home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #1
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

2025 G87 M2 Comparison to 2023 G80 M3

Traded my 2023 G80 MT for a 2025 G87 MT w/ MPHAS.

Drove the M3 2hrs to the dealership in and immediately 2hrs back in the M2 so I figured I’d share some initial thoughts:

Exterior:
Both were initially polarizing from pics online but I have to say I think I will be falling in love with the G87 quicker. The hips are massive and it just looks so muscular and aggressive with boxy e46 vibes (obviously a big fan of those hence my user name). The new silver wheels are drop dead gorgeous. That was first thing everyone at the dealership was talking about. The silver outlined badges are a really nice touch and match the wheels. I’m planning to do 12mm spacers, slightly more front drop with the MPHAS and zunsport front protection. Possibly painted side reflectors and lower center lip from IND.

Interior:
The new flat bottom steering wheel is insanely nice. So sporty and feels perfect. Makes getting in and out easier since I’m tall. The seats are just as comfortable as the M3. Prefer the M2 leather slightly as it seems to have more grain/texture. Also, not sure how this is but I can actually see the entire center console screen now. In my M3 I could never get the seating right to see the top right of the screen / high end rev range. So glad the M2 seating is slightly better so I can see all that easily. My one regret is not getting CF interior trim. The brushed aluminum looks ok, but it’s not as metallic as I thought it would be, which I thought would correspond with the wheel color.

Driving:
I swear the gearbox seems a bit tighter and with shorter throws… it feels better than in my 2023 M3 (only 3k miles). Feels almost Porsche like dare I say! Also it seems to have a clutch feel similar to my M3 with CDV removed… maybe they removed the CDV for 2025?? I don’t feel a need to change anything there. At least not yet. Suspension feels amazing. The MPHAS is not harsh, just a tad firmer in a great way! The car is absolutely more nimble and agile than my M3. Maybe some would call it a bit bouncy or twitchy, but I don’t find it too much of that at all, it’s just much more direct and planted it seems. I get more road feel and immediate and flatter reactions. Absolutely love it. Haven’t pushed the acceleration hard given break in period but it seems about the same as my M3… maybe just a tad less low end torque.. maybe. I don’t recall how the torque specs compare, I think HP is exact same. Visibility is amazing and better than the M3. I’m tall so I like the long coupe doors and side visibility. Overall feel more one with the car given its size. Like I’m in a fighter jet.

That’s it for now!
Attached Images

Last edited by fanofbmwe46; Yesterday at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 9
jas1651565.50
DSTR1411.50
ourlee1364.50
Tag19710.00
vivcal39.00
      Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #2
RobM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Beautiful car. Congrats!

Deciding which of M2 or M3 is better is a nice problem to have.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #3
jas165
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80

You can retrofit the CF interior trim.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Congrats on the purchase! I, too, prefer the vernasca leather in the M2 over the merino leather (wife has an X3MC). I spend a lot of seat time in both & the M2 is a tad softer & more comfortable.

Would definitely recommend picking up the cf interior trim. www.bmwpartswarehouse.com is the cheapest oem parts seller I've found & they have great service.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #5
ourlee
Major
Rep
Drives: WTB your comfort seats

Thx fan. Happy for you
      Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #6
fzr100098
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

Congrats - another fan of the silver wheels, my 2025 in portimao blue will be here soon

Price on HAS? Where was it installed?

Last edited by fzr100098; Yesterday at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #7
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: I drive one

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
The one interior thing I dont like is the shifter lol. It's so plain and looks like fake leather and not many replacement solutions without hacking away at it
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #8
Mega8489
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2023 G80 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
Congrats - another fan of the silver wheels, my 2025 in portimao blue will be here soon

Please make sure to post pics cause i already put my order now and want to see it since can’t find any pics online with the metallic portimao instead of the frozen one .
I still have time to change my order since my dealer doesn’t have the allocation yet .
Thank you .
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:54 AM   #9
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

share more pictures of the brushed aluminium trim please.
      Today, 03:16 AM   #10
WBS enthusiast
Registered
Rep
Drives: E30 S50 swap

Congrats, stuck between the M2 and M3 currently
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:57 AM   #11
LateBrake8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | C7 RS7 | @LateBrake8

You had me at silver wheels are drop dead gorgeous, and they definitely look that way in the pic. Glad I spec'd those. I too come from/own an e46 and am thankful that BMW still offers something with a shorter wheelbase than the G80/G82. That extra ~1 foot of length is a big turnoff for me. Never jumped on the F87 because BMW interiors hadn't changed much in many years, and sitting inside a $50k+ M2 Comp with almost the same interior as my $18k 435i wasn't very convincing from a value perspective, personally.

