BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #45
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post

The electronics are a pain to set up for track on the G87 - that’s my only criticism. That M2 button should be configurable to put the car in track mode. It’s brain dead to have to go through 2 menus and 2 confirmation presses to be setup for track. Then you have to reactivate the display where I keep my track res temp/pressures and mode displays.
Totally agree with this one. There's a whole unnecessary sequence to go through each time. Once I was in the staging area and the track was red flagged so I shut my engine off and then after a few minutes the grid worker cleared everyone without a one minute warning type of thing so I got to be that guy holding everyone up as I started my car, waited for the screens to start up and then go through all the rigmarole.
baron951703.50
matty_f239.00
wjones14658.50
      03-18-2024, 07:49 PM   #46
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
Totally agree with this one. There's a whole unnecessary sequence to go through each time. Once I was in the staging area and the track was red flagged so I shut my engine off and then after a few minutes the grid worker cleared everyone without a one minute warning type of thing so I got to be that guy holding everyone up as I started my car, waited for the screens to start up and then go through all the rigmarole.
You were just building a gap.
Appreciate 4
ZPD439.00
baron951703.50
wjones14658.50
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      03-18-2024, 08:20 PM   #47
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
You were just building a gap.
closed it!
baron951703.50
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      03-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #48
CJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

The modern BMW is a great daily, love my g87 but when pushed - you really get it and you’re not going to drive a showroom new car like that. You wouldn’t have gotten the full flavor without driving it a bit angry - than it’s extraordinary.
Appreciate 3
Ilyam5896.00
JMcLellan2069.00
eluded3048.50
      03-18-2024, 11:14 PM   #49
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
In my case, I rushed it once taking a student for a ride on Sunday - was focused on making sure he was properly strapped. When in midway through the session, about to make a late pass in a corner with another car in front, my M2 went crazy! Rolled up the windows, tugged the belt, lit up red….. My student was like…. “Did you hit him?”

I almost lost my s#%*.

I figured I put it in Sport instead of Track. I normally reenable the center display anyway in Track, so both look identical, until you get to that first pass under heavy braking. Then it’s a freak show.
      03-19-2024, 10:40 AM   #50
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
I haven't had a Detroit car in 50 years, so my view is different than yours. Motor Trend just judged the M2 a better driver's car than the 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/ but they were comparing auto-auto, so maybe a large part of your beef is with the tranny. For a BMW I don't find it bad, but there are better ones out there. Good for you for knowing what you want.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 12:56 PM   #51
SlezbuckG87
Slezbuck
Rep
Drives: 2021 Civic SI, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Cough…911…cough
Haha, yes 911's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 03:50 PM   #52
nickyjimz
Rep
Drives: M2 (ordered) c7GS GT350 Z4mc

Well coming back to this about a month later, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and I'd figure I'd fess up to what I bought instead so you guys know where I'm coming from: a 2011 Corvette Z06.

There are about 110 reasons why the m2 is a better car, but the Z06 is such a brutally visceral car that gives me what I was missing in the M2. The M2 is much nicer, higher quality - the 'Vette creaks and rattles around a parking garage like something from the 90s - but goddamn does it make all the evil race-car noises when you give it to her, and the lightweight chassis is just wonderful. THe m2 is better, but I wanted more of an experience. I'm sure a few mods would wake the M2 up, but the car was already at the top of my budget so I didn't have too much room to play and it just felt wrong to buy a car I didn't love and then hope I can modify it to get it where I wanted it.

As a daily driver the M2 is so much better in every way (except fuel economy oddly) but the Corvette just feels like a rabid, analog machine that rages along in a way I find satisfying. I've seen a few M2's on the road, and I still get a little tinge of regret everytime I see one, but I don't regret my decision to let the one I ordered go. Maybe the auto is a lot better, and maybe a few mods would make the difference, but for me I wanted more "racecar" that I could daily. The M2 was more "nice car" that was also fast but the speed lacked excitement.

Hope you're all enjoying your cars, I still think the g87 is the most beautiful car I didn't buy. I'm 35 but just love analog, scary, nasty, mean speed. The M2 is too nice for a Neanderthal like me.

See ya'll out there on the road if any of yous are in Virginia.
-Nick
Appreciate 8
      04-11-2024, 06:29 PM   #53
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyjimz View Post
Well coming back to this about a month later, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and I'd figure I'd fess up to what I bought instead so you guys know where I'm coming from: a 2011 Corvette Z06.

There are about 110 reasons why the m2 is a better car, but the Z06 is such a brutally visceral car that gives me what I was missing in the M2. The M2 is much nicer, higher quality - the 'Vette creaks and rattles around a parking garage like something from the 90s - but goddamn does it make all the evil race-car noises when you give it to her, and the lightweight chassis is just wonderful. THe m2 is better, but I wanted more of an experience. I'm sure a few mods would wake the M2 up, but the car was already at the top of my budget so I didn't have too much room to play and it just felt wrong to buy a car I didn't love and then hope I can modify it to get it where I wanted it.

