BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-09-2023, 06:01 PM   #23
KindaSortaTerrible
Rep
Drives: 21 Civic Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
And the 4 Blackwing.
It’s on the list to test drive! None available in manual in my area though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post
Sounds like an F87 M2 is right up your alley.

Or a 1M. I recently rented one and it was so much fun. Totally get why it's often described as an angry little bulldog that constantly eggs you on. The steering feel is also sublime
Actually i did test drive an m2c and I liked it a lot. Unfortunately we uncovered a mechanical issue during the test drive and I passed. Also the car had multiple owners and kind of an odd service history.
Appreciate 2
Squidget3529.00
rd1011.50
      07-09-2023, 06:09 PM   #24
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Everyone does because no one ever thinks about Caddys. But the Blackwings are a blast to drive.
Yeah I actually looked into them but my wife didn’t approve. Plus once I got it specced up the way I wanted it was pushing close to my other top contender which was a CPO 991.2
Appreciate 1
Squidget3529.00
      07-10-2023, 01:42 AM   #25
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

the comfort and sport+ stuff is all personal preference. some people like a longer throttle and others more direct and like an on/off switch. i dont think the lap times would vary between them. personally, i like to just leave the car in one setting and get my brain trained to that.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #26
Sculpin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 8Y RS3

Was this a BMWCCA HPDE track instructor or a BMW Performance Center instructor? I was a BMWCCA HPDE instructor and we are all volunteers. This was specifically with the National Capital Chapter, which I am assuming is your local chapter based on your location. First I'll say that you won't find a better organization to do a track event with. They run a top notch program and I cannot recommend their events enough. They are really focused on safety and developing skills. I been to events with many groups (both as a participant and instructor) and they are by far the best I've ever worked with.

As great as the group is, none of us are BMW employees. We are members of a non-profit organization (BMWCCA). We do not have any inside information from BMW. None of us get any training or information on BMW warranties or what voids them. We also do not get any training on iDrive versions or how BMW detects tunes, etc. Everything we get is from within the club itself and it's all 100% focused on safety and teaching students to be good drivers. The events are not limited to BMWs; you can bring any car. The club and the events are all about driving, not about the inner workings of BMWNA and warranties.

Not saying the information you were given was incorrect; I'm just saying that being a BMWCCA instructor doesn't necessarily mean you are more knowledgeable about warranties.

Side note, the only reason I don't instruct with them anymore is because I relocated to FL. Otherwise I would still be at every event they do. You can find me at Sebring with Chin Motorsports these days.
Appreciate 5
      07-13-2023, 05:00 AM   #27
Chris13002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpin View Post
Was this a BMWCCA HPDE track instructor or a BMW Performance Center instructor? I was a BMWCCA HPDE instructor and we are all volunteers. This was specifically with the National Capital Chapter, which I am assuming is your local chapter based on your location. First I'll say that you won't find a better organization to do a track event with. They run a top notch program and I cannot recommend their events enough. They are really focused on safety and developing skills. I been to events with many groups (both as a participant and instructor) and they are by far the best I've ever worked with.

As great as the group is, none of us are BMW employees. We are members of a non-profit organization (BMWCCA). We do not have any inside information from BMW. None of us get any training or information on BMW warranties or what voids them. We also do not get any training on iDrive versions or how BMW detects tunes, etc. Everything we get is from within the club itself and it's all 100% focused on safety and teaching students to be good drivers. The events are not limited to BMWs; you can bring any car. The club and the events are all about driving, not about the inner workings of BMWNA and warranties.

Not saying the information you were given was incorrect; I'm just saying that being a BMWCCA instructor doesn't necessarily mean you are more knowledgeable about warranties.

Side note, the only reason I don't instruct with them anymore is because I relocated to FL. Otherwise I would still be at every event they do. You can find me at Sebring with Chin Motorsports these days.
It sounds like he was a BMW Performance Center instructor. He had a BMW employee outfit and said he works at the BMW dealer (BMW Fairfax) for 1 day a week.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 06:03 AM   #28
bobSupra
Rep
Drives: e46 m3, GL450, GR Supra

First, I appreciates how BMW and Porsche design cars to be superior on the track even though they are aware only a small fraction of the owners will ever venture onto a track.

second he is wrong about JB4. It is very safe and reliable. i have had 2 set ups on 2 different BMW engines. The "trick" to safely using JB4 is match the map with the mods and actually run and look at data logs. Too many "kids" jump right to the higher maps without the supporting fueling or mods and then bad mouth the product. I used to be very active in the JB4 community and have seen and heard it all.
Third, 100% get to the track and dip your toes in. It is so much fun and 99% of track folks bend over backwards to help and advise.
I will be a summit this weekend. everyone should visit a track even if not running. It is like a triple digit car show
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #29
DivergedM2
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

The topic of Dinan warranty coverage has always been interesting. It would be beneficial to have clarity on whether these warranties run parallel or if there are specific circumstances under which the coverage applies. Either way, paying $3,000 for a piggyback tune alongside a warranty is pretty steep. The G8X community appears to have reached a level where they recognize the potential risks associated with JB4, Racechip, Dinan, CarBahn, Dahler, etc

IMO any type of tune, whether piggyback or otherwise, can raise system flags. The degree of enforcement varies among dealerships, but if BMW Corporation begins tightening, it's possible that mod-friendly dealerships would take a step back. For warranty claims, I think* dealerships are typically reimbursed by BMW Corp and hold the discretion to approve or deny coverage. While it's likely that some cases have seen coverage denials after digging into data.. I haven't heard about it too much on G8x forums and chats. Anecdotal, of course
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 08:02 PM   #30
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

I really love the idea of a Stage 2 system wifh the auxilliary radiator/reservoir for the A2W Intercooler system. That with the ability to adjust for ethanol % would be delightful!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #31
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post
Sounds like an F87 M2 is right up your alley.

Or a 1M. I recently rented one and it was so much fun. Totally get why it's often described as an angry little bulldog that constantly eggs you on. The steering feel is also sublime.
Yep, an F87 with S55 and a stage one tune has grunt torque. Shifting with the 6MT I could imagine a V8 under the hood, torque torque torque!
Appreciate 0