bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-27-2023, 12:28 AM   #45
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I personally find all late model BMW cold starts obnoxious (stock included). The M240i is no exception and the intial phase of cold start (first 15 seconds or so) is not a sound I consider pleasant. Swapped to the Dinan kit it's definitely louder just by virtue of being a deeper tone but if I had to put a percentage on it I would say its only 10% louder. Not a monumental difference in that specific scenario.
Apparently, it's from emissions compliance. Wastegate or something to heat up the catalytic converter faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:17 AM   #46
Ruebarb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Mine is coming in tomorrow and getting installed at 9am on Thursday.
Just a few more hours
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:18 AM   #47
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Just a few more hours
Haha, right? Heading out to the mechanic’s shop in 42 minutes (not that I’m counting…)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #48
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dinan axle-back installed. So a few notes: It's not possible to push the tips in further than shown on Dinan's site or in their promo video. The inner tips can be pushed in a little but the outside tips can't be pushed in due to the bend in the pipe. You can make them almost flush with each other or have them staggered the way that they did and since I liked that better, I went with that setup. I am including 2 photos from the initial installation when the shop tried to push them in a little per my request. I didn't like their look on the car after the walkaround so I had them set the tips up just like Dinan did. The photos on the car are my final current setup. I love the look!

Initial thoughts on the first start with the exhaust: When they started the car it yielded an insta-smile. Loud and angry #racecar. All of the employees were losing their minds over it as well. It sounds really good. Keep in mind that I also have the AA catted downpipe installed so my setup will sound angrier/louder than one without a downpipe.

Initial driving impressions: The sound is definitely louder than stock and I'd even say that it's a little boomy/drony around 1.5-2.5K rpms and then that goes away. In Eco-Pro, the sound is very unobtrusive (I was on a work call driving back home and it was a non-issue whatsoever). In sport+ or comfort (I have my valves coded to be open), it's very racy and aggressive. When hooning, it's exhilarating and it'll definitely turn heads. At WOT, it's very aggressively loud (once again, deeper from 1.5K - 2.5K rpms and then less bass-ey and just aggressive). I can still clearly hear my Dinan intake at all times (the whoosh and the whistling).

All in all, I am pleased with the exhaust and I definitely still have to do a lot more driving and testing. I am attaching a video of a warm start that I recorded when I got home.

You'll see that it's definitely more aggressive than stock but not offensive. The cold starts will have your neighbors take you off their Christmas gift list, for sure. I will record an in-depth video of cold start/driving/sound from the inside, etc in the coming week or so.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 15
      07-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #49
Ruebarb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
In sport+ or comfort (I have my valves coded to be open), it's very racy and aggressive.
Thank you for the info, can't wait to get this. Can you post a link where you got the info the coding on the valves specific to the driving mode, this is way better than pulling the fuse. Thanks
Appreciate 1
viperx100676.00
      07-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #50
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Dinan axle-back installed. So a few notes: It's not possible to push the tips in further than shown on Dinan's site or in their promo video. The inner tips can be pushed in a little but the outside tips can't be pushed in due to the bend in the pipe. You can make them almost flush with each other or have them staggered the way that they did and since I liked that better, I went with that setup. I am including 2 photos from the initial installation when the shop tried to push them in a little per my request. I didn't like their look on the car after the walkaround so I had them set the tips up just like Dinan did. The photos on the car are my final current setup. I love the look!

Initial thoughts on the first start with the exhaust: When they started the car it yielded an insta-smile. Loud and angry #racecar. All of the employees were losing their minds over it as well. It sounds really good. Keep in mind that I also have the AA catted downpipe installed so my setup will sound angrier/louder than one without a downpipe.

Initial driving impressions: The sound is definitely louder than stock and I'd even say that it's a little boomy/drony around 1.5-2.5K rpms and then that goes away. In Eco-Pro, the sound is very unobtrusive (I was on a work call driving back home and it was a non-issue whatsoever). In sport+ or comfort (I have my valves coded to be open), it's very racy and aggressive. When hooning, it's exhilarating and it'll definitely turn heads. At WOT, it's very aggressively loud (once again, deeper from 1.5K - 2.5K rpms and then less bass-ey and just aggressive). I can still clearly hear my Dinan intake at all times (the whoosh and the whistling).

