BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-10-2024, 02:19 PM   #111
DrewDDS
Private
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
no, i was not salivating at that at all. people fucking their cars up brings me no joy whether self inflicted or not. im just making sure that the facts are straight here.

and in fact, it is productive- here lies yet another G87 radiator.

"My name is DrewDDS, king of new radiators. look on its works, ye arrogant, and despair! no new radiator remains. round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, The lone and level rocks stretch far away."

it can and will happen again and again so protect it.

Dude, do better to hide your hard-on.

I’m getting to the protector. Other things take priority. You’d think bmw would design a front end that would last more than 2 months. I’m glad you took the time to write me a ditty, but please further explain how you are contributing anything remotely productive.

“here lies yet another G87 radiator” It didn’t kill it, it’s not leaking. I just happened to notice… while deciding which ugly protector to use

Last edited by DrewDDS; 09-10-2024 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 02:38 PM   #112
DrewDDS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
With all that’s been written here (since mid 2023?) regarding this problem, design flaw or not, I’m puzzled why a new buyer wouldn’t invest approximately .005% of the average overall purchase price (I’m using $65K MSRP and $325 skid plate) to protect a possible disaster.

Someone ‘splain this to me.
I didn’t even open the g87 section prior to the incident, and before that the last time I even used this website was for my g80 over a year ago. If you really want to understand my mental process you can read the thread, I’ve already been through this. Frankly it’s BS that I have to slap some tacky afterthought onto the front end of my brand new 70k car to make it functional, and it should not be my responsibility. BMW should pay to fix this and change their design.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #113
two_three_two
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDDS View Post
Dude, do better to hide your hard-on.

I’m getting to the protector. Other things take priority. You’d think bmw would design a front end that would last more than 2 months. I’m glad you took the time to write me a ditty, but please further explain how you are contributing anything remotely productive.
if i got a hard on for other people's suffering, you'd feel it poking into your back at this point in the thread. you've served as fair warning to thoughtful G87 owners who find themselves too busy to take 5 mins on the autoID store to order the screens, and now that you've confirmed the facts, this has been very productive. hope you have a great week
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2024, 02:51 PM   #114
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
I didn’t even open the g87 section prior to the incident, and before that the last time I even used this website was for my g80 over a year ago. If you really want to understand my mental process you can read the thread, I’ve already been through this. Frankly it’s BS that I have to slap some tacky afterthought onto the front end of my brand new 70k car to make it functional, and it should not be my responsibility. BMW should pay to fix this and change their design.
I’ve followed this thread since its’ onset.

I’m sorry this happened to you.

I have no interest in your mental process.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2024, 04:00 PM   #115
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Frankly it’s BS that I have to slap some tacky afterthought onto the front end of my brand new 70k car to make it functional, and it should not be my responsibility.
Drew, sorry this happened to you, AGAIN. I 100% agree with you (I think we all do as in the same boat together)...this quote rings with me because its clear that the center section BMW put on these cars is a tacky afterthought they slapped on there...this thing was going to have the beaver teef and this front bumper cover was the "quick fix" before proffered to the masses.

I wasn't thrilled about it either but I don't see the mesh on the front of my car anymore. Just do it. I prefer the mesh behind the center posts so made my own, but your post is important for everyone that is going to get one of these cars. In the end BMW is about profit margin, and unfortunately that brings lack of protection up front, over the oil cooler, crappy brake pads, endless menus with no buttons inside...etc. but the lack of radiator protection is a real error.
      09-10-2024, 04:23 PM   #116
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
I wasn't thrilled about it either but I don't see the mesh on the front of my car anymore. Just do it. I prefer the mesh behind the center posts so made my own, but your post is important for everyone that is going to get one of these cars. In the end BMW is about profit margin, and unfortunately that brings lack of protection up front, over the oil cooler, crappy brake pads, endless menus with no buttons inside...etc. but the lack of radiator protection is a real error.
I actually like it in front better, I don't see the purpose of those two vertical bars for the MT and having it in front looks less like they just slapped two random design elements in there.

