05-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #23
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politicalicon View Post
Put around 200 miles on the car (6MT) and have just a couple of thoughts.

Cons:
1. Clutch pedal is very springy and hard to get used to when going from one manual to another.
2. Tank size - Are you kidding me? Should have been 16 Gallons at the minimum!
3. Brake Pedal feel - It feels like some of the old Video games, I find it hard to believe it's attached to a hydraulic system
4. Idrive 8 - okay.. They need to bring back the ability to add more data on the side of the screen, this was a TERRIBLE oversight
1. You get used to it.
2. It's a small car.
3. It's brake by wire.
4. What screen mode are you using? I find the sport cluster lets you see plenty of driving information on the left side of the screen.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2024, 11:46 AM   #24
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
Another question - is there a way to associate your BMW ID with BOTH keys? I keep one in my work bag and one at the house. This morning it logged me in as guest and when I went to get in I smacked my head on the a-pillar because it had moved the seat so dang far forward. Plus all the EQ settings, favorites, mirror settings were ALL GONE. I figured out how to add my BMW ID to this key, but perhaps the other key will now be guest. Annoying, and this morning, painful. I don't want this thing moving the seat EVER. It even turned on both seat heaters and its 70 degrees out (!). My Wife's X5 does this all the time, mixing up and forgetting settings between the 2 keys.
I don't know if this is possible. One solution I have read on here is to set the guest profile to the same settings as your profile.
      05-31-2024, 08:56 AM   #25
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I don't know if this is possible. One solution I have read on here is to set the guest profile to the same settings as your profile.
Tried that but it doesn't work. You can't save settings or shortcuts to the guest profile. So I signed into my wife's profile with the other key. The mechanics of the car are solid, the computer systems are very glitchy in this car and my wife's '23 X5. They both play the same games and its seriously annoying at this point.

Get in on a 76 degree day and it decides I need seat heater and steering wheel heater on and system heat on even though it is set at 65 degrees and everything on "auto". "Auto" setting on the AC is useless, I'm thinking my inside thermister is faulty. Keeping my system set at 65 degrees keeps it at 75 degrees inside, except when it turns the heater on randomly. I have to set MAX AC to get it comfortable in the cabin, then that's too cold so go back to 65 and it gets too warm. It isn't regulating properly. (my wife's X5 doesn't have this particular issue)

It randomly forgets my phone but you can't re-add it because "phone is already paired." Plug it in to USB and same thing. Carplay randomly doesn't start up, so I pick a sirius XM station, then 30 mins later Carplay turns on and takes over. Take one key and it starts up with the other profile....Parking sensors completely randomly do or don't turn on so I have stopped trusting them completely. I love the mechanics of this car but the thing is SO frustrating from a computer system perspective. If this stuff is glitchy what about the stuff that matters like safety systems? BMW has clearly cut some corners on this thing and I just can't get that thought out of my head...have to remind myself that at its heart it is "just a 2 series."

I guess it is what an abusive relationship must be like...the romp is wonderful, the rest of it, ehhhh. 3 weeks in and I'm considering selling this thing which honestly is shocking but those thoughts are there. Thanks for the therapy session...

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 05-31-2024 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
BroDoze1520.00
      05-31-2024, 09:02 AM   #26
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

^^ Wow! :O

So if my wife isn’t going to be driving mine, do I even need to use the profile thing at all? Or will it forget all my settings if I don’t? Are there not actual M1/M2 seat memory buttons in the car?
      05-31-2024, 09:20 AM   #27
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tried that but it doesn't work. You can't save settings or shortcuts to the guest profile. So I signed into my wife's profile with the other key. The mechanics of the car are solid, the computer systems are very glitchy in this car and my wife's '23 X5. They both play the same games and its seriously annoying at this point.