All in all, I am pleased with the exhaust and I definitely still have to do a lot more driving and testing. I am attaching a video of a warm start that I recorded when I got home.

You'll see that it's definitely more aggressive than stock but not offensive. The cold starts will have your neighbors take you off their Christmas gift list, for sure. I will record an in-depth video of cold start/driving/sound from the inside, etc in the coming week or so.

Cheers.
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine installed. Would you mind sharing how many hours the shop billed to install this?
Appreciate 1
viperx100676.00
      07-28-2023, 05:53 PM   #51
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine installed. Would you mind sharing how many hours the shop billed to install this?
Thank you! Love the look and the aggressive sound. Just want to put it through its paces to make sure there’s not too much drone that mentioned for my taste. The shop charged 2 hours for the install.
Appreciate 2
Ruebarb407.50
G42M240135.50
      07-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #52
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Thank you for the info, can't wait to get this. Can you post a link where you got the info the coding on the valves specific to the driving mode, this is way better than pulling the fuse. Thanks
I am interested in this as well. I thought that ID8 was still locked down?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #53
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
I am interested in this as well. I thought that ID8 was still locked down?
looks like he has the '22 so bimmercode works on that. however, you can always try it out on the '23 as even though it is not officially supported, some options still work. I know for sure that the "stock" option is "iconic sounds" on the '23 and it will open the flaps when you are in sport mode and close them when in comfort, if that is what you were looking for. for the '22's, there is a bimmercode option for "sporty" which keeps the flaps open in all drive modes but there is also a stock option "depending on drive mode" that is the same as "iconic sounds"
Appreciate 4
Ruebarb407.50
viperx100676.00
nype163.50
XC3LLR82076.50
      07-28-2023, 11:19 PM   #54
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ryo got it right. I have the '22 with iD7 so Bimmercode has the option that he described called Sporty that keeps your valves open. I do find that even with Sporty coded and selected in options, Eco Pro was still quite a bit quieter, so it felt like the valves were closed in that mode.
Appreciate 2
Ruebarb407.50
nype163.50
      07-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #55
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here you go, you filthy animals. This is a vid of drive-bys and revs in Sport + (because let's be honest, that's what most of us want to hear). I"ll post another vid from the cabin of Sport + and Comfort mode driving later. Cheers.

Appreciate 8
ap2x21.00
P_Chris167.00
G42M240135.50
XC3LLR82076.50
Nate48153.00
ghostz34.00
      07-30-2023, 06:10 PM   #56
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I got mine installed today and wow, did it really wake this car up in terms of sound. I was not expecting it to be this loud.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 10:27 PM   #57
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
I got mine installed today and wow, did it really wake this car up in terms of sound. I was not expecting it to be this loud.
Yeah, I am actually considering removing the AA DP and installing the stock one back in to see if it'll take away the drone around 2K RPMs. Do you have a DP and do you have the drone around the same RPMs? Has anyone already installed the Dinan axle back without a DP? I am curious to hear your impressions. I know that the AA DP adds a decent amount of power but since I am not tuning my car at least until the warranty runs out, I don't really care about the added power as much as the sound. I only installed the AA DP for the deeper exhaust growl since I didn't like any of the exhaust options until this Dinan was released.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:56 PM   #58
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dinan_Engineering When you installed your new axle-back on the G42 M240i, did you notice any drone around 1.5K-2.5K rpms with the valves open? I am asking before I pay to remove the AA catted downpipe for the stock one to see if it goes away and with your confirmation, you could save me the time/money of doing so. Because if you tell me with conviction that there is no drone in that RPM range, it'll mean that the AA DP is what's causing it. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR163.50
      07-31-2023, 02:54 AM   #59
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Well, I can tell you that just having the AA downpipe with the stock exhaust will have some drone with the valve open on the highway. I’d imagine removing the AA downpipe will cut down on the drone, but you might still have it since with the Dinan exhaust, it’s pretty much a straight pipe with the valves open.
      07-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #60
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

The dealer got the exhaust in stock last week so my scheduled appointment for Aug 11 is a go.

