BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #1
laughMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6sp AW/Cognac

fake engine sound: does it make a difference for DD?

I need some help here from the fellow M2 owner who has disable the fake engine sound using bimmercode or similar device.

My understanding is that turning off ASD using the bottom in the center console does not turn off fake engine sound completely, fake sound are in "Reduced" state. It still produce a low hum through the speaker all the time. Please correct me if this is wrong.

M2 is my daily driver, and I drive on highway 30min-1hr at times, hearing the hum and drones for that long kind of bothers me. My old A4 was best for highway cruising, stable and quiet, but a bit boring to drive.

Even the GR86 seems to be less noisy than M2! But that's can't be, right?? M2 suppose to be a luxury sport coupe, where GR86 is a econobox sport coupe!!!

I am not a big exhaust sound guy, I like to open the window and hear the sound when I want to, and close the window and enjoy the luxury interior and the excellent performance of my car.

So I am hoping the fake engine noise is the cause of the problem.
For those that have it turn off, what is your opinion?
Are they still loud and noticeable in "Reduced" mode?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 Toronto Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughMan View Post
I need some help here from the fellow M2 owner who has disable the fake engine sound using bimmercode or similar device.

My understanding is that turning off ASD using the bottom in the center console does not turn off fake engine sound completely, fake sound are in "Reduced" state. It still produce a low hum through the speaker all the time. Please correct me if this is wrong.

M2 is my daily driver, and I drive on highway 30min-1hr at times, hearing the hum and drones for that long kind of bothers me. My old A4 was best for highway cruising, stable and quiet, but a bit boring to drive.

Even the GR86 seems to be less noisy than M2! But that's can't be, right?? M2 suppose to be a luxury sport coupe, where GR86 is a econobox sport coupe!!!

I am not a big exhaust sound guy, I like to open the window and hear the sound when I want to, and close the window and enjoy the luxury interior and the excellent performance of my car.

To be honest I only hear the fake noise when near WOT with windows up. I mainly drive with windows down so its not an issue.
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #3
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 25 X5 M60, 24 Truk

Bugged me on my past F80/82s, non issue for me on the current M2. Maybe I’m just used to it now years later. Seems like everyone is doing it in some form or another.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #4
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

I like when companies use the sound tube instead of the speakers. Easy enough to remove and plug the holes and not have to worry about anything software related.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #5
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
I used BimmerCode to turn it off and don’t notice any noise. Pretty sure you have to go to expert settings to actually turn it off fully.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

It’s not intrusive compared to the f8x gen. Just cruising around you won’t really hear it even with the sound button pressed. Without the sound button pressed I can’t hear it at all. At WOT I actually quite like it, without it the car is super quiet even at redline. If you want exhaust but no ASD, you can get a valve controller for $300. The exhaust never fully opens under stock programming so you will want that anyway.

Last edited by Montaver; Yesterday at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #7
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I don't hear it at all on the highway. I switch to the Efficient engine mode, and I'm not even sure if it's on or not. I use Sport+ when driving around town in the lower gears, and I like what I'm hearing. To me, it sounds like it's mostly coming from the exhaust, if not fully, and I like it.
      Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #8
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughMan View Post

the active sound was the worst I've experienced in a bmw. had mine coded off immediately. on street my valves are usually closed and it's pretty quiet. valves open and its just right. no drone.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #9
BroDoze
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Very glad I was able to code out ASD on the 2025 iDrive 8.5. See ya!
      Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #10
laughMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6sp AW/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
the active sound was the worst I've experienced in a bmw. had mine coded off immediately. on street my valves are usually closed and it's pretty quiet. valves open and its just right. no drone.
thanks for the response!
did you code it out in expert mode with bimmercode?

some post earlier said it is not noticeable, what do you think?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #11
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I use alex@alpinemss
Appreciate 0