BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #89
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
But if you let go of the steering wheel, the car tracks straight and your steering wheel is cocked to the left?
Sounds like an easy fix to adjust front toe to straighten out the wheel.
Exactly! If I let go, the car goes straight and the steering wheel is cocked to the left. Thanks for the feedback!
      12-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #90
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
Exactly! If I let go, the car goes straight and the steering wheel is cocked to the left. Thanks for the feedback!
As the electric steering rack itself has a calibrated centre point and the suspension tracking has a centre point that is determined by the steering axis inclination and castor, it isn't a simple correction to level the steering wheel by adjusting the tie-rods asymmetrically.

I'm not sure what some of the dealers are doing to get this right (or mess it up, it seems), but they can't just do a mechanical alignment without also ensuring the EPS is taught the new centre point. I don't have access to the latest ISTA tools, but there is a specific function to do this in F-series BMWs, I'm assuming they need to do the same for G-series.
Appreciate 2
Baller156.00
Sebis188.00
      12-22-2023, 06:31 AM   #91
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Just to update what my dealer told me on my HAS-equipped car.

They said they put it on the rack for a full check. They said it was all within spec, I could not get the alignment sheet tho. I have an excellent dealer, and trust them quite a bit. They did not hesitate a micro-second to bend backwards to help me.

I did notice a small improvement on the drive home, which suggests that their touch-up work had an effect. but even before we started the work, I admitted that some cars will have issues with alignment that are part of the design. I think the M2 has a bit of that. Making a car feel great is often not what makes it grip the most. Large tires, short wheelbase and wide chassis, often make alignment a tough thing.

I noted with some irony that the 2 loaners (the BMW X-Ev, and a X1M) I had during this period had better on-center feel and better tracking than my M2, and they agreed. But neither pulls 1.05G in a skidpad either. One difference I noted, and which may be something that improves with miles. The on-center feel of the M steering rack feels like moving a spoon thru peanut butter. It is highly damped and does not have self-centering. You have no sense that the steering rack is loading up as it leaves center, nor a sense that it is locking back into center. I think it is why the car is somewhat fatiguing to drive on straight, crowned roads. Instead of feeling the car's rack making adjustments, you need to wait for the visual feedback of the actual change of direction to tell your hands to correct back the other way.

I booked an appt. with the M feedback team to discuss this. It is just a small thing, but it only helps to offer suggestions for their engineers.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #92
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRJohn View Post
Just to update what my dealer told me on my HAS-equipped car.

They said they put it on the rack for a full check. They said it was all within spec, I could not get the alignment sheet tho. I have an excellent dealer, and trust them quite a bit. They did not hesitate a micro-second to bend backwards to help me.

I did notice a small improvement on the drive home, which suggests that their touch-up work had an effect. but even before we started the work, I admitted that some cars will have issues with alignment that are part of the design. I think the M2 has a bit of that. Making a car feel great is often not what makes it grip the most. Large tires, short wheelbase and wide chassis, often make alignment a tough thing.

I noted with some irony that the 2 loaners (the BMW X-Ev, and a X1M) I had during this period had better on-center feel and better tracking than my M2, and they agreed. But neither pulls 1.05G in a skidpad either. One difference I noted, and which may be something that improves with miles. The on-center feel of the M steering rack feels like moving a spoon thru peanut butter. It is highly damped and does not have self-centering. You have no sense that the steering rack is loading up as it leaves center, nor a sense that it is locking back into center. I think it is why the car is somewhat fatiguing to drive on straight, crowned roads. Instead of feeling the car's rack making adjustments, you need to wait for the visual feedback of the actual change of direction to tell your hands to correct back the other way.

I booked an appt. with the M feedback [...]
When my port installed HAS car arrived without alignment paperwork I insisted on documentation which they provided AFTER doing an alignment.