Ultimately they should have done this from the factory, there's no doubt about that. They could easily have put a very lightweight honeycomb (or whatever design looked best) similar to what the F87 has and it still would have looked aggressive and performed the same function.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      09-10-2024, 07:12 PM   #117
Ronin76
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Sheeesh…I ordered the screen protectors and I don’t even have an allocation yet.

Last edited by Ronin76; 09-10-2024 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-10-2024, 07:29 PM   #118
Ronin76
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Drew, sorry this happened to you, AGAIN. I 100% agree with you (I think we all do as in the same boat together)...this quote rings with me because its clear that the center section BMW put on these cars is a tacky afterthought they slapped on there...this thing was going to have the beaver teef and this front bumper cover was the "quick fix" before proffered to the masses.

I see this and I think of that YouTube video of that guy getting struck by lightening twice.

Appreciate 4
      09-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #119
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

The reality is BMW tested this design for thousands & thousands of miles before the vehicle was released. It's likely they found the incidence rate of damaged radiators & oil coolers to be low enough as to not warrant either a design change or more robust protection.

There are more than a couple options available so either buy & install one, or live with the risk. It appears certain individuals would rather continue to complain about what they perceive as a design flaw.

There are plenty of performance vehicles that have exposed radiators, maybe all the auto makers are colluding to make us pay for damaged radiators.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior.

'11 Callaway SC652 Carbon Edition Corvette Z06. Inferno Orange Metallic. 1 of 3.
Appreciate 3
DSTR1407.00
      09-10-2024, 09:22 PM   #120
DrewDDS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
The reality is BMW tested this design for thousands & thousands of miles before the vehicle was released. It's likely they found the incidence rate of damaged radiators & oil coolers to be low enough as to not warrant either a design change or more robust protection.

There are more than a couple options available so either buy & install one, or live with the risk. It appears certain individuals would rather continue to complain about what they perceive as a design flaw.

There are plenty of performance vehicles that have exposed radiators, maybe all the auto makers are colluding to make us pay for damaged radiators.
So JABCAT, are you saying that this is a rare occurrence and I was right to think I could make it two months without a protector? Or are you saying there is a design flaw and I should have bought it right away? I’m having a hard time following.

Colluding to make us pay for radiators? Genius! Exactly what I was thinking!

I’m not understanding the need for attacks here, of course they are not colluding. They are saving $0.30 per unit omitting protection and don’t care what it costs to the consumer because it legally won’t be their problem. BMW is screwing all of us here. We’re being sold a car that is not fit to be driven on public roads without modification.

You can argue that I’d rather complain, and maybe I would. It’s a terrible design and people need to talk about it. If you don’t like it, it’s fine. You’re complaining about my complaint. It’s a bit weird to defend a multibillion dollar corporation’s decision to screw you.
Appreciate 1
kev1293.50
      09-10-2024, 09:31 PM   #121
DrewDDS
Private
Rep

Quote:

Mr. Hankey, THANK YOU for a sensible response! Some here have me thinking I’m crazy for being upset about this. Stradale protector has been ordered.

Last edited by DrewDDS; 09-10-2024 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      09-11-2024, 06:40 AM   #122
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
I see this and I think of that YouTube video of that guy getting struck by lightening twice.

Wow, now that's a bad day
      09-11-2024, 07:04 AM   #123
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
So JABCAT, are you saying that this is a rare occurrence and I was right to think I could make it two months without a protector? Or are you saying there is a design flaw and I should have bought it right away? I’m having a hard time following.

Colluding to make us pay for radiators? Genius! Exactly what I was thinking!

I’m not understanding the need for attacks here, of course they are not colluding. They are saving $0.30 per unit omitting protection and don’t care what it costs to the consumer because it legally won’t be their problem. BMW is screwing all of us here. We’re being sold a car that is not fit to be driven on public roads without modification.

You can argue that I’d rather complain, and maybe I would. It’s a terrible design and people need to talk about it. If you don’t like it, it’s fine. You’re complaining about my complaint. It’s a bit weird to defend a multibillion dollar corporation’s decision to screw you.
Provide the stats of damaged radiators showing how you came to that bolded conclusion. It's a very rare occurrence, and it sucks that it happened to you. However, there are very inexpensive solutions to prevent this issue. There's inherent risk of damage to many components when driving on public roadways. The headlights are very expensive and exposed more than the radiators. Should I blame BMW for my shattered headlight that was hit by a piece of tire tread kicked up by another vehicle? Must be a design flaw. The headlight was almost $3k to replace, just like your radiator.

