home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

06-24-2024, 01:19 PM   #23
yoon_209
Senpai
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M2

Just watch the video. It’s very informative. He describes it like a mineral oil not saying it is. Believe the tech or not. The information is presented for you on a silver platter.
      06-24-2024, 01:40 PM   #24
yoon_209
Senpai
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I am telling you techs know nothing other than what the manual tells them to do.

Anyone can post a video saying anything. Describing an oil like "mineral", especially describing it as thinner BECAUSE of it, is such a wrong thing to say... That I'm surprised you believe it just because it's on the internet.

As I mentioned, be careful with Nigerian princes and Instagram parts for sale.
Have you watched the video?
      06-24-2024, 02:22 PM   #25
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
Just watch the video. It’s very informative. He describes it like a mineral oil not saying it is. Believe the tech or not. The information is presented for you on a silver platter.

I have a bridge to some prime swampland to sell you...
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2024, 02:25 PM   #26
yoon_209
Senpai
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I had watched it before.
Just watched it now again.

The advice is good, in general. I was addressing the fallacies presented, that's all. I agree in general with the advice being given. You will find that I am somewhat of a passionate person when it comes to spewing untruths or things one doesn't know, or has no proof of.

Fresh takeaways (he does say some things that are true, like the noise from the HPFP, which I have mentioned here before when people ask about the noise, I'm only referring the ones that are dubious here):

- At the 9:57 mark he says the car in "running in mode" is "not allowing the car to reach its full potential whether it be by the RPM band or the horsepower the car has". This is 100% false. RPMs are reachable , and power is unchanged from day 1 to the last day of the car's life.

- At 10:40 he's asked if the break-in oil is the same as the F80s, his answer: "Essentially, yes. They do change the viscosity and things of that nature depending on the type of motor that it is, you know every motor is different in its own way, so BMW takes that in mind as well, so they will use different types of running in oil for that specific engine". Do I need to say how much BS is being spewed? Maybe I do. Hire a person to work on your HVAC, ask them a question, and when they answer it to you like that, DON'T HIRE THEM LOL.
He is saying something he doesn't know to be true because he has no proof.
If the engine oil (not the "special running in oil") is the same for those M motors, why would the running in oil be different? Apply some logic to [...]

It’s fair to dissect every sentence and break down everything he says and determine what is true. But your right, tech is giving his opinion. Is everything he says technically the right thing, idk, prob not. But the bigger picture of what they are saying is perhaps the most educating and informative I’ve seen in all my research of what a break in entails.
      06-24-2024, 02:27 PM   #27
yoon_209
Senpai
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I have a bridge to some prime swampland to sell you...
Iv presented you information because you asked, I am not claiming it and only repeating, is it disinformation perhaps but unless you can put forward something that states otherwise I’m all ears to listen and learn
      06-24-2024, 02:36 PM   #28
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Iv presented you information because you asked, I am not claiming it and only repeating, is it disinformation perhaps but unless you can put forward something that states otherwise I’m all ears to listen and learn

So did you get a new phone case, too, for promoting a garbage video? That video has been around. So muchvtrash posted (by a tech after hours at a dealership)...but I guess you are one of those, "if it's on YouTube or Facebook it must be true" people.

Sorry, not worth wasting more time on this garbage (I will never recover the time I have already wasted).
Appreciate 1
yoon_209551.50
      06-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #29
yoon_209
Senpai
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
So did you get a new phone case, too, for promoting a garbage video? That video has been around. So muchvtrash posted (by a tech after hours at a dealership)...but I guess you are one of those, "if it's on YouTube or Facebook it must be true" people.

Sorry, not worth wasting more time on this garbage (I will never recover the time I have already wasted).
Since this video is garbage, instead of bashing please present me the correct info. Isn’t this is the whole point of forums and discussion threads.
      06-24-2024, 02:49 PM   #30
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
i didn’t believe either and thought it was bs until i watched this video. This is all taken at the dealer. Watch the whole thing and decide for yourself.

💩💩
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 09:43 AM   #31
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Take it easy for the first 400 miles, vary the RPM and do some engine braking from different rev ranges i.e. accelerate to 5K RPM at 50% throttle, engine break back to 2k. Do the same with 75% throttle. This will help seat the piston rings. After that drive normally, then change the oil at 1k. YMMV, this is just my opinion.

I would also add, M engines used to be high revving naturally aspirated motors with super tight tolerances that redlined at 8K. This is where the break in recommendations came from. Now were talking about an S58 that can barely break 7K. These engines are also incredibly robust and under tuned from factory. People care so much about break in on the forums, when in reality what really impacts an engines lifespan and tolerances is mechanical sympathy i.e. if its driven hard when it's cold and not allowed to warm up properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 06:23 AM   #32
Angmar
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 2024

The break in is definetely necessary…The S58 engine is built to tighter tolerances than the average mass production engine so there is some metal shavings that will end up in the oil and filter from the first couple hundred miles…..Also, the differential gears need to be worn in and their will be quite a bit of metal in the dif oil from the break in as well. Also, more importantly the car comes with a special oil to help with the break in that doesn’t lubricate as well as regular oil to allow rings to seat better and removal and flush metal out of the engine during the break in service and then gets replaced with normal synthetic oil. So I would advise you not to beat the shit out of your car while this oil is in the engine because it is by design meant to allow metal wear and removal.

