09-11-2024, 12:37 PM   #67
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I don’t have the RE SSK. I am stock.
Apologies, I thought I read in a thread that you installed it.
Appreciate 1
Geighty72330.00
      09-11-2024, 12:43 PM   #68
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

At this point I can either take it up with corporate BMW NA or just believe my SA and baby it through 3rd to 4th.

Or just change my shifter and clutch, voiding warranty all together (not like it even matters apparently to check if anything’s even wrong besides a computer and a quiet suburb drive LOL).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #69
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
At this point I can either take it up with corporate BMW NA or just believe my SA and baby it through 3rd to 4th.

Or just change my shifter and clutch, voiding warranty all together (not like it even matters apparently to check if anything’s even wrong besides a computer and a quiet suburb drive LOL).
i dont like either of those options personally. do they maybe have a trade in 2023/4 coming in soon...? if they maintain nothing is wrong they should have no problem giving you a nice trade in value for yours right??
Appreciate 1
Geighty72330.00
      09-11-2024, 01:03 PM   #70
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
i dont like either of those options personally. do they maybe have a trade in 2023/4 coming in soon...? if they maintain nothing is wrong they should have no problem giving you a nice trade in value for yours right??
My plan was to get a Java green LCI2 in 2026 6MT before they EOL the platform. Maybe I just hang tight and hope for a decent trade in deal?
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2024, 01:06 PM   #71
two_three_two
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My plan was to get a Java green LCI2 in 2026 6MT before they EOL the platform. Maybe I just hang tight and hope for a decent trade in deal?
as long as you can deal with babyshifting into 4th for that long. i am on the same timeline, hoping to get an LCI2 or final year G80 in early FY27
Appreciate 1
Geighty72330.00
      09-11-2024, 01:07 PM   #72
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

I was thinking of trading my BGM ‘23 M2 6spd MT for a VB ‘26 M2 Auto with the silver wheels. Don’t really dig the manny in this car, but I think I’m spoiled by my other mannys. Might trade the ‘22 M240 as well but that car is a great commuter. Anyway, good luck with your current M2. Cheers!
Appreciate 2
Geighty72330.00
      09-11-2024, 01:11 PM   #73
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
I was thinking of trading my BGM ‘23 M2 6spd MT for a VB ‘26 M2 Auto with the silver wheels. Don’t really dig the manny in this car, but I think I’m spoiled by my other mannys. Might trade the ‘22 M240 as well but that car is a great commuter. Anyway, good luck with your current M2. Cheers!
I have to say I’m not as impressed as I first was in the manual after 9 months of ownership and coming over from many other manual platforms.

Engine is amazing, but I feel like the trans is playing catch up.

I’m not a fan of the ZF8 either as I feel it’s a bit delayed and slushy compared to F chassis.

If the old DCT was offered, that would be my pick with no hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 01:58 PM   #74
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I’ve learned that even with stock parts, BMW will fight every bit of the way to cover anything under warranty.

I couldn’t even get them to check my gear selector or drive shaft area where the carrier bushing was because they “didn’t feel anything” driving the car at normal speeds.

I told them, in order to replicate you need to be at the top of the power and in 3 and toss 4. They said that would be breaking street laws so we are now at a stand still.
Quote:

First, I hope you reversed the CDV delete before you do anything. If not you're just asking for it IMO. Next, talk to the service departments shop foreman, explain they are not replicating your issue to properly diagnose it and ask if there's any way they can test it. If they give you the runaround politely tell them that's unfortunate and you will be taking this up with BMW NA and filing a complaint on lack of service from the dealership. That said, I still wouldn't go to BMW NA just yet. Try another dealership, see if they are more helpful. If not, then take it up with BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #75
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
First, I hope you reversed the CDV delete before you do anything. If not you're just asking for it IMO. Next, talk to the service departments shop foreman, explain they are not replicating your issue to properly diagnose it and ask if there's any way they can test it. If they give you the runaround politely tell them that's unfortunate and you will be taking this up with BMW NA and filing a complaint on lack of service from the dealership. That said, I still wouldn't go to BMW NA just yet. Try another dealership, see if they are more helpful. If not, then take it up with BMW NA.
I’ll likely try another dealership. Good thing is, no errors or bad codes on the historic black box, and trans seems fine. I think at this point, I’ll likely take it up with BMW NA since they already logged my issue and the actual BMW technical Service engineer of the west coast was randomly at my dealership and drive my car. He determined it’s fine even after seeing my video.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 02:26 PM   #76
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have to say I’m not as impressed as I first was in the manual after 9 months of ownership and coming over from many other manual platforms.

Engine is amazing, but I feel like the trans is playing catch up.

I’m not a fan of the ZF8 either as I feel it’s a bit delayed and slushy compared to F chassis.

If the old DCT was offered, that would be my pick with no hesitation.
Of all the manual cars left, I think BMWs MTs are second to last, just ahead of VW IMO (after driving my friends new Golf R).

I almost went with an Integra Type S, but couldn’t do FWD and you get used to a certain power level. It was quick enough though, especially for just fun DD. But that shifter/gearbox was very very nice.

Have you thought about a manual CT4-V BW? I had a 10 auto one and it is a great car. Engine isn’t nearly as good as the S58 and interior is obviously lacking quality to the Germans (not that bad), but damn it was a good car!