I guess all the performance cars with exposed radiators in the front are terrible designs, and all those manufacturers are screwing the owners.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 07:50 AM   #124
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Provide the stats of damaged radiators showing how you came to that bolded conclusion. It's a very rare occurrence, and it sucks that it happened to you. However, there are very inexpensive solutions to prevent this issue. There's inherent risk of damage to many components when driving on public roadways. The headlights are very expensive and exposed more than the radiators. Should I blame BMW for my shattered headlight that was hit by a piece of tire tread kicked up by another vehicle? Must be a design flaw. The headlight was almost $3k to replace, just like your radiator.

I guess all the performance cars with exposed radiators in the front are terrible designs, and all those manufacturers are screwing the owners.
Okay, let's back up here a sec and please know I'm not picking sides, only responding to your message because it's the most recent.

The headlights aren't a great example because if my headlights get smashed, I don't run the risk of losing my engine. So let's put that aside for now and explore who else does this. There are other vehicles with heavy cooling, the Porsche obviously comes to mind, but don't they all at least have a honeycomb or some sort of mesh?

I can't find an image (where the front is visible) where there isn't a mesh of some sort. Looks like the Lotus Emira has one, the Ferrari 488 has one, the BMW M3 gets one (coming back down to earth out of supercar land)...are there actually any other cars with massive front cooling that don't have a mesh of some sort? Or is the M2 the only one with a big ol gaping pebble catcher?

I know this conversation has been had before, probably ad nauseum, so I'm guessing the examples are out there. I'm mostly curious if they all have aftermarket support too or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 08:10 AM   #125
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallymarkedup View Post
Okay, let's back up here a sec and please know I'm not picking sides, only responding to your message because it's the most recent.

The headlights aren't a great example because if my headlights get smashed, I don't run the risk of losing my engine. So let's put that aside for now and explore who else does this. There are other vehicles with heavy cooling, the Porsche obviously comes to mind, but don't they all at least have a honeycomb or some sort of mesh?

I can't find an image (where the front is visible) where there isn't a mesh of some sort. Looks like the Lotus Emira has one, the Ferrari 488 has one, the BMW M3 gets one (coming back down to earth out of supercar land)...are there actually any other cars with massive front cooling that don't have a mesh of some sort? Or is the M2 the only one with a big ol gaping pebble catcher?

I know this conversation has been had before, probably ad nauseum, so I'm guessing the examples are out there. I'm mostly curious if they all have aftermarket support too or not.
MY 992.1 GTS needed Zunsport or other aftermarket screens. Any 992.1 911 with the sport front bumper (that isn’t a GT3 etc) needs them. Same with the 4.0/Spyder Cayman/Boxsters or again with a certain bumper package. C8 Vettes, even the Z06 needs them and on and on. The same things/complaints happend with the F8X cars, especially with the oil cooler. Then BMW made them all even more exposed with the G8X cars.

OP, I do feel for you, you have exceptionally bad luck and I do agree with you. Unfortunately BMW and almost all other manufacturers don’t care. They are looking to cut costs everywhere, even Porsche. Chevy takes it to another level, you can have a fully loaded Z06/Z07 and they still make you pay and order the screens if you want them on from the factory.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Like others it is the first “mod” I do along with the skid plate for the oil cooler on BMWs. If anything just to avoid the headache and getting stranded somewhere.

Last edited by minn19; 09-11-2024 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 4
      09-11-2024, 08:23 AM   #126
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
MY 992.1 GTS needed Zunsport or other aftermarket screens. Any 992.1 911 with the sport front bumper (that isn’t a GT3 etc) needs them. Same with the 4.0/Spyder Cayman/Boxsters or again with a certain bumper package. C8 Vettes, even the Z06 needs them and on and on. The same things/complaints happend with the F8X cars, especially with the oil cooler. Then BMW made them all even more exposed with the G8X cars.
Ah, figures I typed in "GT3" because that's where my head immediately goes. Even the F87 at least had the honeycomb up front, I really don't get why they had to leave it completely absent on the G87.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      09-11-2024, 08:29 AM   #127
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ah, figures I typed in "GT3" because that's where my head immediately goes. Even the F87 at least had the honeycomb up front, I really don't get why they had to leave it completely absent on the G87.
That pissed us off in the Porsche world, spend nearly 200k on GTS 911 and no screens, but get the GT cars get them. They are admitting they need them, but us lower class non GT owners don’t get them.

