Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
M2 button activated. More burbles.
That really sounds great MASHCT! Questions:

1. In the first video there are no burbles, is that ECO mode or is the valve controller closed?

2. Second video you say M2 activated...I assume it's in Sport or is that Sport+?

3. What diffuser is that? It covers the can nicely.

4. OK this one is stupid, so please everyone judge me (this is Bimmerpost after all, my feelings would be hurt if you didn't )....my avatar is a piece of poo so you all already know I have poor self-esteem and overcompensate with crappy humor (bah-da-boom)...but here goes: How much louder is it inside valves open vs closed?

I drive in Sport exclusively for the linear throttle response, don't care about the burbles, but I like a sportier note. One thing about this car is the H&K is WAY better than the F80 H&K ever was (with B&W coding that is) and I really appreciate my music. I want to be able to hear it....had the titanium BMW MP exhaust on my F80 and that thing was a bit drone-y and would drown out the music on days I wanted music...I suspect a "Jekyll and Hyde" exhaust might be better for me - quiet valves closed, but if I'm in a "speedy" kind of mood and taking my stress out on the accelerator pedal (we all have those days right?) I want to hear the car with valves open and noticeable exhaust note, for me...I don't care what others hear outside the car...how does this setup do that way?

I suspect for me I'd need this setup with a valve controller and perhaps just code off ASD inside the car to quiet the cabin a bit and trade for actual exhaust sound. The stock exhaust is SO quiet inside that I need the ASD on now just to know where I am rev-wise. Maybe I just need an axle back to start (or wonder if a midpipe would be better to start - open to suggestions), and add from there if needed. I just suspect that the midpipe makes it louder in the car than out.

Anyhow, this is just me musing, but man that sounds great. LOVE that you have no drone, that is so key. Loved the prior MPE, but the drone at certain RPMs could be a mood killer certain days.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 09-15-2024 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
BroDoze1517.00
      09-15-2024, 08:49 AM   #46
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 BSM

See my answers after each question. By the way, how many Katie Courics do you weigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
That really sounds great MASHCT! Questions:

1. In the first video there are no burbles, is that ECO mode or is the valve controller closed?

MASHCT: First video is all ECO mode. You can hear me opening/closing the valve controller. The louder one is the 100% open; the other is OEM setting. The SST also has a 100% close setting, just know you should not do any aggressive driving or the track with the 100% closed setting.

2. Second video you say M2 activated...I assume it's in Sport or is that Sport+?

MASHCT: Sport+. Fully engaged M2.

3. What diffuser is that? It covers the can nicely.

MASHCT: This is the Maxton Rear Valance V1. I bought it for 2 reasons: that it covers the muffler can & the angled openings to me look better than the straight openings of OEM & some other valances. I also have their V1 rear side splitters. Gloss black, not CF. CF doesn't appeal to me on a black car.

4. OK this one is stupid, so please everyone judge me (this is Bimmerpost after all, my feelings would be hurt if you didn't )....my avatar is a piece of poo so you all already know I have poor self-esteem and overcompensate with crappy humor (bah-da-boom)...but here goes: How much louder is it inside valves open vs closed?

MASHCT: You hear it but it is not obnoxious at all. I actually like that I hear the actual exhaust. But it is very much in the back ground. Roll the windows down & open the sunroof you WILL hear it, for sure. I also added a good amount of sound deadening in my doors, trunk & under the rear seat. That definitely helped reduce road noise quite a bit, so YMMV. There is absolutely NO DRONE with the Dinan/MAD set up & no rasp, either. It is a nice, deep exhaust note. Love it.

I drive in Sport exclusively for the linear throttle response, don't care about the burbles, but I like a sportier note. One thing about this car is the H&K is WAY better than the F80 H&K ever was (with B&W coding that is) and I really appreciate my music. I want to be able to hear it....had the titanium BMW MP exhaust on my F80 and that thing was a bit drone-y and would drown out the music on days I wanted music...I suspect a "Jekyll and Hyde" exhaust might be better for me - quiet valves closed, but if I'm in a "speedy" kind of mood and taking my stress out on the accelerator pedal (we all have those days right?) I want to hear the car with valves open and noticeable exhaust note, for me...I don't care what others hear outside the car...how does this setup do that way?

MASHCT: I significantly upgraded the sound system & added sound deadening. It plays much louder and cleaner than the HK. The HK just could not overcome road noise or driving with the windows down. I do not have any issues with the exhaust & listening to music. If I want to concentrate on listening to music, I just use the OEM setting or 100% closed. But even 100% open & M2 setting, the exhaust isn't crazy intrusive when cruising. Get on it & you will hear the exhaust.

I suspect for me I'd need this setup with a valve controller and perhaps just code off ASD inside the car to quiet the cabin a bit and trade for actual exhaust sound. The stock exhaust is SO quiet inside that I need the ASD on now just to know where I am rev-wise. Maybe I just need an axle back to start (or wonder if a midpipe would be better to start - open to suggestions), and add from there if needed. I just suspect that the midpipe makes it louder in the car than out.