Also agreed on the ZF8, had the DCT still been an option I would’ve went that way as well.
Appreciate 3
Geighty72330.00
Mr. Hankey1473.50
      09-11-2024, 03:36 PM   #77
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Have you thought about a manual CT4-V BW? I had a 10 auto one and it is a great car. Engine isn’t nearly as good as the S58 and interior is obviously lacking quality to the Germans (not that bad), but damn it was a good car!
The Tremec in the MT Blackwing almost makes up for the rest of its GM shortcomings. Obviously not enough in my case, but almost.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 04:20 PM   #78
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Sell it to carmax
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #79
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 6mt

I have a 6mt as well. I love this car and happy that I ordered it with a manual. However, the longer I own this car the more I realize that the s58 is much better suited with the zf8. I find that 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 redline shifts, there is a huge delay between shifts to the point where revs drop off too much. I have owned / drive manual for 25 years so it’s not my skills. My s2k that I have own for 18 yrs have the best gearbox right and I can heal toe rev match easily.

The g87 6mt is still better than any f8x manual box though.
Appreciate 3
DrJLag420832.00
BroDoze1508.00
      09-11-2024, 05:09 PM   #80
Geighty7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I’m looking to get into a Java green MY26 anyways if they LCI2 so I may just do nothing as of now.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 06:04 PM   #81
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
The Tremec in the MT Blackwing almost makes up for the rest of its GM shortcomings. Obviously not enough in my case, but almost.
I’ve had that plus a couple of ZL1s (one was a MT 1LE) and most recently a C8 Z06. I really enjoy GM sports/performance cars. They get a ton of stuff right, especially the mag ride and chassis tuning.The Germans would benefit from taking some pointers from them. And vice versa of course.

I miss how you could customize the gauge cluster and HUD compared to the current BMWs. Plus, they would start up with that saved gauge cluster regardless of drivetrain mode. It’s not that big of a deal, but annoying that I/we can’t have the sport display set all of the time in the M2. Other infotainment things I much prefer how GM does it over the current iDrives. When I had my F series cars it wasn’t close, iDrive was king and GM’s infotainment, especially the infamous CUE was crap. Plus more physical buttons etc. There is no perfect car, wish we could the best of all brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme View Post
I have a 6mt as well. I love this car and happy that I ordered it with a manual. However, the longer I own this car the more I realize that the s58 is much better suited with the zf8. I find that 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 redline shifts, there is a huge delay between shifts to the point where revs drop off too much. I have owned / drive manual for 25 years so it’s not my skills. My s2k that I have own for 18 yrs have the best gearbox right and I can heal toe rev match easily.

I don’t remember my F80 having this bad of rev hang, but the clutch, shifter etc are identical from what I can remember.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 06:44 PM   #82
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Quote:

This, except all it took were about 2 test drives in each (actually 1 in the 6MT) to tell the ZF8 is just geared so much better. Glad I made the choice I did.
      09-11-2024, 06:54 PM   #83
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
I’ve had that plus a couple of ZL1s (one was a MT 1LE) and most recently a C8 Z06. I really enjoy GM sports/performance cars. They get a ton of stuff right, especially the mag ride and chassis tuning.The Germans would benefit from taking some pointers from them. And vice versa of course.
Yeah my hangup with them is completely subjective and it's mostly based on the interiors. I've never felt they were really up to par with what you pay for the vehicle, but I'm also daily driving most cars I've owned so I'm not as quick to forgive the cabin in favor of the driving characteristics as I might be with a weekender....which I probably should be from time to time, I'm sure I've missed out on some great cars over it.

TL;DR the CT4-V BW was on my short list and you never know, there could still be one there again in the future.
Appreciate 1
minn1914511.00
      09-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #84
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 Toronto Red 6MT

Quote:

That is the software protecting the transmission.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2024, 08:08 PM   #85
two_three_two
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Of all the manual cars left, I think BMWs MTs are second to last, just ahead of VW IMO (after driving my friends new Golf R).

I almost went with an Integra Type S, but couldn’t do FWD and you get used to a certain power level. It was quick enough though, especially for just fun DD. But that shifter/gearbox was very very nice.

Also agreed on the ZF8, had the DCT still been an option I would’ve went that way as well.
1) totally agree, i have a ton of seat time in a manual mk7.5 R and its merely OK in my eyes. whole thing feels very sterile and not special. i had a B8 S4 6 speed that definitely was a better drive.

2) same and one day i still might. just couldnt stomach the ADMs 14 months ago.

3) i think many did the CT4 BW/RS3/M2 situation - i did not care for the powerplant and as the last gasp (allegedly) of ICE i wanted the motor to be the star of the show. also, theres a fellow here (and many threads) about how horrible the reliability and teething issues of that car have been. Ill tag the guy if i think of it
Appreciate 1
minn1914511.00
      09-11-2024, 08:10 PM   #86
two_three_two
Captain
Rep

sorry just thought of it Cgdigisco
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 08:44 PM   #87
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
sorry just thought of it Cgdigisco
I was on the Caddy forums and read a lot from both the 4 and 5 BWs. I was fortunate, I only had a couple of interior and trim things. Otherwise had it a year and almost 10k miles and no mechanical issues.

That’s funny, I checked out the RS3 to, looked cool inside and out, but for some reason wasn’t super interested in it. Would’ve went ITS over it.

Last edited by minn19; 09-11-2024 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 11:27 PM   #88
garageoverflow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra, Corvette Z06

I absolutely fell in love with the new colors (Twilight Purple and Java Green), but I would only buy a manual and I'm afraid it just won't do it for me.

A few reasonable mods, 700whp easily from the S58, and I don't feel like the manual would keep up or be enjoyable to slam some gears.

I love the rest of the package, but I'm getting worried now
Appreciate 0