BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-10-2024, 02:42 PM   #23
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Back in 2017 I had a manual Golf GTI 40 year edition (named Clubsport in Europe and UK), this model came with the Golf R engine and was a 100 kg lighter than the R. The Golf was an extraordinarily good car at that time (and price point), however, my current G87 BMW M2 is in a different league entirely. The M2's performance and build quality is a relative bargain compared to other cars of similar power outputs (thinking Cayman S or 911 Carrera). Having read your initial question I can't help but feel you maybe better served with a car like the Porsche Macan S. I have owned 2 Macan S over the past decade and believe they are a very accomplished compromise between performance and comfort which may scratch your performance itch whilst keeping your wife happy on those longer road trips.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #24
m2not1LE
Private
Rep
Drives: GTI, M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButSmooth View Post
Back in 2017 I had a manual Golf GTI 40 year edition (named Clubsport in Europe and UK), this model came with the Golf R engine and was a 100 kg lighter than the R. The Golf was an extraordinarily good car at that time (and price point), however, my current G87 BMW M2 is in a different league entirely. The M2's performance and build quality is a relative bargain compared to other cars of similar power outputs (thinking Cayman S or 911 Carrera). Having read your initial question I can't help but feel you maybe better served with a car like the Porsche Macan S. I have owned 2 Macan S over the past decade and believe they are a very accomplished compromise between performance and comfort which may scratch your performance itch whilst keeping your wife happy on those longer road trips.
GTI/Rs are of course less expensive than M2s and are front drive/drive based (R).

MK 7.5 cars are fantastic for what they are; mine is a USA model 6 speed manual Autobahn (which includes a larger factory ant-roll bar and upgraded rear dampers).

I've driven several recent generation BMW M cars (2021 M2 CS, current gen M4 and even an M8 competition).

Far more capable cars than my GTI, though I'd expect that for the price delta.

Looking forward to my M2, but definitely keeping my GTI. I love the car, especially on the open road.
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-10-2024, 03:24 PM   #25
islandfalconer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Keep in mind that the M2 shares a lot of DNA with the M4. You’re getting a lot of car for the money. It’s RWD, it’s Wide, it’s long. It rides great. It is far more composed than I expected. It is not a full on “GT” car. But I find its very well mannered, or a complete Hooligan if you want it to be.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 05:03 PM   #26
m2not1LE
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayilar View Post
Same here. No issue or rattle in 5.5 years and 25k miles (knock on wood). Will also be keeping it (in the family) even if/when I get the M2.
M2 will of course walk all over my 2018 GTI Autobahn.

Still, I took a recent drive "back home" in my GTI and it pretty much laughed at 115+ MPH speeds on curvy uphill mountain roads with my never using any more than 1.5 lanes on a 3 lane road that was nearly entirely absent of other cars.

Brakes, suspension and engine are right there at those speeds, Autobahn seats are very nice, stereo more than just "good enough" and it just hunkered down with competence that still manages to surprise me after 49 months of ownership. It's one of the all too rare cars that DRIVERS BETTER as speeds increase.

I'll note that my previous cars including then a then new 1999 1LE LS1 6 speed (with light bolt on mods) and a then new 2009 Z51 LS3 6 speed Corvette.

The 1LE was an incredibly competent car in its day. Interior was junk, reliability was sub standard and so on. Still, not a single high end Germ car ever beat it on the straights or corners, despite many trying.

Joke my today's M2 standards, but today's M2s didn't exist in the late 90s through earlier 2000s...

Now you know the story behind my username.

- Bob
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 05:05 PM   #27
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I know, and I appreciate it very much. As you had noted, "cabin noise is going to be really subjective" which is why I am trying to get as many experiences as I can.
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-10-2024, 05:15 PM   #28
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Same here. No issue or rattle in 5.5 years and 25k miles (knock on wood). Will also be keeping it (in the family) even if/when I get the M2.
My 2019 rattled, had wind noise.. not great.
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2024, 07:23 AM   #29
davecraig814
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButSmooth View Post
This is great advice and input. Thanks for sharing your experiences and perspective
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-11-2024, 06:45 PM   #30
m2not1LE
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraig814 View Post
Hi crew. I appreciate all the G87 activity across this forum. This seems like a great community. I am considering a move to an M2 from my 2018 Golf R. Curious to hear if other folks here have made a similar jump:

-How does an M2 compare on rough roads? Freeway expansion joints and pot holes can be cringeworthy on impact in my stock golf r. Should I expect more compliance or less compliance in the M2?

-Rattles in door cards and dash: My Golf R drives me nuts with rattles and buzzing at 30,000 miles. Can I expect quieter plastics in the M2 or is this just part of driving?

-Seat comfort: My wife is not comfortable for longer road trips in the Golf. Side bolsters prevent her from getting naps in on longer road trips. How do your partners find the seat comfort in the standard-non carbon seats on weekend trips away?

-DSG vs Manual:The Golf is great for carving canyons but I find the car lacks emotion and excitement with its DSG, that lack of emotion coverts to a pretty easy daily however. Am I crazy for considering a manual M2 to bring some zest back into my driving life? How much more liveable does the automatic make the M2?

An M2 would serve as a weekend car and occasional daily runaround car for me. I am not commuting today. We have a Tacoma for skiing, mountainbiking, camping and my wife’s daily commute.

My dealer just let me know an allocation came available, but no M2’s are available to test drive at this point through my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Very hard to find a car for test driving at dealerships. I order mine (2025) based on my experiences with a friend's 2021 M2 CS, along with many of his other M cars.

Current gen. M2's side bolsters are least as aggressive as your GTI's and likely more so. Don't even think about buying one with the carbon seats if that's an issue.

Auto and manual car fuel economy is essentially identical (and terrible by Golf R standards).

If you order one, be sure to tell your sales rep that you want a 2025 car. 20 more HP (plus a significant engine torque boost for automatic cars), some new pair colors and perhaps other minor enhancements.

2025 cars will be more expensive, though late production 2024 cars will take a larger immediate hit on resale value.

Note that automatic cars are quicker/faster (i.e. quarter mile) that manuals.

My current ride is a 2018 GTI Autobahn 6 speed manual; car has ZERO rattles or squeaks at 37,000 miles.

M2 ride quality over road imperfections is about the same as your Golf R in its most aggressive setting; Golf R is softer in least aggressive suspension setting.

Better off with an M240i is ride quality is a major concern. M240i also pretty much matches your Golf R fuel economy, despite the M240 being more powerful and heavier. However, no manual trans for the M240i (or its AWD counterpart).

BMW M2 is a very aggressive car by street standards; M240 is a better real world choice for most. - Bob
Appreciate 1
ayilar16.00
      04-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #31
///MmmDonuts
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Funny how many of us went R to M.
It is actually interesting. I felt like an M car was the next step performance wise. To get the performance of the m2 from an MQB car it wouldn't be cheap and probably not worth chasing.

I originally went to the dealer to look at a f87c and was about to pull the trigger when my wife told me she hated how uncomfortable and small it felt (which I consider positive traits BTW). Dealer happened to have a g87 so I convinced her to give it a shot. I couldn't believe how good of a car it was and how comfortable of a ride. The f87c was good but the g87 is REALLY good.
Appreciate 2
ayilar16.00
xtougher566.00