09-21-2024, 07:27 AM   #221
DrewNewM2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey G87 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
And I’m not gonna go crazy. I thought about big power, but it doesn’t make sense so I’d be good with an ethanol tune with bolt ons. i’ve read that any power increase the clutch starts slipping. So that’s another fact pointing to the fact that the transmission set up was not designed for this car like there’s zero room for power you know people talk about if they just put a JB4 and starts slipping
Ethanol, Bolt ons a tune is probably around 700 whp. That’s pretty big power and going to be very tough to get traction regardless of auto or 6MT. I’d be more worried about traction than a few grand for an aftermarket clutch. When you start hitting those levels in any car, most people would prefer AWD. I’m a manual buyer almost exclusively. I have 2 other manual cars and have had manuals my whole life. I don’t know why people say this transmission isn’t meant for this chassis, etc. yes, the shifter is a bit rubbery and throws are long but not a big deal ans a clutch slipping when you add 150+whp is understandable.

Traction is my only real concern….If only BMW would bring back AWD manuals!

I’m
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2024, 01:09 PM   #222
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: I drive one

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNewM2 View Post
Ethanol, Bolt ons a tune is probably around 700 whp. That’s pretty big power and going to be very tough to get traction regardless of auto or 6MT. I’d be more worried about traction than a few grand for an aftermarket clutch. When you start hitting those levels in any car, most people would prefer AWD. I’m a manual buyer almost exclusively. I have 2 other manual cars and have had manuals my whole life. I don’t know why people say this transmission isn’t meant for this chassis, etc. yes, the shifter is a bit rubbery and throws are long but not a big deal ans a clutch slipping when you add 150+whp is understandable.

Traction is my only real concern….If only BMW would bring back AWD manuals!

I’m
Well they say that because it's the same transmission as the F series and maybe even before that. That has a different power curve.
I don't have it or remember where but someone posted the shift points of manual vs auto and based on the dyno chart the auto stayed at the optimal levels while the manual drops out for most shifts.
The gearing wasn't designed or changed for this platform.
Another point is the torque limit. Generally they give you some leeway with the supporting hardware on the engine. In this case the torque is already maxed out.

Now as for the power and traction. I can always get a lower power amount. I just prefer running ethanol because from what I've seen cars just run smoother with it. You can run more timing which is always better in terms of efficiency. The extra power and cooling is a good benefit.

In any case I will most likely be doing manual for the feel. It's been a while since I've had one and I do plan on getting an AWD car to build with big power so I don't need a lot of power with the M2. I'll see how things are when I get it. I know I'll get used to the power so it's a matter of how long that is before that happens

A side note on traction, I wonder how well BMWs M traction settings help. Like Porsche has really good traction management partially due to the engine layout but when you add power it's still pretty usable.

Last edited by curtdragon; 09-21-2024 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrewNewM2749.00
      09-21-2024, 09:41 PM   #223
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
You might have convinced me to go 6 speed. Changed it but I have time before I can't make any changes
again, it all depends on how you intend to use the car- i always intended to keep power at stock levels and drive the piss out of the thing. i like a manual in my daily street car and my local back roads are conducive to such a configuration.

if this also describes you... you will not regret the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2024, 07:33 AM   #224
BroDoze
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

How bad would I take it in the shorts trading in a low-mileage 2025 for a 2027 XDrive?
      09-23-2024, 10:13 AM   #225
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
How bad would I take it in the shorts trading in a low-mileage 2025 for a 2027 XDrive?
Not sure, but on the bright side rates/APR will be much lower, if you do decide going that route.

The Fed has already cut half a point just recently & will continue slashing by .25-.50 every quarterly meeting.

{ Psalm 71:1-24 }
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2024, 11:24 AM   #226
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
You haven't even gotten your '25 yet and you're already planning on trading it in?

Enjoy what you (will soon) have instead of fretting about the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2024, 11:30 AM   #227
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Have you driven a G87 yet? The car is pretty sticky and handles very well for having 460 wheel HP and being rear wheel drive. For sure the AWD M2 is going to be a bit quicker zero to 60 but I think the RWD version does a tremendous job. If drag racing is really important to you there are things you can do to RWD version to improve traction.

Just enjoy the car and don't worry about the far future. Or, if the AWD is what you really want then wait for that and not lose your butt on a trade in.
      09-23-2024, 12:04 PM   #228
fzr100098
Private
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2

xdrive is for 0-60 bench racing and that's about it (will probably add 150# or more too) - on a mountain road I'll take the rwd and have more fun
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2024, 09:13 AM   #229
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
xdrive is for 0-60 bench racing and that's about it (will probably add 150# or more too) - on a mountain road I'll take the rwd and have more fun
M Xdrive allows for plenty of fun to be had if you choose. Hell, it allows you to be full RWD if desired. The M XD is already very rear biased and allows for as much slip angle as the driver wants. I know most AWD systems tend towards understeer, this isn't one of them. The additional grip allow you to get back on power earlier on corner exit. There is absolutely 0 reason to get the RWD version if getting a comp. If someone absolutely must have the manual, so be it, but outside of that its xdrive or GTFO.

I for one will definitely be ordering an M2X when offered.
lithe32.50
      Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #230
OneTwo3
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
If Xdrive is just for 0-60 racing, are the non-xDrive models of the M3 and M4 actually faster around the Nürburgring? (mentioning this track as the benchmark) Does the rear-wheel-drive setup offer any advantage on a track or winding mountain road? Many people say that the RWD versions are more engaging to drive, but I wonder if they’re truly quicker or more beneficial on a circuit like the Nürburgring. Or even a mountain road.

I'm debating whether to order the upcoming M2 CS, which will be RWD, or go with the M3 Competition xDrive. Any insight on which might be the better choice?

Last edited by OneTwo3; Yesterday at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #231
techwhiz1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwo3 View Post
If Xdrive is just for 0-60 racing, are the non-xDrive models of the M3 and M4 actually faster around the Nürburgring? (mentioning this track as the benchmark) Does the rear-wheel-drive setup offer any advantage on a track or winding mountain road? Many people say that the RWD versions are more engaging to drive, but I wonder if they’re truly quicker or more beneficial on a circuit like the Nürburgring. Or even a mountain road.

I'm debating whether to order the upcoming M2 CS, which will be RWD, or go with the M3 Competition xDrive. Any insight on which might be the better choice?
Well, I can make it easy for you.
If you aren't in line to get a CS already, the chances of getting one are pretty slim.