BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-30-2023, 12:00 PM   #23
JW-M340i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver M340 View Post
My M340 has been in stuck in final assembly for the last 30 days. Dealer informed that there is a stop sale due to the left front strut tower. Hopefully they get it figured out soon!
I'm in the same boat. Since May 30th.. CA was not able to provide any additional details yesterday when I spoke with them, neither was the Genius line.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:51 PM   #24
GummyAce
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

same boat (literally?), car arrived at port on 6/16 and has been in "At the port" since then. Genius didn't share any recall/stop sale info and just said it's going through a quality check.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:57 PM   #25
~Barn~
Neophyte
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyAce View Post
same boat (literally?), car arrived at port on 6/16 and has been in "At the port" since then. Genius didn't share any recall/stop sale info and just said it's going through a quality check.
Right there with you!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #26
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Here's all the latest info on this stop sale, notice it specifically states "VDC Campaign Only". Seems like they caught this before it became widespread. I don't see a SIB for it, nor do I see any correction procedures for it. Doesn't mean there isn't one, just don't see anything.

Technical Campaigns
Status / Campaign number / Description
Open / 10041230200 / 'G20 G42 G87 Federbeindom vorn nacharbeiten (Translated: Rework spring strut dome in front)' ' ! Delivery stop'
Open / 1STOP024847 / 'VDC Campaign Only: Strut Tower Front left' '! Delivery stop' 'Local campaign number: -'
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 01:36 PM   #27
Hypori
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update for yall since I was on the same boat as you guys. My car was released from Oxnard VPC yesterday. BMW Genius said that tons of cars have been sitting at the VPC just waiting for release. Yesterday a lot of cars got released and loaded onto trucks. Mine is expected to arrive at the dealership this Sunday.
Appreciate 1
Slick1984234.50
      06-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #28
JW-M340i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyAce View Post
Genius confirmed today it's stuck "final assembly" due to the left strut issue. Didn't have an ETA, but believed was going to be corrected at VPC (Galveston, in my case)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #29
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Here's all the latest info on this stop sale, notice it specifically states "VDC Campaign Only". Seems like they caught this before it became widespread. I don't see a SIB for it, nor do I see any correction procedures for it. Doesn't mean there isn't one, just don't see anything.

Technical Campaigns
Status / Campaign number / Description
Open / 10041230200 / 'G20 G42 G87 Federbeindom vorn nacharbeiten (Translated: Rework spring strut dome in front)' ' ! Delivery stop'
Open / 1STOP024847 / 'VDC Campaign Only: Strut Tower Front left' '! Delivery stop' 'Local campaign number: -'
Do you have info on what the work consists?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #30
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Do you have info on what the work consists?
"I don't see a SIB for it, nor do I see any correction procedures for it."
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 05:40 PM   #31
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypori View Post
Just an update for yall since I was on the same boat as you guys. My car was released from Oxnard VPC yesterday. BMW Genius said that tons of cars have been sitting at the VPC just waiting for release. Yesterday a lot of cars got released and loaded onto trucks. Mine is expected to arrive at the dealership this Sunday.
My M340s been car at Onxard VPC since June 16. Genius confirmed same issue today says theyre waiting for parts. If yours got released yesterday looks like my wasnt in the lot that got fixed so far. Hoping for next week. Goodluck Your wait is almost over man.
Appreciate 1
Hypori137.50
      06-30-2023, 08:39 PM   #32
G42 Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypori View Post
Was your car on Stop Sale?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #33
Hypori
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42 Pilot View Post
Was your car on Stop Sale?
No indications of stop sale, but it was there from 6/16 - 6/28
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 09:27 AM   #34
Jayymora
United_States
Rep
Drives: C3G G87 (193)

As of 6/23 it shows that work order has started. What could that possibly mean who knows, because as of now I’ve been told no remedy yet. Usually they don’t send it to the dealer until the stop sale is cleared.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:55 PM   #35
G42 Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayymora View Post
As of 6/23 it shows that work order has started. What could that possibly mean who knows, because as of now I’ve been told no remedy yet. Usually they don’t send it to the dealer until the stop sale is cleared.
My work order is dated on the 23rd as well.
I sure hope that the work doesn't entail replacing the strut tower.
That means unibody surgery, extensive work and it will never be right.
I'm not sure what the procedure is now but it used to be if the repair cost
is more than 3% of the cars value the dealer is notified of repair work done
on the car and if the dealer has ethics the purchaser is notified.
If it does then BMW NA can build me a new car.

Last edited by G42 Pilot; 07-01-2023 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 09:50 PM   #36
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameG42 View Post
If the repair is extensive, wouldn’t someone caught it during the QC at Factory, rather than at Port of Entry?

