home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-20-2024, 09:37 PM   #1
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 22 CT5V Blackwing

Life around Myrtle Beach

It's been a year since I retired from the military (24yrs) and have been living and working in Socal. Thinking it's time for a change tho. Between the 100+ degree weather and increasing prices to live out here, I'm thinking it's time to kick rocks.

My father lives in Myrtle Beach and he loves it there. I've read the state has great veterans benefits and the cost of living there is far less than what it is here in Cali.

Anyone have some insights about living there?
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 1
eliphil2585.00
      07-21-2024, 05:48 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

There's plenty of online tools that'll give you cost of living comparisons and more.

Inventory availability and the fact that Myrtle Beach right now seems a hotspot for retirees looking to relocate will cost you a premium if you're looking to buy a home. But for most, moving from high valued property to SC, this isn't a problem. Taxes are lower there without even looking compared to CA. But most other things would probably be close, ie, energy, food, entertainment.

Again, lots of online tools to compare... Just search!

Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-21-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
One gotcha in South Carolina is that they are among the states that assess an annual real property tax on all motor vehicles...including golf carts and boat outboard motors.....
      07-21-2024, 08:23 AM   #4
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Not applicable to your case unfortunately, but one of the reasons I relocated to Oregon in 2003 was that they exempted military retirement pay for service before something like 1991 from state income tax -- and I think Oregon has relatively high income tax. My retirement pay is something like 82% exempt from state income tax. My Dad was retired military and was 100% exempt. Unfortunately, that loophole was closed years ago but I'm grandfathered.

You might investigate whether any state exempts military retired pay from tax in your search for a new location.
      07-21-2024, 08:35 AM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Climate is wetter and more humid, and subject to infrequent hurricanes, in SC.

Energy should be significantly less. Electricity is lower than California, gasoline is lower than California, and I’d bet nat gas is lower too. Depending on where in SoCal you are, you are likely to use more cooling in SC but about the same heat. As a retiree, gasoline will matter a lot less.

I’d bet food is a bit less but Calif has a lot of growing areas so could be wrong on that one.

There are a lot of tax differences, but Calif is high in almost every category. When you look at vehicles, consider the SC tax but also consider the CA registration fees to be apples-to-apples on all-in cost. The SC tax is federally deductible (up to the SALT limit), so that might tip the scale a bit. Some states tax retirement benefits and/or Social Security, others do not. So worth looking at that.

Perhaps the biggest long-term difference, as long as real estate inflation persists, is the California limitation on property tax increases (Prop 13 for those of us who remember). Assuming it remains intact, that keeps your prop taxes from going up if you own a home there. SC and most other states have looser, or no limitation. So a re-assessment can significantly increase your prop taxes. But again there are often exemptions for age etc, so worth looking specifically at the local situation.

Like CA, Myrtle Beach is of course at the ocean but also close to mountains, and other terrain/climates.

Edit: And thanks for your service!
Appreciate 1
dizz81486.50
      07-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
dizz81
Moving on
Rep

Military retirement pay is exempt from taxes in SC, that also includes disability pay. I know cost of living is far less, gas is almost half what it is here in Cali lol.

Weather wise, I didn't think I'd miss a decent rain shower as much as I do but living out here in this dessert climate makes you realize how nice it is to go stand out in the rain sometimes lol.

I've been researching on and off here the last month and will continue to do so until the end of this year when I'll make a decision.

Thanks for the insights!
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619086.50
2000cs3755.50
Llarry20252.50
      07-21-2024, 09:48 AM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My DW and I bought a 5-acre wooded tree farm on a motorboat lake in the SC midlands as our retirement destination. Neither of us are beach people, and I personally would not want to live near the shore and SC low country because of flooding.

We flew out of and into Myrtle Beach (in that order) when we closed on the tree farm a few years ago. The drive is pretty desolate once you're away from the shore. We did spend a few hours at their major shopping mall near the airport, and it was pretty busy.

There are a few regulars here who live in that area, and I'm sure they will chime in over the next few days.....
      07-21-2024, 05:16 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

If you want a slower pace - go. I think that’s a good area to start out and go visit areas around Charleston. North Florida, NC, and even parts of GA if you want to own a chunk of land on a river. Many more possibilities at prices that make sense. My father in law lives in Nevada City, that area might be worth a look as well if you don’t want to change coasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-21-2024, 05:47 PM   #9
eliphil
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550I

I’m still a ways from retirement but I am nervous about living by the ocean. My wife wants to badly but not me. I want clean air , good food, safety and limited population. Like many other I want to see where my kids settle as well. Ty for your service hope all goes well.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-21-2024, 06:53 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
If you want a slower pace - go.
That actually is a selling point, as well as a frustration. If you're coming from a part of the country where things are fast-paced, the southeast can be frustrating.

Cashiers are slow, and will talk with their customers about family stuff no matter how many other people are standing in line.

Friday afternoons are not good for doing business, because many government and other offices close at noon for the weekend.

People talk and move slower, and don't seem to be in a hurry to get anywhere (like out of your way).

As the northern transplants say, the south shall rise again...in its own sweet time.....
dizz81486.50
      07-21-2024, 09:09 PM   #11
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
That actually is a selling point, as well as a frustration. If you're coming from a part of the country where things are fast-paced, the southeast can be frustrating.

Cashiers are slow, and will talk with their customers about family stuff no matter how many other people are standing in line.

Friday afternoons are not good for doing business, because many government and other offices close at noon for the weekend.

People talk and move slower, and don't seem to be in a hurry to get anywhere (like out of your way).

As the northern transplants say, the south shall rise again...in its own sweet time.....
Bless Your Heart!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      07-21-2024, 11:37 PM   #12
Smooth_Operator
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i 6MT

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of the Myrtle Beach area. I've been visiting family there for over 20 years, and I never really clicked with the place. This isn't some anti-south thing; I was born and raised in North Carolina, and I love it here. I just see Myrtle Beach as Miami but smaller, and worse. If you want something near Myrtle Beach but more laid back/less trashy check out Little River. It's a little bit north of Myrtle. Charleston it really nice, too.

Also, laser jammers are illegal in South Carolina. Very strange, especially considering that they're legal in North Carolina. Not normally how that dichotomy goes.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619086.50
      07-22-2024, 06:27 AM   #13
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, F56

North MB is tolerable but MB trash.
      07-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I knew a girl from MB when I first moved to Socal in 98, she had the most annoying southern accent

Sure some places are slower as described, but I think the point is more of a community feeling than wasting someone’s precious time.

I had a tough time with driving when I first moved back to FL from San Diego, but you learn the system.

OP, you can also travel to many islands outside the US from the southeast in just a few hours. I know a handful of Euro transplants who have found a wonderful way of life in St Marten and Antigua. Yes they get storms, but it’s paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
dizz81486.50
vreihen1619086.50
      07-22-2024, 11:17 AM   #15
dizz81
Moving on
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
North MB is tolerable but MB trash.
I've been looking at this area as well as it's roughly 30 min away from where my dad lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_Operator View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of the Myrtle Beach area. I've been visiting family there for over 20 years, and I never really clicked with the place. This isn't some anti-south thing; I was born and raised in North Carolina, and I love it here. I just see Myrtle Beach as Miami but smaller, and worse. If you want something near Myrtle Beach but more laid back/less trashy check out Little River. It's a little bit north of Myrtle. Charleston it really nice, too.

Also, laser jammers are illegal in South Carolina. Very strange, especially considering that they're legal in North Carolina. Not normally how that dichotomy goes.
I've looked at a few places in Little River. Definitely considering any area within 30 min of where my dad lives.
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 0