home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-13-2024, 02:32 PM   #45
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Should have bought an M240i xDrive and tuned it if you wanted to street race.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #46
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Should have bought an M240i xDrive and tuned it if you wanted to street race.

Being I own both (G42 is RWD), would much rather tune/build the G87 (the x drive would have nothing to do with it...my trans is tuned so the very little I may lose from launcing from a dead stop will be overtaken in a short span...from a roll, xdrive is not going to make any difference). Available parts, for one, are in favor of the G87. Driveability is also in favor of the G87.

Last edited by M_Power Rob; 07-13-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
NewToM1429.00
Geighty72330.00
      07-13-2024, 07:15 PM   #47
techwhiz1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
You do realized the M2 is nearly the same size as a M4 and nearly identical weight. There’s nothing pint about it
Yes I know. Wheelbase is slightly shorter and just as heavy.

But it's 1300 pounds lighter than my M50.
      08-19-2024, 06:30 AM   #48
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG G87 M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg123 View Post
I’m a manual m2 and got killed by a tuned rs3. I’m thinking even if I was tuned he’d beat me. He shot off around 40 like a rocket. 😭 I’m wondering if I was tuned if I even have a chance. Maybe if I was auto. 😭
Ok so don’t be disheartened, your M2 is a weapon on mass distruction , the RS3 just chose to fight you on a battlefield where he had the upper hand. And that is a very small battlefield.
For context I have owned the previous gen 8v RS3 that had the same engine and power as the current one.

The RS3 with AWD DTC and impressive power to weight ratio will beat almost anything from 0-62mph (compounded further by him being tuned, you stock AND you being manual.

However from 40mph onwards you would start to pull back a stock RS3 (let’s compare stock to stock for a true measurement of performance) and by 62mph and over you would be pulling on him.

After owning an RS3 I can tell you that the Audi tech’s know their party trick / selling point here (amd so to did the guys you raced by the sound of it), and that is to launch hard. The RS3 is all about selling the 0-62mph.
But I noticed the car kind of runs out of steam after that.
The M2 on the other hand with it bigger displacement and twice the turbo’s will just go and go and go.

My advice to you, is know your car, (like the RS3 owner did has he raced you in an area he knew he was strongest and you were weakest, off the line) if someone wants to race don’t do it off the lights but via a roll race.

Trust me when I say that is all the RS3 can do extremely well, but who wants to be one of those kids that thinks they are a racer by going from 0- a massive 40mph in between traffic lights.
The M2 is faster from 40mph onwards.
The M2 can corner faster.
The M2 can break faster
The M2 can lap faster.

Let the baby have the bottle
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2024, 07:00 AM   #49
MisanoblueZ4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
Ok so don’t be disheartened, your M2 is a weapon on mass distruction , the RS3 just chose to fight you on a battlefield where he had the upper hand. And that is a very small battlefield.
For context I have owned the previous gen 8v RS3 that had the same engine and power as the current one.

The RS3 with AWD DTC and impressive power to weight ratio will beat almost anything from 0-62mph (compounded further by him being tuned, you stock AND you being manual.

However from 40mph onwards you would start to pull back a stock RS3 (let’s compare stock to stock for a true measurement of performance) and by 62mph and over you would be pulling on him.

After owning an RS3 I can tell you that the Audi tech’s know their party trick / selling point here (amd so to did the guys you raced by the sound of it), and that is to launch hard. The RS3 is all about selling the 0-62mph.
The M2 on the other hand with it bigger displacement and twice the turbo’s will just go and go and go.

My advice to you, is know your car, (like the RS3 owner did has he raced you in an area he knew he was strongest and you were weakest, off the line) if someone wants to race don’t do it off the lights but via a roll race.

Trust me when I say that is all the RS3 can do extremely well, but who wants to be one of those kids that thinks they are a racer by going from 0- a massive 40mph in between traffic lights.
The M2 can break faster
The M2 can lap faster.

Don’t matter by an inch or a mile. Winnings winning
Appreciate 2
Ronin761314.50
      08-19-2024, 08:16 AM   #50
robopp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post

The M2 can break faster
The M2 can lap faster.

