BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-20-2024, 07:00 PM   #1
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Tire Repair Kit

I've looked at the factory tire repair kit. Internal sealant goop with a 12 volt inflator.

Anyone used this yet in a real situation? I'm considering replacing it with a plug repair kit and battery powered inflator.

It seems like I could get down the road (slowly) in a few more situations with plugs. Maybe do both? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:05 PM   #2
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Just carry plugs too. That’s what I do. We’re screwed regardless if the goop or plugs (which are super hard to use, at least for me) can’t fix the issue (like a sidewall cut or blow out).

The inflator is incredibly effective, I wouldn’t bother replacing it.

So, a small kit with plugs under the floor close to the battery and you’re set, IMO.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3707.50
      02-21-2024, 07:48 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I've looked at the factory tire repair kit. Internal sealant goop with a 12 volt inflator.

Anyone used this yet in a real situation? I'm considering replacing it with a plug repair kit and battery powered inflator.

It seems like I could get down the road (slowly) in a few more situations with plugs. Maybe do both? Thoughts?
My 2018 Hellcat came with a tire repair kit: Canister of tire sealant and an air compressor.

Had to use it when the left rear tire developed a pretty good leak while on the way to work.

The tire repair kit worked well. Just followed directions.

Positioned the tire -- by moving the car -- to have the valve stem low as possible to the ground. (I had managed to make it to a nice parking lot so I could work on the tire in safety rather than work on it on the side of a busy road with no real shoulder.)

Connected the air hose fitting to the valve stem then got the air compressor running.

The tire kit instructions called for the engine running so I started the engine and let it idle while the compressor ran.

Selected add sealant mode then after sealant was in the tire switched to inflate mode and continued to let the compressor run.

Early in the inflation phase some goop leaked out the puncture. It so happened the puncture was also low to the ground with the stem low to the ground.

Took some time for the air pressure to build in the tire. But it started coming up. In the meantime I was on the phone locating replacement tires. Found a dealer about 4 miles away with the right rear tires in stock.

After about 15 minutes tire pressure was up to 40psi. Cold air pressure was supposed to be 32psi but I wanted some extra air in the tire in case the goop didn't seal the leak.

Put everything away then headed to the dealer. Arrived with the tire pressure holding just fine. Not sure if this is allowed by Dodge but it occurred to me I might have been able to just stay with the repaired tire. Both rear tires -- factory original -- had 13.5K miles and both had plenty of tread left but I decided the replace the rear tires.

Anyhow got the rear tires replaced and was on my way.

Oh I had read about tire sealant fouling the tire pressure sensor or otherwise being a real mess to deal with but I hear not one peep out of the service manager, service advisor, or tech who brought the car around after replacing the tires. I do not recall the TPMS having to be replaced. I do remember that after the repair using the sealant I had no problem from the TPMS of that wheel (or any wheel).

Had there been any complaints I was going to point out I used a tire repair kit supplied with the car by the factory. If there are any complaints they should be directed to the factory. Really I would have preferred a real full size spare but of course that ain't going to happen...

Some prefer using a plug repair. And tire shops often use a combination plug/patch repair. In this case the tire has to be removed from the wheel.

I bought a plug repair kit some years ago but I never used it. Required removing the object that punctured the tire. I seem to recall having to use a file like tool to prepare the hole. And then using another supplied tool inserting the plug into the hole.

Pretty much the above would require I jack up the car remove the wheel to get good access to the hole. (The Hellcat didn't come with a tire jack or any other tools necessary to remove a wheel.)

So my feeling is the better method is the tire sealant method. If the puncture can be fixed by a plug it can be fixed by the sealant and using the sealant requires less work on my part.

After years of tire experience with performance cars fitted with high performance tires while I might get a tire fixed I almost always replace the tire punctured and in some cases -- if tire tread differences would be out of tolerance -- have both tires replaced.

But I do make exceptions. The most recent one -- make that two -- was with my M2. Got a tire puncture. Not a bad one. But the tire was losing air pressure and needed topping up -- which I loathe. Had car into local BMW dealer and tire was repaired. $60+ cost. Then not too long after the *other* rear tire developed a slow leak. Dealer fixed this tire, too.