This one plays all the same games hers does...Get in on a 76 degree day and it decides I need seat heater and steering wheel heater on and system heat on even though it is set at 65 degrees and everything on "auto". "Auto" setting on the AC is useless, I'm thinking my inside thermister is faulty. Keeping my system set at 65 degrees keeps it at 75 degrees inside, except when it turns the heater on randomly. I have to set MAX AC to get it comfortable in the cabin, then that's too cold so go back to 65 and it gets too warm. It isn't regulating properly. (my wife's X5 doesn't have this particular issue)

It randomly forgets my phone but you can't re-add it because "phone is already paired." Plug it in to USB and same thing. Carplay randomly doesn't start up, so I pick a sirius XM station, then 30 mins later Carplay turns on and takes over. Take one key and it starts up with the other profile....Parking sensors completely randomly don't turn on so I have stopped trusting them completely. I love the mechanics of this car but the thing is SO frustrating from a computer system perspective. If this stuff is glitchy what about the stuff that matters like safety systems? BMW has clearly cut some corners on this thing and I just can't get that thought out of my head...have to remind myself that at its heart it is "just a 2 series."

I guess it is what an abusive relationship must be like...the romp is wonderful, the rest of it, ehhhh. 3 weeks in and I'm considering selling this thing which honestly is shocking but those thoughts are there. Thanks for the therapy session...
Hang in there. All I know is that when I was 3 weeks into ownership I was still struggling rowing through the manual gearbox and I hadn't even started to customize all my settings for seat position, sound, climate control, etc. I'm a little over 4 months into ownership and feel like I have a handle on most of the things but it's an iterative process getting things dialed in.
BroDoze1520.00
Mr. Hankey1476.50
      05-31-2024, 09:22 AM   #28
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post

So if my wife isn’t going to be driving mine, do I even need to use the profile thing at all? Or will it forget all my settings if I don’t? Are there not actual M1/M2 seat memory buttons in the car?
What I do is only use the 1 key fob that is associated to my profile and settings.
BroDoze1520.00
NewToM1430.50
      05-31-2024, 09:43 AM   #29
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:
I was still struggling rowing through the manual gearbox
Eh?
      05-31-2024, 09:54 AM   #30
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh?
I guess some context might help. This comment was not a knock on the manual gearbox in the car. It had been about 15 years since my last manual car so my initial focus when I got the car was learning how to drive it smoothly. Getting the 1st to 2nd gear upshift down took a bit (especially when shifting at low revs). Then things like understanding what are my triggers for shifting.....is it engine noise, the tach, the horizontal shift light.....
Mr. Hankey1476.50
      05-31-2024, 09:56 AM   #31
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:

Yes if you can get by with 1 key just do that. Hide the other one. DO NOT buy lost key insurance . There are 2 seat memory buttons but their settings are tied to your key, so you should be OK. I had to train my other key by looking physically at where the seat was for memory position 1 and 2, shut the car down, start it with the other key, set the seating position and save it....shut the car down and restart with the first key and see if the position moved and after about 4-5 round of this I had the seat positions cloned between the 2 keys. So seating isn't an issue anymore and it hasn't tried to squish me since that day.

Also all the computer settings I set up in the new key the same as the other key so things are consistent. In my wife's X5 we have 2 keys with 2 different sets of settings. Sometimes I will get in with my key and it picks my wifes profile so the seating is off, settings are different...etc. Not a deal breaker but annoying. Similarly she will get in with her key and about 50% of the time it will pick my profile so she's driving with my settings...she is allowed to override my seat settings but I would never dream of doing that to her!

With my car I know there is a bad rear taillight, but it is doing some other things to suggest it isn't the taillight but rather something in the harness (it blinks faster if I'm turning the steering wheel for example). I'm hoping some of the stuff I'm seeing stops when they replace that light. The keyfob settings are just not seamless and clearly BMW hasn't worked this out since it happens in 2 cars I own and we have friends with a BMW who have the same BMW Profile issues...that's a systemic thing BMW has created in the complexity of their software and they need to fix. So to avoid that just use 1 key yes. For me I have reached the "get off my lawn" portion of my life that I don't want to deal with this BS. Just give me a car that I can drive and whose systems are consistent and reliable. These are niggly things but they aren't consistent or reliable. Maybe its the universe telling me to tear the inside out, put a rollcage in and track car. I'm also past the point in my life that I will defend something that is messed up so as not to admit that I made a mistake, or put it on a pedestal and assume everything about it is perfect and there are no issues. My particular copy of this car has some issues. BMWs software has some issues.

