BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-19-2024, 08:03 PM   #67
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG G87 M2 (on order)

I just can’t imagine how a 3 litre twin turbo could not be faster than a 2.5 litre single turbo.
There is only ONE THING that gives the RS3 the speed advantage and that is traction (a point muted by 3rd gear by the way.
So put some 305 Toyo R888’s on the rear and leave the RS3 behind. Case closed.

Also consider the S58 has forged internals

Mild tunes on the S58 get the power to 650+ horse power
While the Rs3 goes to 550 horses.

Traction is the ONLY area the M2 needs to close the gap on.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 08:17 PM   #68
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
I just can imagine how a 3 litre twin turbo could not be faster than a 2.5 litre single turbo.
There is only ONE THING that gives the RS3 the speed advantage and that is traction (a point muted by 3rd gear by the way.
So put some 305 Toyo R888’s on the rear and leave the RS3 behind. Case closed.

Also consider the S58 has forged internals

Mild tunes on the S58 get the power to 650+ horse power
While the Rs3 goes to 550 horses.

Traction is the ONLY area the M2 needs to close the gap on.
Idk I live in Vegas and there’s a shop here that’s on all the YouTube channels called IROZ and that dude’s built cars ranging from 600-1100 HP with some reliability for that level of build. But at the same time those specific cars with that kind of power can basically drag race and that’s it. And our cars platform is just better overall.

To be honest coming from an RS3 that flew under the radar I’m surprised how many people want to race my M2. Didn’t help I got Zandvoort Blue but I’m in my late 30s and don’t have an interest in racing these BRZs and such that keep trying lol. I’m a little worried one of them is gonna do something stupid and hit me though.
Appreciate 2
T-Rexx187.50
      08-19-2024, 08:31 PM   #69
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I didn’t buy the rs3 for 0-60 pulls, not sure why people are so fixated on that. For me, living in a snowy climate, the awd is a plus (although I had no issues with the g87 on winter tires) and the packaging of the car is preferable. To dismiss the rs3 as a one trick pony is silly imo. Not to mention, the 5 pot sounds infinitely better than the s58 although the s58 pulls more in the midrange.

These are both daily driver cars and have their pluses and minuses. I’m not sure why anyone would buy these as a weekender. With that in mind, I think the rs3 has some definite obvious benefits.

If you’re tracking the car frequently or have a very strong preference for oversteer then I would get the g87. For the vast majority of daily driving I don’t think the engine/drivetrain layout makes as much of a difference as many make out, at least not to me.

In general, compared as DDs, they trade blows. All that said, as I mentioned earlier, I’ll be returning to the g87 as I favor a manual. I’d be remiss to say I wouldn’t miss the rs3 though.
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx187.50
      08-19-2024, 08:38 PM   #70
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

The BMW is much more capable of a weekender than an RS3. The RS3 imo is still a really really fast Golf R. Love the 5 cyl sound but personally was ready for something that felt a bit more refined. The G87 in sport plus does ride infinitely better than an 8V RS3 in its comfort mode I can say that with 100% certainty
Appreciate 1
T-Rexx187.50
      08-19-2024, 09:15 PM   #71
OGM2SG Throwaway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchoi View Post
The BMW is much more capable of a weekender than an RS3. The RS3 imo is still a really really fast Golf R. Love the 5 cyl sound but personally was ready for something that felt a bit more refined. The G87 in sport plus does ride infinitely better than an 8V RS3 in its comfort mode I can say that with 100% certainty
Capable in terms of carrying speed, lap times, cornering? On most circuits they're neck and neck and I doubt they would be appreciably different in speed on a backroad.

Comfort in both from a suspension/damping perspective is on par with me on both cars but I have admittedly a bad feel for these things. I will say the pedal response on the m2 is far better/engine has less turbo lag. 8Y overall definitely rides better than the 8V though I will say.

I'm not telling people how to use their cars, but either is not exciting enough to be a weekend car. Even coming from my Cayman T with the 2.0L that ran circles around an M2 from a driving dynamics standpoint and inputs. Let's be honest.. both cars suffer from terrible steering feel, are overweight, and overly refined for a weekend car perspective.

These are hotted up daily driver platforms and there's nothing wrong with that. We can get into a larger discussion as to what constitutes "motorsports" as it relates to ///M but out of the box they're not really as track or sporting focused as some here would believe. That's not to say it isn't track capable, it just favors a road car setup. M2 does benefit from a more sophisticated CLAR platform vs MQB though.