Have put around 4K miles on the tires since and they are fine.

I considered replacing the tires but a new rear tire runs over $500 mounted/balanced/installed. Sure if I had to replace the tires I would but thankfully they were fixed and I didn't have to replace them.
Appreciate 3
      02-21-2024, 08:22 AM   #4
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the great answers all.

Trying to build a small as possible pile of useful stuff to carry in the car, particularly on longer trips (which I haven't been able to do yet).

As far as the plugs, I was also thinking that the plugs themselves might be nearly impossible to get in the tires on the M2 because of the lack of jack and tire/fender clearance. You need to get a tool in there, and you would have to roll the car around a lot to get to a small open area between the fender and the ground to get the plug tool into.

And that is if you are "lucky" enough to get a nail right in the middle of the tread.

I've just never had a car without a jack and spare before, so probably more nervous than I should be about it. My Infiniti Q60 had a spare, but also had no trunk space (a big selling point on the M2), and I never used the spare on the Q60 (although I did use a portable air compressor to get me to a tire place), so I'm willing to accept that compromise.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5957.00
      02-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Thanks for the great answers all.

Trying to build a small as possible pile of useful stuff to carry in the car, particularly on longer trips (which I haven't been able to do yet).

As far as the plugs, I was also thinking that the plugs themselves might be nearly impossible to get in the tires on the M2 because of the lack of jack and tire/fender clearance. You need to get a tool in there, and you would have to roll the car around a lot to get to a small open area between the fender and the ground to get the plug tool into.

And that is if you are "lucky" enough to get a nail right in the middle of the tread.

I've just never had a car without a jack and spare before, so probably more nervous than I should be about it. My Infiniti Q60 had a spare, but also had no trunk space (a big selling point on the M2), and I never used the spare on the Q60 (although I did use a portable air compressor to get me to a tire place), so I'm willing to accept that compromise.
Over the years the stuff I carry in a car when on a long (thousands of miles) road trip has been quite reduced. My emergency kit now consists of a cell phone, phone charger, an up to date membership in a premium auto club (backed sometimes with a new car road side assistance).

(Might also add I used to carry a hand held CB radio which one night came in handy after I hit some road debris in my Boxster and was stranded with a busted radiator on the side of 50 highway just west of Strong City KS with *no* cell phone. Dear old Dad had given me the CB radio before I left. Dads are smart!) Used the CB radio to get a big rig driver to stop and he graciously let me use his cell phone to call a tow truck (from Wichita KS about 75 miles away). Driver refused to let me pay him for the call, or accept even a cash gift for his stopping.)

To be sure with cars that came with a space saver spare tire I didn't remove the space saver tire/jack/etc from the car. In around 4 decades of road tripping in various cars that came with a spacer saver spare tire only had to use it a couple of times. But at least one time -- in my 2006 GTO in the mountains east of San Jose CA hit a rock and blew out a front tire and was not in cell phone coverage and miles from anywhere -- it was very much appreciated. I got the flat tire removed and the space saver tire installed and drove 15 or more miles -- at a slow pace the space saver tire was a bit underinflated -- to the I5 freeway and a gas station where I was able to properly inflate the space saver tire before driving the car 50+ miles home.

My SOP learned the hard way -- by experience -- is to set out on a road trip with tires in reasonably good condition. I set out in my Turbo with rear tires very close to the wear bars. Tech who gave the car an inspection before I set out noted the rear tires were quite worn and recommended I replace them. He said the more worn the tires are the more prone they are to a puncture. I knew this but I declined to replace the tires before leaving on the trip. Instead I chose to risk the drive 2K miles and then stop at a Porsche dealer who had offered me an attractive price on tires.

Big mistake. Made it from Livermore CA to Fresno CA when I learned both rear tires had picked up a puncture -- thankfully both slow leakers. Dealer had no tires in stock. Called some tire stores. No tires in stock. No tire store would "fix" the tires.

I turned around and drove back to Livermore. No tires at the Livermore dealer. Walnut Creek dealer said it had the tires. Drove up there spent the night at a hotel next morning learned the dealer made a mistake and did not have the tires in stock. Located a set of tires (4 tires!) at the Sacramento dealer. Drove there and got new tires installed. Cost me 2 extra days of my week's vacation, 1 night in a hotel, and nearly 1K extra miles of driving because I failed to heed the recommendation of the tech who inspected the car...