I’m pretty sure three out of your four points are incorrect. The outlier being corner faster. Maybe lap faster too, but the new RS3 will take that crown too.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #51
Ronin76
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
That’s right Dom!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 09:44 AM   #52
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

I'm another that cross-shopped the RS3 before I ordered my M2. The DCT is a great transmission in the RS3 and if it had a manual the decision may have been more difficult. The RS3 sounds great, drives great, off the line it blows the doors off cars two weight classes above it (and sometimes on the track too for that matter). Ultimately I wanted the third pedal more than I wanted a 3.6 second 0-60 time.

I can still respect a good car and the RS3 is a good car. My feelings won't get hurt if I'm behind one.
Appreciate 5
      08-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #53
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
I'm another that cross-shopped the RS3 before I ordered my M2. The DCT is a great transmission in the RS3 and if it had a manual the decision may have been more difficult. The RS3 sounds great, drives great, off the line it blows the doors off cars two weight classes above it (and sometimes on the track too for that matter). Ultimately I wanted the third pedal more than I wanted a 3.6 second 0-60 time.

I can still respect a good car and the RS3 is a good car. My feelings won't get hurt if I'm behind one.
I've had a G87 auto that I traded for a '24 RS3. I prefer the RS3 in almost every measure personally.

I'm looking to get back into a G87 for the reason you mentioned which is the manual experience.

I wrote awhile back about comparing a G87 to Integra Type S and I'm back cross shopping them now again. I've been fickle with cars recently as I just don't get the engagement that I'm looking for from an auto (even a good DCT that's in the RS3) hence my requirement back to a manual.

I think those that are judging the new RS3 based on their 8V ownership need to drive the new car. I've driven the last gen and having owned the 8Y, it is more dynamic and certainty handles better. It can feel somewhat artificial the way the power transfers to the rear at times though. That said, it's an amazing DD, especially for someone in a large city like me. Complete package of a car that will hold it's value likely better than an M2 honestly.

I wish there was less focus on Nurburgring and lap times in general.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2024, 02:06 PM   #54
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2SG Throwaway View Post
I wrote awhile back about comparing a G87 to Integra Type S and I'm back cross shopping them now again. I've been fickle with cars recently as I just don't get the engagement that I'm looking for from an auto (even a good DCT that's in the RS3) hence my requirement back to a manual.
I've heard a lot of good about the Type S (and it's little brother the Type R), really good transmission, good interior for the price point. It's just that FWD thing and I know that's a personal hangup, but I want RWD or AWD in my fun cars. FWD for a daily wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I'd probably still lean towards AWD.

Have you considered an ND2 Miata? Really depends if you're looking for seat of your pants + manual or just enjoyable + manual experience, but if it's the latter the Miata will very much fulfill that. You could have an ultra fast DCT and a slower but absolutely fun manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 02:22 PM   #55
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
I've had a G87 auto that I traded for a '24 RS3. I prefer the RS3 in almost every measure personally.

I'm looking to get back into a G87 for the reason you mentioned which is the manual experience.

I wrote awhile back about comparing a G87 to Integra Type S and I'm back cross shopping them now again.
i was in a similar spot. i was either going to end up in a GR-C circuit, ITS/CTR, or G87 which i bought in november 23. i waited over a year for the GR-C to show up which i ended up not buying due to insanely shady sales tactics (And some outright lies) on the part of the dealer.

ITS/CTR vs G87 came down to two things for me: one, ADM on both honda models were absolutely nonsensical (around 10k each at the time), and two, which attributes in a road car do you value. all three cars are tremendously fun in the real world but they go about their business much differently as you would expect. in the end, paying G87 prices for a FWD hot hatch just wasn't going to work for me mentally. at 52k the ITS is a good deal; at 62k it is absolutely not. if you can get a dealer willing to play ball at MSRP for the ITS and you value what it provides as a performance car, i would probably go that direction, but when the prices are within 10% of eachother, the G87 is just much more car than the honda twins. ill be looking for one used down the road as prices continue to normalize.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #56
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
I've heard a lot of good about the Type S (and it's little brother the Type R), really good transmission, good interior for the price point. It's just that FWD thing and I know that's a personal hangup, but I want RWD or AWD in my fun cars. FWD for a daily wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I'd probably still lean towards AWD.

Have you considered an ND2 Miata? Really depends if you're looking for seat of your pants + manual or just enjoyable + manual experience, but if it's the latter the Miata will very much fulfill that. You could have an ultra fast DCT and a slower but absolutely fun manual.
I've test driven an ND2 and loved it. This will be my only car though and with my wife + eventually dog it won't work.