I, like you, think highly of my dealer but would not accept only their assurance the alignment was on spec. YMMV
Appreciate 2
M2siast5997.50
LCDRJohn610.50
      12-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #93
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
I have an appointment on the 5th for an alignment. In general I have been very happy with my dealer and service department, but I am going to try to figure out how to get a consistent before and after measurement. Same road and speed.
Appreciate 1
miiipilot522.00
      12-28-2023, 11:22 AM   #94
M2Life
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Same here, picked up my G87 on Nov 28, steering wheel was off to left. Dealership performed free alignment. They said it was resolved, picked up the car yesterday and the steering wheel is still off to the left.
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-03-2024, 09:32 AM   #95
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
One difference I noted, and which may be something that improves with miles. The on-center feel of the M steering rack feels like moving a spoon thru peanut butter. It is highly damped and does not have self-centering. You have no sense that the steering rack is loading up as it leaves center, nor a sense that it is locking back into center. I think it is why the car is somewhat fatiguing to drive on straight, crowned roads. Instead of feeling the car's rack making adjustments, you need to wait for the visual feedback of the actual change of direction to tell your hands to correct back the other way.
other than the screens, you totally nailed what i think is the worst part of the car (but i could never properly articulate). i only noticed it after driving a hydraulic steering rack car for the first time since taking delivery of them M, there is positively zero sense that the steering rack is loading up. i find the front end actually gives you an OK sense of what is going on in terms of grip but no sense of the load. i wonder if a different wheel setup might help?
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-06-2024, 07:24 AM   #96
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
other than the screens, you totally nailed what i think is the worst part of the car (but i could never properly articulate). i only noticed it after driving a hydraulic steering rack car for the first time since taking delivery of them M, there is positively zero sense that the steering rack is loading up. i find the front end actually gives you an OK sense of what is going on in terms of grip but no sense of the load. i wonder if a different wheel setup might help?
A few things that do help in that regard:

First, if the tires are warm, they do pick up some on-center feel. I'm in the northeast and it is 30-40DegF here, so I have rarely seen warm tires. But when I do, the steering improves. I've found that the sport-steering option is also helpful if you don't mind the extra heft.

Second, going to a lower end of the recommended tire pressure ranges helps too. It's not much, but it is something.

I heard also that folks are programming their steering with the "CSL" program. I'll be looking into that for sure.

When I spoke with the BMW engineering folks, I mentioned that I loved my E92 steering. I don't think the guy really cared. He was so focused on the electronic gremlins, that he sorta just gave the nod on the other issues.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 05:11 AM   #97
Derko1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

I have the HAS port installed. I received an alignment sheet and my steering wheel was off center. When I went in for my break-in service. They said they would take care of it no problem. Got the car back with a new alignment sheet. All the info matched the same, but there was a slight change to the toe in the rear.

Steering wheel is straight now.
Appreciate 1
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-16-2024, 09:17 PM   #98
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Found this thread as my steering wheel is cocked to the left a smidge as well. Car does wander left just a hair when you take your hands off the wheel.
1,665 mi, standard suspension.

* anyone have an issue with the dealer & wheel spacers?

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-16-2024 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 07:46 AM   #99
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Found this thread as my steering wheel is cocked to the left a smidge as well. Car does wander left just a hair when you take your hands off the wheel.
1,665 mi, standard suspension.

* anyone have an issue with the dealer & wheel spacers?
Mine was unspaced but HAS port installed .
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 07:51 AM   #100
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post
I have the HAS port installed. I received an alignment sheet and my steering wheel was off center. When I went in for my break-in service. They said they would take care of it no problem. Got the car back with a new alignment sheet. All the info matched the same, but there was a slight change to the toe in the rear.

Steering wheel is straight now.

No such luck on mine, which dealer are you going to in NJ??
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 08:16 PM   #101
Derko1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
No such luck on mine, which dealer are you going to in NJ??
Park Ave BMW.

They are great. I had my winters shipped to them and went to put them on the day after I picked up the car. I noticed I was missing the brake clip on the rears and told them about that when I went in.

I got a call an hour later it was ready and that they didn't have the brake clip available, but it would be in by the time I got my break-in service. I asked about my summers and they are storing for me for free and I just go and swap out the winters when the spring comes. Then they keep my winters.

Went for break-in service, they said clips were in and I told em about the steering wheel being slightly off. They said they would take care of it, told them I needed the car back in 4 hours. I got called to pick it up in 3 and all set with everything. They are amazing.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3724.00
LCDRJohn610.50
      01-18-2024, 06:32 AM   #102
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post
Park Ave BMW.

They are great. I had my winters shipped to them and went to put them on the day after I picked up the car. I noticed I was missing the brake clip on the rears and told them about that when I went in.

I got a call an hour later it was ready and that they didn't have the brake clip available, but it would be in by the time I got my break-in service. I asked about my summers and they are storing for me for free and I just go and swap out the winters when the spring comes. Then they keep my winters.

Went for break-in service, they said clips were in and I told em about the steering wheel being slightly off. They said they would take care of it, told them I needed the car back in 4 hours. I got called to pick it up in 3 and all set with everything. They are amazing.
That's awesome!!

I'm over at Flemington BMW, and they are great, but they road test it on a side road by the shop. The nearest highway is like 30 min away, so I think that screws them up and they just look at the numbers instead of realizing the wheel is not on straight!

I grew up in Hudson County, so I know the area, just not sure if I want to drive the distance in this weather.