Is it a normal procedure to open the hood and specifically looking/checking the strut tower while at VPC? Unless of course it’s damaged during the cruise or off loading.

If it was caused by damage on the ship or offloading at port, it wouldn't be an announced issue affecting this many cars and at various ports.

And yes, the ports do inspect. If they were notified of a potential issue, then yes, they are specifically popping the hood to inspect for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 11:03 PM   #37
G42 Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep

If you can picture the manufacturing process, cars coming down the line. And, if you watch some of the youtube videos that show BMW production, at times you can see cameras and such checking the production tolerances. Even right from the start of body parts being welded to the "body in white" thru paint etc... The production line would not stop if there is an "issue" per say, it would keep going. Those cars would be flagged and dealt with later.

My car came on the Aries Leader with a few others on here (16th) and was instantly flagged with a Stop Sale. So that tells me the issue was known before the car arrived.
I suspect it is a run of cars over a small period of time thru production. Maybe one of the robots arc welder was not working to spec. Who knows.
I have read that there is at least 1 340, a few M2's and several G42's.
So here we wait.

I will say this again, If you want to know if your car is at stop sale, you will have to as the Genius, they will not volunteer this information.

I will be at my dealer on Wednesday, I have known my CA for more than 20 years (this is BMW number 10 for me), I'll see what I can get out of him.
Cheers Guys
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 11:11 PM   #38
G42 Pilot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameG42 View Post
Yeah, I was trying figure out at what point along the way they noticed the issue(s). So if it isn’t caused during the transport then it was known before they got onto a ship, shouldn’t it be fixed at Factory as opposed to send them down stream. Now if they send them without fixing them, because someone decided it’s more cost effective or less time consuming to fix them down stream, then it should be relatively minor fix and should have remedy already available once arriving at Port, instead of no details still, two weeks later other than just “Strut Tower Front Left”.

So far from this thread I though it’s only limited to Port Hueneme and no other Ports were affected, which led me to think it maybe damaged during the off loading.
We just don't know how they run their production schedule, they may run cars for the West and Asia then switch to EU and the rest of the US. My build sheet does show Port and Dealer with the production number. Shipping damage is random, fender, bumper, damaged wheel/tire etc... Since it's the same issue I would believe an assembly problem.

We need a spy at Amports in Oxnard, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 12:20 AM   #39
Jayymora
United_States
Rep

M2’s, M340i’s & some 330e’s were affected from what I was told. It could be numerous of things like possibly a bad batch of parts and realized that they need to fix. I personally don’t think it’s trans damage or related, but a bit more information than what we have would be nice.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #40
MrBobRyan21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Our M2 appears to be stuck there as well. My salesman told me the general manager checked on it and it’s waiting on a software update.

I don’t really believe them at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:48 AM   #41
Jayymora
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42 Pilot View Post
My work order is dated on the 23rd as well.
I sure hope that the work doesn't entail replacing the strut tower.
That means unibody surgery, extensive work and it will never be right.
I'm not sure what the procedure is now but it used to be if the repair cost
is more than 3% of the cars value the dealer is notified of repair work done
on the car and if the dealer has ethics the purchaser is notified.
If it does then BMW NA can build me a new car.
You're right if the repair is more than 3% of the cost of the car they will allocate new units which most likely be a 2024 model. It’s a matter of waiting and see what the real issue is. Hopefully we have more answers after the holiday weekend.

Last edited by Jayymora; 07-03-2023 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:14 AM   #42
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi I have also just been informed today when I have pressed dealer for any update that my car is also on a Delivery Stop 🛑 for left strut tower - even though genius have told me for 5 weeks solid that my car is 160 released to sales for transport !!!
Whenever you ask genius they just fob you off to the dealership saying they have direct contact with the factory yet when I query this with the dealer they say they do not. So no one can give any update as to when this will be sorted and when car will arrive in Uk 🇬🇧 😫😡
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #43
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoc View Post
Hi I have also just been informed today when I have pressed dealer for any update that my car is also on the stop sale for left strut tower - even though genius have told me for 5 weeks solid that my car is 160 released to sales for transport !!!
Whenever you ask genius they just fob you off to the dealership saying they have direct contact with the factory yet when I query this with the dealer they say they do not. So no one can give any update as to when this will be sorted and when car will arrive in Uk 🇬🇧 😫😡

I havent heard of anybstop sales due to strut tower while in the midddle of assembly. Where is the car where they inspected for this? Should be after the assembly so it may very well be at a port.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #44
ftjack
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2 (in production)

Just FYI as I got update from my SA today, My M2 is also in stop sale for left strut tower issue. It has entered "quality check" stage since June 8th. No estimate on when it will move to the next stage.
Appreciate 0