BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #45
The Seeker
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossa View Post
Been using the Hypervolt charger for just over a week, flawless so far if anyone's still after home charger recommendations.
3 weeks with a Hypervolt for me. Very happy so far, but I’m only using it’s basic functionality thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #46
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I have a Wallbox charger. I chose it due to good reviews, and because it is very compact. Also it is compatible with the intelligent Octopus tariff which is coming out soon. So far it hasn’t missed a beat. I plug it in, enable it in the app, and it just starts charging.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #47
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I have a Wallbox charger. I chose it due to good reviews, and because it is very compact. Also it is compatible with the intelligent Octopus tariff which is coming out soon. So far it hasn't missed a beat. I plug it in, enable it in the app, and it just starts charging.
Same here - just does what I need it to! Set a schedule, plug it in, wake up to a charged car.
No need to faff around with a million settings!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #48
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Been using the Hypervolt charger for just over a week, flawless so far if anyone's still after home charger recommendations.
That’s good to hear, mine is being fitted middle January. Keep posting up updates
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have a Wallbox charger. I chose it due to good reviews, and because it is very compact. Also it is compatible with the intelligent Octopus tariff which is coming out soon. So far it hasn’t missed a beat. I plug it in, enable it in the app, and it just starts charging.
Me mate brought 1 of these from his local trade electrical supplies, it was somewhere around 400+vat trade and he got a mate to fit it for £50. He loves it
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #50
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Me mate brought 1 of these from his local trade electrical supplies, it was somewhere around 400+vat trade and he got a mate to fit it for £50. He loves it
It only cost me slightly more than that to have it fitted by Wallbox’s appointed installer, after the Government grant. The grant is not available unless it is installed by recognised installers.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #51
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It only cost me slightly more than that to have it fitted by Wallbox’s appointed installer, after the Government grant. The grant is not available unless it is installed by recognised installers.
Yes correct, he wasn’t bothered as there was a bit of a wait to get it installed and as mentioned he got the unit trade so he would have been no better off
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #52
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Is it me or the installations of home chargers are very strange?
Every quotation is pay upfront then we will send someone to asses(up to 2 weeks now) if it can be fitted, no lead time for installation at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:32 AM   #53
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Every quotation is pay upfront then we will send someone to asses(up to 2 weeks now) if it can be fitted, no lead time for installation at all.
My assessment was done remotely - I sent photos and a sketch. Installation was a few weeks later.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      01-05-2022, 05:48 AM   #54
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My assessment was done remotely - I sent photos and a sketch. Installation was a few weeks later.
Same - sent in several pictures and a video of the cable run that I wanted. All was assessed and only when assessment was done did I have to pay anything
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      01-05-2022, 06:01 AM   #55
Spiderstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30d > iX3

Quote:
I agree with you. I was very hesitant to pay up front, but wasn’t much of a choice if I wanted to benefit from the grant. It was made worse by the warning that they are very busy and will prioritise customers from other car brand partners. In the end I bit the bullet and once my photos were reviewed I got a date that was about 6 weeks ahead, which included the Xmas period. We’ll have to see how it goes later this month.

In the meantime I’ve been using the granny cable and that’s been fine.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      01-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #56
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep

My assessment was done in person by the actual installer(independent electrician authorised to fit hypervolt). He then sent me the quote and I settle on completion of installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #57
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Mine is being installed next Tuesday (Ohme) and the company I used have been great so far. The process was really slick. I made my enquiry on New Years Eve and the survey was all done by the end of the day and the quote sent across.

The survey was all done online by me uploading various videos and photos etc. This was who I have used: https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

Once I'd accepted the quote and paid online they shipped the charger, which arrived the next working day.

I'll update once the installation has been completed, as it could all go horribly wrong yet!

Last edited by hollpe; 01-05-2022 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #58
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Mine is being installed next Tuesday (Ohme) and the company I used have been great so far. The process was really slick. I made my enquiry on New Years Eve and the survey was all done by the end of the day and the quote sent across.

The survey was all done online by me uploading various videos and photos etc. This was who I have used: https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

Once I'd accepted the quote and paid online they shipped the charger, which arrived the next working day.

I'll update once the installation has been completed, as it could all go horribly wrong yet!
I used the same company and had an EVSync installed. Had a really good experience from the initial order through to final installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #59
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Used smart home charge after having a right kerfuffle with pod point for nearly a month. Got a Sync-EV, and it works fine. Although seriously needs a firmware update to turn off the stupid pulse charging. So I use it in 'dumb mode' and use ev.energy to do the smart stuff. Works great with the iX3

Use code 715745 if you wanna try https://ev.energy
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:33 AM   #60
Cossa
Rep

Is it better for our batteries to generally leave the iX3 plugged in overnight at say ~80%? Several conflicting views following search, some manufacturers (eg Tesla) say it's best to leave plugged in, others say not to or wrongly assume plugged in = 100% charge state therefore no. What the best practice for looking after the battery longer term?

Last edited by Cossa; 01-06-2022 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:37 AM   #61
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is it better for our batteries to generally leave the iX3 plugged in overnight at say ~80%? Several conflicting views following search, some manufacturers (eg Tesla) say it's best to leave plugged in, others say not too or wrongly assume plugged in = 100% charge state therefore no. What the best practice for looking after the battery longer term?
I've heard differing points of view regarding whether you should charge to 80% or 100%. Some say that 80% will prolong battery life.

For me, 100% charge means I only need to charge once a week, unless going on a longer journey. 80% would mean a second charge during the week at some point. So I leave it on 100% for convenience.

As soon as it reaches its preset charge level, it stops drawing power. Hence, leaving it plugged in won't make any difference once it has finished charging.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #62
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

'Plugged in' is very different to actively charging, as both the car and (most) wall boxes can control the charge-enable and the charge rate.

I don't think there will be a definitive answer and it's very usage dependent. I get 5p/kWh between 00:30 and 04:30 every day, so thats exactly my charging schedule, controlled by the PodPoint wall unit (car set to charge immediately to full). I plug it in every night until it gets to 100%, then I won't plug it in again until it drops below ~50% (unless I have a special journey to make) so it spends most of it's time between 50% and 80% charged.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:36 AM   #63
Cossa
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Teslas, for example, use a little mains power when 'plugged in' to monitor the battery and any functions such as climate, seat heating, pre-conditioning, software sync etc are drawn from mains power rather than the battery. This process is also carried out when the battery has reached desired charge level (eg. 80%). Just trying to figure out if our ix3's do similar which would benefit the battery if generally kept plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #64
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post

Had the Ohme charger installed today as scheduled. The engineer was excellent, turned up on time and had everything up and running within about an hour!

Just need the car to arrive now!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #65
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Teslas, for example, use a little mains power when 'plugged in' to monitor the battery and any functions such as climate, seat heating, pre-conditioning, software sync etc are drawn from mains power rather than the battery. This process is also carried out when the battery has reached desired charge level (eg. 80%). Just trying to figure out if our ix3's do similar which would benefit the battery if generally kept plugged in?
Nah, they don't tend to do anything on the charger outside of charging hours
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:21 AM   #66
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Nah, they don't tend to do anything on the charger outside of charging hours
They do pull power from the charge point (if available) while preconditioning.
Appreciate 0