I'm not one to value cars going sideways/stepping out and I really like the inputs in the Type S so it's still in contention for me. It sounds a bit silly, but the interior "pleather" like materials is what's driving me away. The Napa leather in the RS3 is nicer than Vernasca in the M2 but they're both leagues above the Type S (as they should be for the price). I also wish the Integra was smaller. I have a small city garage and it would actually be a tight fit for me. The RS3 is the perfect size for what I need.

The hatch is great though in the Type S I will say and entry cost at MSRP + running costs is a factor.

I'd think about a Golf R if it had rev-matching. It's honestly a must for me for my type of commute (as anti-purist as that sounds).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 02:38 PM   #57
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
i was in a similar spot. i was either going to end up in a GR-C circuit, ITS/CTR, or G87 which i bought in november 23. i waited over a year for the GR-C to show up which i ended up not buying due to insanely shady sales tactics (And some outright lies) on the part of the dealer.

ITS/CTR vs G87 came down to two things for me: one, ADM on both honda models were absolutely nonsensical (around 10k each at the time), and two, which attributes in a road car do you value. all three cars are tremendously fun in the real world but they go about their business much differently as you would expect. in the end, paying G87 prices for a FWD hot hatch just wasn't going to work for me mentally. at 52k the ITS is a good deal; at 62k it is absolutely not. if you can get a dealer willing to play ball at MSRP for the ITS and you value what it provides as a performance car, i would probably go that direction, but when the prices are within 10% of eachother, the G87 is just much more car than the honda twins. ill be looking for one used down the road as prices continue to normalize.
Agreed on all the above points. It's a 50k car at its best.

It's hard mentally to get past the FWD 2.0 4cyl spec sheet of the car I will admit. I had a 2.0 Cayman T for awhile that I loved, but the thought was always in the back of my mind that I was driving a 2.0L 4cyl and I would be lying if it didn't dampen my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 03:00 PM   #58
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've test driven an ND2 and loved it. This will be my only car though and with my wife + eventually dog it won't work.
Hey I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money but if you've got M/RS money you can easily afford His & Hers Miata's. Just saying. Think about it (don't think about it, just do it)

Quote:
I'm not one to value cars going sideways/stepping out and I really like the inputs in the Type S so it's still in contention for me.
It's more the steering for me than actually kicking the backend out. I prefer the feeling of going into a corner and using the throttle to hold my turn versus the plowing effect you get with a fwd. If sliding everywhere was super important I probably would have opted for the F87 M2.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2024, 03:20 PM   #59
two_three_two
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I'm not one to value cars going sideways/stepping out and I really like the inputs in the Type S so it's still in contention for me. It sounds a bit silly, but the interior "pleather" like materials is what's driving me away. The Napa leather in the RS3 is nicer than Vernasca in the M2 but they're both leagues above the Type S (as they should be for the price). I also wish the Integra was smaller. I have a small city garage and it would actually be a tight fit for me. The RS3 is the perfect size for what I need.

The hatch is great though in the Type S I will say and entry cost at MSRP + running costs is a factor.

I'd think about a Golf R if it had rev-matching. It's honestly a must for me for my type of commute (as anti-purist as that sounds).
couple points here, and i appreciate that you are being thoughtful about this.

1) some folks have been perfectly fine sticking their dogs in their M2s. i haven't simply because i do not want my car to smell like dog. i have areas of my home that are dog-free for the same reason. this is personal preference and i have even seen people sticking large 70+ lb dogs in the back and they fit fine.

2) the width of all three of these cars would cause me concern in a full time city environment. they are all within an inch of eachother in this respect and street parking forces you right up against the curb to make sure you are totally clear of the roadway. the extra 7 inches in length vs rs3 and 6 inches vs M2 for the ITS would be of less concern to me.

3) goes without saying, but if you are in a buy and hold situation and costs are at all a concern- stay away from the M2 and likely doubly so the RS. S58 has proven pretty robust so far but running costs will not be cheap. if youve got a 3-5 year holding window, YOLO, but beyond that...

4) i say this as a current owner of a Mk4 and a person with a ton of seat time in a mk7.5- the mk8 golf R will absolutely underwhelm you vs the options you already have on the table. my old B8 S4 6 speed was twice as fun, half as expensive to buy, and still felt too sterile. plus you aren't escaping ze german tax
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 03:49 PM   #60
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
[QUOTE="two_three_two;31399821"]couple points here, and i appreciate that you are being thoughtful about this.

