home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #1
kimchee411
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LBB 6MT| '06 911 C2 6MT

So Cal People: G87 M2 Manual on Turo

No affiliation, but I just discovered and booked a ZB over cognac 6MT G87 for $147 a day on Turo from Techiia Motorsports.

Looks like they have an amazing range of cars at great prices, from Taycan to an array of 911s, M cars, a Ferrari Roma, etc.

Anyway it's a great way to evaluate the car before pulling the trigger since test drives are hard to come by.
Appreciate 7
M2siast5876.00
clydefrog288.50
Hankdoll135.50
ourlee917.00
AlpsRider2865.00
      07-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post
No affiliation, but I just discovered and booked a ZB over cognac 6MT G87 for $147 a day on Turo from Techiia Motorsports.

Looks like they have an amazing range of cars at great prices, from Taycan to an array of 911s, M cars, a Ferrari Roma, etc.

Anyway it's a great way to evaluate the car before pulling the trigger since test drives are hard to come by.
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it and I agree that it is definitely the best way to decide on a car.

I just spent the weekend in Guerneville (NorCal) and popped out several times to drive the Hwy 1 north of Jenner. The M2 does really well in the tight stuff due to its nose agility.

I recommend a place like Glendora Mountain Road or Malibu to appreciate the cars strengths handling wise. The engine is also a gem, but I still think the handling is the highlight of the car.

One issue to watch a bit: this car builds speed very easily in the midrange and doesn’t have as much wind or road noise as I would expect. I had some 3rd gear part throttle sweepers this weekend where I was heading into a tight corner expecting to slow down from about 60 to see that I hit 85 or so. So keep an instrument sweep going and don’t rely on general feel alone. The harder you run the car, the more you feel so the lower intensity stuff caught me off guard.

-Nick
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
kimchee411
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LBB 6MT| '06 911 C2 6MT

Thanks for the tips! I'll be in OC for the weekend, so can't do Malibu or any of the LA area roads. I'm more trying to evaluate the car as a daily, since that's how I'll use it, but I'm expecting to be pulled towards finding some twisties as I get more seat time.

Really torn between a lightly used F87 now and putting in an order for a G87 to take delivery in about a year. TBH I haven't even driven an F87, but recently had a 1M for the weekend. It was a LOT of fun with its spiky midrange and fantastic steering feel, but a little too fatiguing and cheap feeling inside to be a good daily. I was told by my buddy who drove it that the M2C feels similar inside and the suspension feels a bit more harsh on M2C, which gives me reservations. The fact that you pointed out less NVH than expected is great (refined), but also bad (muted). LOL

My next car will replace a Macan S with a mild tune on KW V3s, which is objectively great, but not fun enough for me with the very wide cabin, imposing weight, and PDK. Trying to find that balance and also fulfill the M car dreams of my college days.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:33 AM   #4
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
The fact that you pointed out less NVH than expected is great (refined), but also bad (muted). LOL
Yeah, that's having your feet in two different canoes...tough to balance.

The new M2 isn't muted, its actually louder in regular operation then I expected (though very reasonable as a daily). And you can modulate the NVH with different engine modes since the interior and exterior noise really does change with the engine in Sport and the exhaust flaps open.

During my ~70 mile drive from work to Guerneville, I was very impressed by how well the car handled the drive on the highway. The M2 is slightly louder than my 340i was and stiffer in comfort than the 340i was in sport; but it wasn't fatiguing simply because the car is so precise. The on-center steering feel is quite good and it is easy to place and keep the car exactly where you want it. It is a fairly wide car at 74" (minus mirrors) and I was worried that this would be a problem for narrow Bay Area roads since I live in the Berkeley hills. But the M2 drives "small" simply because of this precision.

This balance of characteristics is the best I've seen for a daily driver. The extra noise (road and exhaust) and the stiffness of the suspension makes the car feel special, but the precision and ergonomics means that it isn't fatiguing to drive.

