bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-13-2024, 12:36 PM   #1
anthonyc4242
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i X-Drive

2024 Break-in Period / Service

I just got a BMW M240i X-Drive with 40 miles on it—why do they even have that many, isn't it just on and off the truck?

Anyway, Is there a break-in period for this model, and do I need a service after 1,200 miles like the ///M cars?
      04-13-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I’d say 40 miles is a bit more than normal (there is a thread on that topic) but it’s much more than “on and off a truck”.
I know they are not made in Germany, but you should see the length of trains they put cars on in Europe. Got to be a mile on and off!

Run in is detailed in the manual (and there is a thread on that too).

For first 1200 miles, no more than half max revs. Try to vary the gears and rev range. No harsh acceleration or braking - it’s not just the engine you are running in.
After that, take up the revs 500rpm per 200 miles then you’re good to go go go!

Alternatively, thrash it from day one. Some say it doesn’t matter. It’s not my car so I don’t care lol.

It’s not a M car so why would it have an M service regime?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
anthonyc4242
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I’d say 40 miles is a bit more than normal (there is a thread on that topic) but it’s much more than “on and off a truck”.
I know they are not made in Germany, but you should see the length of trains they put cars on in Europe. Got to be a mile on and off!

Run in is detailed in the manual (and there is a thread on that too).

For first 1200 miles, no more than half max revs. Try to vary the gears and rev range. No harsh acceleration or braking - it’s not just the engine you are running in.
After that, take up the revs 500rpm per 200 miles then you’re good to go go go!

Alternatively, thrash it from day one. Some say it doesn’t matter. It’s not my car so I don’t care lol.

It’s not a M car so why would it have an M service regime?

Why does it have 40 miles on it, what's the likely hood someone already test drove it and went bananas on the test drive with it?
      04-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc4242 View Post
I just got a BMW M240i X-Drive with 40 miles on it—why do they even have that many, isn't it just on and off the truck?

Anyway, Is there a break-in period for this model, and do I need a service after 1,200 miles like the ///M cars?
The new car can be test driven on a track -- the factory (in San Luis Potosí, Mexico) where the M2 and 230/240 are assembled has a test track nearby -- just to ensure all the systems: Engine control, brake/stability control, charging system, etc., are all working to some acceptable degree: That the readiness monitor tests complete and there are no warning lights on.

While BMW doesn't call for a break in service for the 230/240 models an early oil/filter service for new vehicles has been my SOP for decades.

I just can't bear the thought of at the end of break in and subjecting the engine to higher engine speeds and loads and doing so on the existing oil which has undoubtedly suffered some degradation.

So unless the owners manual forbids it I have my cars in for an early oil/filter service.

So sticking to my SOP I had my 230xi in for an early oil/filter service at IIRC around ~600 miles then again at ~1800 miles.

In the case of early oil/filter services this for my 230xi and M2 I ask the condition based system (CBS) not be reset. The oil/filter service is paid for by me out of pocket.

Curious I had a sample of the old (~600 mile) oil and virgin oil analyzed.

I posted PDFs of the two analysis reports in a thread.... Let me find the thread.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2074893
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:05 AM   #5
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
The new car can be test driven on a track -- the factory (in San Luis Potosí, Mexico) where the M2 and 230/240 are assembled has a test track nearby -- just to ensure all the systems: Engine control, brake/stability control, charging system, etc., are all working to some acceptable degree: That the readiness monitor tests complete and there are no warning lights on.
Customer cars are not taken around a track.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:01 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Customer cars are not taken around a track.
That's not my understanding.

Why would there be a test track right next door to the factory if not for use to road test new cars right after rolling off the line?

And it is a test track not a race track.

Pic (from Maps).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Your understanding is incorrect.
And I didn’t say anything about a race track.

Last edited by Pentland; 04-17-2024 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:33 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your understanding is incorrect.
And I didn’t say anything about a race track.
Yes, you didn't say anything about a race track.

My understanding is based on what I was told.

My M2 was handed over with 17 miles on the odometer. (Others receiving their cars have reported similar miles.) My car was a launch car. No dealer allowed no test drives.

Hard to believe those miles were put on the car by just shuffling the car from the end of the assembly line to various lots/transportation loading/unloading points as it made its way to eventually the dealer in KC MO or after arriving at the dealer by some dealer employee out for a joyride.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:18 PM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Yes, you didn't say anything about a race track.

My understanding is based on what I was told.

My M2 was handed over with 17 miles on the odometer. (Others receiving their cars have reported similar miles.) My car was a launch car. No dealer allowed no test drives.

Hard to believe those miles were put on the car by just shuffling the car from the end of the assembly line to various lots/transportation loading/unloading points as it made its way to eventually the dealer in KC MO or after arriving at the dealer by some dealer employee out for a joyride.
The trains that transport cars from factory to port can easily reach a mile in length. So if your car was first on the train, thats 2 miles+ before it’s even parked at the dock. It may be parked in a multi story waiting for a ship (like they have at Southampton). Add another mile or so.
Driving it to the top deck of a car shipping ship, 16+ decks, and back add another 2 miles and so it goes.
Generally <15 miles I’d say was acceptable for a new car.
It’s also a myth that employees joy ride cars. Instant sacking.

What they don’t do is take every car on a test drive outside the factory. Too much opportunity for damage. They will test on a rolling road as part of the production process. Someone posted a video of the process here). It would also take too much time. Mexico chucks out around 5-600 cars a day.

They may periodically test cars from a “batch” but that car won’t be sold on to a customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:17 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The trains that transport cars from factory to port can easily reach a mile in length. So if your car was first on the train, thats 2 miles+ before it’s even parked at the dock. It may be parked in a multi story waiting for a ship (like they have at Southampton). Add another mile or so.
Driving it to the top deck of a car shipping ship, 16+ decks, and back add another 2 miles and so it goes.
Generally <15 miles I’d say was acceptable for a new car.
It’s also a myth that employees joy ride cars. Instant sacking.

What they don’t do is take every car on a test drive outside the factory. Too much opportunity for damage. They will test on a rolling road as part of the production process. Someone posted a video of the process here). It would also take too much time. Mexico chucks out around 5-600 cars a day.

They may periodically test cars from a “batch” but that car won’t be sold on to a customer.
It is possible loading could account for the miles. A car might not need be driven the entire length of the train, though.

Video:

https://www.google.com/search?client...c6GSMhljo,st:0

I've seen videos of cars being put on a chassis dyno shortly after coming off the assembly line. Don't know for how long the cars are on the dyno.

I don't subscribe to the belief that new cars are joy driven. Videos I have seen of large ships being loaded with vehicles the process is pretty tightly choreographed. Even for loading the cars onto train cars or even just big rig car carriers is likewise pretty tightly controlled.
Appreciate 0