J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoo View Post
I have this one on my G87
https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-m2...b6f01cd3&_ss=r

I like it because it doesn't sit too low or too high. It's centered. And the plate can rest lightly on the car without damaging the paint with the included license plate pads to create additional support/tension while driving. I also have mine on top of ppf.
Check the thumb screw. I suggest putting purple threadlocker on it. My first thumb screw fell off. I assume from vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:39 PM   #24
NovaChris
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3

Garage List
Here is the Slybracket
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:13 AM   #25
MineralGreyMetallic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
Do you get harassed for no front plate in California? I’ve gotten a couple tickets when I lived in LA for no front plate. Never ran into any other issues with no front plate in California and I’ve not had one on a car in 20+ years.
In nearly a decade of not running a front plate I only got cited for it once. I was parked and away from the car.

The real reason my car even attracted their attention was because I was backed into a spot, and the downtown SM parking structures don't allow that. They tacked the missing front license plate on to that ticket as a courtesy.

I also don't drive a lot. 26k miles in 7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAHANATHON View Post
Just installed the slybracket and this thing is amazing. Looks perfecr and highly recommend for anyone in an area that requires front plate
Which front splitter is that?
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN31260.00
      04-24-2024, 06:06 PM   #26
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Sly bracket mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
Is it possible to install the holder upside down so the license plate is not hanging downwards and blocking the lower radiator/ACC radar, but rather, holding upwards near where the original mounting location would be as if you were drilling and installing the OEM bracket?
Apparently it can be mounted somewhat higher: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=6

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
jhstjh63.00
      04-24-2024, 06:11 PM   #27
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Carbonio mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoo View Post
I have this one on my G87
https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-m2...b6f01cd3&_ss=r

I like it because it doesn't sit too low or too high. It's centered. And the plate can rest lightly on the car without damaging the paint with the included license plate pads to create additional support/tension while driving. I also have mine on top of ppf.
You still happy with it? Looks good. I don't really like to rely on adhesive for the mount, but it's probably fine, just like for spoilers.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 10:22 PM   #28
motorknut
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiresAlwaysFlat View Post
I got the Slybracket plate holder.. easy enough to install and is solidly mounted. I did have to put foam tape where the bracket hooks to the front grill so it won't scratch the grill(if that makes sense).
what kind of foam tape did you apply?

i've looked at PPF for the slats, and some silicone tape to apply to the bracket clamp. also concerned with scratching the trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 11:53 PM   #29
mtoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 G87

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2021 BMW X7 xDrive40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
You still happy with it? Looks good. I don't really like to rely on adhesive for the mount, but it's probably fine, just like for spoilers.
Yeah, it's been perfect. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 06:29 PM   #30
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Check the thumb screw. I suggest putting purple threadlocker on it. My first thumb screw fell off. I assume from vibration.
Yes, this happened to mine also, I caught it on time, but was very lose.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 05:13 PM   #31
Newgenbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorknut View Post
what kind of foam tape did you apply?

i've looked at PPF for the slats, and some silicone tape to apply to the bracket clamp. also concerned with scratching the trim.
I just invested in the SlyBracket and it's seems well built and just wrapping the hooks with few rounds of black silicone tape made me feel better about the grilles alternatively it may add some minor protection to the front center radiator. My plan is to keep it assembled in the trunk unless hassled about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 11:15 PM   #32
mtoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you. It wasn't perfectly tight and I could imagine it vibrating off after a couple of years of not realizing. I'll look into the thread locker.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 11:42 PM   #33
motorknut
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgenbimmer View Post
I just invested in the SlyBracket and it's seems well built and just wrapping the hooks with few rounds of black silicone tape made me feel better about the grilles alternatively it may add some minor protection to the front center radiator. My plan is to keep it assembled in the trunk unless hassled about it.
i tried laying some rubber tape to cushion the hooks on the mount too, but then it didnt sit straight when mounted.

I'm using te TwistnFix clip on bracket for now. seems to work well , and just needs a bit of ppf on the front bumper where the mount sits.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #34
mtoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
Update: My carbonio license plate mount failed this month. I had it installed professionally at the beginning of December. The adhesive started to come off over several days until it fully failed.

I contacted Carbonio and they asked me to send pictures and then said it was installed in an uneven location. I don't think that was actually true. I think the real problem might have been it being installed on the edge of ppf that started to fail.

Regardless, I bought some new 3M tape (5952) and attempted to reattach it a half inch further back so it's both not on the ppf and on a "flat" surface per Carbonio. I used Goo Gone to remove the old adhesive from both the car and the mount before re-attaching.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd look for other options. This is too unreliable in my opinion. Even in the initial position, the bracket is slightly too short to have the license plate be completely vertical on the G87 M2 (it's tilted at a slight angle forward to fit). It's not a deal breaker, but the mount doesn't fit the M2 perfectly (which honestly isn't a super big deal). Now it's a little worse since I moved it a half inch further back, requiring a little more tilt. But again, not super noticeable or a problem on its own.

I'll passively start investigating other options since now I'll have license plate anxiety on when it will fail next.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 05:02 PM   #35
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I installed my bracket before I had the car PPf'd since I seem to recall reading somewhere the installation over PPF was a no no. So far so good with mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 11:12 PM   #36
mtoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I installed my bracket before I had the car PPf'd since I seem to recall reading somewhere the installation over PPF was a no no. So far so good with mine.
I left mine with the people who PPF'd my car for this reason. They ended up PPF'ing my car first, then installed the mount. They said if the mount was on, they would have removed it to put on ppf, and then reattached the mount. They do enough high end cars that I'd expect they knew what they were doing. So that was unfortunate. Carbonio themselves say to not put the mount on PPF.
Appreciate 0