Love the spec, congrats!

Last edited by LateBrake8; Today at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:58 AM   #12
LateBrake8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | C7 RS7 | @LateBrake8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS enthusiast View Post
Congrats, stuck between the M2 and M3 currently
"E30 S50 swap"

Definitely M2 lol.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:28 AM   #13
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG G87 M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Traded my 2023 G80 MT for a 2025 G87 MT w/ MPHAS.

Drove the M3 2hrs to the dealership in and immediately 2hrs back in the M2 so I figured I’d share some initial thoughts:

Exterior:
Both were initially polarizing from pics online but I have to say I think I will be falling in love with the G87 quicker. The hips are massive and it just looks so muscular and aggressive with boxy e46 vibes (obviously a big fan of those hence my user name). The new silver wheels are drop dead gorgeous. That was first thing everyone at the dealership was talking about. The silver outlined badges are a really nice touch and match the wheels. I’m planning to do 12mm spacers, slightly more front drop with the MPHAS and zunsport front protection. Possibly painted side reflectors and lower center lip from IND.

Interior:
The new flat bottom steering wheel is insanely nice. So sporty and feels perfect. Makes getting in and out easier since I’m tall. The seats are just as comfortable as the M3. Prefer the M2 leather slightly as it seems to have more grain/texture. Also, not sure how this is but I can actually see the entire center console screen now. In my M3 I could never get the seating right to see the top right of the screen / high end rev range. So glad the M2 seating is slightly better so I can see all that easily. My one regret is not getting CF interior trim. The brushed aluminum looks ok, but it’s not as metallic as I thought it would be, which I thought would correspond with the wheel color.

Driving:
I swear the gearbox seems a bit tighter and with shorter throws… it feels [...]
Beautiful car mate, and the colour combination between the paint and wheels is spot on!
Is that skyscraper grey?
Appreciate 1
      Today, 05:43 AM   #14
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
Beautiful car mate, and the colour combination between the paint and wheels is spot on!
Is that skyscraper grey?
Thanks. Yes skyscraper has been around but it’s new for the M2 this year.
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx192.00
      Today, 05:44 AM   #15
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post

$3,155 installed in one day by bmw at the vpc port in Baltimore when it was offloaded from the ship
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:45 AM   #16
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
The one interior thing I dont like is the shifter lol. It's so plain and looks like fake leather and not many replacement solutions without hacking away at it
I dunno I love the shifter! Feels good and it seems like tight short throws.
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx192.00
      Today, 05:48 AM   #17
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire81 View Post
share more pictures of the brushed aluminium trim please.
It’s ok.. it has a very light brushed look but it’s a little darker and more plastic feeling/appearing than I thought it would be. It more so matches the paint color than the wheel color like I was hoping for. It’s not horrible but just not what you’d expect quality wise.. would expect a bit more of a premium material even as no cost option/standard. I can post more detailed pics standard and if I swap it for CF, I’ll do a post about that.
Attached Images

Last edited by fanofbmwe46; Today at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx192.00
      Today, 05:49 AM   #18
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Yes skyscraper has been around but it’s new for the M2 this year.
Looks amazing!!!
I was torn between skyscraper and brooklyns when ordering mine, and eventually settled on Brooklyns.
Now thanks to your pictures I am second guessing myself hahaha.

Congratulations on the new car though! I still have a few more months to wait unfortunately

If you don’t mind can you please reply post some pictures of the interior ambient lighting in the dash please.
There had been some curiosity about how/if the new centre air vent design had changed the ambient lighting.
Is the new centre peice illuminated? Is there still the light strip across the passenger dash section.
Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:50 AM   #19
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
Looks amazing!!!
I was torn between skyscraper and brooklyns when I was ordering mine, and eventually settled on Brooklyns.
Congratulations on the new car though! I still have a few more months to wait unfortunately
I’m sure Brooklyn will be great too! Which wheel color and interior did you do?
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx192.00
      Today, 06:04 AM   #20
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’m sure Brooklyn will be great too! Which wheel color and interior did you do?
Thanks!
I went with black wheels , comfort seats with M tri colour highlights., and carbon trim.

I am generally not a fan of black wheels but I thought Brooklyn’s was too light a shade of grey for the silver to work. Also the dealer had a 23 2nd hand on the lot in brooklyns and black wheels and it looked amazing. So while I was tempted by a few other colour options, given the monumental purchase a new M car is for me, to took the option to spec what I had seen and knew I loved.
Appreciate 2
NewToM1429.00