BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #397
the1stcody
Rep
Drives: M240i

I've got the dreaded rear thump on my '23 M240i. I bring it in tomorrow for the dealer to look at it, AND my driver-side front strut that is knocking, so I'll report back if any new info is uncovered to help this group. My car just got the passenger front strut, mount, etc. replaced due to horrible knocking when going over bumps. I don't know if my car's suspension is a lemon or what but it only has 12k miles on it and will likely need every strut/shock replaced. Is anyone else experiencing front strut or bearing failure too?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 03:23 AM   #398
Damiuki
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stcody View Post
I've got the dreaded rear thump on my '23 M240i. I bring it in tomorrow for the dealer to look at it, AND my driver-side front strut that is knocking, so I'll report back if any new info is uncovered to help this group. My car just got the passenger front strut, mount, etc. replaced due to horrible knocking when going over bumps. I don't know if my car's suspension is a lemon or what but it only has 12k miles on it and will likely need every strut/shock replaced. Is anyone else experiencing front strut or bearing failure too?
I don't understand, after replacing the front strut does it still make noise? I also have the famous thump on the right rear, it is very annoying. and it also had a knocking in the front, I took it to the dealer and they changed the tie rods and it was solved, I only have to try to solve the rear noise now
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 05:35 PM   #399
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Rear suspension noise is solved. It’s the shock absorber design flaw.

BMW is not doing anything to try to remediate it. I rallied a bunch of people on FB and the forums to reach out and complain to BMW North America customer service. NOTHING. You can take it to the dealer but they will only replace the part with another faulty part. There is a part lottery in which some absorbers may be quieter but will still thump. The fix involves going aftermarket (Bilstein Evo SE) or trying an M340i shock absorber.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 09:49 PM   #400
Damiuki
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post

BMW is not doing anything to try to remediate it. I rallied a bunch of people on FB and the forums to reach out and complain to BMW North America customer service. NOTHING. You can take it to the dealer but they will only replace the part with another faulty part. There is a part lottery in which some absorbers may be quieter but will still thump. The fix involves going aftermarket (Bilstein Evo SE) or trying an M340i shock absorber.
Would you have a photo of the shock absorber?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:37 PM   #401
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiuki View Post
Would you have a photo of the shock absorber?
I do not but it is this part circled. Should be part number: 37-10-6-894-638
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:09 PM   #402
the1stcody
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand, after replacing the front strut does it still make noise? I also have the famous thump on the right rear, it is very annoying. and it also had a knocking in the front, I took it to the dealer and they changed the tie rods and it was solved, I only have to try to solve the rear noise now
I still have noise in the front from the driver-side now, they had replaced the passenger side hoping it would fix the clunk but it didn't. Luckily my S.A. heard the rear clunk the last time I was in so it won't be a case of "we can't replicate it". Regardless I am just shocked at the suspension issues already.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:14 PM   #403
the1stcody
Rep

Quote:

I'll just keep being a menace then until they redesign or I'm out of warranty. Luckily I work with my S.A.'s mom so he is as much on my side as he can be. I realize I don't sign his paycheck but it definitely helps. I'll likely go Billy's at some point since I track the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:10 PM   #404
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll just keep being a menace then until they redesign or I'm out of warranty. Luckily I work with my S.A.'s mom so he is as much on my side as he can be. I realize I don't sign his paycheck but it definitely helps. I'll likely go Billy's at some point since I track the car.
Cool. Let us know if you ever get an official fix.

Otherwise I plan on going for the Bils myself before the next cold season (my thump is gone in the warm weather, comes back with a vengeance when it gets cold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 06:06 PM   #405
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:

For what it’s worth, which is clearly nothing, I replied to an email from corporate about my experience and ripped into them over the thump and the shitty performing backup cam. I summarized everything we’ve been going through and even told them about the successful replacements with aftermarket coilovers. Haven’t gotten a response yet lol. When I take it in for firt service I’ll try to convince them to swap and see if I get an improvement.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201867.00
      05-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #406
the1stcody
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Let us know if you ever get an official fix.

Otherwise I plan on going for the Bils myself before the next cold season (my thump is gone in the warm weather, comes back with a vengeance when it gets cold)
Just chatted with my S.A., they've reached out to their regional engineer and are waiting for his response. Sounds like he may have to inspect it at this point. S.A. says they can hear the noises but cannot identify what is the cause. He said everything is tightened and looks to be in spec. He's trying to locate another M240 to drive to compare (I'm assuming to rule out it isn't "just normal sounds"). We'll see what the engineer says but I'm not hopeful.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201867.00
      05-22-2024, 07:41 PM   #407
Damiuki
Rep

Quote:
I do not but it is this part circled. Should be part number: 37-10-6-894-638
There is something I don't understand, are you telling me that the M340i has the same shock as the M240i? And on the M340i there are no thump noise problems? This doesn't make much sense does it? It's very strange... Either they don't have the same shock, or then it has to be another problem, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 07:48 PM   #408
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is something I don't understand, are you telling me that the M340i has the same shock as the M240i? And on the M340i there are no thump noise problems? This doesn't make much sense does it? It's very strange... Either they don't have the same shock, or then it has to be another problem, right?
The M340 has a different part number so they are not the exact same OEM part. HOWEVER, the Bilstein aftermarket adaptive shock absorbers will fit both the 340 and the 240.

