home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-06-2024, 07:42 AM   #23
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I admit that I have hit the Rev limiter a few times in 1st gear as I'm still figuring out what my trigger point is to start the shift into 2nd gear. I find that my seating and steering wheel positioning (what's most comfortable to me) puts my eye line slightly above the horizontal rpm light bar so thats hard to track. This coupled with how quickly 1st gear revs up has made me feel silly a couple times.

What are other 6mt drivers doing for your shifting trigger points?
Geighty71404.50
      04-06-2024, 08:03 AM   #24
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I admit that I have hit the Rev limiter a few times in 1st gear as I'm still figuring out what my trigger point is to start the shift into 2nd gear. I find that my seating and steering wheel positioning (what's most comfortable to me) puts my eye line slightly above the horizontal rpm light bar so thats hard to track. This coupled with how quickly 1st gear revs up has made me feel silly a couple times.

There are shift lights displayed.

In Sport Mode I believe they are more informative. I don't use Sport Mode all that often.

I don't try to cut the shift too fine. While shifting early is bad, hitting the rev limiter is even worst. The engine is fine just if one is striving for max acceleration hitting the rev limiter really puts a dampener on acceleration.

Oh, my driving is limited to public roads. No drag racing. No closed course racing.

As you mentioned the engine gains RPMs very quickly in 1st gear. As has been the case for all my manual equipped cars the M2 is no different. Takes paying close attention and practice to *nail* the 1st to 2nd shift under hard acceleration.

In the M2 I have never begun a hard acceleration event from a dead stop. (Those rear tires are $$$$!) My hard accelerations start in a higher gear and this is the case when getting on to a freeway. Or I'm already on the freeway and down shift and then run up through a gear or two.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      04-06-2024, 08:14 AM   #25
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
There are shift lights displayed.

In Sport Mode I believe they are more informative. I don't use Sport Mode all that often.

I don't try to cut the shift too fine. While shifting early is bad, hitting the rev limiter is even worst. The engine is fine just if one is striving for max acceleration hitting the rev limiter really puts a dampener on acceleration.

Oh, my driving is limited to public roads. No drag racing. No closed course racing.

As you mentioned the engine gains RPMs very quickly in 1st gear. As has been the case for all my manual equipped cars the M2 is no different. Takes paying close attention and practice to *nail* the 1st to 2nd shift under hard acceleration.

In the M2 I have never begun a hard acceleration event from a dead stop. (Those rear tires are $$$$!) My hard accelerations start in a higher gear and this is the case when getting on to a freeway. Or I'm already on the freeway and down shift and then run up through a gear or two.
My driving behavior is very similar to what you are saying. I still haven't floored it from a stop in 1st gear but have floored it once I was moving along. Just trying to understand this car. Back in my older manual car days I would rely on engine noise and/or mph for my shift trigger point. I will do some more shift light exploration with the driving modes.
      04-06-2024, 12:47 PM   #26
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:

I hear 1 pop and know it’s time to shift lol. No but typically I sit very low in the buckets (almost on the car floor) so my HUD is eye level adjusted.

When I see red lights flash I usually know it’s time to shift. That coupled with my understanding of the engine sounds at high RPM allow for a decent shift point. I’m not perfect (nobody is with 6MT, that’s the fun of it) but I’m getting better. Banging 1st gear RPM limiter is fun, and scary at times. Rather do that then money shift ha.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2069.00
      04-06-2024, 12:53 PM   #27
m2not1LE
Private
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Just curious- is it true that with modern cars, it’s potentially near impossible to “over rev” on RPM’s unless just sitting on it?

Context- after lots of warming, I punched it in 1st gear and banged limiter a few times before smacking into second. Almost sounds like a sort of anti-lag or drill bit when bouncing. I am not sure if this is good for the car, but don’t think it’s “bad” if not held there for long time periods. I usually shift right before that point, but a handful of times I let it smack rev limiter for about a second before shifting. That’s when I get that noise.

To me, this is different than the limiter bounce when doing a burnout due to actually having traction on the rear wheels.

Anyone smarter than casual self proclaimed car expert me know more about this system and what’s actually happening? Is it fuel cut off, or just modulated by the ECU to prevent engine damage.

I assume the S58 can go above the limiter, especially the manual without torque converter (which I have).

Thanks
Useless to go beyond factory RPM limited as the engine is always past peak power at the current limiter. Torque falls off dramatically beyond that, extra RPM can't compensate and you'll just damage the engine...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #28
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
I hear 1 pop and know it’s time to shift lol. No but typically I sit very low in the buckets (almost on the car floor) so my HUD is eye level adjusted.

When I see red lights flash I usually know it’s time to shift. That coupled with my understanding of the engine sounds at high RPM allow for a decent shift point. I’m not perfect (nobody is with 6MT, that’s the fun of it) but I’m getting better. Banging 1st gear RPM limiter is fun, and scary at times. Rather do that then money shift ha.
Having the HUD must be nice for having more shift point visibility. I have my steering wheel so low that it blocks the shift light on the gauge cluster.
Glad to hear I'm not the only struggling with the 1st to gear shift shift point.
      04-07-2024, 07:02 AM   #29
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My driving behavior is very similar to what you are saying. I still haven't floored it from a stop in 1st gear but have floored it once I was moving along. Just trying to understand this car. Back in my older manual car days I would rely on engine noise and/or mph for my shift trigger point. I will do some more shift light exploration with the driving modes.
Drove my car yesterday on some country roads. Nothing crazy. But I did put it into Sport mode.

I had a chance to open the car up towards the end of my drive when I was getting on the freeway.

Ran the RPMs up while short of the rev limit up to at least in the very high 6000 RPMs range, and high enough I have seen the shift lights on the dash appear, and never saw any shift lights on the dash! This is contrary to what I have seen with the car in Efficient mode.

I didn't have a chance to experiment any more. Can't believe I have to enable shift lights in Sport mode.

Oh wait. Just checked the owners manual. In Sport Mode apparently the HUD is where the shift lights are displayed. Not on the dash! I wasn't looking at the HUD. To have the shift lights appear on the dash I have to disable the HUD.
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2069.00
xtougher564.50
      04-12-2024, 02:46 PM   #30
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Let’s not confuse sport displays with sport engine mode. If I switch to sport displays I get a tach and shift lights in the HUD. In Road displays shift lights are on the instrument display. I’ll have to check to see if lights are only displayed with engine in Sport/Sport+ but I generally don’t care as I mostly drive with engine in Sport.
      04-13-2024, 07:22 AM   #31
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
Let’s not confuse sport displays with sport engine mode. If I switch to sport displays I get a tach and shift lights in the HUD. In Road displays shift lights are on the instrument display. I’ll have to check to see if lights are only displayed with engine in Sport/Sport+ but I generally don’t care as I mostly drive with engine in Sport.
I'll have to try sport display vs. sport mode and check the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 01:52 PM   #32
sacowich
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6sp

I’m getting flashbacks.
Money shifted my F80 back in 2020 and spun the crank hub.😢
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00