F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 335 Engine sounds "harsh"
Extreme Powerhouse

06-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Regarding the disconnect of that plug, I think it will throw some shadow codes. I removed the U shaped spring clip and wired the exhaust flap open. I had it in for about a week and it sounded really good. Took a road trip with the family and there was a horribly annoying drone doing 55-65 mph. As soon as we got to our destination I put the clip back in cause I couldn't stand the drone. Glad I brought the clip with.
can someone explain what the hell is drone? Im guessing annoying vibrations
      06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
can someone explain what the hell is drone? Im guessing annoying vibrations
That's one way to describe it. Overly obnoxious exhaust sound within the cabin while cruising. It's one thing for it to sound all nice while you're 'getting on it' but it's annoying if it is constant while your cruising along.

I dont have that issue with mine but would definitely not like it if I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Prior to purchasing my car i read a lot of praise for the "sweet" sound of the N55 engine.
I only had an opportunity to test drive an M135i hatch and was really happy with the sound. Albeit with some synthetic audio assistance. My dealer convinced me that the 335 was exactly the same.
Well i have to say, i am not particularly impressed with the flat metallic whine of the 335i's engine, it's nothing like the M135i. There is no "sweet" note. It sounds harsh, simple as that.
I tried adding the M Perf exhaust and that made little to no difference.
What's most upsetting is that the cheaper 1 series sounds better, has more HP, more TQ. I just don't get that!!
If it just sounded better it would be a perfect car in my opinion.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
***For clarification i am referring to the sound of the car from the driver's perspective, i have not heard my car from the outside driving by as yet.
We don't get the M135i hatch in the US. In fact we don't have any new 1 series, still the old one with the current N55.

The current 135iS is available, but once optioned up to better compare to an equally optioned 335i the cost difference isn't much at all.
In fact I was shocked at how expensive a 135iS is compared to my 09 135i.
The cost difference is several thousands in US dollars. I think the current 135iS is over priced in comparison to the F30 335i.

My 335i Msport sounds just fine to me. Compared to my 135i N54 my 335i is a bit quieter inside when running. Even with the stock exhaust the 135i did have a cooler sound inside and out.
My 335i N55 feels a touch smoother at idle and at WFO high rpm but both engines are butter smooth, so it's likely that the 335i simply isolates the engine and sound more than the 135i.

The N55 in the 335i does sound great, for sport sedan with an EPA allowed exhaust. I don't get any harshness what so ever, so I'm surprised that you're experiencing a harsh sounding engine. Could it be that there is something wrong with your engine? Is it butter smooth at idle? It should be.
If there is any vibration or odd harsh noise/sound, then I'd take it in and have them look and listen.

The BMW M Perf exhaust is very nice, but if you want loud, then look to the aftermarket as the M Perf is more on the 'civil' side of wild.
When I test drove a 335i with that exhaust I thought it was very nice and very sporty, but not wild.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0