As a modern car, it builds speed very easily (this thing is very powerful) and it doesn't telegraph speed that well. But I haven't driven a car built in the past 10-15 years that does easily telegraph road speed. My NA Miata did....but it has a ton of wind and road noise. I borrowed my friend's 991.2 Carrera 7MT for a weekend a few years ago and it was the same story despite having a surprising amount of tire roar.

The balance between connection and comfort is a very personal one, but the new M2 does this for me far better than I expected. This is an excellent car.

-Nick
Appreciate 3
cmgbk752631.50
Squidget3529.00
      07-11-2023, 12:52 AM   #5
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by npirnia View Post
Yeah, that's having your feet in two different canoes...tough to balance.

The new M2 isn't muted, its actually louder in regular operation then I expected (though very reasonable as a daily). And you can modulate the NVH with different engine modes since the interior and exterior noise really does change with the engine in Sport and the exhaust flaps open.

During my ~70 mile drive from work to Guerneville, I was very impressed by how well the car handled the drive on the highway. The M2 is slightly louder than my 340i was and stiffer in comfort than the 340i was in sport; but it wasn't fatiguing simply because the car is so precise. The on-center steering feel is quite good and it is easy to place and keep the car exactly where you want it. It is a fairly wide car at 74" (minus mirrors) and I was worried that this would be a problem for narrow Bay Area roads since I live in the Berkeley hills. But the M2 drives "small" simply because of this precision.

This balance of characteristics is the best I've seen for a daily driver. The extra noise (road and exhaust) and the stiffness of the suspension makes the car feel special, but the precision and ergonomics means that it isn't fatiguing to drive.

As a modern car, it builds speed very easily (this thing is very powerful) and it doesn't telegraph speed that well. But I haven't driven a car built in the past 10-15 years that does easily telegraph road speed. My NA Miata did....but it has a ton of wind and road noise. I borrowed my friend's 991.2 Carrera 7MT for a weekend a few years ago and it was the same [...]
Very well laid down. An excellent summation.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:55 AM   #6
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I'll be in OC for the weekend, so can't do Malibu or any of the LA area roads. I'm more trying to evaluate the car as a daily, since that's how I'll use it, but I'm expecting to be pulled towards finding some twisties as I get more seat time.

Really torn between a lightly used F87 now and putting in an order for a G87 to take delivery in about a year. TBH I haven't even driven an F87, but recently had a 1M for the weekend. It was a LOT of fun with its spiky midrange and fantastic steering feel, but a little too fatiguing and cheap feeling inside to be a good daily. I was told by my buddy who drove it that the M2C feels similar inside and the suspension feels a bit more harsh on M2C, which gives me reservations. The fact that you pointed out less NVH than expected is great (refined), but also bad (muted). LOL

My next car will replace a Macan S with a mild tune on KW V3s, which is objectively great, but not fun enough for me with the very wide cabin, imposing weight, and PDK. Trying to find that balance and also fulfill the M car dreams of my college days.
Nick just said buy the car, no need to rent for the weekend, he’s right. All settled. Thanks for checking in.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:58 AM   #7
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I'll have to rent this very same M2 soon. Glad there's one available in Nor-Cal. Wish it was an automatic though. Flame suit on...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:

$147/day for a M2? That seems lower than I would expect.

Be very careful. Film car exterior/interior, tires, brakes, everything *before* you take the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 01:37 AM   #9
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Darn, I just re-read this & noticed this is on So-Cal & I live in Nor-Cal. Oh well, would've been nice had I lived closer.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #10
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Heading to echo park to see son 1 in august. Told my wife I’m doing a canyon turo this trip. This may be it thx for the pro tip
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:02 PM   #11
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:

Let us know your opinion after testing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like I'll finally get to put my curiosity to rest. I'm ready for a stage 1 M2C F87 to G87 back to back...We'll see.
Appreciate 0