BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-28-2024, 12:45 PM   #23
Baldilocks73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (on order)

I think the interior of the 2024 looks dated compared to the 2025 and the 2022 even more so. I don't mind the screens. To each his/her own. Would be boring if we were all the same.

Last edited by Baldilocks73; 08-28-2024 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2024, 12:54 PM   #24
Antique-ace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Chris View Post
I have a ‘22 and I absolutely love it. Perfect mix of modern screens implemented into the interior seamlessly… and buttons! Love the cluster gauge hood as well.
I agree completely!
In 2022 when I decided I wanted to buy a M240i it was already late enough in the year that I was going to wait until the 2023 models were available. After I saw the changes in the 2023 M240i I decided I liked the features in the 2022 version better and searched for (and bought) a low-mileage CPO 2022 M240ix with all the options and in the color I wanted. I have not regretted that decision at all.

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3 Coupe.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris167.00
      08-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #25
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

I am very happy with the 2022, i think the integrated dash/infotainment looks much cleaner than id8. Thats not to say id8 is bad, as its the latest tech and all of us will liekly move to it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 02:58 PM   #26
Blue Spruce
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I am very happy with the 2022, i think the integrated dash/infotainment looks much cleaner than id8.
I don't mind ID8 but agree the 2022 dash looks better.

The main reason I didn't want a 2022 was no RWD option though. AWD would be cool during the 3 days a year it snows here but I have a 4runner for that. I'll leave my summer tires on the M240i year around.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 06:09 PM   #27
MPR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Spruce View Post
I don't mind ID8 but agree the 2022 dash looks better.

The main reason I didn't want a 2022 was no RWD option though. AWD would be cool during the 3 days a year it snows here but I have a 4runner for that. I'll leave my summer tires on the M240i year around.
Depends on what you do with the car. For me it is a daily, zero track time. So with nearly 400 hp i want AWD all day, regardless of weather conditions. Ive also switched to all seasons since we have 4 seasons where i live.

Ive also become a fan of automatics after driving nothing but rwd manuals for 25 years.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2024, 09:04 PM   #28
peaceindriving
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Garage List
2022 Bmw 230i  [8.67]
I love my MY22 230i and like others preferred the integrated dash, and physical buttons and shifter. I lurked on BP for quite some time picking up much appreciated info to help guide my decisions.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 06:52 AM   #29
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

I do group rides with a few other guys and we all have Garmin Navs that we use for turn-by-turn custom GPX routes. I like the huge BMW Nav screen on my '24 which I keep full screen during the rides to show me where I am on the route and I can even glance at it to see where the Garmin Nav is telling me where to go. It sure beats looking at the 6" display on the Garmin.

I also use the huge Nav screen when I am traveling for the same reason. Sure, Wayze and some other phone apps work better but for my old eyes, that huge NAV screen is a heck of lot better than trying to squint at a tiny phone screen - which is also dangerous.

Would I like to have round gauges - yes. Would I like to have buttons for climate control - yes. Would I like to have the dash compartment, usb ports and rear climate buttons - possibly. Do I miss any of them - no. I could have ordered X-Drive on my '24 but X-Drive is one of those things that I might like to have only when I am up in the twisties when the roads are wet. I prefer RWD 99.5% of the time - it is not my daily.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 08:39 AM   #30
logjamexcalibur
Rep
Drives: ‘22 230i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post

I also use the huge Nav screen when I am traveling for the same reason. Sure, Wayze and some other phone apps work better but for my old eyes, that huge NAV screen is a heck of lot better than trying to squint at a tiny phone screen - which is also dangerous.
why not put waze on the big screen using aa/carplay?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 12:26 PM   #31
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

I could have ordered X-Drive on my '24 but X-Drive is one of those things that I might like to have only when I am up in the twisties when the roads are wet. I prefer RWD 99.5% of the time - it is not my daily.[/QUOTE]

BMW's X-drive is real-wheel bias. X-drive also makes the M240i a "grip monster"; off the line or through tight, twisty curves. X-drive is a performance plus in dry and all conditions and is not just for inclement weather.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 12:27 PM   #32
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I could have ordered X-Drive on my '24 but X-Drive is one of those things that I might like to have only when I am up in the twisties when the roads are wet. I prefer RWD 99.5% of the time - it is not my daily.
BMW's X-drive is real-wheel bias. X-drive also makes the M240i a "grip monster"; off the line or through tight, twisty curves. X-drive is a performance plus in dry conditions and is not just for inclement weather.

Bob
Appreciate 2
MPR1919.00
      08-29-2024, 01:07 PM   #33
wb8164
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG 230i

Another vote for the shift lever, even is it is not directly connected to the transmission. I like using " sport manual" mode to change gears myself. Most of the time I use the paddles on the wheel to shift, but if I'm making a turn from a stop, it's easier to use the shift knob to grab second gear rather than trying to use the paddle while the wheel is turned 90 deg or more. Also, it's nice to have to option to shift with the lever or the paddles.

I think it's also easier to knock the shift knob over to enter/exit sport mode since it's right at hand. I often pop the lever to the left at a stop light as a temporary way of exiting the auto start/stop function.

