BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-13-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Hey guys- I thought that I would share my experiences so far with track pads.
So far I have used EBC Blue stuff, G-loc R12's, G-loc R16's, Pagid RS29, and Cobalt XR1.

EBC Blue Stuff- garbage. I got 2 days out of these pads on fairly mild tracks. The bite was pretty mild and the modulation was not linear and felt unpredictable. I experienced brake pad fade at G2 Motorsports and lightly tapped the tire wall. If you haven't experienced brake pad fade it can sneak up on you, unlike brake fade which happens more gradually. I went into the pits and changed to my stock pads after this run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfME7J2-1Gs

G-Loc R12- Good bite and were fairly predictable during trail braking. They handle heat well as you can see in the picture below. I got 3 track days 2 at COTA (heavy braking) and 1 at a mild track.

G-loc R16- Best bite out of the pads I have tried so far. You get to the threshold braking point very quickly. They sound like they are grinding after a bit of use. It is an unnerving noise. Life is similar to the R12. They need heat to be effective so if you have these installed around town (not recommended), brake much sooner than normal.

Pagid RS29- People love these but they were Meh to me. More bite than the EBC (which is not saying much) but not nearly as much as the G-locs. They are very linear and predictable but I had to brake a lot sooner. Other people say that they get a lot of life out of them but I took them out after 1 day because they were just not as aggressive as I like. I wish Pagid offered other compounds for G8x. These would be a good option for someone who tracks occasionally, is not aggressive, and doesn't mind a bit of squeal when they are not on the track.

Cobalt XR1- I got a set of these after talking with the owner of Cobalt at the track. I had them on last weekend at COTA. The bite was about the same as the R12s but the modulation seemed more linear and predictable than the R12s. I don't know the life yet but they are the same thickness as the Pagids and are thicker than the G-locs. However, they have a thinner backing plate and more compound than the Pagid and G-locs. Time will tell if this tradeoff is ok.
Update: post 25 has the results of the Cobalt after 2 full track days and one session at COTA

Anyway- those are my thoughts so far. Hopefully, someone finds this helpful.
Attached Images

clutchdj2054.00
LTE2WRK49.50
Ryan@IND1796.00
Mr. Hankey1473.50
      05-17-2024, 09:15 PM   #2
GenXG87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 & 2018 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.80]
2018 BMW M2  [9.80]
Good info. I agree with the Pagid. Not a ton of initial bit, fairly easy to modulate. I ran them hard at Carolina Motorsports park and wear looks good. But they seemed to be riding the rotors a bit when they were hot. Also, not a lot but did feel like the brakes would start to get soft later in the session.

They never squealed for me, but had the grinding probably like your R16.