Aside from that if something happens to your engine and BMW sees you were either over revving the engine or were late for the break in service then there is a good chance they will use it as an excuse to leave you on the hook for a $40000 engine.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209551.50
      06-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #33
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Another thing is the car will not be CPO-eligible if the break-in wasn’t completed correctly, if that’s a concern to you. While it sucks to wait so long to have fun (I put so few miles on my cars, even as dailies) it needs to happen how BMW says it needs to happen.
      06-27-2024, 04:36 AM   #34
mrcheyl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Supra

A month for break in is wild. Can be done in a weekend with nice routes.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209551.50
      06-27-2024, 08:56 AM   #35
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmar View Post
Also, more importantly the car comes with a special oil to help with the break in that doesn’t lubricate as well as regular oil to allow rings to seat better and removal and flush metal out of the engine during the break in service and then gets replaced with normal synthetic oil.
💩
Appreciate 1
NewToM1429.00
      06-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #36
dissident111
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Think about all the built engines that get a very short break in period then go right on the dyno. It all happens faster than most people think.
Yeah that’s fine. I had to do the miles to get break in service and would rather keep the engine break in as they specified so I can keep warranty. Only took a little over a week of taking a long drive to hit the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 11:44 AM   #37
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident111 View Post
Yeah that’s fine. I had to do the miles to get break in service and would rather keep the engine break in as they specified so I can keep warranty. Only took a little over a week of taking a long drive to hit the mileage.
You did 1,200mi in a little over a week?

I’m trying to figure out how to get the miles on in 3mo so I can enjoy the car sooner! Every scenario I come up with involves hwy miles with constant speeds, which are a no-go. And the weather will be getting crappy about the time I pick my car up. We will have probably had our first snow by then. I’ll have to get creative.
      06-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #38
dissident111
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post

I’m trying to figure out how to get the miles on in 3mo so I can enjoy the car sooner! Every scenario I come up with involves hwy miles with constant speeds, which are a no-go. And the weather will be getting crappy about the time I pick my car up. We will have probably had our first snow by then. I’ll have to get creative.
Yes, I live in Austin so I just mapped out 50 mile round trip on back roads and did that a couple times a day, sometimes 3 times. Then on the weekend I drove 250 plus scenic route with nice windy back roads. I got it to 1100 and did the break in.
Appreciate 2
NewToM1429.00
BroDoze1520.00
      07-01-2024, 08:18 AM   #39
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
I am telling you techs know nothing other than what the manual tells them to do.
This is true for 99.99% of them, and really all that needs to be said.
Techs are some of the worst from whom to gain knowledge about cars because they only know what the manual says & very rarely can think beyond what the manual says to trouble-shoot something or find a better/more efficient way.

Unless the information is directly from the engineers/engine builders themselves, take it with a giant grain of salt.

Now BMW could do what Chevy did on the C8 Corvette and fake limit the redline on the digital tach to fool owners into not revving it past a certain rpm. At 500 mi the redline changes to the normal redline and everyone thinks the rev-limiter was removed
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2024, 09:34 AM   #40
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post

Drove my 2023 MINI JCW from Loveland CO to Benton County AR over 2 days. 873 miles. All freeway miles.

But wasn't hard to vary RPMs. Car equipped with a manual.

Every so often -- traffic permitting -- I'd let the car slow in gear to around 50mph then accelerate up to the speed limit or so. Sometimes I could do this several times in rapid succession.

During the 2nd day after 500 miles or so I could feel the engine getting stronger.

After buying my M2 I managed to drive the car right off the showroom floor 200+ miles from the dealer to home all on the freeway and did the same thing. Had I felt the need I could have done all the break in miles on the freeway over a few days. (Road trip!) But my daily usage sufficed to reach 1200 miles in about 6 weeks.
Appreciate 1
BroDoze1520.00
      07-01-2024, 09:51 AM   #41
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The ring road around Calgary is 100km long, just needs 3 circuits a day to complete the running-in in a week. I generally used 3, 4 & 5th gears to vary the revs every 10 seconds or so and vary the speed a lot when the traffic was light by coasting down to a low speed as often as possible. The hardest part was trying to use 2/3 throttle as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #42
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Driving the ring road 3 times a day… I used to drive it 3 times a year…

What was your middle-finger getting ratio in those runs? 1 per run?
I only went early weekend morning or late evening, so traffic was light and I only dropped to 50km/h or so when there was no traffic going to reach me from behind while travelling slowly, so no irate drivers invoked.

Last year when I did the M2 running-in it was turnaround at either end with it being a 7/8ths ring road. Now the ring road is complete, the new engine in the Caterham was run-in this year, a more difficult task due to the startling noise to other drivers and wider rev range to be exercised.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2024, 07:57 PM   #43
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 Toronto Red 6MT

I am going to follow the BMW runin instructions, but that being said no way do I believe there is just mineral oil in the crankcase. Even 5k rpm would put a ton of stress onto the rotating assembly. I do believe they maybe use an additive. This video dispels that other video.

2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 07-02-2024 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
BroDoze1520.00