As a daily driver the M2 is so much better in every way (except fuel economy oddly) but the Corvette just feels like a rabid, analog machine that rages along in a way I find satisfying. I've seen a few M2's on the road, and I still get a little tinge of regret everytime I see one, but I don't regret my decision to let the one I ordered go. Maybe the auto is a lot better, and maybe a few mods would make the difference, but for me I wanted more "racecar" that I could daily. The M2 was more "nice car" that was also fast but the speed lacked excitement.

Hope you're all enjoying your cars, I still think the g87 is the most beautiful car I didn't buy. I'm 35 but just love analog, scary, nasty, mean speed. The M2 is too nice for a Neanderthal like me.

-Nick
Sounds like you got the car that wanted, at the end of the day that's all that matters. Enjoy the Z06
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2024, 06:55 PM   #54
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Those two cars couldn't be more different. I don't think you're going to find a lot of modern cars that will give you the kind of experience a C6 Z06 will.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 08:06 PM   #55
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Cough…911…cough
Nah—911s have weird electronic steering too. I remember getting out of a 911 GTS and into my 1M and the 1M felt like a vintage sports car you could feel everything in after! Even Porsche can’t escape numb steering—-all electric steering is like that.

It’s not the fault of the M2 it’s like that—almost ALL current cars have electric steering it’s simply a fact of current times!

OP it sounds like you should stick to older cars…
      04-12-2024, 06:14 AM   #56
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Nah—911s have weird electronic steering too. I remember getting out of a 911 GTS and into my 1M and the 1M felt like a vintage sports car you could feel everything in after! Even Porsche can’t escape numb steering—-all electric steering is like that.

It’s not the fault of the M2 it’s like that—almost ALL current cars have electric steering it’s simply a fact of current times!

OP it sounds like you should stick to older cars…
Oh 100%, but Porsche steering is night and day better than BMW M.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:35 AM   #57
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyjimz View Post

-Nick
As an owner of both, there is no way I would daily my Z06. As you stated the M2 is superior in every way for that purpose. If your Z06 hasn't had the heads fixed by a reputable shop, that should be the very first thing you do so the Z doesn't end up a paperweight. American Heritage Performance is who'd I'd recommend.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2024, 10:33 AM   #58
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a BMW if you don’t need back seats and some daily-drivability. A proper sports car is going to be a much better driving experience. Also bmw manuals are trash, the feel is so bad that I find BMW manuals to be LESS engaging than the auto counterparts (especially the old DCT). I’ve only owned 2 auto cars and I’ve only owned 2 BMWs, you can guess the correlation there.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:26 AM   #59
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a BMW if you don’t need back seats and some daily-drivability. A proper sports car is going to be a much better driving experience. Also bmw manuals are trash, the feel is so bad that I find BMW manuals to be LESS engaging than the auto counterparts (especially the old DCT). I’ve only owned 2 auto cars and I’ve only owned 2 BMWs, you can guess the correlation there.
You're kind of answering your own question in your post.

What alternatives do you suggest?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #60
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
You're kind of answering your own question in your post.

What alternatives do you suggest?
How am I answering my own question? The guy ordered an M2 and then ended up in a corvette. Seems like he didn’t know what he wanted or he didn’t understand the M2 use case.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      04-15-2024, 12:00 PM   #61
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Define better? What do you consider a ‘proper sports car’? $65k barely gets you a 4 cylinder Cayman. A Supra? (Which is a BMW)? Price to performance the M2 is unbeatable. Not saying it’s a perfect car, but there are lots of reasons other than needing back seats as to why the M2 is a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #62
fcman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Define better? What do you consider a ‘proper sports car’? $65k barely gets you a 4 cylinder Cayman. A Supra? (Which is a BMW)? Price to performance the M2 is unbeatable. Not saying it’s a perfect car, but there are lots of reasons other than needing back seats as to why the M2 is a good choice.
Exactly as he decided, a corvette. $65k gets you a corvette that will wipe the floor with the M2 in just about any sporty driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 02:20 PM   #63
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Exactly as he decided, a corvette. $65k gets you a corvette that will wipe the floor with the M2 in just about any sporty driving experience.
I'd say a much older Corvette if you want that raw driving experience. The C8 is just as electronically controlled and lack of soul people claim about the M2 (I disagree about the M2). I drove both my M2 and my Callaway supercharged C6 Z06/Z07 this weekend. Both are equally great to drive. I will say getting into the Z06 after being in the M2 reminds me how bad the seats suck in the Z06!
Appreciate 2
KC87ZB305.00
fcman670.00
      04-15-2024, 02:36 PM   #64
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I'd say a much older Corvette if you want that raw driving experience.
This exactly

In regards to the OP skipping on the M2 to buy an older vette. Good for him, he is getting what he wants, not what we want. I also looked at C7's before I bought the M2, but I like the daily experience of the M2 better based on how I drive 95% of the time. He maybe chose differently.
      04-15-2024, 03:48 PM   #65
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I plan on getting an e92.
      04-15-2024, 04:01 PM   #66
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
I plan on getting an e92.
I owned an E90 M3 - best M3 ever made in my opinion. I’ll own another one at some point. For a weekend car it has a real special factor to it that was somewhat lost when M division went turbo. The G87 is a very impressive machine though and in a lot of ways is a significant step forward, especially in terms of performance. I pick mine up on Friday.
Appreciate 0