BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) GodD@mn Coolant Leak- 2018 x1 X-Drive

05-11-2024, 05:30 PM   #23
Old_Ranger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, BMW M3

Completed this repair - guessing it's a 90% failure rate >100K miles

I'm done with the repair, and grateful for the information you all put up here. I'm typically lurking on the nam3forum as an E46 addict...so I appreciate the effort it takes to run a forum like this.

I concur with what's in this thread:

1) if your heat stops working, check your coolant expansion tank. If it is empty, then it's probably not because the engine/head gasket is a problem
2) confirm where the leak is coming from, If it is this thing, it can be easily observed after removing the plastic/fiber cover under the engine.
3) I agree, there is no need to remove the fan shroud. Removing the intake, the electric water pump, and getting the hoses out of the way is sufficient.
4) Tools: If you're going to leave the fan in, you will need a flex head ratchet for the lower bolt on the oil cooler assembly.
5) Other parts: just like knightarmor recommended - replace that stubby connector. It is nice to have a 1/4" drive with flex joint and extensions to do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 10:08 AM   #24
limsheng
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
2016 BMW X1  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Congratulations! Terrible OEM design. Are you going with the aluminum replacement?
Yeah, I was asking my friend mechanic about the aluminum type. But it’s a Friday evening and he can order OEM parts Saturday morning and fixed everything back before lunch. So, didn’t get the time to search and I’m glad if it can last another 60k KM ?
Appreciate 0