BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-07-2024, 04:53 PM   #23
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Here is the placement of my RD. It has an unobstructed view and close to the windshield
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:24 PM   #24
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

FYI, if you’re running any kind of tint on your windshield, you can forget laser anything working. There are some factory windows that also exhibit his limitation too.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #25
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Can u pm me your setting or post it here. I wanna know whats different from mine or maybe its just a faulty unit.
Im using vortex radars settings. Seen here. Scroll down to get the file. Oh and I segmented mine to 2/5/8.

https://www.vortexradar.com/2022/04/...ure-uniden-r8/

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-07-2024 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 08:51 PM   #26
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
FYI, if you’re running any kind of tint on your windshield, you can forget laser anything working. There are some factory windows that also exhibit his limitation too.
I have my windshield tinted and I've had a few laser pops.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 09:53 PM   #27
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just tint on my windows. None on my windshield. I did have my ka and k pop off per default vortex settings. I did a full factory reset and gonna use the RD on my DD vehicle fir the next 4 wks and see if it starts picking up things more.
Appreciate 1
M4ord821.50
      05-08-2024, 07:34 PM   #28
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:
That R8 isn’t going to pick up laser very well at all. Lol

Hate to say it, but a V1 is about the only one that will give even the slightest lidar warning, if you’re lucky and they’re shooting a car in front of you or aiming down the road. No other one can pick up lidar due to the more simplistic design on the front eye they have. Even so, to even get a save without jammers you need to be lucky in the sense that you picked up a bounce or that you dove on the brakes hard enough for the cop to either not care or think his first hit was off. Some places they’ll shoot a couple of times to get a good reading to verify… it’s all a little bit of a gamble with lidar, but I’ve had about 4 saves with my old V1G1 against Truspeed lidars.

V1 Gen1 and Gen 2. They are very good at LiDar but.... For 99% of the time when La is illuminated it is just letting you know your speed has been recorded and the LEO is deciding if your worth the work to be given a citation. But V1 does give you a chance if your among other cars / trucks and it picks up scatter.

I've witnessed the effectiveness of V1. But if your alone on a highway, get tagged simply put "your it".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 07:59 PM   #29
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Happened again today. Put my RD on my X3 with the windshield mount. Full default mode. Everything on. Got Ka 34.712 in rear but all I had was a toyota sienna behind me about 6-8 car lengths. I tried slowing down to see if the signal got syronger if its the Sienna but no just the same strength or weaker. Didnt see any cop pass by. Kinda weird. Tried googling the specific band but it shows stalker radar bandwidth. Dont know what the hell it is but maybe someone stationary tv antenna or something? This road seems to trigger this Ka band everytime I drive by.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:13 PM   #30
TxFeatFan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
2024 G83 M4  [10.00]
I’ve been using the V1 for years but just recently gave it up. I was more successful avoiding getting tagged by just driving with my head up, like the old days.

—————————————————————————————————————
2024 Tanzanite Blue II M4 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:57 PM   #31
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
V1 Gen1 and Gen 2. They are very good at LiDar but.... For 99% of the time when La is illuminated it is just letting you know your speed has been recorded and the LEO is deciding if your worth the work to be given a citation. But V1 does give you a chance if your among other cars / trucks and it picks up scatter.

I've witnessed the effectiveness of V1. But if your alone on a highway, get tagged simply put "your it".
That’s why I said it’s circumstantial. In all my cases, there was someone ahead of me and one time the idiot cop was doing mirror shots our his driver side mirror, so that shot got picked up like big time. He might as well had a fire hose just spraying the highway. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:39 PM   #32
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep

Quote:
Happened again today. Put my RD on my X3 with the windshield mount. Full default mode. Everything on. Got Ka 34.712 in rear but all I had was a toyota sienna behind me about 6-8 car lengths. I tried slowing down to see if the signal got syronger if its the Sienna but no just the same strength or weaker. Didnt see any cop pass by. Kinda weird. Tried googling the specific band but it shows stalker radar bandwidth. Dont know what the hell it is but maybe someone stationary tv antenna or something? This road seems to trigger this Ka band everytime I drive by.
Gotta be a cop or some radar head somewhere in that area. I’d get Google Maps out and mark where it’s getting picked up and drops off and then see what’s around that area in a circular 2-3 miles pattern. Gotta be something.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2661.00
      05-09-2024, 04:45 AM   #33
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
So the stalker radar brand is likely what your google search referred you to.

https://stalkerradar.com/police-radar/

When looking at the US Frequency Allocation Spectrum Map, it shows that 34.712 ghz is in really crowded space radio signal wise. Since this seems to be happening in one spot it likely your reading some sort of satellite communications nearby.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...o_Spectrum.pdf
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2661.00
      05-09-2024, 09:47 AM   #34
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Thanks. More of the same. Passed by 2 Leo on the highway both parked with their headlights on and engine running (i think) and almost got nailed merging onto the highway trying to get over the person next to me and had to brake hard to slow down and another parked on the other side with the front end pointed towards my side but nothing. Thought maybe the rear radar will pick up once I passed him but nothing. On my way back, passed the same cop again hiding between the barricades with his headlights on and didnt pick up anything on my front before passing him or rear after I passed him. Came across another LEO later and still nothing. Tried to even take a video but couldnt get it with driving on one hand and not try to be too obvious. I seriously think they r using a frequency thats not being picked up by my unit. Its puzzling to me that my RD can pick up Ka bands from a mile away and other K bands and automutes them, so the detection is there. Maybe the frequency is out of its range. Might post this on vortex radar site and see what he recommends. Tempted to get a V1G2 and maybe run the same route and see if it picks up. As it seems that the LEO are now parked in this area more often due to the construction and double fines
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:08 AM   #35
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep

They can’t be too far out of range, otherwise the gun is out of spec and useless to write tickets with. They’ll be thrown out of court if the right person got tagged. They don’t just change or pick another frequency. Either there’s a setting on your app (if using one) or on the detector that’s causing these hits not to be detected or they’re using lidar or maybe not even shooting radar or doing I/O on just specific cars they’re visually seeing as going fast enough to try and tag.

I would try and restore factory default and don’t link an app to it and drive that same road and see what’s up.
Appreciate 2
Aalfred2661.00
M4ord821.50