fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
No that's a pattern on the plastic see the second picture from the other member
The pattern is there, but his looks to have a big crack in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:47 AM   #68
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
The Turner Motor Sports skid plate protects the entire bay (see pic) unlike the Mishimoto and based on all posts here and other threads, a much better, albeit a bit more expensive, option. IMO

The problem I see with that and any other "plates" that essentially cover part or all of the cooler, ut the restriction of airflow and not allowing the cooler to perform as intended (and needed).
Appreciate 4
stormlv932.00
Jobe10176.50
Ronin76741.50
ayilar16.00
      12-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #69
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
The problem I see with that and any other "plates" that essentially cover part or all of the cooler, ut the restriction of airflow and not allowing the cooler to perform as intended (and needed).
Based on this concept, the screen design from Zunsport offers some protection but less restricted air flow than the plate design of Mish or Tuner? Or is there a 3rd more happy medium?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:05 AM   #70
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
That’s a good point and before this work was done I consulted a local shop whose work is predominantly high performance luxury cars. At installation my car was, perhaps, the least “exotic” (BMW, Ferraris, Mercedes, Porsche performance models) of the 8-10 in for work. Anyway, the tech servicing mine said not to be concerned; the cooling will be more than sufficient. YMMV
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      12-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #71
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That’s a good point and before this work was done I consulted a local shop whose work is predominantly high performance luxury cars. At installation my car was, perhaps, the least “exotic” (BMW, Ferraris, Mercedes, Porsche performance models) of the 8-10 in for work. Anyway, the tech servicing mine said not to be concerned; the cooling will be more than sufficient. YMMV

My concern is due to my tune (increased power --> increased heat --> cooling more of an issue).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #72
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
The Turner Motor Sports skid plate protects the entire bay (see pic) unlike the Mishimoto and based on all posts here and other threads, a much better, albeit a bit more expensive, option. IMO
The turner is too open around the oil cooler imo, good protection against flat curbs but not rocks. Just haven't seen any reports of people needing protection on the sides from road debris.
Appreciate 3
      12-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #73
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My concern is due to my tune (increased power —> increased heat —> cooling more of an issue).
Quote:
That's why mishimoto offers a bigger oil cooler if needed, you should monitor your oil temps if you have any concerns. I doubt any of these skid plates will impede cooling, the s58 has gone around the ring without overheating, so unless you're running 30 minute sessions and notice oil temps reaching 140-150c then you need a bigger oil cooler.
A tune is not going to increase your temps unless you're going flat out for a long time, a few pulls on the street isn't enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #74
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My concern is due to my tune (increased power —> increased heat —> cooling more of an issue).
I’ve followed your upgrades and would love a ride in that car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:03 AM   #75
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
That's why mishimoto offers a bigger oil cooler if needed, you should monitor your oil temps if you have any concerns. I doubt any of these skid plates will impede cooling, the s58 has gone around the ring without overheating, so unless you're running 30 minute sessions and notice oil temps reaching 140-150c then you need a bigger oil cooler.
A tune is not going to increase your temps unless you're going flat out for a long time, a few pulls on the street isn't enough.

I have the larger oil cooler, heat exchanger and trans cooler. Yes, the tune (stage 2 at 700+ whp) will definitely increase temps.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:03 AM   #76
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have the larger oil cooler. Yes, the tune (stage 2 at 700+ whp) will definitely increase temps.
How high were your temps before and after the bigger oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #77
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
As already pointed out above, buy a protective screen.

https://www.zunsport.com/us/product/...roduct_id=7331
Out of stock
      12-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #78
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

i have already heard a few "pings" off my mishi plate. for my peace of mind i needed something rigid protecting the oil cooler. worth the $ to me. roads suck around me and i am on dirt roads a few times a year...

i had the ECS skid shields on my last daily and they paid for themselves a few times over. some nice gouges in there after 2 years of use. the zunsport screens just look too flimsy for me
Appreciate 3
      12-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #79
dagoban
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: E21 320/6;E31 840i M;G87 M2 M

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold you the car with that fault, you have to be very unlucky for that to happen on the first day with only 650 miles on the odometer.