On our N55 M2 we've run the Ferrodo DS2500 (not for any heavy braking tracks on tire) and the DS3.12. I really want the DS3.12s on the G87. They bite hard, easy to get to threshold and felt consistent throughout the session.
2018 F87 ///M2 DCT - MPE, BM3 stg1, MAD Intake, xHP stg2, M4GTS Diff/Steering, Euro MDM, Ferodo 3.12, APEX VS-5RS, Potenza RE-71RS, Cobra Nogaro next mods: Ohlins R&T, Vorshlag Camber Plates, SPL parts
IG: Follow ME: genXg87
Appreciate 1
ZPD596.00
      05-19-2024, 08:53 AM   #3
GA_G87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
Hey guys- I thought that I would share my experiences so far with track pads.
So far I have used EBC Blue stuff, G-loc R12's, G-loc R16's, Pagid RS29, and Cobalt XR1.
Does Carbotech make pads for the G87? If so, does anyone have experience with them? TIA
Current cars: 2023 G87, 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2023 C8 Z51. Recent cars gone but still missed: 2011 Porsche GT3RS; 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo; 2015 Porsche Turbo S; 2016 Porsche Cayman S; 2016 McLaren 570S; 2017 Acura NSX; 2017 Camara SS 1LE; 2017 C7 Grand Sport; 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE; 2019 McLaren 600LT; 2022 Lambo Huracan Evo RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 01:53 PM   #4
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_G87 View Post
Does Carbotech make pads for the G87? If so, does anyone have experience with them? TIA
Carbotech does make pads for the G87. If I understand correctly, Carbotech's compounds are identical as G-loc because the 2 companies started as the same and then split apart.
      06-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the M2 forum but I have used EBC and yes they are total junk, Carbotech were nice but they don't last, Raybostos were a very nice pad but the last I know they don't make race pads now, a Covid thing. Speed Freaks sold me on Endless ME20 and I was not sure but that was my only option except for EBC which I swore I would never use again. Not sure if Endless makes pads for the M2 but they are a great track pad. They modulate very well the initial bit isn't great but not bad and they last. My first set lasted me 6 track weekends. I run at MSR Houston. The real bonus is they don't squeal on the street. Hint: if Endless makes these pads and you want to give them a try save your money and buy them at Black Hawk Japan, they are very legit and there customer service was excellent. Every time I contacted them I got an answer back within 24 hours and there pricing was a fraction for what they cost here in the states.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 1
ZPD596.00
      06-02-2024, 12:25 AM   #6
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the M2 forum but I have used EBC and yes they are total junk, Carbotech were nice but they don't last, Raybostos were a very nice pad but the last I know they don't make race pads now, a Covid thing. Speed Freaks sold me on Endless ME20 and I was not sure but that was my only option except for EBC which I swore I would never use again. Not sure if Endless makes pads for the M2 but they are a great track pad. They modulate very well the initial bit isn't great but not bad and they last. My first set lasted me 6 track weekends. I run at MSR Houston. The real bonus is they don't squeal on the street. Hint: if Endless makes these pads and you want to give them a try save your money and buy them at Black Hawk Japan, they are very legit and there customer service was excellent. Every time I contacted them I got an answer back within 24 hours and there pricing was a fraction for what they cost here in the states.
Good to know. Thanks
      06-03-2024, 10:12 PM   #7
Sleeper
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M, 2024 M2, 2006 M3

I’ve always ran Hawk DTC60 and 70 track pads. I don’t think they have fitment yet for the G87 but that’s always been my go-to. The 60’s aren’t too harsh on the rotors, they bite hard, and they last. The biggest downside is how bad they dust. They make the OEM pads seem dust free in comparison.

I have an email in to see if/when we’ll see the Hawk race pad options for this chassis. I’m sure a matter of time. Maybe mike@x-ph.com has the inside scoop?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:35 PM   #8
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Helpful information, thanks for sharing.

What I can add after 8 HPDEs and a few drifting events (which aren't hard on the brakes) on my car...

I use CSG CP pads on and off the track - they're a hybrid pad. No noise, easy to clean dust. They do have their limits, but for my setup and driving style, I like how they are progressive and easy to modulate (given our numb pedal). They also have a good life span.

I've just bought a second set, even though there's a decent amount of pad left; I'll keep them as spares. I changed my front brakes because I wanted to ditch the cracking OEM rotor (the cracks are worse than pictured since this was taken from a few events ago), and go for girodisc; hopefully it has better cooling which should further help with the longevity of the pad and on track performance.

Appreciate 3
BroDoze1517.00
ZPD596.00
      06-04-2024, 02:09 PM   #9
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
Helpful information, thanks for sharing.

What I can add after 8 HPDEs and a few drifting events (which aren't hard on the brakes) on my car...

I use CSG CP pads on and off the track - they're a hybrid pad. No noise, easy to clean dust. They do have their limits, but for my setup and driving style, I like how they are progressive and easy to modulate (given our numb pedal). They also have a good life span.

I've just bought a second set, even though there's a decent amount of pad left; I'll keep them as spares. I changed my front brakes because I wanted to ditch the cracking OEM rotor (the cracks are worse than pictured since this was taken from a few events ago), and go for girodisc; hopefully it has better cooling which should further help with the longevity of the pad and on track performance.

