home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-14-2024, 09:23 PM   #1
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

What do you guys set as your Shortcuts?

In seat one I keep climate, so it's just a push of the iD knob and a press to open, other than that mine is a mess.

Spotify and a few other miscellaneous things.. but it feels haphazard. Expect some of you have it dialed in, perhaps even with a strategy?

Before I hear that this belongs in the iD sub-forum, I'm not asking about the functionality, I'm asking about people's approach to using it.
Appreciate 1
Ronin76741.50
      04-15-2024, 03:03 AM   #2
mh4k
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i

I never use them now they’re not physical buttons. Sad.

I just voice commands for most stuff I had on shortcuts before.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I maybe only use/change 1-2 things on a semi-regular basis. No need for "short cuts".
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:08 PM   #4
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Maybe I'm still getting used to the car but I feel like I'm always scrolling through the app list looking for something (eg. a few moments ago pulling into my parking garage, looking for the auto window config).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #5
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Maybe I'm still getting used to the car but I feel like I'm always scrolling through the app list looking for something (eg. a few moments ago pulling into my parking garage, looking for the auto window config).
Yeah once I set everything, I don't change much. Having to scroll through all the apps to find basic settings really sucks compared to iDrive 7. I'm reminded of how easy it was when I drive my wife's '22 X3MC. I hate software developers that constantly make things more cumbersome with a passion.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:13 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Don't know how it came to be but there's a shortcut (I guess) an icon on the display -- a human head/shoulders shape -- that I touch to select BMW IDs and then select my ID. This when I am using the spare key that so far I have not been able to tie to my ID. When I use this spare key it has me down as guest.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:32 AM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Don't have my car yet, but being the internet here are my thoughts haha...I was disappointed to learn about no physical shortcut buttons. This will be my 4th BMW. Typically I'd have a button assigned to BMW maps, and a second to Waze in Apple CarPlay as an easy way to switch between the CarPlay world and the BMW world, but it seems the shortcut to CarPlay is now easier to find and better integrated in iDrive 8 and my wife's X5 just starts in CarPlay which wasn't true of iDrive 6, so happy for that. I'm happy to just live in the CarPlay world and not have anything from BMW on there.

I would also have a shortcut to the tire pressure monitor, "preset" radio stations (I would use Sirius Xm and local radio channels), and sport displays. This car is going to be totally different I imagine.

I don't see myself using shortcuts at all anymore in this. I'm happy using CarPlay exclusively and not have to worry about any BMW iDrive anything once configured, Tire pressures are still important (but I believe can be added to the sport display now), and just HVAC controls which sound like are always on at the bottom of the screen. My wife's X5 right steering wheel scroll knob will allow flipping through favorite channels in the HUD which I find very useful so hopefully that is a "set it once" and it just works in the M2. Other than that just need HVAC controls.

So this car with a big touchscreen will either be liberating as I hate using touchscreens in cars so much (as they are dangerous IMO with the layers of options) that I'm just going to say F*ck it I'm not using anything on there and will just enjoy driving the car or it will be absolute utterly annoying AF and the reason I get rid of it. Although like mh4k I will just memorize voice commands if necessary.

Read...no drive, the manual.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 04-17-2024 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 10:42 AM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
So this car with a big touchscreen will either be liberating as I hate using touchscreens in cars so much (as they are dangerous IMO with the layers of options)
I don't think I have used the touchscreen capability more than a dozen times, I generally use the iDrive controller to navigate the menus as it is much more accurate when driving on rough roads. I find our Macan without an iDrive equivalent is much more problematic when trying to accurately hit a menu item when your hand is bouncing around, requiring it to be resting on the bezel when on rough roads to select items accurately.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      04-17-2024, 02:08 PM   #9
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I haven’t even learnt how to do short cuts and I’ve owned since november
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      04-17-2024, 07:28 PM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I haven’t even learnt how to do short cuts and I’ve owned since november
Love it Geighty, I'm hoping to do the same. Just care about my oil temp, tire pressures, and drive settings.

Appreciate 1
Geighty71404.50
      04-18-2024, 01:20 AM   #11
BabyM240i
Cruising the Green Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Don't know how it came to be but there's a shortcut (I guess) an icon on the display — a human head/shoulders shape — that I touch to select BMW IDs and then select my ID. This when I am using the spare key that so far I have not been able to tie to my ID. When I use this spare key it has me down as guest.
I couldn’t get my second key to pair to my wife… 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:54 AM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Don't know how it came to be but there's a shortcut (I guess) an icon on the display -- a human head/shoulders shape -- that I touch to select BMW IDs and then select my ID. This when I am using the spare key that so far I have not been able to tie to my ID. When I use this spare key it has me down as guest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyM240i View Post
I couldn’t get my second key to pair to my wife… ��‍♂️
I remember we had the same issue with our X5 - The answer was in that head and shoulders icon - we had to create a separate BMW ID first, with their own pin, then link that profile with just that key in the car. There was a 'select key' option and the car will show all keys it can 'see'...our issue was that we had both keys in the car at the same time and that 'select key' part didn't work unless only 1 key was near the car...was not a straightforward process and it eventually worked, but we're not sure what step made it work. The other issue now is 2 keys and 2 phones...when my wife and I drive somewhere and I take my key it will link my key but her phone, and vice versa...that part of iDrive is very unrefined, cumbersome, and glitchy.

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 09:27 PM   #13
mynameisnick4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I have two, one that turns off/on HVAC and another to switch to FM radio (for hockey games.)
Appreciate 0