Obviously it's a class or two above, but getting out of something like a 981 GT4 puts into perspective how relatively softly damped and "livable" the M2 is. Once again, that's not a bad thing, that's its intended focus. BMW knows most owners do not track these cars.

Last edited by OGM2SG Throwaway; 08-19-2024 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 4
robopp2023.00
T-Rexx187.50
Ronin761314.50
BimmerFix1718.50
      08-20-2024, 06:28 AM   #72
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2SG Throwaway View Post
Capable in terms of carrying speed, lap times, cornering? On most circuits they're neck and neck and I doubt they would be appreciably different in speed on a backroad.

Comfort in both from a suspension/damping perspective is on par with me on both cars but I have admittedly a bad feel for these things. I will say the pedal response on the m2 is far better/engine has less turbo lag. 8Y overall definitely rides better than the 8V though I will say.

I'm not telling people how to use their cars, but either is not exciting enough to be a weekend car. Even coming from my Cayman T with the 2.0L that ran circles around an M2 from a driving dynamics standpoint and inputs. Let's be honest.. both cars suffer from terrible steering feel, are overweight, and overly refined for a weekend car perspective.

These are hotted up daily driver platforms and there's nothing wrong with that. We can get into a larger discussion as to what constitutes "motorsports" as it relates to ///M but out of the box they're not really as track or sporting focused as some here would believe. That's not to say it isn't track capable, it just favors a road car setup. M2 does benefit from a more sophisticated CLAR platform vs MQB though.

Obviously it's a class or two above, but getting out of something like a 981 GT4 puts into perspective how relatively softly damped and "livable" the M2 is. Once again, that's not a bad thing, that's its intended focus. BMW knows most owners do not track these cars.
I’m coming from an 8V so compared to an 8Y I am basically coming from an interior that resembled a Jetta lol. I did test an 8Y and it’s a fantastic car, but I just never felt as connected to the drive as the M2 (that said you’re right about not feeling very connected to either especially steering)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 07:18 AM   #73
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '25 M2 on order, '12 Corvette

I had a 2018 RS3 that was FBO on stock turbo that ran mid 10s. Traded in for a 2021 M2C, which I loved for 3 years but missed the 5 pot in the RS3 so I traded it in for a 2024 RS3 earlier this year. Out of the box, the RS3 is very quick. Here is my last draggy

What I didn't like was the handling. It's a fast car, but it doesn't like going fast. What I mean is, in my M2C if I were doing say 85mph, it felt like I was standing still, whereas the RS3 would feel nervous and a bit unsettled. Steering was too light as well. Then there were times where the car would loose its mind, light up every light on the dash for 30 seconds or so, then 10 min later it would magically fix itself. Dealer could find no codes and therefore was "no problem found". Turns out, many people have these issues with no resolution. Other thing is, the 8Y still can't be tuned, so you're kind of stuck unless you want to spend $6k on a standalone ecm. So, I just sold the car with just over 4000 miles on it, and ordered another M2, which should be here late September. I think what most people miss is, they are a very different experience despite always being compared. I personally like the way BMW's feel and hope the G87 is as fun as my F87 was. I don't think I'll be going back to Audi, ever.

Last edited by captain slowly; 08-20-2024 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 07:35 AM   #74
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I had a 2018 RS3 that was FBO on stock turbo that ran mid 10s. Traded in for a 2021 M2C, which I loved for 3 years but missed the 5 pot in the RS3 so I traded it in for a 2024 RS3 earlier this year. Out of the box, the RS3 is very quick. Here is my last draggy

What I didn't like was the handling. It's a fast car, but it doesn't like going fast. What I mean is, in my M2C if I were doing say 85mph, it felt like I was standing still, whereas the RS3 would feel nervous and a bit unsettled. Steering was too light as well. Then there were times where the car would loose its mind, light up every light on the dash for 30 seconds or so, then 10 min later it would magically fix itself. Dealer could find no codes and therefore was "no problem found". Turns out, many people have these issues with no resolution. Other thing is, the 8Y still can't be tuned, so you're kind of stuck unless you want to spend $6k on a standalone ecm. So, I just sold the car with just over 4000 miles on it, and ordered another M2, which should be here late September. I think what most people miss is, they are a very different experience despite always being compared. I personally like the way BMW's feel and hope the G87 is as fun as my F87 was. I don't think I'll be going back to Audi, ever.

