home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #1
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Strike at US East Coast Ports

Ruh roh (for those waiting on a new car)

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...on-2024-09-29/
Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:25 AM   #2
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, F30 328i, F15 X5, F82 M4

I can’t hold myself back from commenting on this.

$69/hr to take stuff off of a boat is insanity. Then there’s the “no automation” stance which makes everything more expensive for us. There are many jobs that can’t be performed by a robot, if your role is one that can then it’s time to start job hunting or studying. This is why a lot of other countries are out-performing us by a long shot. Instead of worrying about innovation and max efficiency we’re worried about satisfying unions and people’s feelings at any cost. The world is changing and we’re slowly getting left behind because of crap like this.

I was in a union for one year after high school, never again. All they do is add a communistic component to what is supposed to be an open market. Ring the bell and get your cheese, everyone gets paid the same and your entire future is predetermined by the union. Now let’s all go on strike and “cripple” America because we want to make $150,000/yr to pick things up and put them down.

Perfect timing too, my build is getting ready to ship. Maybe they’ll send it to the West Coast if this strike holds up. Thanks for coming to my TEDTalk.

Last edited by ednir98; Today at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 6
      Today, 08:59 AM   #3
fluffhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '25 Manual M2 FPB

I'm hoping this won't affect any M2's that are currently at port getting port installed options. Mine arrived on the 17th and work order for HAS was scheduled for the 19th. No updated since then.

My dealer is waiting on mine and one other that is also having some MP parts installed.

2025 M2 Frozen Portimao Blue II Metallic | M Color Seats | Manual | MP HAS | Mods | Accessories
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:09 AM   #4
M2diamondblack
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW M2 (In production)

ednir98 100% agree with you! I’m hoping as well that it gets resolved quickly, impact on the country could be very significant otherwise, not to mention cars just sitting on carriers unable to be unloaded.

2025 M2 Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Highlight Seats | 8 Spd Auto
Appreciate 1
ednir98531.00
      Today, 09:20 AM   #5
IanH
Rep
Drives: None Yet

I'd rather be the guy fixing the robots than the guy moving things. Union "politics" aside, things that can be done well and reliably through automation must be done so. On the counterpoint, putting a worse or less reliable system in place in the name of reducing labor costs must be discouraged.
Appreciate 2
evdoho319.00
ednir98531.00
      Today, 09:21 AM   #6
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

one thing is for sure: this thread is gonna turn into a shitshow lol
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:32 AM   #7
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:32 AM   #8
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednir98 View Post

I was in a union for one year after high school, never again. All they do is add a communistic component to what is supposed to be an open market.
Wow. You'll alienate half the country with that broad statement.
      Today, 09:33 AM   #9
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
I'm hoping this won't affect any M2's that are currently at port getting port installed options.
I heard all goods won't be able to go in or out after midnight if a deal is not struck. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that but either way it's a sad reminder of how fragile everything is.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:36 AM   #10
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
No no, we'll be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Wow. You'll alienate half the country with that broad statement.
Sorry, sometimes I let my inner Kevin O'Leary show... now I just need a fraction of his bank account.

Last edited by ednir98; Today at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:51 AM   #11
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
I heard all goods won't be able to go in or out after midnight if a deal is not struck. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that but either way it's a sad reminder of how fragile everything is.
from what i understand, the shutdown is an inevitability at this point. there's no negiotations ongoing and none planned for today. its a question of how long at this point (or does the current administration backtrack on their promise to not break the strike under Taft-Hartley, or will they sign a bill to block the strike like they did with U.S. railworkers in 2022)

but for everyone's purposes here, i'd brace for some delays regardless of coast, how long is anyone's guess
Appreciate 1
ednir98531.00
      Today, 10:22 AM   #12
fluffhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '25 Manual M2 FPB

Quote:
I heard all goods won't be able to go in or out after midnight if a deal is not struck.
That would suck.

2025 M2 Frozen Portimao Blue II Metallic | M Color Seats | Manual | MP HAS | Mods | Accessories
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:11 AM   #13
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
That would suck.
I’m not big on speculation but we still have the west coast and ground transportation. If things get bad enough I’m sure they’ll try one of those two, if not both. Looks like there are 6 major rail gateways in the US for Mexican freight. I know slamming Cali ports with extra cargo will slow things down but slow movement is better than no movement.

Last edited by ednir98; Today at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      Today, 11:21 AM   #14
Digitalprty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I remember one March morning earlier this year, I opened my phone to read news that a bridge in Baltimore had collapsed. My first thought was “holy crap!” Reading further into the story, it looked like since it was in the middle of the night, casualties were minimized.

