that will outperform most P-cars) .
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:13 PM   #35
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Only one rubber then?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:23 PM   #36
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not many rotary builders I trust anymore, IR Performance in NJ is #1 imo but they have alot of backlog (because they are good)

It's all in the build and tuning as it always is, but especially with a rotary....the main problem with the FD is it has so many cheap Mazduh parts on it and you end up replacing pretty much everything. The MkIV Supra would have been a much better investment back in '97 but I had alot of fun in the FD and it still has beautiful lines
I imported a MKIV last year, and that car isn't going anywhere. Can TWO old "overrated" 90s cars really be the right move though?

I do think the FD is the most beautiful of the 90s JDM cars though. NSX right behind it. Surely one day I'll pull the trigger and have to pre-mix at every gas tank fillup.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:28 PM   #37
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Quote:
I imported a MKIV last year, and that car isn't going anywhere. Can TWO old "overrated" 90s cars really be the right move though?

I do think the FD is the most beautiful of the 90s JDM cars though. NSX right behind it. Surely one day I'll pull the trigger and have to pre-mix at every gas tank fillup.
Isn’t it true the JDM Supra is limited on turbo size if you were to do single because the steering column gets in the way?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:37 PM   #38
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMX5 View Post
Isn’t it true the JDM Supra is limited on turbo size if you were to do single because the steering column gets in the way?
It is a little more limited, but I think most people have worked around it at this point.
I'd love a hybrid twin setup that fits in the stock location too. Would make great power and look stock still. Only time will tell.

The car is a bone stock TT V160 car right now (intake filter for the noise), and I'm definitely going to take my time.

https://www.grannasracing.com/blogs/news/rhd-mkiv-supra-turbo-kit-fitment?srsltid=AfmBOoqj_7XWvVoZUWNNIzk0tyKnZIBeyR GPZW7OiHqS3VoLjKV5G87l

Grannas showing that most turbos will fit. I think we've gained a lot from advances in turbo technology over the years too
Appreciate 1
BradMX5318.00
      09-13-2024, 07:01 PM   #39
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

I’ve driven lots of P-cars. Have buddies with older and new ones, and some waiting on deliveries.
If I could afford a Turbo S, I would own one. It has ruined me. I’ve driven multiples of the Turbo S over the years - enough times to push the limits and scare the hell out of myself and others.
Everything - even the GT3 RSs are 2nd class cars to the Turbo S. I suppose I could make do with an older GT2RS.
      09-13-2024, 07:17 PM   #40
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
THanks for all the comments. I posted here and on Facebook and have gotten some good insight from lots of people with some who have owned both. But at the end of the day those who have said get what I like or want. Always, just wanted to hear what people had to say about both.

In any case I have decided to go with the M2 in manual as it's been a while since I had one and the Cayman weekend 911 daily combo is a long time away.
Quote:
The GT3 T or S/T is next. But need to save some more pennies… I’m good for now��

M240 vs M2. Can’t go wrong. I only bought the M2 for the 6-spd manny but whatever.

Sell the M240&M2 for the M2 CS. That’s cool. AWD+Slush Box. I can dig it. Remember, u gotta love what u drive.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
It was a question. What's the point of 1,000 hp for your intended use? Can you drive the car 10/10 of its capability stock at 500 hp? If so, find a better car that is designed for higher hp output. People constantly come on car forums saying I need 600 hp, 800 hp... when they most likely can't handle 350 hp. The fact is you're not using any more of the car on back roads at 1k hp than you are at 500 hp. That's all.

If it's just I want 1,000 hp to brag I have 1,000 hp. So be it.
It's a bit of both, use it for the back roads etc and then turn it into a monster but after thinking it will just have a stage 1/2 tune with ethanol
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
B58s are stout motors and theres definitely a few over 1,000 hp already. sounds like thats what you want. RS3 would be a good choice too if your main concern is tuning it to silly quick 1/4 mile times.