When (if) I road trip in my M2 I'll have a tire repair kit and if a tire gets a puncture will try the kit. But if it doesn't work I'll call for a flat bed tow truck and have the car hauled to someplace -- ideally a dealer -- to get the tire or tires replaced.

Might add it has been my experience -- thankfully just a few times -- the nearest dealer is booked up and I've had to find another and more distant dealer.

'course, you might decide to not live quite as on edge. There might be a space saver tire that would fit your M2.You'd have to source a suitable jack, lug nut wrench, etc. Even so using the space saver is not necessarily straight forward. With some cars if the flat tire is a rear tire the rear tire is removed, a front wheel/tire is moved to the rear, and the space saver tire is put on the front. Cars that have required this have had this covered in the owners manual. (Think my Turbo required this.)

But because the M2 doesn't come from the factory with a space saver you are on your own or have to rely upon someone who's sorted this out already to know the acceptable way to make use of a space saver spare.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Here's my repair kit:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039743
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:30 AM   #7
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
Looks interesting. Probably a little beyond what I'm going to compromise to, but very complete. I will probably put a small plug kit and battery pump in a bag and throw it in a vehicle when I know I will be far away from dealers and whatnot.

I even drive/ride in places with limited/no cell service. I think a lot of folks these days don't realize they exist! Admittedly, they are getting fewer and further between.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:41 AM   #8
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I used the mobility kit. Actually I used two of them at the same time. Start at 22:10 to see what me experience was like. It's okay to laugh.

https://youtu.be/7Uu-srslPVg?si=81LjW9bfguG82yT3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
theblackfalcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW, Ford F150, BMW X545e

I keep a plug kit and air compressor in all cars. They can be life savers. You had to be good at rolling the car or turning the wheel to position best to access the hole. Make sure your kit has a pair of plyers in it for removing the object. Once you get good at plugs, they can be done in minutes.

For my motorcycles I use one of the mushroom style plug guns. They work great in soft compound tires.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2024, 11:46 AM   #10
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
I used the mobility kit. Actually I used two of them at the same time. Start at 22:10 to see what me experience was like. It's okay to laugh.

https://youtu.be/7Uu-srslPVg?si=81LjW9bfguG82yT3
Not laughing, but how do you get an explosion like that? Bottle not secure to the compressor?

You overcame in the end, which is the important part. I've certainly had my share of those sorts of things in years of motorcycle and car trips. Fortunately, I've become a "little" more chill in these circumstances as I've gotten older, but still sucks.

The few times I had the right thing at the right time were absolutely gems, though. So, it's a challenge to try to have that thing!
Appreciate 1
rons e921423.00
      02-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #11
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not laughing, but how do you get an explosion like that? Bottle not secure to the compressor?

You overcame in the end, which is the important part. I've certainly had my share of those sorts of things in years of motorcycle and car trips. Fortunately, I've become a "little" more chill in these circumstances as I've gotten older, but still sucks.

The few times I had the right thing at the right time were absolutely gems, though. So, it's a challenge to try to have that thing!
I have no idea what I did to be honest. If you couldn't tell I was pretty stressed out being like 200+ miles from home with another 150+ miles to go.

I had two mobility kits and both were different. When I plugged the first one in it just exploded everywhere. Second one went off without a hitch. Although I had to stop a bunch of times getting to the track, then a few times on the way home to add more air.

Ironically, I brought the car to the dealer and they said it was a leaking valve stem. They tightened it up, and I picked it up a few days later. Then I tried to do another rally to upstate New York, and it was leaking worse than before. I had to stop 12 times on my way home to add more air. It turned a 3 hour drive into 8 hours.

When I brought it back the second time, they discovered the puncture. Pretty shitty on their part to let me leave like that and put me in some pretty unsafe situations on the side of major highways adding air to the tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:06 AM   #12
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
Here is mine & it's a very simply yet effective solution. Just add some strong pliers to remove the nail / screw. And move the car forward enough (if it's a rear puncture) or turn the steering wheel enough (if it's a front puncture) to gain better access.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Trogster468.00