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 05:30 PM   #61
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I removed the Active Autowerke catted DP this afternoon and installed the stock DP back in. The drone around 1.5-2.5K went down significantly making my desired daily livability where I wanted it to be. Dinan exhaust is still a lot deeper than stock (even more than stock exhaust with the AA DP) and brings out more of the inline 6 that was a little swallowed up by the AA DP + Dinan combination due to a louder sound when together. I love the exhaust on its own and I am not tuning my car until it is out of warranty and maybe not even then, so the catted DP's power gains weren't a big consideration of loss for me. In other news, my Active Autowerke catted DP is now listed in the marketplace for interested parties. Great DP for those going the tuning route as you all know. It is in gently used condition with roughly about 3K miles on it over a period of 4 months.

I will try to record a new video of just the Dinan axle-back exhaust with the Dinan Intake and a stock DP in the coming week or so and I'll post it.
Appreciate 6
nype163.50
Rdurty2838.00
Ruebarb407.50
XC3LLR82076.50
Coconut797.50
      08-01-2023, 10:15 AM   #62
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Wish I knew someone in my area with this car, the AA DP, and this exhaust just to hear in advance any possible drone. I hate drone and feel I may be more sensitive to it than most.

I will say I haven't noticed any drone with the stock exhaust and the AA DP, and I'm not willing to give up my AA DP in exchange for a little louder exhaust, so not really sure what to do at this point? I suppose for a long road trip eco-mode could be used if there's any annoying drone at cruising speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 10:40 AM   #63
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Wish I knew someone in my area with this car, the AA DP, and this exhaust just to hear in advance any possible drone. I hate drone and feel I may be more sensitive to it than most.

I will say I haven't noticed any drone with the stock exhaust and the AA DP, and I'm not willing to give up my AA DP in exchange for a little louder exhaust, so not really sure what to do at this point? I suppose for a long road trip eco-mode could be used if there's any annoying drone at cruising speed.
So I can tell you that I also didn't notice any drone with the AA DP and stock exhaust. But together with the Dinan axle-back, it was quite boomy in that 1.5-2.5K range. My best friend (also a car guy) and my fiance both agreed that it was too much for daily livability. Keep in mind that even in Eco mode, in that range the drone is still persistent just as much. Open/closed valves didn't see to help it. There is a guy on FB G42 forum that also talks about the same drone issue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4156...23198512729226

You could try Vortex Cones to reduce the interior drone but since they have to be welded to the exhaust, I didn't want to risk "surgery" in case that it would still be too much for my taste.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82076.50
      08-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #64
nannertime
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 m240i rwd

Quote:
So I can tell you that I also didn't notice any drone with the AA DP and stock exhaust. But together with the Dinan axle-back, it was quite boomy in that 1.5-2.5K range. My best friend (also a car guy) and my fiance both agreed that it was too much for daily livability. Keep in mind that even in Eco mode, in that range the drone is still persistent just as much. Open/closed valves didn't see to help it. There is a guy on FB G42 forum that also talks about the same drone issue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4156...23198512729226

You could try Vortex Cones to reduce the interior drone but since they have to be welded to the exhaust, I didn't want to risk "surgery" in case that it would still be too much for my taste.
appreciate all your feedback! i'll probably just stick with getting the exhaust too since i was worried about drone. the car did sound amazing in your previous video though
Appreciate 1
viperx100676.00
      08-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #65
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannertime View Post
appreciate all your feedback! i'll probably just stick with getting the exhaust too since i was worried about drone. the car did sound amazing in your previous video though
Happy to help out! Yeah, I hear you about the sound in the videos. When going all out, it sounded epic. If I was 19, I'd be all about it, haha. Then again, if I was 19, I wouldn't have this car. :P
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #66
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering When you installed your new axle-back on the G42 M240i, did you notice any drone around 1.5K-2.5K rpms with the valves open? I am asking before I pay to remove the AA catted downpipe for the stock one to see if it goes away and with your confirmation, you could save me the time/money of doing so. Because if you tell me with conviction that there is no drone in that RPM range, it'll mean that the AA DP is what's causing it. Thanks in advance.
Out on vacation this week so Apologies for the delayed response. Looks like you got it all figured out though with how you like it.

For anyone else though with the same question— with the stock DP in place in conjunction with the Dinan exhaust there was no drone to my ears. For those that may be extremely sensitive and sense something however you could shift to ECO and that would drop the active RPM range out of any problematic windows you may hear.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR163.50