you're in TN- you'll have lots of fun hills and backroads like i do near me. i have zero desire to add more power to this car for fucking around at 6-7/10ths. do i sometimes with i had a little more for HPDEs? yeah, but thats like <2% of the miles i put on the car. just be honest with yourself about how you will use it and what will bring you the most enjoyment to your daily routine.
Makes sense, I def would add more power but close to 1k wouldnt make sense on the M2
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
best advice here so far. its YOUR car and YOU need to love it- or it'll be out the door and you'll be spending even MORE money. people rarely seem to have a good grasp on a) what they like in a car and b) what they need in a car, especially enthusiasts. we like to overthink things
Agreed
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if peeps start these types of threads to troll pro. But it’s just sometimes. They prolly rookies. Buy the car you want. Then drive the piss out of it before you mod to 1000 hp. The M2 is a beast. 453 hp my arse. It’s a great M car. If you have one you know and you should be happy you have one. Cheers!
Just getting opinions from people who own them
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
back roads and trackhawk lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
Once again, the Miata is the answer. It's so often the answer. What should we do tonight? Drive the Miata. What would you like to do this weekend? Drive the Miata. I got some new lingerie today, do you like it? Drive the Miata.

I dont think id ever own one of those
Quote:
I might be accused of being in the wrong forum. I get it. So flame on. But how many of you have driven a P-car? My OL Buddy told me once: ‘Don’t drive test the P-Car’. I said: ‘Why?’ He said: ‘Because you won’t want anything else.’ So I went to the dealership and drove some P-Car’s. Yeah. He was right. You gotta pay to play. But I still love all my cars. So get what you love. But prolly don’t drive the P-Cars unless you saved your pennies….��
Def plan on getting one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I can predict the OP's next 3 threads. First will be help how do you slip the clutch on an auto to do burnouts. Second thread will be how he lost a street race to a tuned Chrysler Sebring vert this car stock is so slow. The third (and final) will be help my big turbo engine threw a rod but BMW won't cover it what do I do. The circle will be complete until the next guy comes along. Bonus thread will be someone posting the car listed on copart covered in dust and warrior decals in a parking lot somewhere with 'is this a good deal, anyone know this car'.
I thank everyone else but you, you can eat a bag of dicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
I’ve driven lots of P-cars. Have buddies with older and new ones, and some waiting on deliveries.
If I could afford a Turbo S, I would own one. It has ruined me. I’ve driven multiples of the Turbo S over the years - enough times to push the limits and scare the hell out of myself and others.
Everything - even the GT3 RSs are 2nd class cars to the Turbo S. I suppose I could make do with an older GT2RS.
I want a 991.2 Turbo S for the daily eventually. It's a great combo of tech, power and comfort.
Appreciate 3
Montaver2538.50
minn1914511.00
DrJLag420832.00
      09-13-2024, 07:40 PM   #41
ourlee
Major
Rep
Drives: WTB your comfort seats

Quote:

F ing A bro dd for 7 yrs
      09-13-2024, 09:15 PM   #42
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
"I got some new lingerie today, do you like it?"

I'd rather drive that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 09:28 PM   #43
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

If 800-1000hp is something you realistically see yourself going for, you will regret starting with a RWD car sooner or later. Flow chart:

do you want 700+ whp? "yes".

do you want to be tethered to drag strips or specific "spots" where the road surface has been prepared by street outlaws? "no".

do you want to only experience a small fraction of the sensation of acceleration your vehicle is capable of since you wont get any traction until 4th gear? "no".

are you interested in running small brakes and 15" wheels with drag tires at 18psi on the back of your car, replacing them every few thousand miles as the compound inevitably hardens from heat cycles and they stop hooking up before your next oil change, and also so that your car handles like a magic carpet ride and makes you wonder why you didn't just buy a mustang to begin with? "no".

Then you need AWD.

Even if the S58 is the superior engine to the B58, if you are building a car that is expected to put big power to the pavement anywhere and everywhere, the X-Drive takes priority over the S58, and by a landslide.
Appreciate 3
DrewNewM2732.50
DrJLag420832.00
SDKevin86.50
      09-14-2024, 01:58 PM   #44
techwhiz1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
$82k must be every option - assume you are doing carbon buckets? I'm at $70k with carbon roof

Anyway, imo the S58 is the clear choice (especially modded) over the B58. You can wait for the xdrive version if awd is important - it's not for me (at least right now, that could change, I generally prefer rwd cars)

I came from a 2023 RS3, the TTRS is fun (maybe a little too "cute") but never impressed me that much on a roadcourse - before that I owned an FD RX-7 for 18 years
My build is close when you add desitnation, but mine is MT. If you go with the auto, you can add adaptive cruise and remote start.

This assumes individual paint. You can save when you go with standard paints.

But, once.younarw a ove $75k another few grand doesn't matter in the grand scheme.