BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

08-26-2024, 11:35 PM   #1
DutchBoysRacing
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2013 Mini GP

Car won't start randomly

I was recently at Weather Tech Laguna Seca when my car had a very "fun" and strange issue. I tried to turn on my car except it wouldn't. Car is currently at the dealership for what I hope is a quick and easy repair.

My guess is an electronic failure of some sort. Just strange for it to happen out of the thin air. I was able to track the car the session before with zero warnings and no drama on track. Getting ready for my second session my car wouldn't start. Sucks that a three day track event got cut into one 20minute session...but life happens. Here is what I observed:

- Left side of screen would be off, when left side of screen was off car would not function. Car would not be able to be turned off (screen would stay on until it timed out)
- Left side would randomly turn on, and then the car could start. It would then after a brief period turn off and the right side would give me an error "stop car".
- Upon resetting the car "drive train malfunction" would appear (sometimes). Another restart after the warning and it would clear.
- There was no warning to error up to the point of this failure.

I reset the battery. I cleared codes with bimmerlink. I threaten to sell the car.

Mods to my car:
ER Mid Pipes - (doubt this could play a role)
No rear seats - (maybe some important electronics there?)
AiM Solo Wiring to CAN - (Maybe something got lose?)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Error memory-23-08-2024.pdf (56.7 KB, 42 views)
      08-27-2024, 12:12 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I would remove any CANbus aftermarket device (such as the AIM system), reset the errors and see if they return.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 10:28 PM   #3
DutchBoysRacing
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I would remove any CANbus aftermarket device (such as the AIM system), reset the errors and see if they return.
Well I took the car to the dealership and they "reinstalled the software" and apparently it is working again.

No idea why the AiM Solo DL2 would cause this issue randomly after working for months on end. Is this a common occurrence?

Also a bit worried that they fixed this via software as if it was software related what stops this from happening again :/
      08-28-2024, 01:24 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBoysRacing View Post
Well I took the car to the dealership and they "reinstalled the software" and apparently it is working again.

No idea why the AiM Solo DL2 would cause this issue randomly after working for months on end. Is this a common occurrence?

Also a bit worried that they fixed this via software as if it was software related what stops this from happening again :/
They may have reloaded software as a default response to the error messages, whether it needed it or not.

I would check the AIM config for some of the things that could cause problems on the CANbus, such as:

- Bitrate incorrect / forced to incorrect value causing bus overload
- AIM Solo device ID conflicts with a BMW ID
- AIM Solo is not in silent / listen only mode and may re-transmit bus messages / PIDs that conflict with BMW devices
- AIM BMW driver used may not be fully compatible with current BMW G-Series / iDrive CANbus implementation.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 07:17 PM   #5
DutchBoysRacing
Private
United_States
Rep

SO I FOUND THE ISSUE AND BOY AM I DUMB

So fun fact, if you try hard enough you can fit the 7 pin (data) connector into the 5pin port(video)...and when you do this the pins touch and short everything out...

tl;dr dont be dumb like me.

The pins are so thin when I visually inspected the connector for data it looked like a 5 pin port. I did it again today and then realize what an idiot i was...after separating the pins and restarting the car (w/ clearing codes) cars back up and running.

Let this me a warning to you all: the square goes into the square hole, even if it fits into the circle...

Last edited by DutchBoysRacing; 09-12-2024 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0