MASHCT: I coded out the ASD. You can hear the exhaust when getting on it with this set up. The SST valve controller by itself will get you increased exhaust volume - 100% open is a lot louder than OEM.

Anyhow, this is just me musing, but man that sounds great. LOVE that you have no drone, that is so key. Loved the prior MPE, but the drone at certain RPMs could be a mood killer certain days.
I agree - the drone of the MPE on the F87 was brutal. I read BMW left it that way on purpose. Add that my F87 that had a sport cat downpipe, the drone was just too much. I wound up having a local exhaust shop (Pop's - same one that installed all of this) add a bottle resonator to my exhaust. That helped quite a bit, but didn't eliminate it completely. Still had drone for a shorter band of RPMs.
2024 M2 | BSM | 6SPD | Port-Installed M Perf HAS | MAD Axle-back Exhaust | MAD CAI with blue filters | Dinan Midpipe | Richland Forged RF-GT3R Wheels Brushed Competition Gold & machined face | AudioControl D-6.1200 Amp & DSP | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & Rear | Morel BMW-Specific Subwoofers | Lots of neat interior upgrades!
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1473.50
      09-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #47
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

I very rarely hear of drone with the G8x cars, no matter what midpipe/axle-back is used. Seems the droning starts when DPs get installed.
Mr. Hankey1473.50
      09-15-2024, 01:08 PM   #48
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
I very rarely hear of drone with the G8x cars, no matter what midpipe/axle-back is used. Seems the droning starts when DPs get installed.
If the brace is installed correctly and has enough clearance, getting a drone from this engine is very hard unless you go full straight pipe.

The only time I experienced drone was with the active autowerke Gen 1 equal length + catted downpipes + active autowerke axle back.

this is now fixed by getting the Gen 2 equal length instead with the extra resonator

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
BroDoze1517.00
Mr. Hankey1473.50
      09-17-2024, 09:45 AM   #49
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Thanks for being the guinea pig! I have the Dinan mid pipe on my G80 and it's awesome, but just missing *something*... was thinking about swapping to a single mid or adding the MAD rear section and this might be the move now. Thanks for posting! Sounds great!
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
MASHCT1154.00
      09-17-2024, 10:34 AM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I have the Dinan mid pipe on my G80 and it's awesome, but just missing *something*... was thinking about swapping to a single mid or adding the MAD rear section and this might be the move now. Thanks for posting! Sounds great!
Let us know how you move forward

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JTO245421.50
      09-17-2024, 11:54 AM   #51
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Let us know how you move forward
haha I know, I'm all over the place... either way, once it's time I'll be reaching out to you
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 02:18 PM   #52
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
JTO - trust me on this: that MAD exhaust is stellar. There is simply nothing bad to say about it. Hardest decision you'll make is which tips to get! 100% satisfied with my purchase and the SOUND! You simply don't want for anything with this exhaust - it's all there.

Be confident in your purchase if you go with MAD. No one paid me dime or discount to say any of this, either.
2024 M2 | BSM | 6SPD | Port-Installed M Perf HAS | MAD Axle-back Exhaust | MAD CAI with blue filters | Dinan Midpipe | Richland Forged RF-GT3R Wheels Brushed Competition Gold & machined face | AudioControl D-6.1200 Amp & DSP | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & Rear | Morel BMW-Specific Subwoofers | Lots of neat interior upgrades!
Appreciate 1
JTO245421.50
      09-17-2024, 03:33 PM   #53
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Wife ordered the Dinan mid-pipe & MAD exhaust with carbon tips for me. Would have preferred black but didn't like the color of the logo on them. At least the red logo on the carbon tips will match the red car.

I got the wife new intakes and a custom leather & carbon fiber steering wheel for her X3MC. If she didn't enjoy her cars as much as I do mine, I'd be in trouble, a lot
Appreciate 2
MASHCT1154.00
      09-17-2024, 06:34 PM   #54
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Wife ordered the Dinan mid-pipe & MAD exhaust with carbon tips for me. Would have preferred black but didn't like the color of the logo on them. At least the red logo on the carbon tips will match the red car.

I got the wife new intakes and a custom leather & carbon fiber steering wheel for her X3MC. If she didn't enjoy her cars as much as I do mine, I'd be in trouble, a lot

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #55
Southtown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Really enjoying the mad exhaust paired with my AA equal length midpipe. Would highly recommend mad’s products (have their intakes too).
Appreciate 2
MASHCT1154.00
JTO245421.50
      Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #56
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
Really enjoying the mad exhaust paired with my AA equal length midpipe. Would highly recommend mad’s products (have their intakes too).
I did their intakes, too - not the front mount tho. I like the induction sounds I'm getting. They're there, but not super loud/annoying.

Did you do the front mount? If yes, can you hear the induction sounds?

I really like MAD'S products. Excellent quality and designs.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #57
Southtown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
I did their intakes, too - not the front mount tho. I like the induction sounds I'm getting. They're there, but not super loud/annoying.

Did you do the front mount? If yes, can you hear the induction sounds?

I really like MAD'S products. Excellent quality and designs.
I have under the hood.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BradMX5319.50
MASHCT1154.00
      Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #58
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote: