BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

07-16-2024, 12:23 PM   #67
Rich1790
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Mostly mechanicals and my Garmin Epix Pro for working out and sleep tracking.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 01:51 PM   #68
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1790 View Post
Mostly mechanicals and my Garmin Epix Pro for working out and sleep tracking.
      07-21-2024, 11:31 PM   #69
Smooth_Operator
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i 6MT

Yes. Mostly a Casio G Shock DW5600E, sometimes an Apple Watch. I really want a spring drive Grand Seiko or an Omega Speedmaster, but I'm in law school and don't have the income for those quite yet.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #70
iX nOOky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ford Edge ST, RX350

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar that I got when it came out. I run ultramarathons and I'm data driven so I use the Garmin app every day. Plus it syncs to Final Surge which is a coaching app as I have a running coach.

I got it because it lasts up to 49 hours while GPS tracking, however it is getting on in years now and I'm thinking of getting a Fenix 7 Pro. I mainly only need it for one more long race, UTMB, then I'm going to quit running such long races. I hate a heavy metal watch on my wrist though, so I might just charge it during the race.

If I didn't like the fitness tracking aspect so much I would not wear a watch. It always seems to catch on things at work or when I'm doing random stuff at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 08:00 AM   #71
moooza
Rep
Drives: M2

Forerunners are great. I wear a 245 with a HRM strap when running and get so much useful data. Also great for notifications when it is inappropriate to take out your phone.

Otherwise a mechanical watch when dressing up, IWC, Seiko, or whatever mood I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 07:46 PM   #72
M4MYBMW
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue F30, M240i

Sure do, I love divers and mechanical watches, currently rocking an Omega Speedmaster.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 08:47 PM   #73
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Since someone bumped this...

I feel naked without a real watch, even though I'm sure we all have smartphones.

I'd love to get one of those fitbit watches for fun and gathering bio stats, mine broke. I used to have an automatic but apparently it needed periodic maintenance so that sucked as I thought it would be relatively hassle-free. I dunno how you guys do it w 30+ fancy watches.

Right now I'm just wearing a fashion-branded quartz watch that my wife got me back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 02:47 AM   #74
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4; 2008 118D

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
Just picked up a Swatch Mission to Neptune. Normally wear a Rado Diastar which I pick up in Kuwait as an "unwanted gift"
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 11:13 AM   #75
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Own ten watches and three are fake, right now wearing a large black Ferrari tachymeter and the metal strap is black also.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 12:41 PM   #76
ChrisWMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M340i

Most days a Submariner with random Speedy Pro days here and there.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #77
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I’ve owned a couple Apple Watches and currently own an Ultra2, it is great for gathering information and is stylish. My other watch is a new acquired TAG Aquaracer Chronograph.
      08-18-2024, 07:06 AM   #78
MM70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540iX w/M Sport

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
And if so, what type?

I stopped wearing a wrist watch when I retired, but now that I've looked at some of the new smart watches, I'm reconsidering. Basically, I'm interested in the type that track various health points such as heart rate, sleep, etc.

What seems to work for you? Thx.
I've owned most of the brands (Patek, Omega, Acheron, IWC, Zenith and Rolex)

I use to be an anti Rolex guy, but bought a Milgauss when they discontinued last year and added a Batgirl 7 months later. I will say that are both extremely accuarate and I love them both. I'm going to try and get a Daytona as my last piece. I'm not a collector, I just enjoy wearing them and they both have appreciated nicely.

PS -I disseminate watches from timepieces. My Rolex, Patek, Omega, etc are all WATCHES (mainsprings, hairsprings, pinion jewels, balance wheels etc) and will last many generations.

Apple, Casio and anyone else making a "smart product" are TIMEPIECES from my perspective. Just like your cell phone, they take a battery and tell time. My two cents FWIW
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 07:07 AM   #79
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i wear my royal oak AP to bed....

not a big fan of apple watches

typically don't have one on unless special occasion
Great watch!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 07:33 AM   #80
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM70 View Post

PS -I disseminate watches from timepieces.
Brands like Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet also make quartz watches.
Are they watches or timepieces?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 07:39 AM   #81
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i wear my royal oak AP to bed....

not a big fan of apple watches

typically don't have one on unless special occasion
Great watch!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 07:45 AM   #82
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Brands like Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet also make quartz watches.
Are they watches or timepieces?
They all MADE quartz watches back in the day when quartz was taking over the marketplace (70's-80's), but have all worked their way back to mostly mechanicals. There are exceptions for sure, but 98% of watches for sale that have real value and appreciate are mechanical.

The high end Swiss brands that make quartz are accommodating their client list. Remember, quartz crystal oscillates at 32,768 whether it's a Timex or Cartier. There's nothing to a quartz mvt, just a circuit, coil and stepping motor. $100 at most unless you have to buy an OEM from a mfg to fit their case.

quick internet search ....

Rolex produced their quartz watches, the Oysterquartz Datejust and the Oysterquartz Day-Date for about 25 years. Over this period, it is estimated that Rolex only produced 25,000 quartz watches, making them extremely rare to find.

Sometimes you have to separate out good marketing from what's really good!

Last edited by MM70; 08-18-2024 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 08:13 AM   #83
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
They all MADE quartz watches back in the day when quartz was taking over the marketplace (70's-80's), but have all worked their way back to mostly mechanicals. There are exceptions for sure, but 98% of watches for sale that have real value and appreciate are mechanical.
No, I ment that they actively still make quartz watches and quartz movements.

Quote:
Remember, quartz crystal oscillates at 32,768 whether it's a Timex or Cartier.
That's not true. There are also quartz movements with higher oscillating frequencies. Maybe you missed that.
There are also large differences in accuracy, with multiple techniques to increase accuracy (temperature compensation etc), but the level of accuracy is played in a different league, so it's not that apparant to most human perception. A good quartz movement needs to be regulated just as a mechanical movement needs to be.

Quote:
There's nothing to a quartz mvt, just a circuit, coil and stepping motor.
In this way you can also downplay a mechanical movement. Nothing to it, a winding spring, a balance and an escapement.
There are jewelled quartz movements, quartz movements with multiple stepper motors for multiple complications, and quartz movements with 1 stepper motor for multiple complications. And completely digital quartz watches.
There are quartz movements that align themselves with atomic clocks, there are quartz movements that align themselves with GPS data etc.
There are quartz movements that run on batteries, run on solar power, run on kinetic power. And as formentioned, run on different frequencies.
The variety in quartz movements is just as big, or maybe even bigger than the variety in mechanical movements.

Also in use, quartz watches have taken over use cases on which for example Panerai and Rolex have their heritage to thank for. Panerai and Rolex were very much tool watches. But for example now every pro diver, navy seal etc wears a Casio G-Shock, or a Timex Ironman, or an analog quartz watch if they prefer that style (with probably tritium lume). A watch like a mechanical dive watch is completely obsolete nowadays in that regard. No one takes their $15k submariner diving. It's worn as jewelry. So the function in itself is in that regard makebelieve.

A quartz movment will never be a mechanical movement, but also vice versa: a mechanical movement will never be a quartz movement (Ok, Seiko probably made the ultimate hybrid with their spring drive).
Downplaying one is just missing half the aspect of horology if you ask me. That is, if you're interested in horology at all of course.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-18-2024 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 09:18 AM   #84
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
No, I ment that they actively still make quartz watches and quartz movements.

That's not true. There are also quartz movements with higher oscillating frequencies. Maybe you missed that.
There are also large differences in accuracy, with multiple techniques to increase accuracy (temperature compensation etc), but the level of accuracy is played in a different league, so it's not that apparant to most human perception. A good quartz movement needs to be regulated just as a mechanical movement needs to be.

In this way you can also downplay a mechanical movement. Nothing to it, a winding spring, a balance and an escapement.
There are jewelled quartz movements, quartz movements with multiple stepper motors for multiple complications, and quartz movements with 1 stepper motor for multiple complications. And completely digital quartz watches.
There are quartz movements that align themselves with atomic clocks, there are quartz movements that align themselves with GPS data etc.
There are quartz movements that run on batteries, run on solar power, run on kinetic power. And as formentioned, run on different frequencies.
The variety in quartz movements is just as big, or maybe even bigger than the variety in mechanical movements.

Also in use, quartz watches have taken over use cases on which for example Panerai and Rolex have their heritage to thank for. Panerai and Rolex were very much tool watches. But for example now every pro diver, navy seal etc wears a Casio G-Shock, or a Timex Ironman, or an analog quartz watch if they prefer that style (with probably tritium lume). A watch like a mechanical dive watch is completely obsolete nowadays in that regard. No one takes their $15k submariner diving. It's worn as jewelry. So the function in itself is in that regard makebelieve.

A quartz movment will never be a mechanical movement, but also vice versa: a mechanical movement will never be a quartz movement (Ok, Seiko probably made the ultimate hybrid with their spring drive).
Downplaying one is just missing half the aspect of horology if you ask me. That is, if you're interested in horology at all of course.
I understand what you're saying and I knew Seiko had a qtrz mvt that was 990khz and change (accurate to a second or 2 a yr), but that doesn't change horology. Quartz for most of the better watchmakers was a blip on the screen, a 25 or so yr period where they followed a trend, BUT all quickly realized it was just a fad.

The proof is in the re-sale pudding. No real value to a 2-3K qtrz Tag after it's worn for a few yrs. That's not the same for Patek, AP, IWC, Rolex, and other top watchmakers product.

Last edited by MM70; 08-18-2024 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 12:08 PM   #85
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you're saying and I knew Seiko had a qtrz mvt that was 990khz and change (accurate to a second or 2 a yr), but that doesn't change horology.
Ah, so when proven wrong you suddenly knew it all along. I've never seen that happen on the internet
Clearly you don't know the meaning of the word 'horology', which is the study and art of timekeeping.
So oscillating frequency of a quartz watch is akin to the beatrate in mechanical watches (and seiko for sure isn't the only manufacturer that makes movements with higher oscillating frequencies than that 32khz), and is very much a horological parameter.

Quote:
Quartz for most of the better watchmakers was a blip on the screen, a 25 or so yr period where they followed a trend, BUT all quickly realized it was just a fad.
You mean swiss watchmakers.
If you consider smartwatches (these are in the end still quartz watches and have a market segment of about 20-25%), annually there are still more quartz watches sold than mechanical watches (roughly 70% vs 30%)

Quote:
The proof is in the re-sale pudding. No real value to a 2-3K qtrz Tag after it's worn for a few yrs. That's not the same for Patek, AP, IWC, Rolex, and other top watchmakers product.
Yes, everything you say is focussed on how expensive things are. If it's cheap it's not relevant. You're the ideal customer for a lot of swiss watch brands, they welcome your wallet with open arms. But money has nothing to do with horology.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 06:29 PM   #86
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Yes, everything you say is focussed on how expensive things are. If it's cheap it's not relevant. You're the ideal customer for a lot of swiss watch brands, they welcome your wallet with open arms. But money has nothing to do with horology.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm in the business for over 40 years. I speak from practical and business experience AND I said "I disseminate the two", not the industry. I've probably forgotten more about watches than you know. This is my wheelhouse and how I make my living. I've bought and sold thousands of fine Swiss mechanical watches. I sell qtz retail over the counter. No resale on those timepieces.

When was the last time you saw a high end qtz timepiece at Sotheby's or Christie's?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 08:24 PM   #87
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

If you're 40 years in the business, how come you didn't know that quartz movements come in different oscillating frequencies and that brands like PP etc still actively MAKE quartz watches and movements?
That's all a bit hard to believe.

Quote:
When was the last time you saw a high end qtz timepiece at Sotheby's or Christie's?
Yes, we know your opinion that if it isn't expensive, it isn't relevant...some call that watch snobism....
But OK....
$52k Patek:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_pat...date-2023-048d

$45k Patek:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_pat...with-date-1c12

$34k AP:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_aud...with-date-c108

$34k Cartier:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_car...-ref-3445-0403

For sale at sothebys....But I have no idea what this all has to do with this topic.

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-18-2024 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 05:32 AM   #88
MM70
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 540iX  [8.00]
Quote:
If you're 40 years in the business, how come you didn't know that quartz movements come in different oscillating frequencies and that brands like PP etc still actively MAKE quartz watches and movements?
That's all a bit hard to believe.

Yes, we know your opinion that if it isn't expensive, it isn't relevant...some call that watch snobism....
But OK....
$52k Patek:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_pat...date-2023-048d

$45k Patek:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_pat...with-date-1c12

$34k AP:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_aud...with-date-c108

$34k Cartier:
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/_car...-ref-3445-0403

For sale at sothebys....But I have no idea what this all has to do with this topic.

All ladies timepieces and for the mfg's that still make them, they are just addressing the needs of their client base. Husband has a Nautilus and he buys his wife the qtz version because she does like bulky watches - Most based on fashion and profits, not quality watch making...

Qtz mvts AREN'T expensive. Mass produced with technology

Under $100 EVEN for the jeweled versions

These are all facts, what I said in my very first post is MY opinion...

I disseminate watches from timepieces and define timepieces as something that takes a battery, just like your cell phone

My opinion!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0