I was an Audi person as well. Had a stock 2019 S3 (wife's car) which was a great daily and a 2018 B9 S5 (first year of the "upside down" twon scroll motor. Bone stock, was great with no turbo lag whatsoever...then after stage 2 tune and a monster 560wtq with the awd system, I could dig a lot of unsuspecting cars of the line but only for about 500 feet. That stock turbo was great put all the power was early in the power band (so myntuner tuned accordingly as I didn't want to lost the low end torque). But. As you said, wasn't a great top speed car and they have done nothing to improve it since that B9 generation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 08:17 AM   #75
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '25 M2 on order, '12 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I was an Audi person as well. Had a stock 2019 S3 (wife's car) which was a great daily and a 2018 B9 S5 (first year of the "upside down" twon scroll motor. Bone stock, was great with no turbo lag whatsoever...then after stage 2 tune and a monster 560wtq with the awd system, I could dig a lot of unsuspecting cars of the line but only for about 500 feet. That stock turbo was great put all the power was early in the power band (so myntuner tuned accordingly as I didn't want to lost the low end torque). But. As you said, wasn't a great top speed car and they have done nothing to improve it since that B9 generation.
I really wouldn't consider my self an "Audi" person. I've had over a dozen bmws over the years, from e36m3 to f80 m3 comp and all the way back to a track prepped 1973 2002. I don't think I ever "got" Audi, but I do appreciate the 5 banger, but other than that, I don't like the car
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 09:47 AM   #76
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post

As I mentioned I had an 8V RS3. I also had a B9 S4, a Mk7 GTI, and Mk6 Golf R. None of them inspire the confidence I have taking a corner in this M2. It’s not even remotely close. I am going around turns at speeds that surprise me in this car after living with understeer for decades lol. I totally get everything you’re saying.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2024, 04:38 PM   #77
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
As I mentioned I had an 8V RS3. I also had a B9 S4, a Mk7 GTI, and Mk6 Golf R. None of them inspire the confidence I have taking a corner in this M2. It’s not even remotely close. I am going around turns at speeds that surprise me in this car after living with understeer for decades lol. I totally get everything you’re saying.
Exactly this. It's the front bias that has always pushed me away from Audis. G87 is super eager to bring the nose around, and I get a lot of enjoyment from that. Yes, the steering feedback is weak, but the responsiveness is not.

Also, I like modern iDrive better than any other brand's infotainment system. It's not the most important thing, but it's not nothing either.
Appreciate 2
aerobod4129.00
ajchoi118.00
      08-21-2024, 12:55 AM   #78
BgsDks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2025 SPY M2 ordered

If you really want to know how good you and your car are, take it to the track: I was faster than some more expensive cars and slower than some cheaper ones. The small dot behind me was an SL63 whose taillights I got to appreciate when I lapped him on the last lap of the session. Too bad I'll never be able to take the M2 here.
Attached Images

08-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #79
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Exactly this. It's the front bias that has always pushed me away from Audis. G87 is super eager to bring the nose around, and I get a lot of enjoyment from that. Yes, the steering feedback is weak, but the responsiveness is not.

Also, I like modern iDrive better than any other brand's infotainment system. It's not the most important thing, but it's not nothing either.
As somebody who works in tech, I’m impressed with iDrive over any other car software I’ve used. There’s definitely a bit of a learning curve at first but once you get things setup for how you like them, it’s pretty great.

I currently have my M1 button set to all sport / sport+ settings and the M2 is all comfort. I will probably swap M1 to do the sport mode entirely soon.

The one thing I’m still figuring out is the balance / EQ for sound. I’m finding it a bit lacking in detail vs the B&O System in my RS3 and I can’t tell if I just have it set weird or if that system was actually better.

Everything else vs the RS3 (except that amazing 5 cylinder wail) is just overall better. I was driving from where I live in Vegas to the CA state line yesterday and it was wicked windy. In the RS3 I would have just heard tons of wind noise the whole drive. I only realized it was windy in the M2 because my car was getting pushed laterally a bit lol. Couple weeks into ownership and I’m still impressed/happy/have 0 regrets trading the RS3 in.
Appreciate 2
aerobod4129.00
BradMX5319.50
      08-24-2024, 03:13 PM   #80
robopp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
As somebody who works in tech, I’m impressed with iDrive over any other car software I’ve used. There’s definitely a bit of a learning curve at first but once you get things setup for how you like them, it’s pretty great.

I currently have my M1 button set to all sport / sport+ settings and the M2 is all comfort. I will probably swap M1 to do the sport mode entirely soon.

The one thing I’m still figuring out is the balance / EQ for sound. I’m finding it a bit lacking in detail vs the B&O System in my RS3 and I can’t tell if I just have it set weird or if that system was actually better.

