home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #1
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Calling all M2 owner city dwellers

Hi Everyone - while this more specifically applies to those driving MT M2's, I just wanted to get some input as to who lives with one of these in a large city center.

I'm in Chicago and commute 2-3 days to the burbs and am looking to get back into a manual M2 (currently have '24 rs3). I've discussed in other threads how great the RS3 is, but I miss DD a manual.

Obviously a city/high traffic area is not the ideal place for an M2 (or a MT for that matter), but I'm just wondering if anyone else puts up with the annoyances of daily driving an M2 (as well as other challenges) in NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc and still enjoy the car.

I hit roughly 15-20 mins of stop/go on the way to work and roughly 20-30 mins of stop/go on the way back. Rest is mostly highway miles. I do take spirited drives on the weekend.

Am I crazy for moving back to a MT M2 in this scenario? Previously lived in the burbs and did not experience the amount of traffic I do now.
Appreciate 1
ando2257.50
      Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #2
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

This is the opinion of someone who grew up in the Chicago area, who visits at least once a month, and who lives in the Dallas & Austin, TX areas (as bad or worse than Chi traffic). I would not DD a manual, no way. I have a manual Z06, and it is weekend & country road use only. My M2 is an auto because it is my DD.

In my 20s I had DD manual sports cars. Then in my 30s, it started getting really old. I'm now mid-40s, and am fortunate to have the scenario above.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, G80 & G87

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.50]
2024 M2  [9.50]
2022 BMW M3  [7.83]
I live in the city of Chicago and have a manual M3 and an auto M2 but I use CTA for daily commutes and Uber otherwise. No matter what I’m driving, if I need to leave the city I’m pretty careful of timing to avoid rush hour traffic. Can you take the Metra?
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #4
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I daily a manual G87 in San Francisco, so lots of traffic and lots of hills. No regrets. I’m still glad I got the manual. I love when I do have the opportunity for spirited drives, and I find the driving more engaging.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #5
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep

No options for public transit for me unfortunately. I only go in 2-3 days a week and I have relatively flexible hours so there I am able to dodge some traffic. I also have indoor parking which is a huge plus. I almost never drive in the city though and take public transit 99/100 times. I purely use the car for commuting/driving to burbs or up to Wisconsin for a drive. Would definitely DD an auto and have a second manual car for fun but that's not in the cards.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:56 AM   #6
RobM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I DD a manual M2 in a city (Boston) and honestly it is fine. The manual makes me pay attention.

The only thing that stands out to me for city driving is how wide the rear fenders are.

Of course, this is entirely personal, and you need to make the call for yourself.

Last edited by RobM2; Today at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:21 AM   #7
ednir98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, F30 328i, F15 X5, F82 M4

This topic is a matter of personal preference. Only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself, there isn’t a wrong answer. There’s nothing about a manual G87 that would make it less/more favorable than other modern manuals. I know this is kind of a non-answer but I feel there is no answer. Go with your gut, I’m sure the car will blow your socks off either way.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:21 AM   #8
MineralGreyMetallic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

This is a very personal thing that you should probably not seek the advice of others on.

I've lived in a few big cities in my life, and I've never owned an automatic.

I've been driving manuals in LA traffic for almost 10 years. There have been a few occurrences of multi hour stop-and-go where my legs cramped up a little, but that's not enough to ruin the experience or make me desire an automatic.

Not sure what other annoyances you are referring to that would be unique to the M2.
Appreciate 1
ednir98471.50
      Today, 08:26 AM   #9
ednir98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, F30 328i, F15 X5, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
This is a very personal thing that you should probably not seek the advice of others on.
Are you my FBI agent? We posted more or less the same thing at the same exact time…
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:31 AM   #10
MineralGreyMetallic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednir98 View Post
Are you my FBI agent? We posted more or less the same thing at the same exact time…
Sometimes common sense is in fact common.
Appreciate 1
ednir98471.50
      Today, 09:42 AM   #11
WBRacing
Private
Rep
Drives: 370Z NISMO, G87 M2

I will say the clutch on the M2 is not a heavy clutch. Your left leg will be much happier in that than some of the older manuals cars I have been in.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:45 AM   #12
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Understand it's a personal choice but I appreciate the feedback. Worst case scenario is I switch back to an auto and am out a few thousand.

I think an M2 is as good as it gets with regards to driving in traffic with a MT. Light clutch, plenty of torque to get off the line with no gas, rev match, auto hill hold, easy restart if you stall (don't think I ever stalled the f87), anti-stall, etc.

While I'm sure there will be some annoyances it's far different than driving my old '09 corolla that didn't have these features and had an on/off switch clutch.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:58 AM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I have always picked a manual over automatic for driving in congested traffic, if I have the choice, whether in Europe or North America. My personal preference for the most involvement with driving, no matter the circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:24 AM   #14
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2SG Throwaway View Post
Understand it's a personal choice but I appreciate the feedback. Worst case scenario is I switch back to an auto and am out a few thousand.

I think an M2 is as good as it gets with regards to driving in traffic with a MT. Light clutch, plenty of torque to get off the line with no gas, rev match, auto hill hold, easy restart if you stall (don't think I ever stalled the f87), anti-stall, etc.

While I'm sure there will be some annoyances it's far different than driving my old '09 corolla that didn't have these features and had an on/off switch clutch.
No way. Much better MT cars out there for DDs. WRX / STI for starters.

Not a fan of the MT+S58!
      Today, 10:26 AM   #15
fzr100098
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

The M2 ZF 8 speed is a great trans and supports 600+ hp

Rowing is fun on a mountain road or track - otherwise it's overrated and most modern synchro based transmissions aren't very strong anyway. I prefer a manual with short throws I can hammer (dog box)
Appreciate 0