F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PCV warranty extension by BMW
Extreme Powerhouse

11-26-2023, 12:42 AM   #23
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Are folks planning to, or doing routine maintenance by replacing the diaphragm on a "regular" basis, because IIRC once the tear happens, and been driving (hard) with that condition, then already too late by then, i.e. engine is toast?

Seems like only viable solution, to eliminate the failure with rubber diaphragm is to get rid of it completely from the car, hence the pcv delete system suggested above, and add the VTA.
Appreciate 1
ocdx30.00
      11-26-2023, 02:49 AM   #24
gantona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i (euro market)

PCV failure is not gonna kill your engine...
you will start burning oil, since oil vapours will go thru the intake system.
You will possibly cover your spark plugs with oil, which may, or not, create misfire conditions.

I broke my PCV last august, had decent amount of smoke ran for several minutes.
Engine is still correct.
I just noticed some oil on spark plugs threads when replacing them few months later.

don't overthing this issue...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 08:09 AM   #25
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenc2 View Post
I wonder if they would reimburse me for purchasing the Ross Racing diaphragm kit.
Oh sure! BMW always reimburses people for violating federal emissions laws!
      11-26-2023, 11:55 AM   #26
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Oh sure! BMW always reimburses people for violating federal emissions laws!
I meant the billet cap with a replacement diaphragm not the delete kit. Don't see how that violates federal emissions laws.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 12:11 PM   #27
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenc2 View Post
I wonder if they would reimburse me for purchasing the Ross Racing diaphragm kit.
no lmao.. you would have to take it in to dealer for them to do the swap. would not take my car in if anything is modified .. they plug it into the computer and sends a code if ecu has been modified, not only that they can put in bmw notes that car is modified for future visists.

20$ part , takes 5 mins . or delete it if thats what you bought

https://www.bimmernetwork.com/produc...eplacement-kit
2018 340i - MHD CUSTOM TUNE, PURE850, DORCH STG2.5,MHD-FLEX-FUEL, M-PERF LSD, XHP Stg 2, CSF Heat Exchanger, M-Perf EXHAUST Mid Pipe BACK, Ross Racing Oil Catch Can, Evo Race Work Downpipe, PURE Inlet, DINAN Intake, VRSF Chargepipe
2011 335is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #28
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Had mine done by local dealer this past Saturday. But, of course, now that they have to pay for it, they no longer insist that the valve cover has to be replaced. They installed a BMW repair kit. Surprise, surprise. 😏
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 05:28 PM   #29
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
https://www.rossrperformance.com/pro...llet-pcv-cap-1

EDIT: it’s not 10 dollars, but this is what i’d go with tbh.
I did this myself, billet cap and diaphram combo. Stay away from the orange ones on ebay, these grey ones are OEM quality. Easy swap, and the billet cap is MUCH nicer than the plastic one.
Appreciate 1
toxik2506.00
      11-28-2023, 08:41 AM   #30
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivilla035 View Post
I did this myself, billet cap and diaphram combo. Stay away from the orange ones on ebay, these grey ones are OEM quality. Easy swap, and the billet cap is MUCH nicer than the plastic one.
i wonder if the grey aftermarket ones are better quality than OEM, or if OEM is better quality than the Ross aftermarket ones.

i know im gonna do this as preventative at some point if mine doesnt tear on its own, and still not sure if maybe I should get the OEM repair kit and the ross billet cap, or just get the diaphragm from Ross also. The latter is a lot cheaper, but I care about the quality more than money.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:09 AM   #31
BaconDouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 F34 340i xDrive GranTurismo

Quote:
i wonder if the grey aftermarket ones are better quality than OEM, or if OEM is better quality than the Ross aftermarket ones.

i know im gonna do this as preventative at some point if mine doesnt tear on its own, and still not sure if maybe I should get the OEM repair kit and the ross billet cap, or just get the diaphragm from Ross also. The latter is a lot cheaper, but I care about the quality more than money.
Same here, i just want something that is quality.
If I get the billet cap, does the rubber diaphragm still need regular replacing?

Perhaps just go with OEM replacement and monitor on a regular basis like every 40k miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #32
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDouble View Post
Same here, i just want something that is quality.
If I get the billet cap, does the rubber diaphragm still need regular replacing?

Perhaps just go with OEM replacement and monitor on a regular basis like every 40k miles?
billet cap's main function is to be able to service the diaphragm easily. the current plastic cap can easily break when prying off. i think generally if the mentality is to change the diaphragm once and never think about it again, there's no point in getting the billet cap then. 40k sounds like a reasonable interval, i was thinking of something similar like change the diaphragm when you change spark plugs which is about 30k.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #33
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Quote:

I think the gray diaphragm is the same quality as OEM, or at least it's MUCH better than the orange one. In all honesty, I'd buy the billet cap since it has set screws on the side. No need to worry about the crappy aftermarket cap flying off. That happened to me. I'd say buy the kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:33 AM   #34
Hfasih
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prak903 View Post
Got this in the mail today…looks like BMW finally acknowledged the PCV issues. Wonder if they’ll reimburse my Ross racing kit?
Wondering if anyone in Canada received this too?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #35
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Just got the PCV repair from the dealer. (#11-12-1-025-447). I'm always hesitant about dealer repairs with a tuned car, but fwiw I told my service advisor to put "no software updates" in the service ticket. I personally spoke to the tech to not update software (he's also a BM3 user and said he had no reason to update software for this repair regardless), and I put a note on the dash to not update software. Had no issues other than they don't replace the whole valve cover for this anymore...

For anyone hesitant on going to the dealer with a tuned ECU, that's my 2cent.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 11:05 AM   #36
BaconDouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 F34 340i xDrive GranTurismo

This issue just occurred in my car with 48k miles (squeal and white smoke after extended period of idling).

I've read a few threads here that there are fitment issues with the Ross Racing billet cap replacement, so going to try the plastic cap replacement first.

The BimmerNetwork cap kit (orange) seems to be the most popular - does anyone have experience with the Ross racing plastic cap kit (blue version)?
Also has anyone used the just the Ross Racing rubber Diaphragm (green version) alone?

BimmerNetwork kit ORANGE
https://www.bimmernetwork.com/produc...eplacement-kit

Ross Racing Kit BLUE
https://www.rossrperformance.com/pro...ic-pcv-cap-kit

Ross Racing B58 PCV Rubber Diaphragm - no cap, just the GREEN diaphragm
https://www.rossrperformance.com/pro...-pcv-diaphragm

Here is what Ross Racing says about the black and orange replacements-

This rubber diaphragm is of the SAME quality as the OEM rubber diaphragm as well as the SAME overall diameter! This is important because there are currently alternatives (black & orange in color) that cannot compare in overall quality.

The BLACK version is slightly smaller (1-1.5mm smaller) than the OEM piece which can lead to fitment issues. Then there is the ORANGE version that is a thicker less malleable rubber which will actually be more susceptible to failure (ripping/cracking).

These other diaphragms are still a solid option but if you are trying to replace the rubber diaphragm with one of OEM quality, this product is your best bet!

Last edited by BaconDouble; 04-29-2024 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0