bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-24-2024, 06:55 AM   #1
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Sound Deading Doors

Figured I'd share some of the work I did this weekend on my updated speaker installation. While I was in the doors changing the speakers to Morel Reference components, I was sure to add additional generous sound deading and absorbing to the panels that could potentially resonate.

On both the inside of the door and door cards, I used a layer of mass loading butyl sound deadening, then insulated the speaker mount area with felt used for furniture scratch pads, followed by two full layers of felt and the factory door fleece. I also added a layer of felt around the speaker to help further dampen and isolate sounds coming from behind the speaker cone.

The door panels still fit back on easily without any interference. Made a fairly noticable improvement to the acoustics and only cost about $25. Hopefully this helps out anyone looking to upgrade their system and improve the sound quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I did this with my F30 when I put in Bavsound and it really made a difference.

What the hell is that top picture?!? That looks crazy congested.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:15 PM   #3
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I did this with my F30 when I put in Bavsound and it really made a difference.

What the hell is that top picture?!? That looks crazy congested.
That's the inside of the door card. It's like 10 pieces that are glued, screwed and friction welded together.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Thanks for the post! It looks like you installed the sound deadening to the plastic parts of the inner door card? Did you ever go past the vapor barrier and apple any deadening to the the metal?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:17 PM   #5
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Thanks for the post! It looks like you installed the sound deadening to the plastic parts of the inner door card? Did you ever go past the vapor barrier and apple any deadening to the the metal?
No I didn't crack that open. After looking online it appears that the window regulator assembly mounts to the back of the vapor barrier. I didn't want to mess with that or the side impact sensor. The way these doors are built and how the midrange mounts, it's very unlikely that the sound from a 4" speaker will excite a resonance on the outer door skin. The sound would have to get through the vapor barrier first which is pretty decently thick plastic. In other cars where the speakers mount to the metal of the door and vent right in to the cavity, I have gone to that effort.
Appreciate 0