Something similar happened to me but with the exhaust system. During the 1200 mile (2000 km) inspection, when doing the oil change, it was discovered that the car had a crushed exhaust system. Obviously it hasn't happened to me, that must have happened during the transportation phase to the dealership. At the moment I am waiting for a new exhaust to arrive from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #80
Baller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW M2 G87  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoban View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they sold you the car with that fault, you have to be very unlucky for that to happen on the first day with only 650 miles on the odometer.

Something similar happened to me but with the exhaust system. During the 1200 mile (2000 km) inspection, when doing the oil change, it was discovered that the car had a crushed exhaust system. Obviously it hasn't happened to me, that must have happened during the transportation phase to the dealership. At the moment I am waiting for a new exhaust to arrive from Germany.
Do you have any pictures? How badly crushed are we talking about? you didn’t notice?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #81
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

xps,
Any updates on this; have you reached out to BMW NA?

This is a design flaw that they've run with for years on multiple M cars. We've seen this movie before on older M cars. Can't imagine how distraught anyone would be if this happened to their brand new car. To put the onus on someone that simply took delivery of their car isn't right. For that reason, curious to learn what BMW NA does or doesn't do.
Appreciate 5
      12-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #82
Ointment0440
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Legacy, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
The turner is too open around the oil cooler imo, good protection against flat curbs but not rocks. Just haven't seen any reports of people needing protection on the sides from road debris.
Yeah, it looks too open, I don't know that it would have protected the OP in his case if it was truly a small rock that flew in there. Would need to add another mesh or something to it. Mishimoto looks better in that aspect, but still a bit open.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #83
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ointment0440 View Post
Yeah, it looks too open, I don't know that it would have protected the OP in his case if it was truly a small rock that flew in there. Would need to add another mesh or something to it. Mishimoto looks better in that aspect, but still a bit open.
That's what I'll be doing, I'll order the mishimoto skid plate and put that mesh from from amazon around the openings.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #84
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

As I posted similarly in another thread, for me the Turner skid plate is basically a form of insurance. Is it 100% foolproof? Of course not but it does offer added protection to a fairly well know M owners problem. Having invested about $75K, give or take, in my car an additional 1% for a little peace of mind is a pittance IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #85
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
xps,
Any updates on this; have you reached out to BMW NA?

This is a design flaw that they've run with for years on multiple M cars. We've seen this movie before on older M cars. Can't imagine how distraught anyone would be if this happened to their brand new car. To put the onus on someone that simply took delivery of their car isn't right. For that reason, curious to learn what BMW NA does or doesn't do.

This is not meant to reduce the empathy for the OP or anyone else who may face these issues (whether oil cooler or radiator damage) however its not like BMW didn't do any R&D on this car, the G Series M cars or any other cars you want to throw into the mix.

Plenty of research was done in multiple locations and under multiple conditions. Unfortunately, shit happens. Its not like 90% of these cars are coming in with damage. These are truly isolated incidents (considering the number of cars in circulation around the world). I am not blaming any driver but its not always an unavoidable situation. Some people pay no attention and some dont care (I see people launch over speed bumps at 30-40mph as they have no care in the world), they just drive along like driver and the car are invincible (or they want/hope to be). Its Murphys Law at play here, it is what it is.

Those screens are not going to prevent damage causing rocks/debris from doing their damage. Will they stop certain smaller debris, yes, but that smaller debris is not really the killer here. How often do you encounter bouncing rocks? Why you ask, cause unless its a damn huge rocks, how is it going to hit the cooler (how many inches from ground to cooler face? That is a more than decent size rock that everyone should avoid, no matter what car they drive.) If you have lowered your car so much that small rocks will not pass through, well that is on the car owner, not BMW. The CFS heat exchanger I have comes with a "rock guard" which will do nothing to stop a debris/prevent damage from anything other than small innocuous items.

