05-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #4951
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
When your optometrist says it is time for cataract surgery.

Been struggling with the night time driving, headlight glare is just miserable and the long distance vision is blurry. The glasses just aren't cutting it anymore even with new prescription.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #4952
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post

Been struggling with the night time driving, headlight glare is just miserable and the long distance vision is blurry. The glasses just aren't cutting it anymore even with new prescription.
You will be happy to get this done. Had my first eye done around 15 years ago. You might not need glasses after both eyes are finished.
Appreciate 1
Llarry20306.00
      05-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #4953
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
You will be happy to get this done. Had my first eye done around 15 years ago. You might not need glasses after both eyes are finished.
Thanks, hoping for good results, although I don't know how I would act without glasses. I have ave worn glasses since my late twenties. Actually I'm not bothered much by wearing glasses.

Doctor indicated there are a couple of different procedures that can be done. Sounds like one is a hybrid lense that can correct the vision. Also heard it's a bit expensive and not always covered by insurance or in my case, Medicare.
Appreciate 1
Esteban51121.50
      05-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #4954
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, hoping for good results, although I don't know how I would act without glasses. I have ave worn glasses since my late twenties. Actually I'm not bothered much by wearing glasses.

Doctor indicated there are a couple of different procedures that can be done. Sounds like one is a hybrid lense that can correct the vision. Also heard it's a bit expensive and not always covered by insurance or in my case, Medicare.
Mine was through my wife's medical insurance and I had a small copay.

I've worn glasses since I was 15. Now my vision is 20/25 and I hardly wear glasses.

They have new lenses these days and I hear they work really well. The OP here, cmyx6go, had it done not too long ago. Maybe she'll chime in.

Hope it's covered by your insurance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS - wearing glasses doesn't really bother me either but I like hardly needing them these days.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #4955
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Mine was through my wife's medical insurance and I had a small copay.

I've worn glasses since I was 15. Now my vision is 20/25 and I hardly wear glasses.

They have new lenses these days and I hear they work really well. The OP here, cmyx6go, had it done not too long ago. Maybe she'll chime in.

Hope it's covered by your insurance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS - wearing glasses doesn't really bother me either but I like hardly needing them these days.
I had both eyes done last year. I have mixed feelings on the results. I too was blinded by the light. Headlight glare was a big issue. I also had issues during the day with bright lights. Another issue was the fog during the day. I felt like everything was a grey cloud. The edges of things were no longer clear.

I have worn contact lenses for 30+ years for distance. As I got older, my close up vision started to go so my prescription got complicated. As they adjusted the close up vision, the distance suffered. I could have opted for glasses instead of lenses but the shallow bitch in me preferred contacts. Eventually I also needed readers.

Anyway, I chose the surgery with the multifocal lens replacement. It cost me about $8K total for both eyes. Insurance only covered the surgery and the anesthesia. They did not cover the lenses. I can't find the breakout of what they actually paid. It must be home and not in my file here at work where it belongs.

Results -
The good - I no longer feel like I'm living in a grey world. There is more light getting into my eyes. The vision correction worked well. No more contacts and I only need readers if I'm reading something ridiculously small.

The bad - Although the glare has reduced, I now see halos around lights at night. If I am approaching a traffic light, I see the green but it now has a green circle around the light. Same thing with headlights. The doctor said it would wear off after my brain adjusted to the change when I went for my first follow up visit. It has not. I just had a visit last week. Doctor said I was the first person ever to have this issue. My luck I guess. It's not debilitating, just annoying. If I had to do it all over again knowing the results, I'd probably still do it.

I hope this helps. I will see if I can find how much insurance paid but obviously your plan will vary. I believe they pay for basic lenses but not the multifocal ones I chose.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 05-11-2022 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 4
rcracin1250.50
TSII1978.50
Esteban51121.50
      05-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #4956
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I hope this helps. I will see if I can find how much insurance paid but obviously your plan will vary. I believe they pay for basic lenses but not the multifocal ones I chose.
What about for dogs? I've noticed recently that Leah has a very white eye.

I need her to be able to see and bark if any neighbors come out while I'm ditching her poo in their cans.

She was a bit confused when I called her last night at the gas station. The covfefe was cold, and I didn't want the diesel truck to take it out on her that I had sat there for 10 minutes in front of the pump while she was checking out the greenery around the station.
cmyx6go16595.00
vreihen1619116.00
Dpc2u11486.00
      05-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #4957
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Do they still require you to use hand signals when taking a road test?
      05-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #4958
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, I only took one of those tests, when I first got my license.

Will I ever be required to take one again? Not that I want to.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #4959
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You know, I only took one of those tests, when I first got my license.

Will I ever be required to take one again? Not that I want to.
Just curious. I thought of it when I posted about using blinkers in another thread. Do kids even know what hand signals are? Or anyone on the road for that matter.
      05-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #4960
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious. I thought of it when I posted about using blinkers in another thread. Do kids even know what hand signals are? Or anyone on the road for that matter.
Good question. Maybe just the old farts with no blinkers. lol

TBH, I don't know if they teach that anymore.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619116.00
cmyx6go16595.00
      05-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #4961
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Found this on YouTube from 2017, so it sounds like they possibly DO test for hand signals. At least according to this video.

Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16595.00
      05-11-2022, 05:39 PM   #4962
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Hand signals are still in the NY State learner's permit book:

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter...-turns#mke-trn

I have no idea if they still test on them as part of the road test, but suspect that the only hand signal known by kids today involves their middle finger and words that for some reason cause flashbacks to what soap tastes like.....
Dpc2u11486.00
Esteban51121.50
      05-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #4963
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

People driving behind me while on two wheels certainly have no idea what hand signals are

Which leads me to using finger signals
3.0L9742.00
antgenn340.00
      05-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #4964
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i, 2024 GLC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
People driving behind me while on two wheels certainly have no idea what hand signals are

Which leads me to using finger signals

Horn broken, watch for finger.