Everything else vs the RS3 (except that amazing 5 cylinder wail) is just overall better. I was driving from where I live in Vegas to the CA state line yesterday and it was wicked windy. In the RS3 I would have just heard tons of wind noise the whole drive. I only realized it was windy in the M2 because my car was getting pushed laterally a bit lol. Couple weeks into ownership and I’m still impressed/happy/have 0 regrets trading the RS3 in.
The leather in your M2 is better than the RS3? I’d take Audi’s UI over BMW anyday, all day too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 03:19 PM   #81
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
The leather in your M2 is better than the RS3? I’d take Audi’s UI over BMW anyday, all day too.
I had an 8V RS3 with the Nappa leather and I feel like the cognac leather in my M2 is much nicer. Seats overall adjust better and I don’t have as many manual adjustments vs the 8V.

The Digital cockpit UI for Audi is better than BMW’s dash cluster imo, but I personally think the rest of iDrive is more customizable. Though I saw the 8Y midcycle refresh has similar to the M buttons on the steering wheel now…combined with what sort of looks like they took the center part of the steering wheel from a 2004 Jetta lol.

That all said, I didn’t own an 8Y and their infotainment seemed 100x better than the 8V. I’m coming from a car that had a 6.5” non-touch screen that slowly comes out of the middle of the dash to a massive screen in the M2 haha

I will say, favorite car interior design feature is on the B9 Audi’s with the temperature display within the center of the hard knob to adjust the temp. These car companies need to stop taking away our physical controls. I’m going to crash a modern car (most VAG also went this direction now) trying to adjust the stupid temperature lol
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 03:26 PM   #82
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
I will say, favorite car interior design feature is on the B9 Audi’s with the temperature display within the center of the hard knob to adjust the temp. These car companies need to stop taking away our physical controls. I’m going to crash a modern car (most VAG also went this direction now) trying to adjust the stupid temperature lol
Thank god VAG seem to be walking back from the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel. Apparently it's unsafe, who could have possibly predicted that SMH.
Appreciate 1
ajchoi118.00
      08-24-2024, 03:28 PM   #83
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank god VAG seem to be walking back from the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel. Apparently it's unsafe, who could have possibly predicted that SMH.
I feel like there was enough real estate in the G87 where they didn’t have to do that same BS to us here too haha. I guess at least I’m starting to remember I can just yell at this car to do random things and it actually does them

Btw, I see you’re in Boston - I grew up in the Berkshires!
Appreciate 1
Squidget3687.00
      08-24-2024, 04:02 PM   #84
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Apparently they have ridiculously short memories, look at the new facelift RS3 wheel.
Appreciate 1
Squidget3687.00
      08-24-2024, 04:41 PM   #85
robopp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
I had an 8V RS3 with the Nappa leather and I feel like the cognac leather in my M2 is much nicer. Seats overall adjust better and I don’t have as many manual adjustments vs the 8V.

The Digital cockpit UI for Audi is better than BMW’s dash cluster imo, but I personally think the rest of iDrive is more customizable. Though I saw the 8Y midcycle refresh has similar to the M buttons on the steering wheel now…combined with what sort of looks like they took the center part of the steering wheel from a 2004 Jetta lol.

That all said, I didn’t own an 8Y and their infotainment seemed 100x better than the 8V. I’m coming from a car that had a 6.5” non-touch screen that slowly comes out of the middle of the dash to a massive screen in the M2 haha

M2 has Vernasca leather (unless you have the buckets) which is a major step down from Merino. Nappa and Merino leather are on par, IMO.
Appreciate 1
Ronin761314.50
      08-24-2024, 04:46 PM   #86
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
Apparently they have ridiculously short memories, look at the new facelift RS3 wheel.
Their new flat logo makes the middle of that wheel look soooooo cheap too
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 05:09 PM   #87
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
M2 has Vernasca leather (unless you have the buckets) which is a major step down from Merino. Nappa and Merino leather are on par, IMO.
Ah yeah you’re right. It’s probably that I got the 8V used so it didn’t have that same brand new feeling and smell at the time I got it. That said, that car has the NVH of a Jetta at highway speeds and comfort mode is a lie vs this M2’s comfort settings haha
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 07:03 AM   #88
RobM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I have both a B9.5 S4 and a G87 and I find BMW's iDrive significantly better than Audi's MMI. App too — more intuitive, easier to use, more attractive.

But the interior quality is nicer in the Audi. To be fair my S4 is a fully-loaded Prestige.

No comparison in power or handling, of course.
Appreciate 0