To literally stop/prevent the damage, you would need a very sturdy steel plate...and that would not be a feasible option as it would defeat the purpose of the cooler.

My B9 S5 had a plastic honeycomb in front of the intercooler...sure not going to stop any debris of damaging size. Case in point, my tuner has a B9 S5 and he had debris fly through that honeycomb on I95...result, smashed honeycomb and hole in the intercooler.

Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offended anyone. My take, gotta pay if you want to play. Just my two pennies...
Appreciate 8
clydefrog288.50
rk95379.50
emm2wc0.00
koopa81.50
stormlv932.00
Jobe10176.50
      12-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #86
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As I posted similarly in another thread, for me the Turner skid plate is basically a form of insurance. Is it 100% foolproof? Of course not but it does offer added protection to a fairly well know M owners problem. Having invested about $75K, give or take, in my car an additional 1% for a little peace of mind is a pittance IMO.

That protects the edges but still.leaves a fair amount of the cooler exposed.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2567.00
Ronin76741.50
      12-20-2023, 10:49 AM   #87
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
This is not meant to reduce the empathy for the OP or anyone else who may face these issues (whether oil cooler or radiator damage) however its not like BMW didn't do any R&D on this car, the G Series M cars or any other cars you want to throw into the mix.

Plenty of research was done in multiple locations and under multiple conditions. Unfortunately, shit happens. Its not like 90% of these cars are coming in with damage. These are truly isolated incidents (considering the number of cars in circulation around the world). I am not blaming any driver but its not always an unavoidable situation. Some people pay no attention and some dont care (I see people launch over speed bumps at 30-40mph as they have no care in the world), they just drive along like driver and the car are invincible (or they want/hope to be). Its Murphys Law at play here, it is what it is.

Those screens are not going to prevent damage causing rocks/debris from doing their damage. Will they stop certain smaller debris, yes, but that smaller debris is not really the killer here. How often do you encounter bouncing rocks? Why you ask, cause unless its a damn huge rocks, how is it going to hit the cooler (how many inches from ground to cooler face? That is a more than decent size rock that everyone should avoid, no matter what car they drive.) If you have lowered your car so much that small rocks will not pass through, well that is on the car owner, not BMW. The CFS heat exchanger I have comes with a "rock guard" which will do nothing to stop a debris/prevent damage from anything other than small innocuous items.

To literally stop/prevent the damage, you would need a very sturdy steel plate...and that would not be a feasible option as it would defeat the purpose of the cooler.

My B9 S5 had a plastic honeycomb in front of the intercooler...sure not going to stop any debris of damaging size. Case in point, my tuner has a B9 S5 and he had debris fly through that honeycomb on I95...result, smashed honeycomb and hole in the intercooler.

Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offended anyone. My take, gotta pay if you want to play. Just my two pennies...
Show me non-M car that has had this happen to them. You won't find any because they don't have this design flaw. Just like not having protection on the front radiator (for AT) and front heat exchangers on the G87. These can be addressed by BMW engineers without using massive plates as you suggest. The bean counters however have looked at the likelihood that something will happen and have accepted the risk (on your behalf) to cut cost. I think any reasonable person understands this is rare but who wants to take that chance when you could lose your engine and all the headache and depreciation that comes along with that?

Anyone who buys an M car already pays to play by spending much more on an M vs the standard model. To expect buyers to first beware of the issue and then have to address it isn't paying to play, it's ridiculous.

P.S. I wasn't offended by your comments. Anyone should be able to discuss an issue and offer other perspectives. It's how we all learn from each other.
Appreciate 9
      12-20-2023, 10:58 AM   #88
GG87M2
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I would flat out demand a new car. Be nice about it but this isnt bad luck its a bad design. Interestingly I ordered my guard yesterday after reading about someone elses experience piercing their radiator.
Appreciate 0