If you are bored, go on Zunsport or the Radiator Grille store and look at how many cars need them. It truly is across all brands. Again, doesn't make it right, consumers always get screwed.
Appreciate 3
      09-11-2024, 08:37 AM   #128
DrewDDS
Private
Rep

Quote:
You take a silly stance, and you make silly arguments to back it. You know that the stats don’t exist, all I can say is that it has happened to me twice in less than a year of ownership. It didn’t happen once over the past 4 years of driving the exact same route in my f87 or my f80.

Do other manufacturers protect the headlights with a grille? Did BMW once protect their headlights in the past with a grille, then remove that protection to cut costs? Clearly it’s generally accepted that headlights don’t need protection because they TRULY are a rare occurrence. But almost every car has radiator protection. Doesn’t this tell you something?

Quote:
Yes they are. There is absolutely no reason to cut the radiator protection other than to save money at the owner’s expense.

Last edited by DrewDDS; 09-11-2024 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 08:40 AM   #129
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

Quote:

Emira and 488 are both mid engine, do they have radiator in the front? I guess I never gotten a chance to look closely at those cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 08:49 AM   #130
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumachu View Post
Emira and 488 are both mid engine, do they have radiator in the front? I guess I never gotten a chance to look closely at those cars.
If not all, almost all of them auxiliary coolers up front, it’s not just about the radiator.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      09-11-2024, 09:54 AM   #131
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Chevy takes it to another level, you can have a fully loaded Z06/Z07 and they still make you pay and order the screens if you want them on from the factory.
AMG has done this as well. I applaud a maker for offering a factory solution. I could care less if I have to pay for it. Factory is good and implies warranty coverage as well.

991s here in Germany do suffer debris induced failures. No surprise at all. I have friends who work at Porsche and thats the first item on the list to correct as well. A colleague recently sold his 991-T and his advert noted that the front coolers were operating/minimal damage/wear and tear. They prefer Zunsport.

Its a simple problem to solve personally or in the design phase for the factory. At least there are solutions.
Appreciate 2
minn1914512.50
      09-11-2024, 10:18 AM   #132
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
You take a silly stance, and you make silly arguments to back it. You know that the stats don’t exist, all I can say is that it has happened to me twice in less than a year of ownership. It didn’t happen once over the past 4 years of driving the exact same route in my f87 or my f80.

Do other manufacturers protect the headlights with a grille? Did BMW once protect their headlights in the past with a grille, then remove that protection to cut costs? Clearly it’s generally accepted that headlights don’t need protection because they TRULY are a rare occurrence. But almost every car has radiator protection. Doesn’t this tell you something?

Yes they are. There is absolutely no reason to cut the radiator protection other than to save money at the owner’s expense.
Exactly, the silly example was because you made a silly comment that the car is undriveable on public roads without modifications & that the manufacturers are screwing us with this horrible design. I'm sorry you had bad luck twice (it appears only once caused an issue). My last BMW was hit by discarded tire treads 3x in 16 months. My M2 was just hit by one last weekend (thankfully no damage).

Just like I spent $2,600 for ppf on various panels of the car, I spent a couple hundred $ on protective screens for my M2 & my wife's X3MC. Maybe all manufacturers should encase the vehicles in bubble wrap & we won't have to worry.

Fwiw - as others have pointed out, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Corvette, etc. all have large radiator or cooling openings. None that I am aware of come with protective screens. Chevy licensed the aftermarket screens that owners were installing (after stating they reduced cooling & would void the warranty), and now sells them as a dealer-installed option for $900. Maybe BMW will follow suit considering all the money they're leaving on the table by not profiting from the aftermarket screen business.
Appreciate 2
DSTR1407.00