Expert ultracrepidarian
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16595.00
vreihen1619116.00
      05-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #4965
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
I had both eyes done last year. I have mixed feelings on the results. I too was blinded by the light. Headlight glare was a big issue. I also had issues during the day with bright lights. Another issue was the fog during the day. I felt like everything was a grey cloud. The edges of things were no longer clear.

I have worn contact lenses for 30+ years for distance. As I got older, my close up vision started to go so my prescription got complicated. As they adjusted the close up vision, the distance suffered. I could have opted for glasses instead of lenses but the shallow bitch in me preferred contacts. Eventually I also needed readers.

Anyway, I chose the surgery with the multifocal lens replacement. It cost me about $8K total for both eyes. Insurance only covered the surgery and the anesthesia. They did not cover the lenses. I can't find the breakout of what they actually paid. It must be home and not in my file here at work where it belongs.

Results -
The good - I no longer feel like I'm living in a grey world. There is more light getting into my eyes. The vision correction worked well. No more contacts and I only need readers if I'm reading something ridiculously small.

The bad - Although the glare has reduced, I now see halos around lights at night. If I am approaching a traffic light, I see the green but it now has a green circle around the light. Same thing with headlights. The doctor said it would wear off after my brain adjusted to the change when I went for my first follow up visit. It has not. I just had a visit last week. [...]
Thanks for the responses, I get what you're saying about the grey world. Have really noticed that as of late. I am planning on having both eyes done. Just a bit nervous about the whole surgery thing, not so sure about the whole "your basically awake during the procedure". Been through other surgeries/procedures, but this one will have me weirded out.

Not sure about the multifocal lenses though. I haven't done much research or heard much in regards to that particular procedure. I do understand that the lenses are expensive and may not be covered by the insurance or in my case Medicare.

Not to concerned about continuing to wear glasses, pretty comfortable with them. Actually just got a new pair of John Lennon frames that I really like and still have a previous pair of JL frames that I do want to get transition lenses in both pairs.

Thanks again
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16595.00
Esteban51121.50
      05-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #4966
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Got this out of the California DMV Driver Handbook.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...ing-practices/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16595.00
      05-12-2022, 06:12 AM   #4967
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, I get what you're saying about the grey world. Have really noticed that as of late. I am planning on having both eyes done. Just a bit nervous about the whole surgery thing, not so sure about the whole "your basically awake during the procedure". Been through other surgeries/procedures, but this one will have me weirded out.

Not sure about the multifocal lenses though. I haven't done much research or heard much in regards to that particular procedure. I do understand that the lenses are expensive and may not be covered by the insurance or in my case Medicare.

Not to concerned about continuing to wear glasses, pretty comfortable with them. Actually just got a new pair of John Lennon frames that I really like and still have a previous pair of JL frames that I do want to get transition lenses in both pairs.

Thanks again
OK - First, the being awake thing is OK. Although they explain everything to you prior to the procedure, I have this talent for working myself into a tizzy when I don't know what to expect. So I was a bit anxious going in for the first eye. You don't feel a thing, they give you a mild sedative in addition to the numbing stuff. I can give you a blow by blow of what to expect if you'd like. It is weird when they do the procedure, you see this psychedelic light show. I came out of the first one with a major headache but I was fine after they did the second eye.

As far as the lenses go, the multifocals correct both distance and close sight in the same lens. There is another option that has the distance correction in one eye and the close in the other and then there is the option without vision correction.
      05-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #4968
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK - First, the being awake thing is OK. Although they explain everything to you prior to the procedure, I have this talent for working myself into a tizzy when I don't know what to expect. So I was a bit anxious going in for the first eye. You don't feel a thing, they give you a mild sedative in addition to the numbing stuff. I can give you a blow by blow of what to expect if you'd like. It is weird when they do the procedure, you see this psychedelic light show. I came out of the first one with a major headache but I was fine after they did the second eye.

As far as the lenses go, the multifocals correct both distance and close sight in the same lens. There is another option that has the distance correction in one eye and the close in the other and then there is the option without vision correction.
Yes, a sedative to calm you down, and everything is explained up front. And yeah, a light show like you took a hit of acid, lol. My doctor was very gentle and everything went very smooth.

I got the second option that you mentioned where you can see for distance in one eye and the other eye is for close up. The brain takes over depending on what you're looking at. It's not for everyone but it works for me.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16595.00
      05-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #4969
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

You know your old when you worry about diseases like cancer, crime, and your joints like ankles are more tender and fragile.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6748.00
Esteban51121.50
      05-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #4970
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
You know your old when you worry about diseases like cancer, crime, and your joints like ankles are more tender and fragile.
Ex smoker here and I worry about cancer. Been more than 20 years since I smoked cigarettes but people get lung cancer, and other kinds of cancer without ever smoking.

I heard someone say once that if people lived long enough we'd all get some kind of cancer. Doesn't always mean a death sentence these days but I still worry about it.

Probably just feeling guilty for smoking all those years. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:32 PM   #4971
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A pack or two would probably relieve that anxiety . . .
      05-20-2022, 03:40 PM   #4972
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
A pack or two would probably relieve that anxiety . . .
Funny you say that. These days the smell of cigarette smoke disgusts me.

I've had dreams where I smoked and woke up being so sad because I thought I still smoked and then came to my senses and realized I didn't and was very happy. And relieved.

Quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Literally took me years to quit. Would never go back to it.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00