Then, in my half-asleep stupor, it popped in my head, “wait, is this going to delay the delivery of my M2?” My car was currently on a ship heading to the NY/NJ when the collapse happened. Sure, I was a little annoyed, but I would rather the area around the bridge be stabilized before worrying about my new toy.

Moral of the story, shit happens. Getting a sports coupe takes a back seat to people’s lives and livelihoods.

P.S. My ship didn’t need to stop at Baltimore, so there was no delay there. Getting the MP HAS installed at the port, though? That took weeks for some reason…

P.P.S. A $150,000 salary doesn’t go as far as it used to in this economy.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 11:24 AM   #15
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalprty View Post
I remember one March morning earlier this year, I opened my phone to read news that a bridge in Baltimore had collapsed. My first thought was “holy crap!” Reading further into the story, it looked like since it was in the middle of the night, casualties were minimized.

Then, in my half-asleep stupor, it popped in my head, “wait, is this going to delay the delivery of my M2?” My car was currently on a ship heading to the NY/NJ when the collapse happened. Sure, I was a little annoyed, but I would rather the area around the bridge be stabilized before worrying about my new toy.

Moral of the story, shit happens. Getting a sports coupe takes a back seat to people’s lives and livelihoods.

P.S. My ship didn’t need to stop at Baltimore, so there was no delay there. Getting the MP HAS installed at the port, though? That took weeks for some reason…

I doubt they are set up to deliver via ground (carrier or train) and not sure what they would need to do so. With that being said, my guess is that they won't change their method of transportation and things will be in a holding pattern.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:38 AM   #16
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalprty View Post
Getting a sports coupe takes a back seat to people’s lives and livelihoods.

This is an M2 forum, the M2 deliveries take a front seat here because of that but it's not to say we're not thinking about the other impacts of this.

Also, not everybody deserves to be financially well-off. We are compensated for the work performed, not based on how hard the world is or how much the company profits. That's the reality of capitalism. I think most would agree $54/hr (their current offer) is plenty to unload a boat and that $69/hr is overkill.

Last edited by ednir98; Today at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      Today, 12:44 PM   #17
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
I can’t hold myself back from commenting on this.

$69/hr to take stuff off of a boat is insanity. Then there’s the “no automation” stance which makes everything more expensive for us. There are many jobs that can’t be performed by a robot, if your role is one that can then it’s time to start job hunting or studying. This is why a lot of other countries are out-performing us by a long shot. Instead of worrying about innovation and max efficiency we’re worried about satisfying unions and people’s feelings at any cost. The world is changing and we’re slowly getting left behind because of crap like this.

I was in a union for one year after high school, never again. All they do is add a communistic component to what is supposed to be an open market. Ring the bell and get your cheese, everyone gets paid the same and your entire future is predetermined by the union. Now let’s all go on strike and “cripple” America because we want to make $150,000/yr to pick things up and put them down.

Perfect timing too, my build is getting ready to ship. Maybe they’ll send it to the West Coast if this strike holds up. Thanks for coming to my TEDTalk.
Oh boy. If it's such an easy job, why don't you go do it? It's only unloading heavy equipment in dangerous conditions while standing outside 14 hours a day. What a braindead take, but not unexpected from a BMW owner.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
wjones14818.00
      Today, 12:59 PM   #18
IanH
Rep
Drives: None Yet

Part of the problem with union contracts is that the union is hedging their pay raise request against a dirth of increases in the future. They are in this small window where they have the opportunity to negotiate so they have to go for above what they need since they might not be getting competitively paid in the back half of the contract.

Anyone would negotiate for the same kind of deal given the terms of the arrangement in those shoes.

The part that, as I said before grinds my gears, is that it appears they are trying to block innovation in cargo handling as a way to keep jobs around. That's hogwash.
Appreciate 1
ednir98531.00
      Today, 01:15 PM   #19
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Oh boy. If it's such an easy job, why don't you go do it? It's only unloading heavy equipment in dangerous conditions while standing outside 14 hours a day. What a braindead take, but not unexpected from a BMW owner.
You seem to have a difficult time not being a dick. Every time I see you post you're attacking someone or being immature. Start acting like an adult and manage your emotions accordingly while we have an actual discussion here.
Appreciate 3
      Today, 02:14 PM   #20
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
You seem to have a difficult time not being a dick. Every time I see you post you're attacking someone or being immature. Start acting like an adult and manage your emotions accordingly while we have an actual discussion here.
Resorting to personal attacks after acting like an entitled asshole. Shocking.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:19 PM   #21
ednir98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Resorting to personal attacks after acting like an entitled asshole. Shocking.
I guess you'd know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:24 PM   #22
Digitalprty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
This is an M2 forum, the M2 deliveries take a front seat here because of that but it's not to say we're not thinking about the other impacts of this.
You sound like me. Oh how the turntables..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ednir98531.00