1) some folks have been perfectly fine sticking their dogs in their M2s. i haven't simply because i do not want my car to smell like dog. i have areas of my home that are dog-free for the same reason. this is personal preference and i have even seen people sticking large 70+ lb dogs in the back and they fit fine.

We have a 70 lbs Bernedoolde that goes with us most places. We just bought a waterproof cover for the back seat and it seems to work well. Haven’t noticed any dog smell in the car but that could be my shit sense of smell.
Appreciate 2
Ronin761314.50
      08-19-2024, 04:17 PM   #61
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
couple points here, and i appreciate that you are being thoughtful about this.

2) the width of all three of these cars would cause me concern in a full time city environment. they are all within an inch of eachother in this respect and street parking forces you right up against the curb to make sure you are totally clear of the roadway. the extra 7 inches in length vs rs3 and 6 inches vs M2 for the ITS would be of less concern to me.

3) goes without saying, but if you are in a buy and hold situation and costs are at all a concern- stay away from the M2 and likely doubly so the RS. S58 has proven pretty robust so far but running costs will not be cheap. if youve got a 3-5 year holding window, YOLO, but beyond that...

4) i say this as a current owner of a Mk4 and a person with a ton of seat time in a mk7.5- the mk8 golf R will absolutely underwhelm you vs the options you already have on the table. my old B8 S4 6 speed was twice as fun, half as expensive to buy, and still felt too sterile. plus you aren't escaping ze german tax
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I typically only drive the car 2-3 days a week from my garaged location in the city to/from work and family duties in the suburbs. It's literally never street parked so luckily I don't have to worry about that. I bus/train/walk in the city exclusively so I have flexibility there.

I'll have to get used to the dog smell as it's our only car and will need to perform dog duty. Luckily I only expect that maybe once a month or so and will get a cover for the back.

I did get a phone call today for a potential G80 allocation for Nov production date

Not sure it's worth 10k more than my equivalent g87 build though and for my purposes may not be worth it due to extra size.

I can happily afford the m2/m3 but the option of saving money especially in the short term is always a plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #62
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
Quote:

I typically only drive the car 2-3 days a week from my garaged location in the city to/from work and family duties in the suburbs. It's literally never street parked so luckily I don't have to worry about that. I bus/train/walk in the city exclusively so I have flexibility there.

I'll have to get used to the dog smell as it's our only car and will need to perform dog duty. Luckily I only expect that maybe once a month or so and will get a cover for the back.

I did get a phone call today for a potential G80 allocation for Nov production date

Not sure it's worth 10k more than my equivalent g87 build though and for my purposes may not be worth it due to extra size.

I can happily afford the m2/m3 but the option of saving money especially in the short term is always a plus.
For the dog I would suggest you just look on Amazon for a seat cover. Helps keep everything clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 04:31 PM   #63
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

We have a 90 lb Weimaraner who doesn't shed much at all but there is no way he will ever ride in my car. You guys are way more courageous than me! We're actually picking up a 2nd family SUV this week so we have another ride to put the dog in and then allow me to garage queen my M2 for the winters.
      08-19-2024, 05:46 PM   #64
two_three_two
Captain
Rep

Quote:

i hear you. my G80 build ended up being almost 20k more than my G87 and considering i had just written checks for a house DP and a wedding i was happy to pocket that for the time being. at the time i was a little concerned i would feel like i "cheaped out" but i can tell you with certainty that almost 10 months after delivery i do not feel that way.

M3 is another 3 inches longer than the ITS so worth measuring out your parking space (ya know, measure twice, buy once....)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 07:53 PM   #65
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2 6MT

I just traded my RS3 in for a manual G87 M2. I couldn’t beat my former car no matter how hard I tried in a hypothetical race, but I personally didn’t buy this car to beat RS3, I bought it because it’s the best most balanced driver’s car I’ve experienced in years. I’d own this over either gen RS3 10/10 times and I haven’t truly experienced my M yet since it’s still during break in period. I just know the driving dynamics of Audi having a half dozen of them and I am so tired of understeer lol.

Also the 2025 RS3 press photos just came out. The center of the steering wheel looks like it’s cheaper than a VW. I’m happy moving over to BMW haha
Appreciate 3
T-Rexx187.50
      08-19-2024, 07:56 PM   #66
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG G87 M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Hahaha thanks Dom.
However, a race from 0-30 ain’t a race