bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-17-2024, 09:29 AM   #1
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

High Aluminum Content In Coolant

Hi, hope everyone is doing well.

For some context, I am very particular about this car and drained just about every single fluid (mechanical fluids) apart from the break-in, including transmission, diffs, transfer case, etc. I have baselines for this car dating all the way back since day one, as well as perfect or almost perfect tests on those fluids.

I change my coolant on a bi-annual basis, so every two years.

I have BMW themselves perform this service as a lot of the Indy's here in Toronto either cannot work on coolant systems correctly, or they go against what the BMW TIS says. Thus, I'd rather pay double the price for peace of mind.

To the left is a baseline sample from Polaris that the BMW tech took for me as a baseline to submit to Polaris. This was a virgin 50/50 sample.

To the right is my used sample, which covers roughly 10,000 km - 6,200 miles. This sample is high in aluminum (corrosion metals).

I'm perplexed. Why is my aluminum so high? I don't see how corrosion could affect the parts they mentioned on such a pristine and mint-condition car that has never seen rain, snow, or inclement weather.

Is it possible that this was present from the factory? Maybe it's the water pump? There were a few instances where this car idled to operating temp by mistake. Excessive idle could have led to the deterioration of the water pump, which would explain the aluminum present in the coolant?

If anyone could provide an insight, please help me out with this. Currently, the only thing I can do is take a sample of the coolant next year and see if the results are around ~50% similar or if the corrosion metals go down? I'm not sure.

EDIT: This report for both the baseline and used report has high hardness. Is it possible both BMW factory AND the BMW dealer used hard water (non-distilled) in order to dilute the coolant concentrate? Why are both reports showing high calcium and magnesium content? Both of which are two things found in hard water.
Attached Images

Last edited by armandnouri; 05-17-2024 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0