Mechanically the car is fantastic. No issues with the manual whatsoever, I've only driven manuals as my primary car for 32 years, this one is great, definitely better feel than my F80.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 05-31-2024 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 09:58 AM   #32
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.10]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:

This one plays all the same games hers does...Get in on a 76 degree day and it decides I need seat heater and steering wheel heater on and system heat on even though it is set at 65 degrees and everything on "auto". "Auto" setting on the AC is useless, I'm thinking my inside thermister is faulty. Keeping my system set at 65 degrees keeps it at 75 degrees inside, except when it turns the heater on randomly. I have to set MAX AC to get it comfortable in the cabin, then that's too cold so go back to 65 and it gets too warm. It isn't regulating properly. (my wife's X5 doesn't have this particular issue)

It randomly forgets my phone but you can't re-add it because "phone is already paired." Plug it in to USB and same thing. Carplay randomly doesn't start up, so I pick a sirius XM station, then 30 mins later Carplay turns on and takes over. Take one key and it starts up with the other profile....Parking sensors completely randomly don't turn on so I have stopped trusting them completely. I love the mechanics of this car but the thing is SO frustrating from a computer system perspective. If this stuff is glitchy what about the stuff that matters like safety systems? BMW has clearly cut some corners on this thing and I just can't get that thought out of [...]
Wow, this is totally different then my experience. I set everything on auto and it just works. My only complaint about the climate is when I want to roll down the windows and completely disable it, which is fairly infrequently. I find the auto heated seats work perfectly - my wife keeps passenger on a higher setting and it definitely turns on before mine on low. I also keep climate -> setting -> upper body adjustment right in the middle.

I would definitely get it checked out, cause heated seats on in summer is crazy.
Appreciate 3
Mr. Hankey1476.50
KC87ZB436.50
aerobod4129.00
      05-31-2024, 12:40 PM   #33
KC87ZB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Shrug? I have routinely exceeded 200mi in mixed city/highway with the 6MT.

And even if I didn't, I would disagree it's "objectively" too small. Everyone has different needs.
Agree with this. I may not always get much over 200 but that's mostly my fault or if my driving is heavy stop/go. Road trip distance of over 300 means about 4 hours between stops, that's about all we do anyway.

And I'm not getting mileage like JABCAT of just under 19 lifetime (math method versus car method (20.5)).
      05-31-2024, 12:42 PM   #34
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I will agree the electronics are wonky, but they've been wonky in each new car '22 or newer we've purchased. My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee L Summit with a sticker of $70k, drove 20 hours round trip to pick it up, and the electronics gave us issues from day one. Would forget profile settings at least once a week, infotainment would black out once a week, etc. All dealer could say was "maybe they'll release a software update to fix these in the future.

She got fed up after 9 months and traded for her '22 X3MC. The X3 has been good up until recent OTA software updates. Now it's forgotten her key profile settings a couple times lately. The memory 1 & 2 settings for each key have been reset, it connects to her phone when she's not in the vehicle & won't recognize mine but shows it's connected.

I haven't installed the latest software update in my M2, but notice the park sensors are very random when they alert & when they don't when I'm parking in the exact same spots (my garage). My wife doesn't drive my M2, so I don't mess with the 2nd key/guest profile on that car.

I also own a Corvette and follow those forums. Constant complaints from new owners on software issues with the C8 Stingrays & Z06s.

Sadly, it's the world we live in, and I think will only get worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 10:46 AM   #35
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
I guess some context might help. This comment was not a knock on the manual gearbox in the car. It had been about 15 years since my last manual car so my initial focus when I got the car was learning how to drive it smoothly. Getting the 1st to 2nd gear upshift down took a bit (especially when shifting at low revs). Then things like understanding what are my triggers for shifting.....is it engine noise, the tach, the horizontal shift light.....
1 > 2 is the hardest shift to get smooth. It's been that way with every BMW I've owned (my M3 is my third manual BMW).

These cars like slow, deliberate shifts in everyday driving. Try pushing the clutch all the way in BEFORE shifting. Then a nice slow pull or push to the next gear + let the clutch out.

Just have to get the timing right, that's all.

Charles
JMcLellan2527.00