But...Being a bit OCD, it drives me nuts that the dang wheel is always a bit off! haha!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 12:14 PM   #103
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

I've got an appointment with BMW South Austin for Saturday morning to get this checked out. Anyone in the Austin area have experience with this dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:21 PM   #104
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep

Something pretty funny: I've been watching lots of online vids of the G87 and about half of them have the steering wheel pointing to the left. The poor schlep in this video is about 10 degrees off! If you watch the vid, the road is ball-on straight.

The AA exhaust sounds great tho.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      01-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #105
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Well, went for my 9:00 appointment at BMW South Austin, and
1. They first said alignment is only covered for 1,200 miles (I have 1,775). I said "my warranty booklet says 2,000".

2. "if that's the case, we will have to have someone diagnose it, then submit a claim to BMW and wait for approval. That could take several days. And we don't have anyone here to do diagnostics on Saturdays".

3. "We have an appointment Monday morning". Great, do you provide loaners? Yes, but our first loaner appointment is not until Feb 6th. What if I'm over 2,000 miles by Feb 6th even though I brought it in today? It won't be covered.

4. Ok I'll drop it off Monday morning. "we generally need at least 48 hours to diagnose something, but we'll try to get it done that day, I can't make any promises."

If I were at my primary residence with my other vehicles, dropping it off wouldn't be an issue, but if they need it for multiple days, it'll cost me more in Ubers than to just pay for an alignment. Guess we'll see what they say on Monday.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
miiipilot522.00
      01-20-2024, 11:21 AM   #106
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Well, went for my 9:00 appointment at BMW South Austin, and
1. They first said alignment is only covered for 1,200 miles (I have 1,775). I said "my warranty booklet says 2,000".

2. "if that's the case, we will have to have someone diagnose it, then submit a claim to BMW and wait for approval. That could take several days. And we don't have anyone here to do diagnostics on Saturdays".

3. "We have an appointment Monday morning". Great, do you provide loaners? Yes, but our first loaner appointment is not until Feb 6th. What if I'm over 2,000 miles by Feb 6th even though I brought it in today? It won't be covered.

4. Ok I'll drop it off Monday morning. "we generally need at least 48 hours to diagnose something, but we'll try to get it done that day, I can't make any promises."

If I were at my primary residence with my other vehicles, dropping it off wouldn't be an issue, but if they need it for multiple days, it'll cost me more in Ubers than to just pay for an alignment. Guess we'll see what they say on Monday.
Another scumhole dealer

I'm glad he at least acknowledged the warranty booklet 2000miles. The arrogance to make up stuff is offensive when you have literature stating the coverage

My dealer wouldn't admit that booklet existed
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      01-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #107
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

It appears you’re dealing with that dealership’s “Dis-Service Department”.
Best of luck……
Appreciate 3
M2siast5997.50
JABCAT2401.00
miiipilot522.00
      01-20-2024, 11:57 AM   #108
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Unbelievable guys… sorry you have to go through shit like this. I feel blessed our dealer here is so good. What scum bags many of these dealers are…
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 02:52 PM   #109
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
Another scumhole dealer

I'm glad he at least acknowledged the warranty booklet 2000miles. The arrogance to make up stuff is offensive when you have literature stating the coverage

My dealer wouldn't admit that booklet existed
He didn't admit it said 2,000 miles. He kept saying "if your documents says it's 2k", "if what your documents say is true...". And the SA that was helping me didn't even know, he asked the SA next to him who said 1,200 then was rude & said "we don't have diagnostic people on Saturdays".

One of the draws of BMW, that I always heard about, was the level of service. Unfortunately, I've had dealings with 5 different BMW dealers in my areas now, and only one has been positive. Unfortunately, that dealership, who performed my break-in service, is 220 miles away or else I would've just driven there this weekend.

Maybe it'll turn out positive & they fix the alignment on Monday when I take the car back.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 07:28 PM   #110
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
He didn't admit it said 2,000 miles. He kept saying "if your documents says it's 2k", "if what your documents say is true...". And the SA that was helping me didn't even know, he asked the SA next to him who said 1,200 then was rude & said "we don't have diagnostic people on Saturdays".

One of the draws of BMW, that I always heard about, was the level of service. Unfortunately, I've had dealings with 5 different BMW dealers in my areas now, and only one has been positive. Unfortunately, that dealership, who performed my break-in service, is 220 miles away or else I would've just driven there this weekend.

Maybe it'll turn out positive & they fix the alignment on Monday when I take the car back.
Sorry about that. But I feel your pain.

It's ridiculous that you (and BMW owners) have to "prove" warranty coverage.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50