CSG is probably going to be the next one that I try.
      06-05-2024, 10:47 PM   #10
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks for sharing dude. I’ve just ordered a set of endless ME20. Will add notes once I get them out to cota
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 06:17 AM   #11
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeggoRacing View Post
Thanks for sharing dude. I’ve just ordered a set of endless ME20. Will add notes once I get them out to cota
Would like to know your feed back. They are a great endurance pad. Right now I'm driving on the street with them, no squeal. You do have to get use to them on the street. It's not bad just a little different.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2024, 07:09 AM   #12
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep

Good to know, thank you. I'm pretty used to track pads on street in other cars, so i'm sure it'll be fun and noisy, ha

Getting your hands on endless pads seems like it can be a challenge, though

Quote:
Would like to know your feed back. They are a great endurance pad. Right now I'm driving on the street with them, no squeal. You do have to get use to them on the street. It's not bad just a little different.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 12:22 PM   #13
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, thank you. I'm pretty used to track pads on street in other cars, so i'm sure it'll be fun and noisy, ha

Getting your hands on endless pads seems like it can be a challenge, though
It takes about a month since they are made to order. Where did you buy them?
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 01:10 PM   #14
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep

Direct through endless USA

Quote:
It takes about a month since they are made to order. Where did you buy them?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 06:23 AM   #15
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Direct through endless USA
Did they have them in stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 09:10 AM   #16
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did they have them in stock?
Nope, is a 4wk wait from 2 weeks ago. They said they have a large order coming in since they're getting popular.

I've been chatting with Eric at info@endlessusa.com
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 09:16 AM   #17
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope, is a 4wk wait from 2 weeks ago. They said they have a large order coming in since they're getting popular.

Once you get the pads and know the part number is correct and if you like them buy them for less money at Black Hawk Japan. This is where I bought my second set and I saved over 50% with a 30 day lead time and super fast shipping. It only took 3 days with UPS. Endless here in the states are very proud of there pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 01:29 PM   #18
BackOnBlack
Keep Up the RPMs
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [9.75]
Quote:
I am missing the attractiveness of the Endless pads. There are many intersting compounds, but it is hard to compare to other manufacturers for me. For example, for the ME20, CoF is listed as 0.45-0.52 with temp range up to 800 degC, which is really good. However, next graph shows the relationship between CoF and speed, and it appears that CoF significantly drops as speed increases. Above 140 kph (~90 mph), it shows CoF dropping to below 0.35. I must be misreading the information on their site. What am I missing?

https://endlessusa.com/products/brak...acing-compound
      06-07-2024, 03:01 PM   #19
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Are you putting these on your M2 or your Supra?
      06-08-2024, 05:44 AM   #20
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you putting these on your M2 or your Supra?
These are for the m2

Supra has a mix of ds3.12 front pads and csg c18 rear pads haha

Good luck at cota this weekend
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 11:30 PM   #21
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Quote:
CSG is probably going to be the next one that I try.
When I stopped by Jackie's shop - PHD racing in Chicago - when it came to brakes we were just like, yeah CSG is expensive but you kinda just put it on and don't think about it haha. He runs more aggressive and mixed compounds that matches what he needs; I've done mixed compounds on Supra and it can really change how the car behaves.

On the M2 I'm comfortable with sticking with the same compounds front and rear. It's really cool that people are trying different pads, I'm definitely not loyal to one brand for anything, but I can be a little stubborn to switch if I find something that works well for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #22
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
When I stopped by Jackie's shop - PHD racing in Chicago - when it came to brakes we were just like, yeah CSG is expensive but you kinda just put it on and don't think about it haha. He runs more aggressive and mixed compounds that matches what he needs; I've done mixed compounds on Supra and it can really change how the car behaves.

On the M2 I'm comfortable with sticking with the same compounds front and rear. It's really cool that people are trying different pads, I'm definitely not loyal to one brand for anything, but I can be a little stubborn to switch if I find something that works well for me.
I agree with not being loyal. I like to switch brands just to try them out, then decide. However in my situation I have few choices. I know I will never try EBC again, unless several experience racers has reported otherwise at the track but that has never happened so far. I do know that the Endless is working for me so far. I'm curious how it works for the M2. Once my car is getting close to the end of warranty my plan is a M2.
Appreciate 1
gcmak153.50