I am guessing that the difference in OEM shocks is different spring/damping rates due to different vehicle weights. But aside from that, all the bolts should align up
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 06:33 AM   #409
Damiuki
Rep

Quote:
The M340 has a different part number so they are not the exact same OEM part. HOWEVER, the Bilstein aftermarket adaptive shock absorbers will fit both the 340 and the 240.

I am guessing that the difference in OEM shocks is different spring/damping rates due to different vehicle weights. But aside from that, all the bolts should align up
ohh i got you... Likewise, if in Bilstein they are the same, logic would say that Bilstein would be wrong in putting the same specifications for the 2 car if OEM are different. The other opcion is that the OEM are certainly exactly the same... Something is still wrong here haha, tell me if I'm wrong. Aniway, tell me how many miles you have been with the Bilsteins? everything is OK until now? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 06:20 PM   #410
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just chatted with my S.A., they've reached out to their regional engineer and are waiting for his response. Sounds like he may have to inspect it at this point. S.A. says they can hear the noises but cannot identify what is the cause. He said everything is tightened and looks to be in spec. He's trying to locate another M240 to drive to compare (I'm assuming to rule out it isn't "just normal sounds"). We'll see what the engineer says but I'm not hopeful.
I’m sure we can find another person that has it that he could listen to. Tell him he can contact anyone in this thread lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 02:20 PM   #411
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Wish me luck. I’ve got the car on the lift and I’m poking and banging on everything in sight. I’ve actually found a few suspects that I’m going to address. I am also finishing up a downpipe, and then I’ll take it for a spin and see if I made an impact.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 04:58 PM   #412
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
Wish me luck. I’ve got the car on the lift and I’m poking and banging on everything in sight. I’ve actually found a few suspects that I’m going to address. I am also finishing up a downpipe, and then I’ll take it for a spin and see if I made an impact.
But we already know the cause. It’s noisy struts in the passenger side rear
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201867.00
      05-25-2024, 05:33 PM   #413
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
But we already know the cause. It’s noisy struts in the passenger side rear
That’s the strongest theory, I agree. But one case of coilovers solving it hasn’t sold me yet. There’s still plenty more back there to look at, it’s a complicated vehicle.
Appreciate 1
BPM2408.00
      05-26-2024, 11:32 AM   #414
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s the strongest theory, I agree. But one case of coilovers solving it hasn’t sold me yet. There’s still plenty more back there to look at, it’s a complicated vehicle.
I check everything on the rear end. Exhaust, fuel filler neck, fuel tank, that aluminum cross bar, battery, trunk lining, etc. I even removed the plastic wheel well liners and undercarriage plastics. But good luck, always good to have more eyes on it.

Edit: having had taken so much apart, I must say the car is very well put together from the factory! 👍
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2838.00
      05-27-2024, 08:32 AM   #415
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I check everything on the rear end. Exhaust, fuel filler neck, fuel tank, that aluminum cross bar, battery, trunk lining, etc. I even removed the plastic wheel well liners and undercarriage plastics. But good luck, always good to have more eyes on it.

Edit: having had taken so much apart, I must say the car is very well put together from the factory! 👍
At this point you know more about the rear end of this car than anyone at the dealer lol
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201867.00
      05-28-2024, 06:35 PM   #416
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Edit: having had taken so much apart, I must say the car is very well put together from the factory! ��

Under the passenger side liner there is a bit of plumbing related to the EVAP system and gas filler. I wrapped some things that were a little suspect and could be making noise, but nothing with as DEEP of a thump... its all just lightweight plastic and would be more of a lighter tapping sound.

Id like to take a deeper look at the sway bar end links and (plastic) mounts next time I am under there. I considered actually just removing the end links for a test drive, but did not yet.

My car did stop thumping for a day. Having it up off the ground seemed to relax something somewhere. Because when I put it back down and drove it around for a while the sound was gone. I was actually convinced and slightly confused thinking I must have fixed it with padding some of the loose lightweight plastics tapping around. But by the next day it was back clear and obvious as ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 07:26 PM   #417
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Under the passenger side liner there is a bit of plumbing related to the EVAP system and gas filler. I wrapped some things that were a little suspect and could be making noise, but nothing with as DEEP of a thump... its all just lightweight plastic and would be more of a lighter tapping sound.

Id like to take a deeper look at the sway bar end links and (plastic) mounts next time I am under there. I considered actually just removing the end links for a test drive, but did not yet.

My car did stop thumping for a day. Having it up off the ground seemed to relax something somewhere. Because when I put it back down and drove it around for a while the sound was gone. I was actually convinced and slightly confused thinking I must have fixed it with padding some of the loose lightweight plastics tapping around. But by the next day it was back clear and obvious as ever.
Good point. Maybe having the car in the air extended the shock absorbers for a bit and temporarily reduced the sound. Wish I could test some more but my thump completely disappears in warmer weather.

At this point I think I’m going to wait until the temps drop below 60. That’s when I start to hear the thump. Then I will have the suspension installed to hear the difference for myself. I’m 96.69% sure it is the shocks
Appreciate 1
PNTDG42494.50
      05-29-2024, 04:55 AM   #418
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I noticed as well that the thump would go away for a day whenever I had the car in the air for a bit. Next day it would always return.
Appreciate 1
PNTDG42494.50