BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

09-24-2024, 09:23 PM   #23
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
Oh that's a pic from Dinan's instructions. Wanted to show 2 specific points Dinan makes about the install. Maybe they could help Jabcat diagnose.
Yes, I was agreeing it’s something to check with spacing that minimal.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT1173.50
      09-25-2024, 07:51 PM   #24
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I followed the Dinan install directions & have checked all clearances & exhaust hangers. Clearance is great all around. Regarding the "hum", I may be getting used to it as it didn't bother me on my drive home today as much (or I was just irritated by the 5:30 pm drivers). What it reminds me of is when my Z06 is lugging in 4th gear when I really should be in 2nd. I'll try to get some audio of it.

Figured out the valve situation. My son found a small baggie with two springs & some screws in it when he was breaking down the box to throw away. After an exhaustive internet search I found that those springs need to go on the valve controllers. Every single G87 exhaust install video fails to mention this and fails to show it. They all show the finished product, but skip a done of steps.

I know most manufacturers/vendors now fail to include installation instructions or parts lists with their products, but at least the Dinan box had a an included parts list & link to instructions included. I guess I'm lucky my son ripped apart the MAD exhaust box before throwing it out & found the baggie.

I'll install the springs on the valve controllers this weekend when I get home & I assume they will function as they should.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2024, 11:26 AM   #25
Southtown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I know most manufacturers/vendors now fail to include installation instructions or parts lists with their products
Yeah I don’t get that either. I know a lot of things are common sense but it’s nice to have when you want to try to work on your own car. I get to try to figure out how to wire in the Suvneer rear diffuser this weekend since no instructions are included.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #26
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
Yeah I don’t get that either. I know a lot of things are common sense but it’s nice to have when you want to try to work on your own car. I get to try to figure out how to wire in the Suvneer rear diffuser this weekend since no instructions are included.
Even an included parts list would've been nice. If my son didn't find the little baggie with the springs when throwing the box away, I would've been sol.

Got the springs on, valves work. Am I correct that they don't open fully, just like the oem valves, and that they only open in Sport+ mode? I tried them in sport & even though the little green light illuminates on the console, they're not open. I did pull the fuse when open & they stay open (partially open). Will drive around a little bit to see if I like that or want the adjustability.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #27
Southtown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Even an included parts list would've been nice. If my son didn't find the little baggie with the springs when throwing the box away, I would've been sol.

Got the springs on, valves work. Am I correct that they don't open fully, just like the oem valves?
Correct. Still need a valve controller for that since it’s still being controlled by the factory parameters.

Last edited by Southtown; Yesterday at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #28
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
Correct. Still need a valve controller for that since it’s still being controlled by the factory parameters.
Nothing like having to spend more $ to get full function out of something
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Nothing like having to spend more $ to get full function out of something
can't blame Dinan for that; it's due to how BMW programmed the valves.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #30
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
can't blame Dinan for that; it's due to how BMW programmed the valves.
I'm not blaming the exhaust manufacturer, the BMW programming to have the valves not open completely is stupid. I've had other vehicles with oem valved exhaust and they opened completely.

Now what the exhaust vendors who offer a valved exhaust should do is include the valve controller with the exhaust purchase. You could increase the price of the exhaust pkg by $200. It's psychology, I'd pay say $1,600 for this exhaust I just paid $1,400 for if that was simply the price. Even though I still end up paying pretty much the same total separately, I feel like I'm spending more money to get the extra valve controller after the fact.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I'm not blaming the exhaust manufacturer, the BMW programming to have the valves not open completely is stupid. I've had other vehicles with oem valved exhaust and they opened completely.

Now what the exhaust vendors who offer a valved exhaust should do is include the valve controller with the exhaust purchase. You could increase the price of the exhaust pkg by $200. It's psychology, I'd pay say $1,600 for this exhaust I just paid $1,400 for if that was simply the price. Even though I still end up paying pretty much the same total separately, I feel like I'm spending more money to get the extra valve controller after the fact.

not a bad idea, but vendors can't do that since the controller is a different brand, suppliers can certainly do it if they make their own controllers, i also think that would generate more revenue for them

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #32
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Went for a little drive with the valves open. Even with the window down, I don't feel like it's any louder than stock with the valves open. The "burbles" & "pops" when downshifting in Sport+ were definitely deeper, but wouldn't say louder. Idling in my driveway with the windows down waiting for my gate to open the car was nearly silent.

I also think I may have found the source of the 2k rpm "hum" I mentioned earlier. I checked pipe clearance all the way back and it was great (pics), but the driver's side pipe just to the rear of the brace was very close to the heat shielding material. I could fit my fingers between the passenger side pipe & the heat shield, but couldn't on the driver's side. I pushed up on the heat shield along that section of pipe (it's pliable) to create a little more space between it & the pipe. I didn't experience much "hum" at 2k rpms on my short drive, but will have to test it out on the highway at 80-85 mph (my normal cruising speed between Dallas & Austin).

It was a bit annoying on my 4 hour drive home last night & the louder the music got seemed to amplify it. Hopefully it was the pipe touching the heat shield & I've remedied it. I'll report back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #33
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Many people already have a valve controller so we sell it a la carte.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-supra-min...ve-controller/
Appreciate 0