Finally, if BMW felt the shift nub was truly superior to the electronic shift lever, they'd equip their true M cars that way, but they don't (M2,M3,M4,M8). That indicates to me that the change was a cost cutting measure.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris167.00
      08-29-2024, 03:24 PM   #34
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Thanks everyone for their comments.
Personally, I like the consistency between the dash of or X3 and the 2022 m240i.

I'm not 100% sold on not having any climate controls that are easily and instantly accessible, but to be honest I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the new id8. Just like anything, i'm sure it's easy to get used to

For these reasons and everything else you have pointed out, I am in the market for a lightly used single owner 2022.
Appreciate 1
wb8164142.00
      08-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #35
Blue Spruce
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
I'm not 100% sold on not having any climate controls that are easily and instantly accessible, but to be honest I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the new id8. Just like anything, i'm sure it's easy to get used to
Not to beat a dead horse but I've realized that if I can use the touch screen for navigation, music, etc then climate control is no problem. Physical buttons would be my preference but BMW's auto climate control is so good I rarely have to adjust anything other than the temperature (and that's only if there's a big swing in outside temperature). Also, with the voice commands you don't really have to touch anything at all.

My wife's Honda is the worst of both worlds with the climate controls being half physical half touch screen.
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #36
Papasuki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Not mine. But this 2022 M240i has the dial gauges that look exactly like mine. The center between the gauges can be changed to show different info.

Bob
Actually, the speedo and tach are analog, meant to look digital. Some angles with sunlight you can actually see the mechanical pieces. Nonetheless… I have this set up, and it like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 06:19 AM   #37
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logjamexcalibur View Post
why not put waze on the big screen using aa/carplay?
This if off topic but did you understand what I wrote? We use GPX files for our routes. If you know of a way to import custom GPX files into Waze or the M240i navigation system, I am all ears.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 06:20 AM   #38
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW's X-drive is real-wheel bias. X-drive also makes the M240i a "grip monster"; off the line or through tight, twisty curves. X-drive is a performance plus in dry conditions and is not just for inclement weather.

Bob
I have driven both; I prefer RWD.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2024, 10:23 AM   #39
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have driven both; I prefer RWD.
Nothing wrong with preferring RWD. People prefer a lot of difference things. What one likes or prefers is relative to the person. However, all the performance specs favor X-drive, and in any weather conditions. And that fact is not relative to what one likes or dislikes. The better performing choice is X-drive, if performance is a parameter that matters.

Bob
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2024, 12:14 PM   #40
logjamexcalibur
Rep
Drives: ‘22 230i m sport

Quote:
This if off topic but did you understand what I wrote? We use GPX files for our routes. If you know of a way to import custom GPX files into Waze or the M240i navigation system, I am all ears.
apparently there are two options for apps with carplay support that also support GPX import, rever and gaia gps. but i wasn’t addressing that, i was addressing this part, which I quoted:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 03:46 PM   #41
MPR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with preferring RWD. People prefer a lot of difference things. What one likes or prefers is relative to the person. However, all the performance specs favor X-drive, and in any weather conditions. And that fact is not relative to what one likes or dislikes. The better performing choice is X-drive, if performance is a parameter that matters.

Bob
I had the AWD vs RWD convo recently with one of my car buddies. We concluded that many are used to favoring RWD because historically having RWD was the thing to have for a sports/sporty/fun car (I know the G42 is not a sports car). Cars are now putting down much more power than 15-20 years ago to the extent that you need AWD to utilize it effectively.

Granted, theres a time and a place for RWD, and it’s not for a daily driver. Some may even argue not for the track, definitely not for a 1/4 mile car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 04:16 PM   #42
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I had the AWD vs RWD convo recently with one of my car buddies. We concluded that many are used to favoring RWD because historically having RWD was the thing to have for a sports/sporty/fun car (I know the G42 is not a sports car). Cars are now putting down much more power than 15-20 years ago to the extent that you need AWD to utilize it effectively.

Granted, theres a time and a place for RWD, and it’s not for a daily driver. Some may even argue not for the track, definitely not for a 1/4 mile car.
I would be interested in seeing a professional driver take a base M240i RWD and a base AWD on the same track, same day, on same tires. I know our AWD M240i has a LSD rear differential, but isn't the front open? I don't know if it actually sends specific torque to a specific front wheel, or if it is open and uses the brakes to manage output. Basically, how much does our AWD actually benefit cornering traction? Would it actually result in a better lap time on a circuit, or would skilled driving in a RWD which has almost 200lbs less weight result in a faster time?

Some AWD systems offer tremendous benefit, some are not as good. XDrive is well touted, but I know it's not the best out there. And yes, my question pertains to circuit racing in particular, thus showing the benefit of AWD (if there) under the most dynamic circumstances. For safety, AWD is obviously superior in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 04:22 PM   #43
Blue Spruce
Rep

On a dry circuit there will be little difference between AWD and RWD. It's not like 382 hp is an insane amount where you can't put down power out of corners. Tires will be a much bigger factor than AWD. RWD is also more predictable, there's always 100% going to the rear. I don't really care what people drive but you're not going with AWD for performance reasons outside of drag racing.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 10:07 AM   #44
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Bob
Thanks Dad.
Appreciate 0